Jump to topic:

Illuminati

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 5:13:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So how many of you believe that there is a legitimate effort to control us? Is it diffuse and uncoordinated (i.e., a cumulative impact by individual firms who are not working together) or is it acute and highly conspiratorial?
kfc
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 12:17:29 AM
At 5/14/2011 11:04:40 PM, badger wrote:
you really hate conspriacy theories don't you puck? :P

Hate, no. It's more often a source of bemusement.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 8:50:50 AM
At 5/14/2011 10:53:49 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/14/2011 5:13:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
high

Ah.

Funny you should say that... I have been smoke-free since thursday night (for someone who smokes 4-5 times a day, that's a lifetime)! I'm done for the summer, while I try to find a new job and try to keep my lungs at full capacity for all the jogging I'll be doing.
kfc
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:09:42 AM
At 5/15/2011 8:50:50 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
high

Ah.

Funny you should say that... I have been smoke-free since thursday night (for someone who smokes 4-5 times a day, that's a lifetime)! I'm done for the summer, while I try to find a new job and try to keep my lungs at full capacity for all the jogging I'll be doing.

i'm off it too! well, i had a smoke last night :) but with the boys.. i've not smoked on my own since the sunday before last.. two weeks! :) that's probably longer than every other time i've been without it before put together! we should be quitting buddies!?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:12:57 AM
At 5/15/2011 9:09:42 AM, badger wrote:
At 5/15/2011 8:50:50 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
high

Ah.

i'm off it too! well, i had a smoke last night :) but with the boys.. i've not smoked on my own since the sunday before last.. two weeks! :) that's probably longer than every other time i've been without it before put together! we should be quitting buddies!?

haven't drank not a drop of beer in the last two weeks either! :) i've just all this spare money i wouldn't usually have that i've no clue what to do with lol..
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:17:44 AM
i'mma try and get myself addicted to buying stuff i'd say. i've my eye on an ulralight aerobatic airplane for 6k.. sounds like it'd be fun eh?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:20:35 AM
At 5/15/2011 9:17:44 AM, badger wrote:
i'mma try and get myself addicted to buying stuff i'd say. i've my eye on an ulralight aerobatic airplane for 6k.. sounds like it'd be fun eh?

i was also looking at a chemistry set to go making drugs with.. but i figure that wouldn't be the wisest choice considering where i'm coming from.
signature
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:43:35 AM
At 5/15/2011 12:17:29 AM, Puck wrote:
At 5/14/2011 11:04:40 PM, badger wrote:
you really hate conspriacy theories don't you puck? :P

Hate, no. It's more often a source of bemusement.

Well logic would be on my side, I would think. If there is power, then there is a struggle for it. If there is a struggle for it, then there are winners and losers. These winners would obviously make efforts to secure their positions. Who wouldn't? It would be completely against human nature to assert that people wouldn't do anything and everything they could to secure all the wealth and power they can. There must exist those who hold acute influence over key areas in the public and private sectors. The only argument worth having, then, is to what degree this influence reaches.

Do you think, Puck, that the checks and balances in our system are effective at preventing this? I personally believe that the scope of our governmental system has been exceeded by a long shot, and that there was a reason we were expected to revolutionize it before we reached this point. For example, the judicial branch was supposed to be left in a very uninfluential position. The Court self-appointed itself to a position of high authority about 100 years ago, and has since went on to exert large amounts of control over any area it wishes - even confiscating and deciding the 2000 Presidential election. The military-industrial complex is another issue of concern.
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:45:46 AM
OK Badger we will be quitting buddies for weed. Alcohol is different, however, because I drink lightly on a regular basis and I consider this a positive impact to my health.

So are we going to report-in when we lose our control over the smoke?
kfc
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 10:49:45 AM
well i'm hardly quitting alcohol.. i'm just taking a break.. i'm 21 the end of this month :)

if we've to report in i must admit i just smoked another joint with a few of the boys there.. took none of it home though!
signature
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 2:15:58 PM
At 5/15/2011 10:49:45 AM, badger wrote:
well i'm hardly quitting alcohol.. i'm just taking a break.. i'm 21 the end of this month :)

if we've to report in i must admit i just smoked another joint with a few of the boys there.. took none of it home though!

You suck... I'm having quite an urge here, and seriously considering breaking. Got some OG kush nuggets in front of me...
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 7:52:49 PM
At 5/15/2011 2:24:33 PM, badger wrote:
i'm stoned off my head on about my 10th pack of skittles. have at it!

