The Link Between Conservatism and Racism

charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:36:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Establishing the Deeper Link Between Conservatism and Racism

The other day I was watching the film Edmond, about a character by that name who's an archetypal WASPish white-collar drone spending his whole life running the ole rat race. That is, until he experiences a midlife crisis of sorts and, among other things, gets in touch with his inner bigot and becomes a violently angry middle-aged white man. Well, I was listening to the commentary by the playwright David Mamet, who wrote the story, and he made a quite interesting observation. Mamet opined that for white people, despite their beautifully benign façade of liberality and political correctness, the fundamental issue they suffer from having to do with race is that deep down they believe that blacks and minorities are inferior.

I found this to be a really quite profound (although not unobvious) insight on his part, in that you can easily see how harboring the unconscious attitude that minorities are inferior can breed everything from disrespect, to insensitivity, to resentment and fear in the consciousness of Caucasians.

Certainly, if whites subliminally see their neighbors of color as below-par specimens of our species, well, this is going to cause some measurable reduction of respect for them and their dignity as human persons. It goes without saying that when we categorize people in terms of superior and inferior we're also gauging their worthiness of our respect according to which category our personal judgment places them in. It's quite crudely logical of course, people whom we judge to be superior receive our admiration, and those whom we evaluate to be of lesser human caliber we disdainfully look down on as society's detestable deadweight.

Just listen to how some supposedly unbigoted, hateless white individuals talk about minorities and the issues affecting them, you don't exactly have to have Superman's hearing to pick up on the undertone of disesteem and irreverence they have for the their more ethnic fellow citizens. The smug little remarks that put the blame for conditions in the ghetto entirely on its lackluster residents; the offhanded assumption that virtually no one who's benefited from affirmative action deserved the break it gave him/her; the disinclination to give folks whose ancestors hail from Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, etc. any credit for making a significant contribution to the supposed greatness of our civilization, all of this makes exceedingly audible the white person's core attitude that minorities haven't earned and aren't intrinsically entitled to the same respect as white-collar wearing, suburban-living, treadmill-running European members of society.

And, ipso facto, those people for whom we have little respect, well, they aren't exactly at the top of our sympathy list, so to speak. If we chauvinistically think that their problems and plight are the result of their own inferiority, of their putative lack of self-respect or a work ethic or what have you, then they seem to have little claim on our sympathy.

This does seem to be the "commonsense" point of view after all. Well, for people who aren't really of a sympathetic nature to begin with, all they have to do is find any sketchy tie-in of an individual's supposed faults to his troubles, and, voilà, they're off the hook free-and-clean from having to show any sympathy and compassion. Instead they can boost their egos by engaging in faultfinding and moralizing.

Now then, factor in race, factor in the white person's subconscious sense that minorities are unrespectable inferiors, the victims of their own inferiorities, not of a racist society, and you get the absence of sympathy that you find in many white hearts, you get the generalized and self-assured attitude of uncompassion for socioeconomically disadvantaged dark-skinned peoples. Quite simply, you get the insensitive perspective that "they" cause their own poverty and adversities, and that white society needn't recognize and shoulder any degree of blame on its own part.

What's more, that society needn't look at the possible economic and sociological factors it's created that may very well be contributing to the existential condition of human beings in our inner cities today, that these conditions can all be attributed to the black and brown man's lack of the "right stuff" to make it in our society, that black and brown people are just looking for excuses for failure when they assert that society is still structurally racist, all of this of course helps to produce and perpetuate white denial.

The morally cowardly tendency of whites to keep their heads firmly stuck in the sand, ostrich fashion, on the issue of race, to pooh-pooh its continuing reality for millions of melanin-rich persons, is made possible then by this rationalizing belief that it's really the inferiority of John and Jane Q. Minority that's manifesting in unemployment, welfare-dependency, crime, etc. Mm-hmm, we've finally reached a major insight here, for many whites it's not actual hatred, per se, that constitutes their racism, rather it's this racist canard of their Caucasian collective unconscious, that non-Caucasoids are inherently lesser creatures, and are self-victimizing kvetchers trying to shift the blame for their failure to flourish onto society.

Which is to say that when unsympathetic white folks nowadays talk about pet peeves such as welfare and the high crime rate of minorities, this is really their way of verbalizing and expressing their attitudinal racism, their way of implicitly saying that "Blacks and other minorities are low-grade and unworthy people whose genetic inferiority has led to them create a culture of poverty and violence". That is, when they give vent to such virulent views, hard-boiled honkies are not merely voicing a sociopolitical viewpoint, they're getting their bigotry off their chest in a thinly-veiled fashion. They maintain plausible deniability, even with themselves, they can tell themselves that their thoughts merely come from an honest place of politically-incorrect opinionation, but in actuality they're outing themselves as crypto-Archie Bunkers.

And then comes the resentment and anger and fear. Resentment against minorities for continuing to be the "white man's burden" in the form of all the tax dollars spent on social services and the penal system, the tag-team abysses that the albocracy casts minorities into these days. And a defensive resentment for being accused of being responsible for the social and economic grievances of minorities. Yep, ironically, not to mention hypocritically, whites who are always faulting minorities for having a victim mind-set indignantly cast themselves in the role of victim, victims of false allegations is how they self-justifyingly see themselves.

And in a vicious feedback loop of emotion, the white man and woman's racial resentment, anger, and fear all keep interfusing with one another, sometimes even coalescing into the open animus and belligerence of full-blown and stereotypical hatemongers. This all pretty much prevents whites from ever adequately appreciating the reality and cruelty of the inbuilt racism of our society, some even put up the lame defense of a willful naïveté that facilely dismisses racism and its unjust effects in our society altogether.

The conclusion is located directly below
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:37:46 PM
Conclusion

Now while all of the above analysis certainly applies to white individuals of varying political orientations, for a rather simple and psychological reason it applies to whites on the right in a much deeper and more distinct way. For you see, the fundamental thought patterns of right-wingers comprise an alpha male (and female) mentalité that interprets the world in crass binary terms of strong and weak, success and failure, superior and inferior. The conservative, that is, is someone who's far more prone than most to make simplistic and stern determinations, conscious and unconscious, about the quality, fitness, inferiority, and unworthiness of respect of his fellow man. The entire conservative cognitive makeup and worldview is actually geared to such judgmentalism, and when applied by whites to race it leads to a more staunchly bigoted perception and posture regarding ethnic groups of a non-European hue.

To grossly oversimplify it, when it comes to conservatives there really is a Paleolithic little mighty whitey homunculus holed up in the primitive recesses of their psyches, a chauvinistic alpha caveman grunting "Ugh, white people invent great civilization and conquer the world, black and brown people inferior".

