Jump to topic:

Do you care?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:37:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Today I was at the gym and going about my business in the locker room and a guy who works there was doing his job with putting towels away and doing what he does. I did notice that he seemed a bit happier than usual doing his job, and then I could see that he was clearly high. I really didn't care, it's a shi++y job, and if it makes his day a little better who am I to judge? A guy that I was next to, and an acquaintance was horrified and outraged. He was going to complain at the front desk about this guy who was going about his business under the influence of something. We aren't talking about performing brain surgery here, but folding towels and putting up with a lot of arrogant affluent a$$holes at this gym. I persuaded him to not complain; telling him that he would probably lose his job, and he would be responsible.

My question is, would you care? If someone was serving you your coffee and they were high would it really bother you?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:41:21 PM
At 4/26/2011 1:37:49 PM, innomen wrote:
My question is, would you care? If someone was serving you your coffee and they were high would it really bother you?

As long as they do so competently. My experience with stoners at McDonald's has been that they tend to eff up the order. Other than that, no I don't care.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:29:13 PM
At 4/26/2011 1:41:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

As long as they do so competently. My experience with stoners at McDonald's has been that they tend to eff up the order. Other than that, no I don't care.

exactly.

If I had the choice of someone that is high making my burger, or someone not high, guess what I'm going to choose.

Now, in your case (Innomen), you could see (before you noticed that he was "high") that the quality of his work was not aftered at that moment in time.

However, I can say that I've worked with people that were high at the time and I could notice it in the quality of their work. Name the speed at which they got things done. One time between jobs, I took a temporary job unloading boxes from trucks. It is boring work (though it isn't that hard, and can actually be relaxing for a few weeks to destress), but when some of the people would come in high (usually after a lunch break), they would be much slower, so we got less work done. Getting less work done means higher chance of getting fired, not something that I really want to risk. It usually meant that I picked up their slack for about a week until the boss caught them, fired them, and replaced them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:29:57 PM

When I was a waiter I had a table I was serving go to my manager and tell them I was high. I played the fool. Playing the fool wasn't too hard considering how high I was. Another time the manager caught me at the beginning of my shift and dressed me down for being high. I played the fool. The manager gave me the "I used to do it 20 years ago" speech, which I found interesting considering one of the coke-heads I worked with already told me how he gets her weed on occasion, but I played the fool. People who object to cannabis users are interesting and I only wish I could have the chance to get the average one of them in public and have the conversations that I have on DDO with them directly.
kfc
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:34:32 PM
I'd care. You're not being paid to get high, you're being paid to do your job. I wouldn't go out of my way to complain though, unless they were seriously fvcking up.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:40:40 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:29:13 PM, OreEle wrote:

exactly.

If I had the choice of someone that is high making my burger, or someone not high, guess what I'm going to choose.

That's ridiculous. So what would you have him do? Something less important? Sit home and collect welfare or unemployment? If you're at a burger joint you're committing more of an immoral act than the guy smoking weed behind the counter. Your inability to cook for yourself or pack a lunch is the reason he has to be there instead of doing something more productive or simply relaxing. Your further demand that he be sober while performing this uselessly menial task of feeding you (perhaps you can pay him to wipe the ketchup off your face afterwards?) is only turning a bad situation into an absurd one.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:44:13 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:40:40 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

exactly.

That's ridiculous. So what would you have him do?

Not get high while at work.

Something less important? Sit home and collect welfare or unemployment? If you're at a burger joint you're committing more of an immoral act than the guy smoking weed behind the counter. Your inability to cook for yourself or pack a lunch is the reason he has to be there instead of doing something more productive or simply relaxing. Your further demand that he be sober while performing this uselessly menial task of feeding you (perhaps you can pay him to wipe the ketchup off your face afterwards?) is only turning a bad situation into an absurd one.

You're right, we should stop eating fast food just so that he can have no job at all. Glad to see you're thinking of the dopers.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:44:39 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:34:32 PM, nonentity wrote:
I'd care. You're not being paid to get high, you're being paid to do your job. I wouldn't go out of my way to complain though, unless they were seriously fvcking up.

Yes, you're getting paid to do your job, and if you can get the job done while high, then so be it. It shouldn't matter what else you're doing long as your productivity is where it should be.

By your line of reasoning, people who work in cubicles shouldn't be allowed to listen to iPods because they're "getting paid to do the job not listen to iPods."

However, at my job, mp3 players are permitted and are even acknowledged to help us stay focused on our work more.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:45:24 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:40:40 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

exactly.

