Jump to topic:

The Venus Project

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 8:25:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Venus Project is an organization that proposes a feasible plan of action for social change, one that works towards a peaceful and sustainable global civilization. It outlines an alternative to strive toward where human rights are no longer paper proclamations but a way of life.

We operate out of a 21.5-acre Research Center located in Venus, Florida.

When one considers the enormity of the challenges facing society today, we can safely conclude that the time is long overdue for us to reexamine our values, and to reflect upon and evaluate some of the underlying issues and assumptions we have as a society. This self-analysis calls into question the very nature of what it means to be human, what it means to be a member of a "civilization," and what choices we can make today to ensure a prosperous future for all the world's people.

At present we are left with very few alternatives. The answers of yesterday are no longer relevant. Either we continue as we have been with our outmoded social customs and habits of thought, in which case our future will be threatened, or we can apply a more appropriate set of values that are relevant to an emergent society.

Experience tells us that human behavior can be modified, either toward constructive or destructive activity. This is what The Venus Project is all about - directing our technology and resources toward the positive, for the maximum benefit of people and planet and seeking out new ways of thinking and living that emphasize and celebrate the vast potential of the human spirit. We have the tools at hand to design - and build - a future that is worthy of the human potential. The Venus Project presents a bold, new direction for humanity that entails nothing less than the total redesign of our culture. What follows is not an attempt to predict what will be done - only what could be done. The responsibility for our future is in our hands, and depends on the decisions that we make today. The greatest resource that is available today is our own ingenuity.

While social reformers and think tanks formulate strategies that treat only superficial symptoms, without touching the basic social operation, The Venus Project approaches these problems somewhat differently. We feel we cannot eliminate these problems within the framework of the present political and monetary establishment. It would take too many years to accomplish any significant change. Most likely they would be watered down and thinned out to such an extent that the changes would be indistinguishable.

The Venus Project advocates an alternative vision for a sustainable new world civilization unlike any social system that has gone before. Although this description is highly condensed, it is based upon years of study and experimental research by many, many people from many scientific disciplines.

The Venus Project proposes a fresh approach--one that is dedicated to human and environmental concerns. It is an attainable vision of a bright and better future, one that is appropriate to the times in which we live, and both practical and feasible for a positive future for all the world's people.

The Venus Project calls for a straightforward approach to the redesign of a culture, in which the age-old inadequacies of war, poverty, hunger, debt, environmental degradation and unnecessary human suffering are viewed not only as avoidable, but totally unacceptable.

One of the basic premises of The Venus Project is that we work towards having all of the Earth's resources as the common heritage of all the world's people. Anything less will simply result in a continuation of the same catalog of problems inherent in the present system.

Throughout history, change has been slow. Successive groups of incompetent leaders have replaced those that preceded them, but the underlying social and economic problems remain because the basic value systems have gone unaltered. The problems we are faced with today cannot be solved politically or financially because they are highly technical in nature. There may not even be enough money available to pay for the required changes, but there are more than enough resources. This is why The Venus Project advocates the transition from a monetary-based society to the eventual realization of a resource-based global economy.

We realize to make the transition from our present culture, which is politically incompetent, scarcity-oriented and obsolete, to this new, more humane society will require a quantum leap in both thought and action.

http://www.thevenusproject.com...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2011 10:00:22 PM
I've heard about it. A lofty goal, but I commend the aspiration.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 8:23:18 AM
I posted this before. Great idea. However the human race is much to flawed. It would never work
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 9:21:24 AM
At 7/14/2011 8:23:18 AM, MarquisX wrote:
I posted this before. Great idea. However the human race is much to flawed. It would never work

I was thinking the same thing. It would seem that society is a result of humanity, not the other way around.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 9:28:02 AM
@ Tiel

Is there incentives to do good, other than "for the good of humanity"? I respect the idea, but the incentive of "I help people then get moniez" can do a lot of good.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 10:54:56 PM
At 7/14/2011 9:28:02 AM, seraine wrote:
@ Tiel

Is there incentives to do good, other than "for the good of humanity"? I respect the idea, but the incentive of "I help people then get moniez" can do a lot of good.

Reply: Yes, there are incentives, but it's not about "doing good". It's about having all the free time you could ever want to put your time towards the things you are interested in. It's about having enough resources for everyone to where you don't have to worry about it. It's about having a far superior standard of living than anything we have now. It has nothing to do with "doing good". Did you even read about the project? It's about changing society and using technology to do all the work that humans do now.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 11:06:23 PM
At 7/14/2011 10:54:56 PM, Tiel wrote:

Great, how? You just gave a bunch of lofty sounding compliments toward its scheme, you didn't tell us what the scheme is. "Direct our technology toward the positive--" Who doesn't claim to direct technology toward positive ends, except Luddites? (There is no such thing as "Our technology." I have this computer, you have that computer, and never shall you and I fuse into one, nor the computers). The meat of the issue is what you regard as the positive, what actions you want to take, how they direct it there. Long on words, short on substance.