This of course goes a long way in explaining why it is that conservatives appear to have race so much on the brain; why they have the biggest chip on their shoulders about race and what they consider to be reverse racism; why they're always griping about multicultural attacks on their vaunted Euro-American cultural tradition, and irritatedly defending the honor of great dead white guys, etc.

Well, all of this would certainly seem to suggest that conservatives have their own inner issues around the subject of race, which get expressed as their contempt for the claims of minorities to be victims, as their sneering disdain for the very concept of sensitivity to the sensibilities of non-whites, and as their hard-line opposition to creating more compassionate and effective legislation and programs to redress the poverty, inequality, and oppression that society visits on upon people of color.

Moreover, conservatives are also the stalwart apologists and defenders of a socioeconomic system predicated upon their dualistic superior-inferior thinking, i.e. capitalism, a system ideologically grounded in the concept of allowing the economic law of the jungle to reign, of granting alpha capitalists and corporate chieftains the permissive freedom and licentious latitude to do what they will.

That is, the kind of capitalism advocated by conservatives will never be accused of being a system that aspires to actualize social, economic, and racial equality. Rather, it inherently does just the opposite, it builds into itself the dominance of groups, the dominance of the class of capitalist wealth-owners, and the dominance of their racial kith and kin (you know, white people). Capitalism, alas, sets the societal stage for a downright segregative imbalance of economico-political and racial power that is the essence of racism, and thus and so the pronounced preference of the conservative's alpha mentalité for capitalism is another key factor in priming it to be amenable to racism.

Well, after all, the conservative's love of capitalism, of a system that's all about dominance-oriented individuals establishing their ability to subordinate their neighbors through the accumulation of wealth, catches the conservative's mind up in affirming the disparities, economic and ethnic, of such a system, and in the whole troglodytic take on life that typecasts people as either superior or inferior, and that thereby conduces to a view of poor non-whites as, you guessed it, inferiors.

Sorry then, but these quite characteristic psychological-ideological tendencies of conservative minds most definitely incline them in the benighted direction of anti-minority prejudice, and also tend to make conservative intolerance toward minorities a good deal more stubborn and dogmatic than that of non-conservatives. The conservative outlook, we find, is one that dangerously and disappointingly dovetails with the underlying thinking in terms of inferiority that insidiously leads whites down the dark and despicable path to the disrespect, insensitivity, resentment, hostility, and fear that define their particular brand of racism. Yes, the rightist mentalité is quite simply the hard nucleus of hate. The causal link is certainly there and demonstrable, it can be rationalized, but not denied.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:37:48 PM
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

nac
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:38:20 PM
At 6/15/2011 10:37:48 PM, mongoose wrote:
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

nac

I literally lost by a second.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:39:13 PM
At 6/15/2011 10:38:20 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 6/15/2011 10:37:48 PM, mongoose wrote:
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

nac

I literally lost by a second.

Or I guess between one and two seconds. One notation claims it's one, the other that it's two.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 11:24:16 PM
wanna know something funny? i could say the same thing (that white people tend to have an unconscious bias against people of color) in one sentence. and then i can support it with a link to a study.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...

(talking about this: http://faculty.washington.edu...)

the interesting thing is that this unconscious racial bias is not limited to conservatives or even to white people. many black people absorb and display these attitudes as well.

and all in a few lines. huzzah!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 11:31:24 PM
At 6/15/2011 10:36:54 PM, charleslb wrote:

The other day I was watching the film Edmond, about a character by that name who's an archetypal WASPish white-collar drone spending his whole life running the ole rat race. That is, until he experiences a midlife crisis of sorts and, among other things, gets in touch with his inner bigot and becomes a violently angry middle-aged white man. Well, I was listening to the commentary by the playwright David Mamet, who wrote the story, and he made a quite interesting observation. Mamet opined that for white people, despite their beautifully benign façade of liberality and political correctness, the fundamental issue they suffer from having to do with race is that deep down they believe that blacks and minorities are inferior.

Do you know what this is called? Feeling superior is called "pride."

I found this to be a really quite profound (although not unobvious) insight on his part, in that you can easily see how harboring the unconscious attitude that minorities are inferior can breed everything from disrespect, to insensitivity, to resentment and fear in the consciousness of Caucasians.

Yes, racist pride is completely negative. That's why I speak out about pride often.

Certainly, if whites subliminally see their neighbors of color as below-par specimens of our species, well, this is going to cause some measurable reduction of respect for them and their dignity as human persons. It goes without saying that when we categorize people in terms of superior and inferior we're also gauging their worthiness of our respect according to which category our personal judgment places them in. It's quite crudely logical of course, people whom we judge to be superior receive our admiration, and those whom we evaluate to be of lesser human caliber we disdainfully look down on as society's detestable deadweight.

Just listen to how some supposedly unbigoted, hateless white individuals talk about minorities and the issues affecting them, you don't exactly have to have Superman's hearing to pick up on the undertone of disesteem and irreverence they have for the their more ethnic fellow citizens. The smug little remarks that put the blame for conditions in the ghetto entirely on its lackluster residents; the offhanded assumption that virtually no one who's benefited from affirmative action deserved the break it gave him/her; the disinclination to give folks whose ancestors hail from Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, etc. any credit for making a significant contribution to the supposed greatness of our civilization, all of this makes exceedingly audible the white person's core attitude that minorities haven't earned and aren't intrinsically entitled to the same respect as white-collar wearing, suburban-living, treadmill-running European members of society.

And, ipso facto, those people for whom we have little respect, well, they aren't exactly at the top of our sympathy list, so to speak. If we chauvinistically think that their problems and plight are the result of their own inferiority, of their putative lack of self-respect or a work ethic or what have you, then they seem to have little claim on our sympathy.

This does seem to be the "commonsense" point of view after all. Well, for people who aren't really of a sympathetic nature to begin with, all they have to do is find any sketchy tie-in of an individual's supposed faults to his troubles, and, voilà, they're off the hook free-and-clean from having to show any sympathy and compassion. Instead they can boost their egos by engaging in faultfinding and moralizing.

Now then, factor in race, factor in the white person's subconscious sense that minorities are unrespectable inferiors, the victims of their own inferiorities, not of a racist society, and you get the absence of sympathy that you find in many white hearts, you get the generalized and self-assured attitude of uncompassion for socioeconomically disadvantaged dark-skinned peoples. Quite simply, you get the insensitive perspective that "they" cause their own poverty and adversities, and that white society needn't recognize and shoulder any degree of blame on its own part.

What's more, that society needn't look at the possible economic and sociological factors it's created that may very well be contributing to the existential condition of human beings in our inner cities today, that these conditions can all be attributed to the black and brown man's lack of the "right stuff" to make it in our society, that black and brown people are just looking for excuses for failure when they assert that society is still structurally racist, all of this of course helps to produce and perpetuate white denial.

