Jump to topic:

Free State Initiative

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 12:11:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just wanted to ask you all what you think about this project to create an completely free state founded on Right Libertarian principles. http://freestateinitiative.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 12:40:46 AM
Doomed. The basic notion, I fully support. But they state, "the goal of creating a Free State in a sparsely populated and unproductive region of the world."

They should be trying to obtain the most productive land they can get.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:03:25 PM
At 7/15/2011 12:40:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Doomed. The basic notion, I fully support. But they state, "the goal of creating a Free State in a sparsely populated and unproductive region of the world."

That's what I was saying but then I realized, no government would ever give up their most productive lands to an bunch of an-caps. They would have better luck purchasing some old oil rigs and then buy tons of cement and sand to construct and artificial island.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:30:33 PM
It says it has commenced negotiations with an African country, which country information it only reveals to "subscribers." (Security with a money paywall is no security at all for such a purpose)

It's run by an unknown blogger.

The third phase cost estimates strike me as far too low.

This strikes me as a scam or a pipe dream.

Something like this is a project for a billionaire or two, some agriculture experts with a lot of laborers behind them, and a decent contingent of well-led mercenaries, not a blogger and a bunch of anonymous donors. Even if they buy some land it'll just be renationalized after a few improvements.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:36:24 PM
At 7/15/2011 12:40:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

If the site can invest enough capital and productive labor, then it doesn't matter If the land has little natural resources or farming capacity.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:36:45 PM
The agriculture experts could be replaced with something else if they had a different main industry in mind but they give the impression of wanting to green the desert.

(course either way they need to find a way to get a buttload of water there cheaply).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:40:49 PM
Eventually of course the market will probably make those initial industries obsolete-- but when building a settlement in hell, they pretty much acknowledge that whoever wants to do it has more work to do than a normal minarchist government. ^_^.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 3:43:27 PM
At 7/15/2011 3:36:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The agriculture experts could be replaced with something else if they had a different main industry in mind but they give the impression of wanting to green the desert.

(course either way they need to find a way to get a buttload of water there cheaply).

I just thought that the green pictures were used to make the website more interesting. Seems quite expensive to green the desert.

Yea, I suppose that water would be the primary concern there.

I also wouldn't be surprised If the Free State Initiative got bombed in the future.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 4:05:03 PM
bombed? Nonsense, that would be unnecessary against such minimal defenses and leave less to loot.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 5:59:48 PM
Opinion: It's very interesting. I think they would have a better chance of starting small. Maybe try to get a following and move everyone to an unpopulated island that nobody cares too much about.

Also, if a number of differing corporations joined forces, they could provide everything needed to start such a state.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:39:48 PM
At 7/15/2011 5:59:48 PM, Tiel wrote:
Opinion: It's very interesting. I think they would have a better chance of starting small. Maybe try to get a following and move everyone to an unpopulated island that nobody cares too much about.

Also, if a number of differing corporations joined forces, they could provide everything needed to start such a state.

Corporations would not likely do that, not without some kind of big favors for them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 7:56:44 PM
At 7/15/2011 7:39:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/15/2011 5:59:48 PM, Tiel wrote:

Corporations would not likely do that, not without some kind of big favors for them.

Reply: Exactly, that;s the problem with our world. Greed and ego.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:48:46 AM
At 7/15/2011 3:30:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It says it has commenced negotiations with an African country, which country information it only reveals to "subscribers." (Security with a money paywall is no security at all for such a purpose)

Something like this is a project for a billionaire or two, some agriculture experts with a lot of laborers behind them, and a decent contingent of well-led mercenaries, not a blogger and a bunch of anonymous donors. Even if they buy some land it'll just be renationalized after a few improvements.

you just want to rule the world...
DATCMOTO's moustache makes him look like an eejit...

edit: nah, i'm jealous... God's an eejit definitely though!
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:59:02 AM
not that i don't also ;) ..it's more obvious with you though :)

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 4:01:45 AM
dunno where the also came from.. it still kinda seems right while looking wrong though..

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 4:02:40 AM
At 7/17/2011 3:48:46 AM, el-badgero wrote:

I don't see the relevance.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 4:28:25 AM
At 7/17/2011 4:02:40 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

you'd be one of the billionaires?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 4:34:53 AM
At 7/17/2011 4:28:25 AM, el-badgero wrote:

Unlikely. Considering my present career plans, I'm far more likely to handle the military angle than the funding angle. Either one is a long shot but someone-- hell, some several-- have to try or there ain't nothing happening.

Frankly I don't care who is in charge of eventual libertarian-land, and I wish this Free State Initiative the best. World domination is entirely optional. I just don't think this particular one will work out well.
el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 4:43:55 AM
At 7/17/2011 4:34:53 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/17/2011 4:28:25 AM, el-badgero wrote:

Unlikely. Considering my present career plans, I'm far more likely to handle the military angle than the funding angle. Either one is a long shot but someone-- hell, some several-- have to try or there ain't nothing happening.

oh so you'd just be wealthy with not total power but a fair bit of power then...

Frankly I don't care who is in charge of eventual libertarian-land, and I wish this Free State Initiative the best. World domination is entirely optional. I just don't think this particular one will work out well.

libertarian-land where the strong are free to oppress the weak?

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 5:09:16 AM
and the capitalistically strong, which one could become through destructive means.

el-badgero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 5:12:18 AM
as opposed to say the humanitarily strong.