Jump to topic:

Modern Society and mental "Disorders"

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:52:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In American society, we have a pill for everything. "ADD" Is a very common disorder among youth and is usually treated with medication. Our society has a classification for all types of abnormal brain functions (or disorders). What defines normal? Is there a template human to compare those "retards" to? No. If society wants to categorize people with abnormal brain function as "mentally disabled", then I can categorize anybody with a disorder. I have Rockylightning disorder, SRW has SRW disorder, Darkkermit has darkkermit disorder etc.

My point is, calling some people "retarded" is stupid, because we are all different. I don't even consider most mental "disorders" hinderences, people diagnosed with Autism usually are more inclined to be intellectually brilliant.

ADD and ADHD are other Doctor prescribed disorders. So what if the kid can't pay attention? Its a fvcking kid! What do you expect. Now ADD Is the most common mental disability on the planet. We are diagnosing being human.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:47:08 PM
Symptoms of SRW disorder includes the following:
Trolling, Spamming, Derailing threads, Winning only 2 out of every 15 debates, Wanting to make sushi but never having the ingredients, Making an claim/statement but never explaining it, Putting 3 periods at the end of every sentence, . . .

But in all seriousness I do agree with your premise to an certain degree but I do not feel like explaining it beacuse I have an certain disorder . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 11:44:41 PM
At 7/19/2011 10:47:08 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Trolling, Spamming, Derailing threads, Winning only 2 out of every 15 debates, Wanting to make sushi but never having the ingredients, Making an claim/statement but never explaining it, Putting 3 periods at the end of every sentence, . . .

But in all seriousness I do agree with your premise to an certain degree but I do not feel like explaining it beacuse I have an certain disorder . . .

I was setting you up for that one.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 11:51:08 PM
At 7/19/2011 9:52:17 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
In American society, we have a pill for everything. "ADD" Is a very common disorder among youth and is usually treated with medication. Our society has a classification for all types of abnormal brain functions (or disorders). What defines normal? Is there a template human to compare those "retards" to? No. If society wants to categorize people with abnormal brain function as "mentally disabled", then I can categorize anybody with a disorder. I have Rockylightning disorder, SRW has SRW disorder, Darkkermit has darkkermit disorder etc.

My point is, calling some people "retarded" is stupid, because we are all different. I don't even consider most mental "disorders" hinderences, people diagnosed with Autism usually are more inclined to be intellectually brilliant.

ADD and ADHD are other Doctor prescribed disorders. So what if the kid can't pay attention? Its a fvcking kid! What do you expect. Now ADD Is the most common mental disability on the planet. We are diagnosing being human.

It's great being brilliant. It's hard when you aren't born with empathic abilities.

"Disorder" usually refers to a problem, something that effects life negatively. For instance, hearing voices and attributing them to external sources is part of a disorder.

ADD is over-diagnosed, sure. But it is meant to treat an actual disorder that does make life harder for a lot of people.

You can be hyperactive 100% of the time and not have ADD or ADHD.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 11:59:12 PM
At 7/19/2011 11:51:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
In American society, we have a pill for everything. "ADD" Is a very common disorder among youth and is usually treated with medication. Our society has a classification for all types of abnormal brain functions (or disorders). What defines normal? Is there a template human to compare those "retards" to? No. If society wants to categorize people with abnormal brain function as "mentally disabled", then I can categorize anybody with a disorder. I have Rockylightning disorder, SRW has SRW disorder, Darkkermit has darkkermit disorder etc. Ĥ

It's great being brilliant. It's hard when you aren't born with empathic abilities.

"Disorder" usually refers to a problem, something that effects life negatively. For instance, hearing voices and attributing them to external sources is part of a disorder.

ADD is over-diagnosed, sure. But it is meant to treat an actual disorder that does make life harder for a lot of people.