The morally cowardly tendency of whites to keep their heads firmly stuck in the sand, ostrich fashion, on the issue of race, to pooh-pooh its continuing reality for millions of melanin-rich persons, is made possible then by this rationalizing belief that it's really the inferiority of John and Jane Q. Minority that's manifesting in unemployment, welfare-dependency, crime, etc. Mm-hmm, we've finally reached a major insight here, for many whites it's not actual hatred, per se, that constitutes their racism, rather it's this racist canard of their Caucasian collective unconscious, that non-Caucasoids are inherently lesser creatures, and are self-victimizing kvetchers trying to shift the blame for their failure to flourish onto society.

Which is to say that when unsympathetic white folks nowadays talk about pet peeves such as welfare and the high crime rate of minorities, this is really their way of verbalizing and expressing their attitudinal racism, their way of implicitly saying that "Blacks and other minorities are low-grade and unworthy people whose genetic inferiority has led to them create a culture of poverty and violence". That is, when they give vent to such virulent views, hard-boiled honkies are not merely voicing a sociopolitical viewpoint, they're getting their bigotry off their chest in a thinly-veiled fashion. They maintain plausible deniability, even with themselves, they can tell themselves that their thoughts merely come from an honest place of politically-incorrect opinionation, but in actuality they're outing themselves as crypto-Archie Bunkers.

And then comes the resentment and anger and fear. Resentment against minorities for continuing to be the "white man's burden" in the form of all the tax dollars spent on social services and the penal system, the tag-team abysses that the albocracy casts minorities into these days. And a defensive resentment for being accused of being responsible for the social and economic grievances of minorities. Yep, ironically, not to mention hypocritically, whites who are always faulting minorities for having a victim mind-set indignantly cast themselves in the role of victim, victims of false allegations is how they self-justifyingly see themselves.

And in a vicious feedback loop of emotion, the white man and woman's racial resentment, anger, and fear all keep interfusing with one another, sometimes even coalescing into the open animus and belligerence of full-blown and stereotypical hatemongers. This all pretty much prevents whites from ever adequately appreciating the reality and cruelty of the inbuilt racism of our society, some even put up the lame defense of a willful naïveté that facilely dismisses racism and its unjust effects in our society altogether.

Dude. I totally made it through the whole post. Is there some kind of induction ceremony for my 'first time?'
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 11:39:40 PM
At 6/15/2011 10:37:46 PM, charleslb wrote:
Conclusion

Now while all of the above analysis certainly applies to white individuals of varying political orientations, for a rather simple and psychological reason it applies to whites on the right in a much deeper and more distinct way. For you see, the fundamental thought patterns of right-wingers comprise an alpha male (and female) mentalité

Is that like "mentality" but a cool foreign version?

that interprets the world in crass binary terms of strong and weak, success and failure, superior and inferior. The conservative, that is, is someone who's far more prone than most to make simplistic and stern determinations, conscious and unconscious, about the quality, fitness, inferiority, and unworthiness of respect of his fellow man. The entire conservative cognitive makeup and worldview is actually geared to such judgmentalism, and when applied by whites to race it leads to a more staunchly bigoted perception and posture regarding ethnic groups of a non-European hue.

To grossly oversimplify it, when it comes to conservatives there really is a Paleolithic little mighty whitey homunculus holed up in the primitive recesses of their psyches, a chauvinistic alpha caveman grunting "Ugh, white people invent great civilization and conquer the world, black and brown people inferior".

Oh that's proposterous. Do you know that Mitt Romney "openly wept" when the first blacks were finally allowed into his church? And they were tears of joy, I tell you!

This of course goes a long way in explaining why it is that conservatives appear to have race so much on the brain; why they have the biggest chip on their shoulders about race and what they consider to be reverse racism; why they're always griping about multicultural attacks on their vaunted Euro-American cultural tradition, and irritatedly defending the honor of great dead white guys, etc.

Well, all of this would certainly seem to suggest that conservatives have their own inner issues around the subject of race, which get expressed as their contempt for the claims of minorities to be victims, as their sneering disdain for the very concept of sensitivity to the sensibilities of non-whites, and as their hard-line opposition to creating more compassionate and effective legislation and programs to redress the poverty, inequality, and oppression that society visits on upon people of color.

Moreover, conservatives are also the stalwart apologists and defenders of a socioeconomic system predicated upon their dualistic superior-inferior thinking, i.e. capitalism, a system ideologically grounded in the concept of allowing the economic law of the jungle to reign, of granting alpha capitalists and corporate chieftains the permissive freedom and licentious latitude to do what they will.

That is, the kind of capitalism advocated by conservatives will never be accused of being a system that aspires to actualize social, economic, and racial equality. Rather, it inherently does just the opposite, it builds into itself the dominance of groups, the dominance of the class of capitalist wealth-owners, and the dominance of their racial kith and kin (you know, white people). Capitalism, alas, sets the societal stage for a downright segregative imbalance of economico-political and racial power that is the essence of racism, and thus and so the pronounced preference of the conservative's alpha mentalité for capitalism is another key factor in priming it to be amenable to racism.

Well, after all, the conservative's love of capitalism, of a system that's all about dominance-oriented individuals establishing their ability to subordinate their neighbors through the accumulation of wealth, catches the conservative's mind up in affirming the disparities, economic and ethnic, of such a system, and in the whole troglodytic take on life that typecasts people as either superior or inferior, and that thereby conduces to a view of poor non-whites as, you guessed it, inferiors.

Sorry then, but these quite characteristic psychological-ideological tendencies of conservative minds most definitely incline them in the benighted direction of anti-minority prejudice, and also tend to make conservative intolerance toward minorities a good deal more stubborn and dogmatic than that of non-conservatives. The conservative outlook, we find, is one that dangerously and disappointingly dovetails with the underlying thinking in terms of inferiority that insidiously leads whites down the dark and despicable path to the disrespect, insensitivity, resentment, hostility, and fear that define their particular brand of racism. Yes, the rightist mentalité is quite simply the hard nucleus of hate. The causal link is certainly there and demonstrable, it can be rationalized, but not denied.

You better not be talkin' bout my man Ron Paul like that... momma said knock you out...
kfc
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 11:50:09 PM
Comrade Charles, serve the state!!!!!!!!
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:00:32 AM
My name is Charles! I can't beat libertarians in intellectual debate/rational argumentation so I resort to denigrating conservatives by somehow proving their racis (based on bullsh!t evidence)!!!!! Also, because I assume libertarianism is the same thing as conservatism, this theory must therefore attack libertarians on a personal level and thus prove my point!!!!

Charles, find yourself something to do besides criticizing the: well-off, the system that got the education to be able to spout nonsense, conservatives, and any person who somehow wants to make profit!

