Jump to topic:

USA is at Illegal Immigration Tipping Point

HisFlyness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 12:11:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I believe we are at a tipping point for illegal immigration in America right now. If something drastic isn't done soon, our country is going to go into a tailspin. We can't control the thousands of people coming into our country, using our resources and then skipping out on the bill. The economy is in rough enough shape without millions of undocumented people bringing it down further. Why am I not hearing anything about illegal immigration reform when we're talking about the economy? That alone could save millions, maybe even billions, of dollars.
"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." - Tolkein...or Babe Ruth. One of those guys.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:15:46 PM
At 7/22/2011 12:11:12 PM, HisFlyness wrote:
I believe we are at a tipping point for illegal immigration in America right now. If something drastic isn't done soon, our country is going to go into a tailspin. We can't control the thousands of people coming into our country, using our resources and then skipping out on the bill. The economy is in rough enough shape without millions of undocumented people bringing it down further. Why am I not hearing anything about illegal immigration reform when we're talking about the economy? That alone could save millions, maybe even billions, of dollars.

millions will not put a dent in our budget. Also, we've spent billions on immigration.

HR6061 was approved in 2006, and began a 700 mile wall. They were also working on a vitural fence, but that was canceled because it was too expensive and not doing jack. The money is being re-directed towards a physical fence. It is still in progress of being built.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:18:42 PM
At 7/22/2011 1:15:46 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

millions will not put a dent in our budget. Also, we've spent billions on immigration.

HR6061 was approved in 2006, and began a 700 mile wall. They were also working on a vitural fence, but that was canceled because it was too expensive and not doing jack. The money is being re-directed towards a physical fence. It is still in progress of being built.

Because a fence is obviously the best way to keep people from crossing. It can't be hopped or dug under or damaged in any way to allow passing. That's why it's such an effective an efficient way of stopping this problem and why allowing open borders is a ludicrous and outlandish suggestion.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:23:14 PM
At 7/22/2011 1:18:42 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

Because a fence is obviously the best way to keep people from crossing. It can't be hopped or dug under or damaged in any way to allow passing. That's why it's such an effective an efficient way of stopping this problem and why allowing open borders is a ludicrous and outlandish suggestion.

Can you jump 22 feet?

Also, while it is possible to dig under, it is far more difficult than simply walking across, meaning that people will have to put in much more effort for the same goal. That means that fewer will do it (kind of like adding taxes means companies have to work harder for the same money, fewer will do it).
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:27:40 PM
At 7/22/2011 1:23:14 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Can you jump 22 feet?

Yes, but that's just me. Climbing would be the option for normal people.

Also, while it is possible to dig under, it is far more difficult than simply walking across, meaning that people will have to put in much more effort for the same goal. That means that fewer will do it (kind of like adding taxes means companies have to work harder for the same money, fewer will do it).

How many holes have you dug? It's not too difficult, especially if the reward for digging it is the "land of opportunity". Holes could be reused and I'm sure coyotes and other traffickers will establish tunnel systems underneath it.

I didn't mean to offend you with my previous comment, as I now realize it could come off as kind of acerbic. I was just trying to establish my point that letting all immigrants come here legally may be a better option.
-innomen

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 1:37:47 PM
At 7/22/2011 1:27:40 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

Can you jump 22 feet?

How many holes have you dug? It's not too difficult, especially if the reward for digging it is the "land of opportunity". Holes could be reused and I'm sure coyotes and other traffickers will establish tunnel systems underneath it.

Digging a hole that goes under a wall like that takes a lot of time. And the only real place that holes are done is in town areas, where they can go from one house, several hundred feet, to another house (not possible out in the open). In those areas, there are still officers that are combating that.

That also only applies to a minority of illegals. Most that cross the border illegally do so buy simply driving or walking across of the open lands (where there is no wall and few patrols). Taking that option away will force them to either stay in Mexico, or to go through coyotes. Some with do the coyotes, and some will choose to stay. That means that illegal immigration is not stopped, but it is reduced.

Obviously the most important thing is catching expired VISAs (the #1 method of being an illegal immigrant). And that is something that the wall cannot do, but the wall can be an instrument to help, but not a single end all solution.

I didn't mean to offend you with my previous comment, as I now realize it could come off as kind of acerbic. I was just trying to establish my point that letting all immigrants come here legally may be a better option.

letting the come here legally doesn't change the status quo, only puts a different label on it. The people that come across illegally to join gangs, now come legally to join gangs. All the problems that come from illegal immigration won't disappear by calling it legal. The problems are not with the immigration, but the individuals that are doing it.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 2:59:18 PM
At 7/22/2011 1:37:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Can you jump 22 feet?

Digging a hole that goes under a wall like that takes a lot of time. And the only real place that holes are done is in town areas, where they can go from one house, several hundred feet, to another house (not possible out in the open). In those areas, there are still officers that are combating that.