You're missing the point, my point is diagnosing different combinations of electricity and hormones as a "disorder". What if the disabled are the "template"?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:03:01 AM
When it comes to mental disorders, the psychiatric field is woefully incompetent.

But you know, it isn't really too much their fault. Only the person suffering from a mental illness can cure it.

ADD, OCD, Bi-Polar, Depression, etc. These are all disorders that can be cured with self awareness and an honest desire to improve oneself.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:11:22 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:03:01 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
When it comes to mental disorders, the psychiatric field is woefully incompetent.

But you know, it isn't really too much their fault. Only the person suffering from a mental illness can cure it.

ADD, OCD, Bi-Polar, Depression, etc. These are all disorders that can be cured with self awareness and an honest desire to improve oneself.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (basically, self-awareness) can be extremely helpful in those disorders, but medication offers effects CBT alone cannot accomplish.

What about, say, schizophrenia?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:18:03 AM
At 7/19/2011 11:59:12 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/19/2011 11:51:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
In American society, we have a pill for everything. "ADD" Is a very common disorder among youth and is usually treated with medication. Our society has a classification for all types of abnormal brain functions (or disorders). What defines normal? Is there a template human to compare those "retards" to? No. If society wants to categorize people with abnormal brain function as "mentally disabled", then I can categorize anybody with a disorder. I have Rockylightning disorder, SRW has SRW disorder, Darkkermit has darkkermit disorder etc. Ĥ

You're missing the point, my point is diagnosing different combinations of electricity and hormones as a "disorder". What if the disabled are the "template"?

It's the same as saying you could recognize physical disorders as different combinations of electricity and chemicals by making people with multiple sclerosis the "template."

Shifting the baseline doesn't mean disorders disappear.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:22:16 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:11:22 AM, Wnope wrote:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (basically, self-awareness) can be extremely helpful in those disorders, but medication offers effects CBT alone cannot accomplish.

Medication does little more than to retard the ability of someone to actually fix their mental problem.

When it comes to psychiatric medication for these very curable mental disorders, they should be used to stabilize. They are not meant to cure anything. The only way to cure these mood disorders is self analysis, and an honest effort to cure yourself. When your head is more aligned with the way things are, you'd be surprised at how many mental disorders that alone can fix. It requires an honesty that most people are not capable of.

Schizophrenia is a bit more complicated. I've known a lot of schizophrenics in my life, and at best, I think they are able to be very skeptical about how they perceive reality. I don't think that they'd be able to fully escape their hallucinations.

I do know a guy who is schizophrenic, and you would never even know unless he told you. At the same time, I've met some that are so far gone that it's almost impossible to have a conversation with them.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:28:45 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:22:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Medication does little more than to retard the ability of someone to actually fix their mental problem.

Self-awareness does not make your serotonin receptors more sensitive. Self-awareness allows you to deal with the results from imbalances.

When it comes to psychiatric medication for these very curable mental disorders, they should be used to stabilize. They are not meant to cure anything. The only way to cure these mood disorders is self analysis, and an honest effort to cure yourself. When your head is more aligned with the way things are, you'd be surprised at how many mental disorders that alone can fix. It requires an honesty that most people are not capable of.

Again, CBT does do wonders. But it doesn't do everything.

Schizophrenia is a bit more complicated. I've known a lot of schizophrenics in my life, and at best, I think they are able to be very skeptical about how they perceive reality. I don't think that they'd be able to fully escape their hallucinations.

I do know a guy who is schizophrenic, and you would never even know unless he told you. At the same time, I've met some that are so far gone that it's almost impossible to have a conversation with them.

There is a wide spectrum for schizophrenia, but it is hard to say with a straight face that medication has no place in long-term therapy for such disorders.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:55:11 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:28:45 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/20/2011 12:22:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Self-awareness does not make your serotonin receptors more sensitive. Self-awareness allows you to deal with the results from imbalances.

You'd be surprised at how much the cognitive process effects the chemistry in your brain.