Not everyone in the world is a communist. Not everyone thinks that all the upper class are greedy, alpha-mentality conservatives. No, not even all black people believe in socialism.

So gtfo, or bring some real arguments, not some long-winded rant. I know you're not intellectually capable of grasping with the notion that you aren't always right, but come on: these diatribes are an embarrassment to liberals around the world.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:25:47 AM

We do that regardless of race. I judge my friends as being superior in value to strangers, and would judge my wife as being superior in value to a prostitute.

In terms of racial tension, however, I think you're vastly hyperbolizing. You can make arguments about the underlying racist tendencies of every white person, but this seems to lack both abstract and empirical backing (in the sense of solid scientific evidence in the case of the latter) where your presentation of the argument is concerned. There is certainly an argument to be made about group identity playing a part in the conferring of privilege and power to certain groups which regarded themselves as superior, i.e. whites. The argument could work because even those who oppose such privileges still benefit from them, even if unknowingly so. Still, I think you have to make a distinction between straight racism and benefiting from privilege. Even within racism, you have to differentiate between interpersonal, institutional, and unconscious racism. In your case, the latter two seem to be the most applicable, as the majority of blatant interpersonal racism has been washed away by social and political pressures.

From a libertarian standpoint, I don't think there's a justification for using political power to attempt to ban racist attitudes, but I think that education and social pressure to eliminate racist attitudes can be very effective, especially when you make use of group psychology and relational identity theories, both of which play a huge role in the way racism and privilege develop in the first place.

Just listen to how some supposedly unbigoted, hateless white individuals talk about minorities and the issues affecting them, you don't exactly have to have Superman's hearing to pick up on the undertone of disesteem and irreverence they have for the their more ethnic fellow citizens. The smug little remarks that put the blame for conditions in the ghetto entirely on its lackluster residents; the offhanded assumption that virtually no one who's benefited from affirmative action deserved the break it gave him/her

To interject: nobody deserves to be benefited by affirmative action. Affirmative action, both theoretically and practically, are really terrible ideas. As with the previous thread, I suggest a close reading of a lot of the empirical and abstract philosophical literature to familiarize yourself with both the massive practical failures of affirmative action, but also the problems with the political principles underlying those kinds of programs. There's literally no reason to have affirmative action except for your own emotional benefit, and for politicians who want to seem progressive to get votes. In neither case is a strong warrant actually present for such programs' existence, however.

the disinclination to give folks whose ancestors hail from Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, etc. any credit for making a significant contribution to the supposed greatness of our civilization, all of this makes exceedingly audible the white person's core attitude that minorities haven't earned and aren't intrinsically entitled to the same respect as white-collar wearing, suburban-living, treadmill-running European members of society.

That's an absurd conclusion. For one, you're making massive generalizations about the inner psychological states of all white people, which you hardly have evidence enough to make. For two, you're actually being implicitly racist as well. If a white person does a great achievement, nobody really notes the race. If a minority individual does something great, you and other "progressive" types decide to call that person out as being a "credit to their race". For three, people whose ancestors did great things shouldn't themselves get credit for being great.

I think the reverse argument is also true: just as much as you can't only think that people in cycles of poverty and such are lazy good-for-nothings, you also can't only think that everyone in those situations is a heroic spirit being crushed by the Man. It's an elegant byronic view of humanity, but not one to which I subscribe based solely on its elegance.

I prefer to make the argument that it isn't morally obligatory to provide relief for people in poverty or other unfortunate conditions. It's perhaps socially praiseworthy, but that's the extent of it. If I am inclined to give, I will. If not, I won't.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:25:50 AM

That's the case with racists, sure. And some white people are racist. This does not logically imply that all white people are secretly racist, nor even that most are secretly racist. You'll need a strong empirical warrant to take this argument where you want it to go.

I'll be straight with you on this one: I'm pretty sure "society", insofar as internal structure can be collectivized, is a lot less racist and oppressive, socially speaking, than you think it is.

Two things: first, you have to assume that racist tendencies are somehow inherent in Caucasians, which is problematic. It's true, psychologically, that groups tend to favor their own members (for many reasons which aren't really relevant to the point itself), but that doesn't mean that there's any "collective unconscious" that necessitates racism--especially given that collective consciousness (or unconsciousness) isn't a phenomenon. Collectives don't think or feel. Even granting "inherent Caucasian racism" on the basis of group identity theory, this leads to the second issue, which is that the phenomenon you describe wouldn't be fundamentally unique to Caucasians. It may manifest in a different form than in Hispanics, Asians, or Blacks, but it wouldn't be absent in any group.

Which is to say that when unsympathetic white folks nowadays talk about pet peeves such as welfare and the high crime rate of minorities, this is really their way of verbalizing and expressing their attitudinal racism, their way of implicitly saying that "Blacks and other minorities are low-grade and unworthy people whose genetic inferiority has led to them create a culture of poverty and violence"

There's no warrant for this argument. You have to presuppose that such is the intention of whites in order to assert that this is, in fact, the case. I, for example, am both white and extremely low on empathy; however, my reasons for opposing welfare, for example, aren't predicated upon considerations of race.

That is, when they give vent to such virulent views, hard-boiled honkies are not merely voicing a sociopolitical viewpoint, they're getting their bigotry off their chest in a thinly-veiled fashion. They maintain plausible deniability, even with themselves, they can tell themselves that their thoughts merely come from an honest place of politically-incorrect opinionation, but in actuality they're outing themselves as crypto-Archie Bunkers.

Again, this is just speculation. You have to assume the truth of your conclusion in order to assert it, which makes the whole argument circular and a problem of unwarranted attribution of intentionality.

Who actually does this? I mean, you can accuse whites of it, but it sounds like you're just using an "average white man" to represent the majority, if not the entirety, of Caucasians. Unfortunately, that's where you run into the ecological fallacy [http://en.wikipedia.org...].

As noted previously, I really think you're hyperbolizing and generalizing far too much. We can say that racism exists, and that oppressive behavior exists in places, but your arguments takes it much further without providing a warrant to justify the extension.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 3:25:54 AM
Conclusion

Now while all of the above analysis certainly applies to white individuals of varying political orientations, for a rather simple and psychological reason it applies to whites on the right in a much deeper and more distinct way. For you see, the fundamental thought patterns of right-wingers comprise an alpha male (and female) mentalité that interprets the world in crass binary terms of strong and weak, success and failure, superior and inferior. The conservative, that is, is someone who's far more prone than most to make simplistic and stern determinations, conscious and unconscious, about the quality, fitness, inferiority, and unworthiness of respect of his fellow man. The entire conservative cognitive makeup and worldview is actually geared to such judgmentalism, and when applied by whites to race it leads to a more staunchly bigoted perception and posture regarding ethnic groups of a non-European hue.