That's ridiculous. So what would you have him do? Something less important? Sit home and collect welfare or unemployment? If you're at a burger joint you're committing more of an immoral act than the guy smoking weed behind the counter. Your inability to cook for yourself or pack a lunch is the reason he has to be there instead of doing something more productive or simply relaxing.

If I wasn't at Burger King, he wouldn't have a job. If there was something more productive he could be doing, he would be doing it. The reason he's working at BK is because he's an unskilled laborer. What do you mean by "relaxing?" You mean collecting welfare benefits?

Your further demand that he be sober while performing this uselessly menial task of feeding you (perhaps you can pay him to wipe the ketchup off your face afterwards?) is only turning a bad situation into an absurd one.

Yeah, I don't really care if he's high. If he effs up my order, I'm going to complain to the manager about that, not because he's high.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:47:21 PM
No skin off my back, if they perform more poorly than a sober person I assume they'll get fired. Otherwise it really doesn't bother me.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:48:12 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:44:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Yes, you're getting paid to do your job, and if you can get the job done while high, then so be it. It shouldn't matter what else you're doing long as your productivity is where it should be.

As I said, I wouldn't complain unless they were fvcking up.

By your line of reasoning, people who work in cubicles shouldn't be allowed to listen to iPods because they're "getting paid to do the job not listen to iPods."

How do you reach that conclusions? Lol

If you're in customer service, you shouldn't be listening to an iPod. If you're interacting with customers, clients, or bosses, then no, there are things you shouldn't be doing. I go on DDO at work but I'd never do so while with a customer. Being high alters your frame of mind after you're done smoking, not just while you're smoking.

However, at my job, mp3 players are permitted and are even acknowledged to help us stay focused on our work more.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:50:57 PM

Some/most/younger kids have a tendency to slack off at work yet they still get paid. People like myself like to make sure they work while I am working but that is irrelevant.

You said it yourself you won't go out of your way to complain unless they are ... it up. Why would it bother you than when they do it right while high yet won't complain. If someone messes it up while high you will complain but you would most likely have complained even without the knowledge of him or her being high.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:52:11 PM

Something tells me what you really resent is your own responsibilities, which you don't feel you should have to endure alone ("I'm not allowed to do that at my job so he shouldn't be either"). It doesn't logically follow that you should become upset after finding out a guy made a hamburger while he was high. You would be a good test case for me to use to explain how capitalism naturally creates resentment amongst the people and helps solidify the individualist ("mine, mine") culture we currently have.
kfc
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:52:17 PM
My question is, would you care? If someone was serving you your coffee and they were high would it really bother you?:

Like you said, it's not like he's performing brain surgery or even driving little kids to school. If the guy wants to be high as a goddamn kite while he folds his towels, it's of no consequence to me.

The only time it would be an issue is if it was affecting his ability to perform his job, or if he really was a brain surgeon. Beyond that, no, I don't care either.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:56:49 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:50:57 PM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Some/most/younger kids have a tendency to slack off at work yet they still get paid. People like myself like to make sure they work while I am working but that is irrelevant.

You said it yourself you won't go out of your way to complain unless they are ... it up. Why would it bother you than when they do it right while high yet won't complain. If someone messes it up while high you will complain but you would most likely have complained even without the knowledge of him or her being high.

I've talked to people while they were high and I absolutely hate it. I can tell when someone is high and it's really annoying to hold a conversation with them. It is completely off-putting to the customer service experience to deal with someone who is high. It just changes my mood completely. And it seems like the employee is not even trying. There's a difference between someone making honest mistakes and someone messing up because they're high. I'm sure most people could do their job while talking on the phone as well. But you're not paid to talk on the phone, regardless of whether your productivity is still high. You're paid to not only work, but also to enhance the customer experience.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:58:19 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:52:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Something tells me what you really resent is your own responsibilities, which you don't feel you should have to endure alone ("I'm not allowed to do that at my job so he shouldn't be either"). It doesn't logically follow that you should become upset after finding out a guy made a hamburger while he was high. You would be a good test case for me to use to explain how capitalism naturally creates resentment amongst the people and helps solidify the individualist ("mine, mine") culture we currently have.