Again, CBT does do wonders. But it doesn't do everything.

It does more than people think it does.

There is a wide spectrum for schizophrenia, but it is hard to say with a straight face that medication has no place in long-term therapy for such disorders.

I'm obviously not talking about Schizophrenia.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:00:04 AM

I mostly agree with this OP and this post in particular. Every addict and alcoholic that i have worked with (sideline of my life) that has gone into treatment was diagnosed as bipolar, but the funny thing is, when they've been clean and sober for a while that bi-polar thing just sort of clears up.

There is legit bi-polar and then all the fake bi-polars, and i have a brother-in-law who is legit, and takes lithium, which is really nasty stuff, and you wouldn't take it unless there were some serious chemical issues with your brain, and when he doesn't take it, it's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. So he does have a legit problem, but could he counter those symptoms with just self awareness and an honest desire to not behave as a result of these conditions that exist in his brain? I really doubt it.

Hats off to you Cosmic, especially on the line: "an honest desire to improve oneself". That is the biggest impediment to all people who "suffer" and complain. Of course there are some implications within this observation regarding the cause.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:36:18 AM
In American society, we have a pill for everything. "ADD" Is a very common disorder among youth and is usually treated with medication. Our society has a classification for all types of abnormal brain functions (or disorders). What defines normal?

Although abnormal psychology is the field of relevant study, it is only so named due to the statistics of prevalence. Abnormality is not the defining characteristic of a disorder, nor the basis of any diagnosis; harm to everyday functioning is.

Is there a template human to compare those "retards" to? No. If society wants to categorize people with abnormal brain function as "mentally disabled", then I can categorize anybody with a disorder.

Most naturally occurring statistical measures of human attributes follow a bell curve. Again, a disorder is not characterised by the lack of commonality is shares with the general populace.

My point is, calling some people "retarded" is stupid, because we are all different.

Vacuously so maybe. You fit along the bell curve with everyone else. :) Anyway, "retard" is a old term designated for certain intelligence test results that are no longer used.

I don't even consider most mental "disorders" hinderences, people diagnosed with Autism usually are more inclined to be intellectually brilliant.

Socially however, largely inept, there's learning issues as well in most cases. Which is all that's necessary to qualify.

ADD and ADHD are other Doctor prescribed disorders. So what if the kid can't pay attention? Its a fvcking kid!

ADD & ADHD when diagnosed correctly fall into the range of severe disruption. There's plenty of literature about the ease of misdiagnoses, but in properly diagnosed cases it is extremely disruptive and most certainly not 'kids being kids'.

What do you expect. Now ADD Is the most common mental disability on the planet. We are diagnosing being human.

Disorders are by definition aspects of natural behaviour already. The issue is the disruptive nature of them, not their prevalence.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 10:42:04 AM
At 7/19/2011 11:44:41 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/19/2011 10:47:08 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I was setting you up for that one.

I couldn't resist taking the bait [which is another symptom of SRW Disorder].
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 10:53:49 AM
ADD and ADHD are other Doctor prescribed disorders. So what if the kid can't pay attention? Its a fvcking kid! What do you expect. Now ADD Is the most common mental disability on the planet. We are diagnosing being human.:

Come to my home where one child has ADHD and the other does not. The difference is remarkable.

That said, you are right that we have entered a cultural climate that attempts to diagnose every peculiarity because it doesn't neatly fit a preconceived notion.

That said, it's not entirely unfounded.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:13:51 AM

Excatly! I've always said that!

My younger cousins that live in America are all on drugs because they have been diagnosed with ADHD - I don't pretend don't know better than their highly paid private doctor or the multi-national drug company that produces their medication, but all I see is a bunch of very naughty, ill-disciplined boys and girls.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:24:00 AM
At 7/20/2011 11:13:51 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

My younger cousins that live in America are all on drugs because they have been diagnosed with ADHD - I don't pretend don't know better than their highly paid private doctor or the multi-national drug company that produces their medication, but all I see is a bunch of very naughty, ill-disciplined boys and girls.