Though neurological studies have been done which demonstrate the amygdala of conservative-leaning individuals to be larger than that of their more liberal counterparts, I don't think that justifies the brutal oversimplification of conservative individuals that you're proposing here. At best, it's a rhetorical caricature.

Well, affirmative action programs do tend to function as reverse racism--especially those whose blatant intent is "increasing diversity", even if the cost is ignoring white individuals of equal or greater talent/qualifications based solely on the skin colors of each applicant. If the minority individual is of greater talent or qualification, affirmative action becomes unnecessary and irrelevant.

I'm more concerned with the facts that A) compassion isn't a collective emotion, and isn't experienced homogeneously by everyone, B) your "compassion" involves stealing from me to support other people, and C) if people are compassionate, they'll do their part without legislation--if they aren't, it doesn't matter how much power you give the state. Not to mention that compassion and economics don't mix well anyway. I can also pull through the argument made earlier: that you're basically trying to make your emotional whims and personal feelings pass for moral and political mandates, i.e. trying to universalize/force your values on everyone else. Not very compassionate. :P

False characterization of capitalism.

That is, the kind of capitalism advocated by conservatives will never be accused of being a system that aspires to actualize social, economic, and racial equality.

"Social equality" doesn't really mean anything at face value, "economic equality" is just crappy economics because it starts with a desired outcome and ad hocs an economic system, no matter how unintelligent and toxic, to get there, and "racial equality" also doesn't mean much, because total and absolute equality requires homogeneous value judgments, which A) can't be legislated, and B) would basically constitute the creation of "thought crime" if such legislation was attempted. My suggestion would be to dispense with race altogether, and deal with people based on their individual usefulness. That's just me, though.

Rather, it inherently does just the opposite, it builds into itself the dominance of groups, the dominance of the class of capitalist wealth-owners, and the dominance of their racial kith and kin (you know, white people). Capitalism, alas, sets the societal stage for a downright segregative imbalance of economico-political and racial power that is the essence of racism, and thus and so the pronounced preference of the conservative's alpha mentalité for capitalism is another key factor in priming it to be amenable to racism.

Capitalism doesn't ban racism, because it advocates total freedom of association. If I don't want to hire a black man because he's black, I have the right by freedom of association. You may not like it, you may call it unjust, and the community may rally against me to protest and put me out of business, but it's within my political freedom to do so.

I think my objections, e.g. fallacious reasoning, lack of warrants, hyperbolization, bad generalizing, inconsistency in claims about group psychology/identity theory, have been made clear enough that refutation of this paragraph simply entails repetition of previous counterarguments.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 6:09:22 PM
At 6/16/2011 3:25:54 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

It's hardly surprising that you fundamentally disagree with my characterization of capitalism. I won't go off in that direction here, however. Rather, I'll stay with the topic of racialism, and it's tie-in with the conservative orientation and weltanschauung.

Now then, some of you might have been wondering why I've written yet another post critically scrutinizing the racialism of the right, you might think that I'm merely off on a personal tangent, indulging a private pet peeve. Well, think again. Contrary to what ole cody, rarugged, et al here might like to believe, there are most certainly racialists, and racialists galore on their side of the political aisle. Here's an apropos televiewing anecdote for you, I tuned into The Ed Show last night, and what was the first segment all about? Yes indeedy, this society's, and more specifically, the conservative camp's issues with race. It would seem that of late conservatives in the media and public life have in fact been going into overdrive with their racialism, they certainly haven't been a force for goodwill and growth with regard to creating a more socially and racially just society.

No, instead right-wing radio jocks and the Republican agitprop purveyors on Fox News have been hyping and harping on racially divisive hot topics, using easily deciphered code talk and not-so-subtle innuendo to pander to and foment the bigoted perspective of their audience. That the celebrities of the conservative movement see fit to fix upon the race question, that they do so not to advocate tolerance and color-blind brotherly love, that they have a large fan base that's on the same racially ignorant and irate page with them, and that negrophobically fuming average-Joe conservatives can be so readily incited into outright anti-minority aversion and animosity, i.e. hatred, all rather stands in refutation of the claim of conservatives that they're quite benign when it comes to race issues.

Well, on race as on so many questions, conservative are practically literally talking out of both sides of their mealy mouths. From the side of their mouths that they talk to the general, non-conservative public from they disavow racism, and from the racially rageful right corner of their mugs they spout to one another the thinly-veiled hate speech repressed just beneath the surface of their psyches. You-all may not agree entirely with my analysis, but it's hard to deny that conservative have deep psychological and ideological race issues.

Another thing that highlights this is the very self-disclosing discomfort that mainstream conservatives have with the right's stridently racialist lunatic fringe. For instance, recently conservatives in congress have pressured the Department of Homeland Security to lay off of monitoring hatemongering militia groups, i.e. potential domestic terrorists on the right. Why is this, why not keep tabs on extremists who advocate violence and like to play with assault weapons? Could it possibly, conceivably be that attention to such groups translates into attention being focused on the right's inherent predisposition to racialism? Hmm? Could it be that conservative politicians realize that the "patriot movement" is nakedly revealing an ugliness that lies within the whole conservative movement and the core conservative mentality, and therefore they don't wish to have too much scrutiny directed at it?

The answer is yes, "centrist" conservatives fear that their more blatantly bigoted cousins on conservatism's farthest right fringe will expose the truth about their ideology vis–à–vis race, and the truth of the psychologically atavistic place that most of their views and policies come from.

Finally, one more topical thing that points up the conservative movement's race issues, the "birther" phenomenon. It's of course entirely a conservative phenomenon. It's exclusively been Republican politicos, Limbaugh clones, and the right-leaning capitalist Donald Trump who've been promoting the xenophobic notion that perhaps the U.S.'s biracial president isn't really a citizen. This is obviously just a way of expressing the conservative's racialist, tribalistic mentality that someone of Obama's ethnic background isn't really "one of us". That is, the birther movement is just a pretextual way for conservatives to vent their racialist bile with plausible deniability.

Yep, apparently conservatives have neither the honesty nor the self-awareness to recognize and admit their race issues, so instead they use red herrings such as Obama's supposed lack of a birth certificate, crime, welfare, immigration, etc. to dissemblingly vocalize their vile anti-black & brown viewpoint. This is why I've lately been focusing on race, not because I'm "hung up" on the topic, but because conservatives are, and because the race issues of the right give us insight into the primitive nitty-gritty of the only semiconscious and heavily guarded conservative mind-set.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 10:56:15 PM
At 6/16/2011 6:09:22 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 6/16/2011 3:25:54 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

It's hardly surprising that you fundamentally disagree with my characterization of capitalism. I won't go off in that direction here, however. Rather, I'll stay with the topic of racialism, and it's tie-in with the conservative orientation and weltanschauung.