There may not even be enough money available to pay for the required changes, but there are more than enough resources. This is why The Venus Project advocates the transition from a monetary-based society to the eventual realization of a resource-based global economy.
Until you've defined "Money," "Resource," "Resource-based economy," "Money-based economy," this doesn't even mean anything.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2011 11:17:11 PM
Reply: Yes, there are incentives, but it's not about "doing good". It's about having all the free time you could ever want to put your time towards the things you are interested in. It's about having enough resources for everyone to where you don't have to worry about it. It's about having a far superior standard of living than anything we have now. It has nothing to do with "doing good". Did you even read about the project? It's about changing society and using technology to do all the work that humans do now.:

Don't you think it sounds an awful lot like somebody trying to sell you the horizon by offering yet another utopia that's anything but?

If it's as feasible as it's portrayed then surely it would have been accomplished by now. It would take an enormous amount of capital to even begin to construct such an elaborate place. And who's going to fund something that has diminishing returns?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:03:15 AM
It's a great idea, but people are lazy a$$holes. Nobody is going to support a good idead like this because most people have their head stuck way up their a$$ and don't know how the world works. Yeah, it would cost a hell of a lot of money and that's the problem, MONEY. Our world's paper money and credit system is so jacked up and people just go along with it. "Give me a credit card...let me work 1/3 of my life so you can throw peanuts at my feet...I don't care... Oh you are gonna give me two weeks out of my life (a vacation) to actually live!? Great! I'll do it without question!"

Morons.

Most people are completely lame and lack any sort of vision or motivation to change the world. that's why this project won't happen. Maybe one day in the far future, but not any time soon. People love their lame form of society and economy.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:18:47 AM
How do you redesign human nature?

Eugenics?
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations.
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection,
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:29:49 AM
At 7/15/2011 2:03:15 AM, Lionheart wrote:
It's a great idea, but people are lazy a$$holes.

Resources are scarce, I wouldn't spend money on this. My money is my property.

Nobody is going to support a good idead like this

No evidence that it is a good idea

because most people have their head stuck way up their a$$ and don't know how the world works.

Starting on a roll there buddy. Now, let me guess: YOU do? Understanding "how the world works" is a vague enough statement as it is. Millions of people have dispersed knowledge, and not one person has access to even 1% of human knowledge.

Yeah, it would cost a hell of a lot of money and that's the problem, MONEY.

Money represents the medium of exchange.

Our world's paper money and credit system is so jacked up and people just go along with it.

I agree that our monetary system of debt-based money is bad.

"Give me a credit card...let me work 1/3 of my life so you can throw peanuts at my feet...I don't care...

People work to achieve to means of acquiring wealth. Nobody forces work on anybody. Work is necessary in order to maintain one's survival.

Oh you are gonna give me two weeks out of my life (a vacation) to actually live!? Great! I'll do it without question!"

Quitting or self-employment is also an option,

Morons.

Ad hominem attack.

Most people are completely lame and lack any sort of vision or motivation to change the world.

Change is not always good. If Obama started a mass genocide this would not be good 'change'.

that's why this project won't happen.

Or people don't believe it is a good idea. You have yet to provide one shred of evidence why it is desirable for most individuals to finance this project. All you have done was ad hominem attacks, and red herring. It's intellectual laziness to conclude that those who disagree with your viewpoints are just plain stupid, i you don't provide a coherent defense for your statement.

Maybe one day in the far future, but not any time soon. People love their lame form of society and economy.

Unsubstantial. Most people prefer a different society, but do not have the means to obtain a new society, the opportunity costs to try to create a new society is to high, the change is impossible under modern preferences and political incentives. Certainly though, this is not the society that is best desired by most others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:37:05 AM
You know, Lionheart. It's the posts like those above that really bring down the community. I'm sure all members are guilty of Ad hominem attacks and unwillingness to listen to other perspectives, but yours really just takes the cake. Calling people @ssholes and morons, and jumping to conclusions without any logical flow is just rude and then critizing (badly) others that don't agree with your perspectives really isn't what DDO is about.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 2:58:31 AM
At 7/15/2011 2:37:05 AM, darkkermit wrote:
You know, Lionheart. It's the posts like those above that really bring down the community. I'm sure all members are guilty of Ad hominem attacks and unwillingness to listen to other perspectives, but yours really just takes the cake. Calling people @ssholes and morons, and jumping to conclusions without any logical flow is just rude and then critizing (badly) others that don't agree with your perspectives really isn't what DDO is about.

Comment: I agree with you darkkermit. There may be some shreds of truth to the word, but their is no need to attack people in such a way. It definitely is not the way to get people motivated with positive energy.