I believe it is often used as an excuse to escape from disciplining their children or actually trying to understand their children and I believe this episode of South Park explains it well: http://www.southparkstudios.com...
Minister Of Trolling
:
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:41:57 AM
At 7/20/2011 11:24:00 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 7/20/2011 11:13:51 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I believe it is often used as an excuse to escape from disciplining their children or actually trying to understand their children and I believe this episode of South Park explains it well: http://www.southparkstudios.com...

No-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"Sorry UK and Ireland, due to copyright and other legal restrictions, yada yada yada...."
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:54:33 AM
At 7/20/2011 10:53:49 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
ADD and ADHD are other Doctor prescribed disorders. So what if the kid can't pay attention? Its a fvcking kid! What do you expect. Now ADD Is the most common mental disability on the planet. We are diagnosing being human.:

Come to my home where one child has ADHD and the other does not. The difference is remarkable.

That said, you are right that we have entered a cultural climate that attempts to diagnose every peculiarity because it doesn't neatly fit a preconceived notion.

That said, it's not entirely unfounded.

I don't think that it's entirely unfounded, but there seems to be a desperate need to chemically normalize behavior, or at least attempt to.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 11:57:24 AM
Yes, many autistic people are actually smarter than the average population but since they don't conform to the learning style that they want everyone to have they are seen as being disabled. They do have problems connecting emotionally but then on the other end why isn't being overly emotional considered a disorder?
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:17:07 PM
At 7/20/2011 11:57:24 AM, BennyW wrote:
Yes, many autistic people are actually smarter than the average population but since they don't conform to the learning style that they want everyone to have they are seen as being disabled. They do have problems connecting emotionally but then on the other end why isn't being overly emotional considered a disorder?

People have their own idiosyncrasies, why are people with slightly larger ones considered abnormal?
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:35:07 PM
You are correct. Everybody has ADD. If everybody in the world were given the same ADD test, people would have to reconsider their conception of ADD because too many people would show up positive to label it a disorder instead of just being human.

I also think such "diseases" are used as excuses for the people who have them, often unnecessarily so and that's a really bad habit to get into. One thing I abhor for example is "extra time" for SAT takers. It's absolutely ridiculous and unfair to others, but what's more, extra time on tests gets students into a mindset that they don't have to do anything on time because they have a disability and deserve more time than others.

Of course, none of this applies to people who really have an issue. These "diseases" exist in some form or another and there are legitimate cases (where it is always quite apparent) but most people you know who claim to have them don't really have anything that would seriously impede their normal activities.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:50:17 PM
At 7/20/2011 12:17:07 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 7/20/2011 11:57:24 AM, BennyW wrote:

People have their own idiosyncrasies, why are people with slightly larger ones considered abnormal?

There are many different forms of autism; the spectrum is very broad. The people that Benny refers to are rightfully considered abnormal because a) fact - they are, most people are just not so focused/obsessed with certain things that they can't pay attention to anything else b) their various obsessions often render them incapable of functioning in society, not being able to conduct a normal conversation and engage in other basic social skills that the majority of society has deemed commonplace.

Your statement may apply to people like Thomas Jefferson or Mark Zuckerberg who were/are probably autistic. Aspergers. But even people with aspergers, the most "normal" of people on the autism spectrum, are often so obsessed with certain things that they either can't or don't want to engage in basic social activities with others. Also, they often have trouble understanding the train of thought of normal people. I know a kid with aspergers (probably - I "diagnosed" him myself) who thinks entirely in "black and white" where things are either good or bad and there is nothing else. Even if 99% of kids in the class are ditching and nobody is going to get penalized for it, he has to go to the class, even if it means screwing over everybody else, because he's told me that it is morally wrong for him not to.