Now then, some of you might have been wondering why I've written yet another post critically scrutinizing the racialism of the right, you might think that I'm merely off on a personal tangent, indulging a private pet peeve. Well, think again. Contrary to what ole cody, rarugged, et al here might like to believe, there are most certainly racialists, and racialists galore on their side of the political aisle. Here's an apropos televiewing anecdote for you, I tuned into The Ed Show last night, and what was the first segment all about? Yes indeedy, this society's, and more specifically, the conservative camp's issues with race. It would seem that of late conservatives in the media and public life have in fact been going into overdrive with their racialism, they certainly haven't been a force for goodwill and growth with regard to creating a more socially and racially just society.

No, instead right-wing radio jocks and the Republican agitprop purveyors on Fox News have been hyping and harping on racially divisive hot topics, using easily deciphered code talk and not-so-subtle innuendo to pander to and foment the bigoted perspective of their audience. That the celebrities of the conservative movement see fit to fix upon the race question, that they do so not to advocate tolerance and color-blind brotherly love, that they have a large fan base that's on the same racially ignorant and irate page with them, and that negrophobically fuming average-Joe conservatives can be so readily incited into outright anti-minority aversion and animosity, i.e. hatred, all rather stands in refutation of the claim of conservatives that they're quite benign when it comes to race issues.

Well, on race as on so many questions, conservative are practically literally talking out of both sides of their mealy mouths. From the side of their mouths that they talk to the general, non-conservative public from they disavow racism, and from the racially rageful right corner of their mugs they spout to one another the thinly-veiled hate speech repressed just beneath the surface of their psyches. You-all may not agree entirely with my analysis, but it's hard to deny that conservative have deep psychological and ideological race issues.

Another thing that highlights this is the very self-disclosing discomfort that mainstream conservatives have with the right's stridently racialist lunatic fringe. For instance, recently conservatives in congress have pressured the Department of Homeland Security to lay off of monitoring hatemongering militia groups, i.e. potential domestic terrorists on the right. Why is this, why not keep tabs on extremists who advocate violence and like to play with assault weapons? Could it possibly, conceivably be that attention to such groups translates into attention being focused on the right's inherent predisposition to racialism? Hmm? Could it be that conservative politicians realize that the "patriot movement" is nakedly revealing an ugliness that lies within the whole conservative movement and the core conservative mentality, and therefore they don't wish to have too much scrutiny directed at it?

The answer is yes, "centrist" conservatives fear that their more blatantly bigoted cousins on conservatism's farthest right fringe will expose the truth about their ideology vis–à–vis race, and the truth of the psychologically atavistic place that most of their views and policies come from.

Finally, one more topical thing that points up the conservative movement's race issues, the "birther" phenomenon. It's of course entirely a conservative phenomenon. It's exclusively been Republican politicos, Limbaugh clones, and the right-leaning capitalist Donald Trump who've been promoting the xenophobic notion that perhaps the U.S.'s biracial president isn't really a citizen. This is obviously just a way of expressing the conservative's racialist, tribalistic mentality that someone of Obama's ethnic background isn't really "one of us". That is, the birther movement is just a pretextual way for conservatives to vent their racialist bile with plausible deniability.

Yep, apparently conservatives have neither the honesty nor the self-awareness to recognize and admit their race issues, so instead they use red herrings such as Obama's supposed lack of a birth certificate, crime, welfare, immigration, etc. to dissemblingly vocalize their vile anti-black & brown viewpoint. This is why I've lately been focusing on race, not because I'm "hung up" on the topic, but because conservatives are, and because the race issues of the right give us insight into the primitive nitty-gritty of the only semiconscious and heavily guarded conservative mind-set.

I have a Democrat friend who is a racist. THE LEFT IS PRO-RACISM!!!!!
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:03:55 AM
At 6/16/2011 10:45:12 PM, David-Duke wrote:
I don't understand...what is wrong about being racist?

Oh great, a troll. Do you expect us to get ourselves all in a tizzy over your comment?
kfc
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 1:18:01 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:00:32 AM, rarugged wrote:
My name is Charles! I can't beat libertarians in intellectual debate/rational argumentation so I resort to denigrating conservatives by somehow proving their racis (based on bullsh!t evidence)!!!!! Also, because I assume libertarianism is the same thing as conservatism, this theory must therefore attack libertarians on a personal level and thus prove my point!!!!

Charles, find yourself something to do besides criticizing the: well-off, the system that got the education to be able to spout nonsense, conservatives, and any person who somehow wants to make profit!

Not everyone in the world is a communist. Not everyone thinks that all the upper class are greedy, alpha-mentality conservatives. No, not even all black people believe in socialism.

So gtfo, or bring some real arguments, not some long-winded rant. I know you're not intellectually capable of grasping with the notion that you aren't always right, but come on: these diatribes are an embarrassment to liberals around the world.:

Dear Lord, I think I'm in love. Blistering logic, and written with such barbed wit.

Two thumbs way up.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:27:47 PM
Apparently many on the right of the political-ideological aisle are of the view that downplaying, disavowing, and shifting responsibility for racism to minorities = not being racist. Conversely, if someone refuses to join in the collective soft-pedaling and denial of the reality that social discrimination and inequality is more grievous toward non-whites, if someone instead chooses to focus in a critical fashion on this unfortunate and reprehensible reality, well, that person is accused of villainies such as "race baiting". And, what's more, any strong criticisms of our society's power structure vis–à–vis race are equated with racism, or "reverse racism". In the warped ideological universe of conservatives it's the critic of racism who's the despicable bigot!

Yes, conservatives are wont to turn the argumental tables, project their own moral guiltiness, and glibly give back the charge of racism to those who lay it at the societal doorstep of white people. The conservative's approach to dealing with racism is to not do so, i.e. to take the ole "see no evil, hear no evil, and most imperatively of all, speak no evil". And in a bit of trite tit for tat, those who do have the chutzpah to speak, and speak honestly and critically about the evil of racism are the ones who are deemed to be the cause of our society's race problems.

Society's endemically inequitable capitalist status quo, which manifestly makes for socioeconomic divisions and disparities falling along both class and racial lines, is not viewed by conservatives as a troubling thing, or as the underlying socioeconomic matrix of all social and racial injustice. No, conservatives are of course the great apologists and advocates of capitalism, they're not about to see any portion of blame for anything negative assigned to their ideologically cherished and idolized chimera of an idyllic capitalist society. So of course it has to be the complainers, the censurers, the condemners of capitalism and its tendency to harbor a classist & racist pecking order who are the troublemakers and sewers of racist attitudes. Such is the facile and fallacious reasoning of the right.

