Jump to topic:

Save the Planet? Not Worth It

racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 11:43:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Once you finally get over the idea you're some kind of cosmic real estate developer or an entrepreneurial mogul with Solar Systems 'experience' the sheer absurdity of the situation might sink in. Earth, Venus, Mercury and Mars, as entree, are really just a pack of space scouring dumpsters. 'Saving' such dreary space garbage is a good joke that costs nothing. Save the Earth from what? Boredom? Price rises? Greens? Communists? Once the sentiment, the syrup, the saccharine, the turgid schlok is put aside, have a look at you, the goldfish, floating comfortably in your solar system 'bowl' rabbiting on about your concept of "The Ocean". Funny or tragic?

The sheer arrogance of those harrumphing about 'The Environment' and its sacred status is an un-mockable sarcasm in itself. We live on a bubble of rocks and useless salt water floating on molten lava and gas pockets. Most of it is toxic and is not even worth photographing, let alone 'saving'. Anything worth having needs to be gouged out with brute force and extreme cunning. If the volcanoes and deserts and weather don't get you, the tiny little cancerous, infectious, viral, bacterial and fungicidal critters eventually will. Be astute. Nature is out to get you. All that walloping on about "Nature's Raw Beauty" and "God's Own Country" and other vapidly "Greens" twaddle can't mask the irony that your vapid wisdom, prayers, spirituality or 'chakras' are all quite useless during a volcanic eruption, a tsunami, an earthquake or a comet strike.

Curb you arrogance. It's only a matter of time. You don't even own your own fragile, shabby body that's destined to implode to rubble whether you live wisely or asininely. 'Saving' the planet with what? Acorns and campfires? Your fellow human critters - friends and neighbors - will keep you busy with assault, divorce, murderous mayhem and political betrayal. How you can trust your relatives, let alone the planet is the real mystery. You're no more than a wind-up toy, regardless of what the Pope tells you. You get no say in who manages your city, let alone get a glimpse of the 'big picture' - so give yourself the productive things you know you need and deserve - just to survive. Drugs, sex, rock music, dangerous sports idiocies and other social anesthetic. Anything - to numb your futile pain - and hide the shadow of the executioner's poised axe. You can only dodge the bullet for so long. But, cheer up- you could be living on Uranus - as a lawyer.`
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 5:52:42 AM
It is the birthplace of our species, that is why it is so sacred. In order to save this planet we must head to the stars and colonize new worlds.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
1stLordofTheVenerability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 1:15:36 PM
At 5/17/2011 5:52:42 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
It is the birthplace of our species, that is why it is so sacred. In order to save this planet we must head to the stars and colonize new worlds.

I thought that the point of this thread would be... "Why bother to try saving the world when it's supposed to end by this weekend or 2012 or some other point in the near future?" :P
racist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 4:49:08 PM
At 5/17/2011 1:15:36 PM, 1stLordofTheVenerability wrote:
At 5/17/2011 5:52:42 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I thought that the point of this thread would be... "Why bother to try saving the world when it's supposed to end by this weekend or 2012 or some other point in the near future?" :P

No, the point of this thread is that it is way too turgid and useless to be saved or destroyed by anyone or anything. It is a structure that even the Greeks couldn't tart up enough with their bad taste. A 'future' suggests some long term optimism. I can't imagine a planet anywhere in the alleged 'universe' being less dreary and tedious than this one. I mean, like, why would you bother with either? The world 'ending' requires a spectacularly good reason to expend so much effort. I'm afraid it will go on and on and on like Hollywood and the legal 'system'. Cheers.