Self defense?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 5:29:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.estacadanews.com...

Short end of the story, man shoots and kills a dog that was charging at him barking, fearful that it was going to attack him. He fired 12 shots at the dog (killing it) with children (aged 12 to 14) behind the dog (some 50 yards away). A bullet hole was found in a car that was feet from the children.

Long end of the story, the owner of the dog (and father of the children) came on the radio last night on my drive home (sorry, don't have a recording of that interview, will try to find it). He said that the shooter had called before and threatened to kill the dog several times. The dog owner believes that the shooter antanganized the dog to get it to charge just so that he could kill it and call it "self defense." The owner has also said that the shooter would like to go outside while his family was outside, and unload clips into the air to intimidate his family.

Some may view this as an exagerated story, some may say that this is only evidence that gun owners are violent killers, just itching for an excuse to unload an entire clip into some animal.

I say, only more evidence for street cameras and recording phone calls.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 5:54:20 PM
At 4/27/2011 5:29:19 PM, OreEle wrote:

Short end of the story, man shoots and kills a dog that was charging at him barking, fearful that it was going to attack him. He fired 12 shots at the dog (killing it) with children (aged 12 to 14) behind the dog (some 50 yards away). A bullet hole was found in a car that was feet from the children.

Long end of the story, the owner of the dog (and father of the children) came on the radio last night on my drive home (sorry, don't have a recording of that interview, will try to find it). He said that the shooter had called before and threatened to kill the dog several times. The dog owner believes that the shooter antanganized the dog to get it to charge just so that he could kill it and call it "self defense." The owner has also said that the shooter would like to go outside while his family was outside, and unload clips into the air to intimidate his family.

Some may view this as an exagerated story, some may say that this is only evidence that gun owners are violent killers, just itching for an excuse to unload an entire clip into some animal.

A case of: "he said, she said, dog dead."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 6:06:43 PM
At 4/27/2011 5:54:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Yep, that is why I support bugging the entire nation and video taping it. There would never be a "he said, she said" thing again, as everything would be recorded. It's gotten me out of a jam multiple times.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 6:16:39 PM
At 4/27/2011 6:06:43 PM, OreEle wrote:

Yep, that is why I support bugging the entire nation and video taping it. There would never be a "he said, she said" thing again, as everything would be recorded. It's gotten me out of a jam multiple times.

Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:30:12 PM
Yep, that is why I support bugging the entire nation and video taping it. There would never be a "he said, she said" thing again, as everything would be recorded. It's gotten me out of a jam multiple times.:

I hope that's just a sick joke
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 12:52:55 PM
At 4/27/2011 8:30:12 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Yep, that is why I support bugging the entire nation and video taping it. There would never be a "he said, she said" thing again, as everything would be recorded. It's gotten me out of a jam multiple times.:

I hope that's just a sick joke

It could work, you know. Only there will be some conditions that would need to be met.

Just off the top of my head.
The only way to view the recordings should be with the permission of the subject being viewed.
Only to be viewed in cases of dispute. (unless the subject wants to watch themselves)

As we all know, these are very easy to bypass (in the name of security). So unless one can guarantee that no "watching" will be done without express permission, this will remain a sick joke.

However, if such a guarantee can ever be given, there are untold benefits of such a recording system.

Just imagine how many times you have "lost" something. You can just go back and check where you misplaced it. Time saved
No he said, she said stuff (as raised here already)
No way to do "illegal" stuff. Anyone raising a complaint against anyone has to just get the pertinent time period viewed in front of a court.

I think there will be many more such advantages.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:29:51 PM
At 4/27/2011 6:06:43 PM, OreEle wrote:

The Illuminati loves you right now. Someone who is just begging for their enslavement.

Guess what, cameras don't always work. Here in my city, cops shot and killed an innocent man (veteran) carrying a liscenced gun in Costco and both Costco and the cops claimed to have lost ALL the tapes so that they wouldn't be indicted or found out. See, the governement can still beat you with a stick and shoot you in the face whether cameras are there or not.

See, I don't want the government tapping my phone because what if I'm trying to make a peaceful drug deal and then they arrest me and imprison me for 20 years? Isn't phone tapping just great? It's the epitome of freedom and security!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 3:09:25 PM

I'll debate you on this once Freeman's tournament is over.
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 3:28:25 PM
In regards to the large number of shots, which people always seem to be focused on, if it is true that the dog was aggressive and charged and the gun was drawn and fired then all ts would be fired before you were aware of it. It is only in the movies where you can hit a charging dog (or similar) and drop it in one shot - that is just fantasy.

In real life you keep shooting until you have no bullets and you will still keep pressing the trigger. That being said, it is not overly wise to risk shooting other people - but in such cases it is not like you can sit back and pontificate the results, it is just a reaction - unless you are very well trained and you are concentrating on being tactically aware.

That being said, he could have just killed the dog for the sake of killing it, but it is plausible it was not.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 6:05:27 PM
say i were to be caught by the throat by some fella, a huge fella.. a dude whose fists should nearly be registered as lethal weapons.. if i were to pull say a screwdriver outa my pocket and stick it into his throat a whole load of times, would ye think i'd get away with it on the grounds of self defense? even if say we'd history and if it was looked back on it mightn't go too favourably in my direction? if it was our first encounter of the day or even week and he just came up and grabbed me by the throat.. would ye think i'd get away with it on self defense stabbing him in the throat a whole load of times? would ye think?
signature
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 7:24:42 PM
At 4/28/2011 6:05:27 PM, badger wrote:

would ye think i'd get away with it on self defense stabbing him in the throat a whole load of times? would ye think?

If you had a good lawyer and the jury was tactically aware then maybe. If they had never been in a physical confrontation then there is a high chance they would think it unreasonable you stabbed him more than once and thus it was not defense and you were trying to kill him. If you have any SD training then you have a huge task ahead of you. It is unfortunate but the reality is that in real life, in any self-defense scenario you have to weigh the fact that you could be tried and convicted and even if you win, the financial cost could be crippling. But would you rather be poor or dead?