Most sadly, yes, when it comes to the question of our society's ongoing miscarriage of racial justice, conservatives apparently lack the conscientious interest, the characterful integrity, and the critical intelligence to recognize and forthrightly fess up to the complicity of capitalism in permitting and perpetuating it – and the complicity of conservatism itself in capitalism's many social and racialist transgressions.

The intellectual defensiveness, ideological escapism, moral cowardice, and self-protective psychological strategy of hiding behind anger practiced by conservatives on the issue of race is a rather obvious case of people not being able to come to terms with their own culpability in the world's wrongs. Naturally enough, we all like to think that individually we're above it all, above being a party to all the hate and harm perpetrated by our nation, our leaders, and our less noble-minded neighbors. Nope, none of us is too terribly eager to take on the moral stain of racism and all the other iniquities of our capitalist society. But conservatives, well, conservatives take the evasion of personal responsibility for societal sins to another level.

After all, conservatives are people of a dogmatic mentality, so of course they have a predictable tendency to get quite creedbound in their commitment to championing their ideology, and their beloved capitalist society against any and all adverse criticism. Add to this the fact that conservatism and capitalism have so much evil on their historical tab to be defended against, and is it any wonder that conservatives are so irritably defensive?! No, it's no wonder at all, and not that complicated to understand.

As historically it's been conservatives who've been the staunchest enemies of most social progress, of everything from the New Deal to help the victims of the Great Depression, to the Civil Rights Movement to redress some of society's racial crimes; as it's always been, as it still is today, conservatives who've advocated for the ruling class and their special interests, against the interests of the working class and the poor; and as it's always been conservatives who are the hawks, the ones most gung ho for their country's greed-motivated wars; as it's the case that conservatives have all of this to justify, of course they become great rationalizers and highly, grumpily resistant to the slightest critical scrutiny.

Conservatives, then, are being rather hypocritical when they find fault with others for being too "sensitive", when they disdain and mock "sensitivity". For it's conservatives who ironically are the most sensitive among us, sensitive to it being pointed up that they, their ideological confrères, and their capitalist heroes have so much innocent working-class, Third-World, black & brown blood on their hands.

Poignantly, conservatives are just too sensitive and vulnerable on issues such as race for most of them to summon the emotional and mental wherewithal to discuss the subject in good faith. Hence what you get instead is indignant recriminations hurled back at you, and the conservative's unconstructive attempt to logocize his way out of his philosophy's foibles. No conservative can be a part of a productive debate on the topic of racism until he/she first goes deep within to honestly and honorably examine the unconscious reasons for his ideological insecurity, and the negative, toxic nature of his conservative mentalité.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:45:38 PM
You could have just said "Nuh uh, No U" and no content would have been lost.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 10:48:17 PM
except this comedy

"Hence what you get instead is indignant recriminations hurled back at you, "
Because "indignant recriminations" in the first place is all that was hurled at them in the first place. Of course they're going to throw it back, you haven't given any real reason why you're excluded, and you're the one who started throwing them.

As you acknowledged or you'd simply say hurl, not hurl back.

And a bunch of equivocation on what a conservative is, I guess you'd lose that too.

But other than that?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 11:23:29 PM
At 6/18/2011 10:27:47 PM, charleslb wrote:
Apparently many on the right of the political-ideological aisle are of the view that downplaying, disavowing, and shifting responsibility for racism to minorities = not being racist. Conversely, if someone refuses to join in the collective soft-pedaling and denial of the reality that social discrimination and inequality is more grievous toward non-whites, if someone instead chooses to focus in a critical fashion on this unfortunate and reprehensible reality, well, that person is accused of villainies such as "race baiting". And, what's more, any strong criticisms of our society's power structure vis–à–vis race are equated with racism, or "reverse racism". In the warped ideological universe of conservatives it's the critic of racism who's the despicable bigot!

Yes, conservatives are wont to turn the argumental tables, project their own moral guiltiness, and glibly give back the charge of racism to those who lay it at the societal doorstep of white people. The conservative's approach to dealing with racism is to not do so, i.e. to take the ole "see no evil, hear no evil, and most imperatively of all, speak no evil". And in a bit of trite tit for tat, those who do have the chutzpah to speak, and speak honestly and critically about the evil of racism are the ones who are deemed to be the cause of our society's race problems.

Society's endemically inequitable capitalist status quo, which manifestly makes for socioeconomic divisions and disparities falling along both class and racial lines, is not viewed by conservatives as a troubling thing, or as the underlying socioeconomic matrix of all social and racial injustice. No, conservatives are of course the great apologists and advocates of capitalism, they're not about to see any portion of blame for anything negative assigned to their ideologically cherished and idolized chimera of an idyllic capitalist society. So of course it has to be the complainers, the censurers, the condemners of capitalism and its tendency to harbor a classist & racist pecking order who are the troublemakers and sewers of racist attitudes. Such is the facile and fallacious reasoning of the right.

Most sadly, yes, when it comes to the question of our society's ongoing miscarriage of racial justice, conservatives apparently lack the conscientious interest, the characterful integrity, and the critical intelligence to recognize and forthrightly fess up to the complicity of capitalism in permitting and perpetuating it – and the complicity of conservatism itself in capitalism's many social and racialist transgressions.

The intellectual defensiveness, ideological escapism, moral cowardice, and self-protective psychological strategy of hiding behind anger practiced by conservatives on the issue of race is a rather obvious case of people not being able to come to terms with their own culpability in the world's wrongs. Naturally enough, we all like to think that individually we're above it all, above being a party to all the hate and harm perpetrated by our nation, our leaders, and our less noble-minded neighbors. Nope, none of us is too terribly eager to take on the moral stain of racism and all the other iniquities of our capitalist society. But conservatives, well, conservatives take the evasion of personal responsibility for societal sins to another level.

After all, conservatives are people of a dogmatic mentality, so of course they have a predictable tendency to get quite creedbound in their commitment to championing their ideology, and their beloved capitalist society against any and all adverse criticism. Add to this the fact that conservatism and capitalism have so much evil on their historical tab to be defended against, and is it any wonder that conservatives are so irritably defensive?! No, it's no wonder at all, and not that complicated to understand.

As historically it's been conservatives who've been the staunchest enemies of most social progress, of everything from the New Deal to help the victims of the Great Depression, to the Civil Rights Movement to redress some of society's racial crimes; as it's always been, as it still is today, conservatives who've advocated for the ruling class and their special interests, against the interests of the working class and the poor; and as it's always been conservatives who are the hawks, the ones most gung ho for their country's greed-motivated wars; as it's the case that conservatives have all of this to justify, of course they become great rationalizers and highly, grumpily resistant to the slightest critical scrutiny.