Long story short, people can have their idiosyncrasies and still be considered normal unless they prevent them from conducting any normal social contact with other people.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 9:02:18 AM

Just because medication may be overly prescribed, doesn't discount the validity of a disorder. It just calls into question the diagnosis.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 11:25:11 AM
I'd like to add my two cents in here, and my two cents is almost always to give perspective. In this case, I'd like to address the term "modern" in the OP, and introduce some words from Plato which are 2,500 years old. My point will be that, while we consider this a problem of modern science (we now have the ability to dissect ourselves so keenly that we over-diagnose), this is actually a problem that is quite timeless. The entire text can be found here: http://classics.mit.edu...

Well, I said, and to require the help of medicine, not when a wound has to be cured, or on occasion of an epidemic, but just because, by indolence and a habit of life such as we have been describing, men fill themselves with waters and winds, as if their bodies were a marsh, compelling the ingenious sons of Asclepius to find more names for diseases, such as flatulence and catarrh; is not this, too, a disgrace?

Yes, he said, they do certainly give very strange and newfangled names to diseases.

Yes, I said, and I do not believe that there were any such diseases in the days of Asclepius...

...the guild of Asclepius did not practise our present system of medicine, which may be said to educate diseases. But Herodicus, being a trainer, and himself of a sickly constitution, by a combination of training and doctoring found out a way of torturing first and chiefly himself, and secondly the rest of the world.

How was that? he said.
By the invention of lingering death; for he had a mortal disease which he perpetually tended, and as recovery was out of the question, he passed his entire life as a valetudinarian; he could do nothing but attend upon himself, and he was in constant torment whenever he departed in anything from his usual regimen, and so dying hard, by the help of science he struggled on to old age...

...in all well-ordered states every individual has an occupation to which he must attend, and has therefore no leisure to spend in continually being ill...

...When a carpenter is ill he asks the physician for a rough and ready cure; an emetic or a purge or a cautery or the knife, --these are his remedies. And if some one prescribes for him a course of dietetics, and tells him that he must swathe and swaddle his head, and all that sort of thing, he replies at once that he has no time to be ill, and that he sees no good in a life which is spent in nursing his disease to the neglect of his customary employment; and therefore bidding good-bye to this sort of physician, he resumes his ordinary habits, and either gets well and lives and does his business, or, if his constitution falls, he dies and has no more trouble.

Yes, he said, and a man in his condition of life ought to use the art of medicine thus far only.

Has he not, I said, an occupation; and what profit would there be in his life if he were deprived of his occupation?

Quite true, he said...

...such excessive care of the body, when carried beyond the rules of gymnastic, is most inimical to the practice of virtue.

Yes, indeed, I replied, and equally incompatible with the management of a house, an army, or an office of state; and, what is most important of all, irreconcilable with any kind of study or thought or self-reflection --there is a constant suspicion that headache and giddiness are to be ascribed to philosophy, and hence all practising or making trial of virtue in the higher sense is absolutely stopped; for a man is always fancying that he is being made ill, and is in constant anxiety about the state of his body.

Yes, likely enough.
And therefore our politic Asclepius may be supposed to have exhibited the power of his art only to persons who, being generally of healthy constitution and habits of life, had a definite ailment; such as these he cured by purges and operations, and bade them live as usual, herein consulting the interests of the State; but bodies which disease had penetrated through and through he would not have attempted to cure by gradual processes of evacuation and infusion: he did not want to lengthen out good-for-nothing lives, or to have weak fathers begetting weaker sons; --if a man was not able to live in the ordinary way he had no business to cure him; for such a cure would have been of no use either to himself, or to the State.
Rob
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:09:50 PM
At 7/23/2011 12:53:05 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 7/20/2011 2:35:07 PM, jat93 wrote:
You are correct. Everybody has ADD.

lol No.