Side note: I was excited to see that Lionheart posted the seven principles of truth in a Philosophy forum, but then he had to go and post something very offensive like this. I guess he isn't a student of the ancient teachings. I was hopeful for a second though, not many people study those teachings.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:15:15 AM
I guess he isn't a student of the ancient teachings.
Lol, bragging about how progressive you are and then this?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:46:47 AM
Side note: I was excited to see that Lionheart posted the seven principles of truth in a Philosophy forum, but then he had to go and post something very offensive like this.:

How was it "offensive?" If you think that's offensive, you're in for a long, hard road at DDO.

I guess he isn't a student of the ancient teachings. I was hopeful for a second though, not many people study those teachings.:

Ancient teachings? Enlighten those who have not obtained your esoteric status.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:45:12 PM
At 7/15/2011 7:46:47 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Side note: I was excited to see that Lionheart posted the seven principles of truth in a Philosophy forum, but then he had to go and post something very offensive like this.:

How was it "offensive?" If you think that's offensive, you're in for a long, hard road at DDO.

I guess he isn't a student of the ancient teachings. I was hopeful for a second though, not many people study those teachings.:

Ancient teachings? Enlighten those who have not obtained your esoteric status.

Reply: "The ancient teachings" is terminology used to describe certain teachings from ages past. If you do not study them or have a desire to learn the knowledge, then they will have little meaning. I would only try to help people that truly want to learn the teachings. The teachings are not to boast arrogance and ego. The knowledge is for self enlightenment.

Request: I do not mock your spiritual education or beliefs, please do not mock mine.

To help you understand: My comment was the equivalent of a Christian being on a website with no Christians, and then seeing someone post the ten commandments. That's how I felt when I saw Lionheart post the seven principles of truth in the philosophy forum. I felt excitement. Excitement that dwindled once he showed such offensive behavior.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:46:49 PM
At 7/15/2011 3:15:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Reply: 1.) I was never bragging about any such thing. 2.) My comment does not show any opposition to progressive beliefs.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 4:02:44 PM
At 7/15/2011 3:46:49 PM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: 1.) I was never bragging about any such thing. 2.) My comment does not show any opposition to progressive beliefs.

Right, dogmatic adherence to "ancient teachings" is soooo progressive.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:43:20 PM
At 7/15/2011 4:02:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/15/2011 3:46:49 PM, Tiel wrote:

Right, dogmatic adherence to "ancient teachings" is soooo progressive.

Reply: It is not dogmatic adherence in any way. The texts are teachings which are classified as ancient due to their age. None of what I said opposes progressive thought.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:52:01 PM
So to you being progressive ain't about progress?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 6:58:49 PM
At 7/15/2011 5:52:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
So to you being progressive ain't about progress?

Reply: I never said any such thing. Of course progressive thought is about progress. It has nothing to do with me studying texts that have been around since ancient times. True knowledge is reality. Reality is timeless. To me progressive thought is the thought process of moving closer towards true knowledge and letting this knowledge shape reality.

I hope that this clears up your concerns.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:01:13 PM
If the ancient thoughts have true knowledge then where the **** is there to progress toward truer knowledge?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:34:11 PM
At 7/15/2011 7:01:13 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
If the ancient thoughts have true knowledge then where the **** is there to progress toward truer knowledge?

Reply: True knowledge is eternal. The human texts are what is ancient. Whatever stage you are in as an individual determines your measurement of progression towards true knowledge. This is normally called the "path to enlightenment" by many human groups.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:38:51 PM
Ah, so you're talking about enlightenment, not real world knowledge. :P.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:59:40 PM
At 7/15/2011 7:38:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Ah, so you're talking about enlightenment, not real world knowledge. :P.

Reply: Funny. We can take this up in the philosophy section if you want.

Question: Do you have anything to say about the Venus Project? How about the resource based economy and updated social structure that it advocates?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:12:55 PM
You still haven't defined the resource based economy or the "updated social structure."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 9:14:03 PM
At 7/15/2011 8:12:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
You still haven't defined the resource based economy or the "updated social structure."

Reply: Follow this link - http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com... and then click on number 4.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 9:20:54 PM
(1) No money or market system.
How is economic calculation or incentivization (remember, you have to incentivize INDIVIDUALS with marginal gains for their actions) supposed to take place?

(2) Automation to replace labor in every occupation possible.
Every one possible as opposed to every one efficient? We'd have to spend labor on nothing else but doing that and surviving. Sounds like a sucky life. (A market will make it happen everywhere it's efficient just fine).

(3) Technological Unification of the planet in a "systems" approach.
Wat is this I don't even.

(4) No property - Universal Access.
No incentivization- no reality. Scarcity is an incontravenable law. It is impossible for us to both use this computer at the same time, or eat that food at the same time.

(5) Self-contained/Sustainable/Streamlined City Systems.
No mention of means to this fascism.

(6) Science as the methodology for all social decisions,
There's no science behind this framework on this page.