Conservatives, then, are being rather hypocritical when they find fault with others for being too "sensitive", when they disdain and mock "sensitivity". For it's conservatives who ironically are the most sensitive among us, sensitive to it being pointed up that they, their ideological confrères, and their capitalist heroes have so much innocent working-class, Third-World, black & brown blood on their hands.

Poignantly, conservatives are just too sensitive and vulnerable on issues such as race for most of them to summon the emotional and mental wherewithal to discuss the subject in good faith. Hence what you get instead is indignant recriminations hurled back at you, and the conservative's unconstructive attempt to logocize his way out of his philosophy's foibles. No conservative can be a part of a productive debate on the topic of racism until he/she first goes deep within to honestly and honorably examine the unconscious reasons for his ideological insecurity, and the negative, toxic nature of his conservative mentalité.

You're such a pretentious MSNBC teleprompter.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 2:54:21 PM

Well, I was listening to the commentary by the playwright David Mamet, who wrote the story, and he made a quite interesting observation. Mamet opined that for white people, despite their beautifully benign façade of liberality and political correctness, the fundamental issue they suffer from having to do with race is that deep down they believe that blacks and minorities are inferior.

They are inferior. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Inb4 "you're a bigot Sieben". Of course I do not mean they are morally inferior, or inferior in some metaphysical sense. Just empirically in certain areas.

I found this to be a really quite profound (although not unobvious)
One might even say it is "obvious" (although not quite unprofound).

insight on his part, in that you can easily see how harboring the unconscious attitude that minorities are inferior can breed everything from disrespect, to insensitivity, to resentment and fear in the consciousness of Caucasians.

They have a pretty anti-intellectual culture.

Inb4 white people have anti-intellectual cultures too.

I live on the poor side of town. I feel legitimately sorry for truly poor people, but all the minorities blow their money on beer, chips and candy. Everyone has metabolic syndrome or diabetes. At least 3 times a day, ambulances responding to the associated health problems wail through, repeatedly sounding their horns because people will try to assert their "right of way". Pulling over to the side is completely out of the question. These people are human garbage.

The smug little remarks that put the blame for conditions in the ghetto entirely on its lackluster residents;

PC nazis like you make it impossible to address the underlying problem. Some people are scum. No point treating them like they could emulate white middle class family sitcoms.

all of this makes exceedingly audible the white person's core attitude that minorities haven't earned and aren't intrinsically entitled to the same respect as white-collar wearing, suburban-living, treadmill-running European members of society.

You let me know when you want a black doctor who got there on AA to perform open heart surgery on you.

You know who society has even less respect and tolerance for? People who say what I'm saying. Where's my affirmative action?

Instead they can boost their egos by engaging in faultfinding and moralizing.

When you are poor and spending 20% of your income on beer, you can crawl down a hole and die. Real poor people eat brown rice, eggs, and drink water. I feel legitimately sorry for people dieing in the third world but the majority of poor americans can go suck a shotgun.

High time preference. Excessive hedonism. It is super easy to "make it" in society. You can be a total jackoff and still do fine. Civilization is responsible for the degredation of human fitness. That's all. It is unproblematic.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 4:03:02 PM
Let's look for the racist comments in Charles' essay by translating it into English:

The other day I was watching the film Edmond, about a character by that name who's an archetypal WASPish white-collar drone spending his whole life running the ole rat race. That is, until he experiences a midlife crisis of sorts and, among other things, gets in touch with his inner bigot and becomes a violently angry middle-aged white man.

White people, especially of Anglo-Saxon ancestry, harbor inner racism, are drones, etc. 'White people are racist' is itself not a racist statement at all.

What a terrible thing is the consciousness of a Caucasian! They are disrespectful, fearful, insensitive, resentful people. This is not racist at all because they are white.

Certainly, if whites subliminally see their neighbors of color as below-par specimens of our species, well, this is going to cause some measurable reduction of respect for them and their dignity as human persons.

Whites think non-whites are inferior. I know this because trolololol. How inferior white people are to the morally enlightened people of other races!

all of this makes exceedingly audible the white person's core attitude that minorities haven't earned and aren't intrinsically entitled to the same respect as white-collar wearing, suburban-living, treadmill-running European members of society.

The core of a white person is so audible. I can hear the intolerance from here! They live in suburbs, use treadmills, and do other awful things!

White people sometimes think that people are at least partly responsible for their own problems. Only a racist white person could think that.

White people have no compassion, so they come up with ad hoc justifications for their inner hatred of others and egoism. That is what white people are all like. I'm not racist trolololol!

and you get the absence of sympathy that you find in many white hearts,

White people have an absence of sympathy in their heart, which is why black people don't make as much money as them. That is the only possible explanation. White people are evil.

you get the generalized and self-assured attitude of uncompassion for socioeconomically disadvantaged dark-skinned peoples. Quite simply, you get the insensitive perspective that "they" cause their own poverty and adversities, and that white society needn't recognize and shoulder any degree of blame on its own part.

White people make binary distinctions between certain groups because they are bad, unlike non-white people. White society and culture is subject to criticism and other cultures aren't because that would be racist. OMG I am so internally consistent!

What's more, that society needn't look at

I still think societies do things even though that makes no sense. It's also racist, because no only are whites racist but abstract concepts associated with whites are racist in themselves.

The morally cowardly tendency of whites

Do I even need to translate this? Trolololol not racist!

to keep their heads firmly stuck in the sand, ostrich fashion, on the issue of race, to pooh-pooh its continuing reality for millions of melanin-rich persons, is made possible then by this rationalizing belief that it's really the inferiority of John and Jane Q. Minority that's manifesting in unemployment, welfare-dependency, crime, etc. Mm-hmm, we've finally reached a major insight here, for many whites it's not actual hatred, per se, that constitutes their racism, rather it's this racist canard of their Caucasian collective unconscious, that non-Caucasoids are inherently lesser creatures, and are self-victimizing kvetchers trying to shift the blame for their failure to flourish onto society.

Blah blah blah white people are awful...

Which is to say that when unsympathetic white folks nowadays talk about pet peeves such as welfare and the high crime rate of minorities, this is really their way of verbalizing and expressing their attitudinal racism,

When people take you money and give it to other people who commit lots of crimes, you have no right to complain. Only a racist objects to that.

That is, when they give vent to such virulent views, hard-boiled honkies are not merely voicing a sociopolitical viewpoint, they're getting their bigotry off their chest in a thinly-veiled fashion.

Now I'll just start using racial slurs because it's not like I could get more offensive. Oh, it doesn't count as offensive because it's against white people.

White people are all resentful, angry, and fearful of the poor, innocent minorities who they like to torture for fun. What awful people.

Just read the above paragraph. It's racist to the core, except somehow not really. Stupid, angry, resentful, naive, , belligerent, hatemongering white people. How did they get so racist? Must be some fault in their genes.

Part 2 coming up.