Lol what are you even talking about?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:58:31 PM
If the employer cares that his employees not be high, it's either because they're less productive when high or they look bad for the business when high, both of which are letigimate reasons for him to incentivize not being high on the job.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:02:05 PM
Rob---you're telling me if you went to the bank to see a financial planner, and the whole time they were texting away ,you wouldn't care? It's not really affecting their performance, except that the customer service experience is ruined.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:07:36 PM
By the way, my response that I would care was not a response to the OP. It was actually in response to Rob getting high while waiting tables. That's just shitty customer service.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:09:54 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:52:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

You do realize that this is a fallacious argument, right? You've left the issue at hand and have begun to speculate on a particular poster.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:18:00 PM
@nonentity

Not all jobs are customer service. You said that people shouldn't be listening to music and instead should be on the phone with customers, but I have a cubicle job as well and I don't deal with customers and only use the phone like once a month.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:26:23 PM
At 4/26/2011 3:18:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@nonentity

Not all jobs are customer service. You said that people shouldn't be listening to music and instead should be on the phone with customers, but I have a cubicle job as well and I don't deal with customers and only use the phone like once a month.

No, I was saying people should neither be listening to music nor on the phone on a personal call, while serving customers.

The same way you shouldn't be on the phone while waiting tables, you shouldn't be on drugs or alcohol while waiting tables. If you're not in customer service then obviously I'd have no reason to complain if I'm not interacting with you.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:32:40 PM
Today I was at the gym and going about my business in the locker room and a guy who works there was doing his job with putting towels away and doing what he does. I did notice that he seemed a bit happier than usual doing his job, and then I could see that he was clearly high. I really didn't care, it's a shi++y job, and if it makes his day a little better who am I to judge? A guy that I was next to, and an acquaintance was horrified and outraged. He was going to complain at the front desk about this guy who was going about his business under the influence of something. We aren't talking about performing brain surgery here, but folding towels and putting up with a lot of arrogant affluent a$$holes at this gym. I persuaded him to not complain; telling him that he would probably lose his job, and he would be responsible.

Strictly speaking, if he was high on something illegal, it has to be reported. Otherwise, why would you not report something that you saw that was clearly illegal?

Maybe you don't want the hassle, maybe you empathize with the criminal, maybe you think it should not have been a crime in the first place, or whatever. But I see you argued in the other post that emotions and personal feeling should have nothing to do with "judging" a crime :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:32:58 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:56:49 PM, nonentity wrote:
I've talked to people while they were high and I absolutely hate it. I can tell when someone is high and it's really annoying to hold a conversation with them. It is completely off-putting to the customer service experience to deal with someone who is high. It just changes my mood completely. And it seems like the employee is not even trying. There's a difference between someone making honest mistakes and someone messing up because they're high. I'm sure most people could do their job while talking on the phone as well. But you're not paid to talk on the phone, regardless of whether your productivity is still high. You're paid to not only work, but also to enhance the customer experience.

First off you claim to know when someones high. It is like gaydar, you can only claim it never actually prove it. (Yes you can ask them but would you?)

I'll grant your claim saying it is off putting to the customer experience but did the employee adequately assist in what you asked for? Not simply just being high that changed your mood, which clouds judgement.

You say it seems like their not even trying.

Seem - To appear to one's own opinion or mind.[1]

That alone is a problem because your justifying your thought without present fact.

Difference between a regular mistake and one while your high. What if their the same mistake than there is no difference. If one mistake happens often but one time the person is high is it more of a mistake?

[1]http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:36:11 PM
At 4/26/2011 3:32:40 PM, Indophile wrote:

Strictly speaking, if he was high on something illegal, it has to be reported. Otherwise, why would you not report something that you saw that was clearly illegal?

Maybe you don't want the hassle, maybe you empathize with the criminal, maybe you think it should not have been a crime in the first place, or whatever. But I see you argued in the other post that emotions and personal feeling should have nothing to do with "judging" a crime :)

I'm not a cop, he's not on trial, it's none of my business.
andyh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:39:31 PM

Do I care? A bit, but not that much. Is it unprofessional and should he be sacked? hell yeah!
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 3:45:04 PM
At 4/26/2011 3:36:11 PM, innomen wrote:
At 4/26/2011 3:32:40 PM, Indophile wrote:

True. So if it's none of your business, why should you care?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 4:03:36 PM
At 4/26/2011 3:39:00 PM, reddj2 wrote:
If i can smell it or the person is doing a bad job

If you can smell it? Cigarette smoke smells a lot worse than weed, actually I can think of a lot of odors that smell a lot worse than weed.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 4:11:29 PM

True. So if it's none of your business, why should you care?:

He doesn't. He wanted to know if we would.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)