lol Yeah. These days ADD is so loosely defined that it could seriously apply to anybody with a working brain. The definition is often so vague and amorphous that there is no thinking human being who could be exempt from it. I'm not saying it's not legitimate in its more serious forms, but judging from the way most people are who are diagnosed with it, it's overall a BS disease with a definition that's so loose that anyone could use it for an excuse toward anything, extra time on tests, etc. I contend that if everybody pretended to have ADD and got a diagnosis (or even if they didn't pretend) so many people would show up positive that they'd have to rethink everything about the disease.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:16:59 PM
At 7/23/2011 4:09:50 PM, jat93 wrote:

lol No.

lol Yeah. These days ADD is so loosely defined that it could seriously apply to anybody with a working brain. The definition is often so vague and amorphous that there is no thinking human being who could be exempt from it. I'm not saying it's not legitimate in its more serious forms, but judging from the way most people are who are diagnosed with it, it's overall a BS disease with a definition that's so loose that anyone could use it for an excuse toward anything, extra time on tests, etc. I contend that if everybody pretended to have ADD and got a diagnosis (or even if they didn't pretend) so many people would show up positive that they'd have to rethink everything about the disease.

Have you ever met someone who keeps failing tests at school because whenever they look at a page, they can't concentrate for more than a few minutes no matter how hard they try?

Not that they're lazy or that they don't care. The ones I know want to ace their exams. Their minds are not acting the way they preferably would. One described to me how his mind kept racing so fast he could hardly keep up.

That's attention deficit DISORDER. Pills don't make them super-concentrate, it brings them to a normal level of functioning.

That's very different from apathy towards work or even short attention spans.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2011 4:52:34 PM
At 7/23/2011 4:16:59 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/23/2011 4:09:50 PM, jat93 wrote:

lol No.

Have you ever met someone who keeps failing tests at school because whenever they look at a page, they can't concentrate for more than a few minutes no matter how hard they try?

Not that they're lazy or that they don't care. The ones I know want to ace their exams. Their minds are not acting the way they preferably would. One described to me how his mind kept racing so fast he could hardly keep up.

That's attention deficit DISORDER. Pills don't make them super-concentrate, it brings them to a normal level of functioning.

That's very different from apathy towards work or even short attention spans.

Yes, that is completely in line with what I said, because I said that ADD obviously had its severe cases. Unfortunately its vague and unclear definition leads to manipulation of the system and subsequent diagnosesis people that don't really have a concrete problem and are either lazy, just don't know how to sit down and study, etc. In those cases it is an excuse for something(s) that could be remedied with a little. Most people I know with extra time on standardized tests are kids who simply want to work longer on tests and "can't finish in time" (which really means that they write more than the average kid and are perfectionists) so they go and get some silly doctor approved test that anyone could show up positive for - trust me, I'd know because I've received such tests - and scam the system in order to get extra time.

I'll give you one example. I was told I have ADHD, largely because I find it exceptionally easy to focus on things I like for hours and hours at a time but I find it very hard to focus on things I hate, such as mathematics. So while I can read philosophy and psychology books for hours at a time, I find it almost impossible to do the same for math/physics textbooks. I contend that it is human nature to want to focus on things you enjoy, while eschewing those you don't enjoy. They turned it into a proof of my ADHD and to prescribe me medication. I happen to be passionate about things which leads to passionate interests and passionate disinterests. Most people find it easier to listen to the status quo and just do their homework because that's what they have to do; I can't stop thinking of all the awesome things I could be and should be learning and the limited time in this world I have to learn them, when I'm supposed to be doing my math homework which is all too often pointless, dry, and boring.

That, my friend, is a classic example of a doctor stretching an otherwise normal human condition (we like doing things we like and hate doing things we hate - gasp!) and turning it into a full fledged mental disorder of a kid who just can't concentrate on anything and has a messed up brain which necessitates medication pronto. Most people who have such "disorders" are closer to the way I "have" it, than they are to kids whose brains are racing too fast for them to possibly keep up with. The disease can be easily faked.