Yeah so much for quitting buddies :)

I abstained... Dealt with another craving later on as well. It's not the THC I'm looking for, it's just the pleasure of being able to consume something I enjoy. It's a damned good thing that my physiology is not conducive to nicotine, or else I would have been a hardcore cigarette smoker. They should make a weed-flavored electric joint.

I wonder how many more cravings I'll have for the rest of the night :(
kfc
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:45:51 AM
At 5/15/2011 9:43:35 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Well logic would be on my side, I would think.

Logic doesn't take sides. It's a methodology. :P

There must exist those who hold acute influence over key areas in the public and private sectors. The only argument worth having, then, is to what degree this influence reaches.

The argument is what power is available to take, if it is taken, by whom, and how. Asserting 'people want power' doesn't assert your position anymore than me saying 'people like to get along' does mine. Conspiracies largely lack a solid epistemological basis in relating verifiable facts. Most rely on base assertions with a long string of 'yes but what about this ...'. It's entirely underwhelming.

Do you think, Puck, that the checks and balances in our system are effective at preventing this?

I think it's a non sequitur to assert anything on that.

I personally believe

K.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:56:14 AM
At 5/17/2011 1:45:51 AM, Puck wrote:
Conspiracies largely lack a solid epistemological basis in relating verifiable facts. Most rely on base assertions with a long string of 'yes but what about this ...'. It's entirely underwhelming.

http://www.debate.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:54:08 AM
At 5/17/2011 1:56:14 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/17/2011 1:45:51 AM, Puck wrote:
Conspiracies largely lack a solid epistemological basis in relating verifiable facts. Most rely on base assertions with a long string of 'yes but what about this ...'. It's entirely underwhelming.

http://www.debate.org...

Yup. Like I said ...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:57:08 AM
At 5/17/2011 2:55:31 AM, Puck wrote:
Maybe there should be a quote mining Olympics between creationists and conspiracists.

You can't claim "quote mining" unless you actually have proof that quote mining occurred and that the meaning of the quotes have been altered by taking them out of context. If not, your assertion is unfounded and baseless.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 2:58:39 AM
At 5/17/2011 2:57:08 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/17/2011 2:55:31 AM, Puck wrote:
Maybe there should be a quote mining Olympics between creationists and conspiracists.

You can't claim "quote mining" unless you actually have proof that quote mining occurred and that the meaning of the quotes have been altered by taking them out of context. If not, your assertion is unfounded and baseless.

It's called "reading in context". Try it. Like the whole thing. Not just ZOMGILLUMINATIPROOF.coms
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:03:03 AM
That and like I've told you multiple times, I'm not here to disprove your conspiracies - that's your own business. Don't expect me to find your evidence convincing however just because you think it is. I'm under no onus to publicly deconstruct what you consider proof.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:11:43 AM
At 5/17/2011 2:58:39 AM, Puck wrote:
It's called "reading in context". Try it. Like the whole thing. Not just ZOMGILLUMINATIPROOF.coms

Again, you have yet to demonstrate that the quotes were taken out of context in a meaningful way. You are merely asserting it.

At 5/17/2011 3:03:03 AM, Puck wrote:
That and like I've told you multiple times, I'm not here to disprove your conspiracies - that's your own business. Don't expect me to find your evidence convincing however just because you think it is. I'm under no onus to publicly deconstruct what you consider proof.

Then why make claims that you can't back up? You can dismiss it all you want, but you are not justified and don't have legitimate grounds for dismissing such conclusive evidence.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:42:21 PM
rob i'm back on the wagon.. or off it or whatever it is.. but yeah.. i've two fairly important tests the week of the 13th of june.. i figured i can't be seriously altering my brain state at this sort of time.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:25:43 PM
At 5/17/2011 1:42:21 PM, badger wrote:
rob i'm back on the wagon.. or off it or whatever it is.. but yeah.. i've two fairly important tests the week of the 13th of june.. i figured i can't be seriously altering my brain state at this sort of time.

by this i meant i'mma keep smoking weed :)
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:29:26 PM
At 5/17/2011 3:25:43 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/17/2011 1:42:21 PM, badger wrote:

by this i meant i'mma keep smoking weed :)

Hey, hadn't seen you in a couple days, you take a ride to Dublin to threaten the Queen or what?