Or you could just dig a small, one person hole that goes right under the fence.

That also only applies to a minority of illegals. Most that cross the border illegally do so buy simply driving or walking across of the open lands (where there is no wall and few patrols). Taking that option away will force them to either stay in Mexico, or to go through coyotes. Some with do the coyotes, and some will choose to stay. That means that illegal immigration is not stopped, but it is reduced.

Digging and climbing are still pretty easy options.

Obviously the most important thing is catching expired VISAs (the #1 method of being an illegal immigrant). And that is something that the wall cannot do, but the wall can be an instrument to help, but not a single end all solution.
But it won't even significantly hinder the influx of immigrants.

letting the come here legally doesn't change the status quo, only puts a different label on it. The people that come across illegally to join gangs, now come legally to join gangs. All the problems that come from illegal immigration won't disappear by calling it legal. The problems are not with the immigration, but the individuals that are doing it.

Most people don't come here illegally to join gangs. Most come here to get jobs to support their families here and in Mexico. Please provide a list of all the significant problems that come from illegal immigration.
-innomen

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 3:49:00 PM
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus, Inscribed on the stature of liberty.

Coming from a family where my Great-Grandfather was an Italian immigrant, I find immigration laws stupid. If people want to fill the gaps of the economy, why do they need a permit?

"But they're taking our jobs!" No their not. Immigrants are usually very talented workers or very untalented workers, while the bulk of the American work force is in the middle. This lets immigrants fill in the gaps, taking the Jobs that Americans don't want/need.

This video explains it a lot.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 4:51:39 PM
I believe we are at a tipping point for illegal immigration in America right now. If something drastic isn't done soon, our country is going to go into a tailspin. We can't control the thousands of people coming into our country, using our resources and then skipping out on the bill. The economy is in rough enough shape without millions of undocumented people bringing it down further. Why am I not hearing anything about illegal immigration reform when we're talking about the economy? That alone could save millions, maybe even billions, of dollars.:

You're not hearing more about it because you're wrong. Every generation hysterically bemoans the evils of immigration. First it was the Dutch, then the Germans, then the Irish, then the Polish, then the Italians, then Mexicans, then the Cubans, etc, etc... And all of them have assimilated and made the US enormously prosperous.

It sounds like, if nothing else, your key complaint is with the entitlement programs. So why not get rid of the entitlement programs and keep the immigrants?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:12:39 PM
At 7/22/2011 4:51:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I believe we are at a tipping point for illegal immigration in America right now. If something drastic isn't done soon, our country is going to go into a tailspin. We can't control the thousands of people coming into our country, using our resources and then skipping out on the bill. The economy is in rough enough shape without millions of undocumented people bringing it down further. Why am I not hearing anything about illegal immigration reform when we're talking about the economy? That alone could save millions, maybe even billions, of dollars.:

You're not hearing more about it because you're wrong. Every generation hysterically bemoans the evils of immigration. First it was the Dutch, then the Germans, then the Irish, then the Polish, then the Italians, then Mexicans, then the Cubans, etc, etc... And all of them have assimilated and made the US enormously prosperous.

It sounds like, if nothing else, your key complaint is with the entitlement programs. So why not get rid of the entitlement programs and keep the immigrants?

I think the point is "illegal" immigration. The waves of immigrants that probably your ancestors and mine were part of were legal, and yeah the entitlements are a gigantic problem. It's a major contributing problem of Califorinia, but it's not the immigrants, it's those who entice them with the entitlements and sanctuary cities. It is kind of silly to blame those who are taking advantage of the incentive than those who put them on the table.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 5:56:47 PM
At 7/22/2011 2:59:18 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

Can you jump 22 feet?

Not in a timely manner. This isn't a chain link fence that they're putting up.

not really. You know that the fense is 22 feet high concrete. Apart from in the city (where you would likely be noticed), you'll have to cross miles of desert, carrying a ladder or shovel.

Most people don't come here illegally to join gangs. Most come here to get jobs to support their families here and in Mexico. Please provide a list of all the significant problems that come from illegal immigration.

Never said most did, but a large number do. MS-13 is a gang comprised of mostly illegal immigrants and it is believed to be around 70,000 members large (the exact number is unknown because we don't track them very well). While that is not the majority of illegal immigrants, it is a significant number from only one gang (though most likely the gang with the largest number of illegals).

Most of the illegals that are here to get jobs do it via getting a visa, and not going home when it expires. Those are not the immigrants that the wall targets.

http://www.judicialwatch.org...

A large amount of our violent crimes come from gang activities, which often have high levels of illegal immigrants.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2011 11:08:19 PM

This.

And this.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2011 10:52:02 AM
At 7/22/2011 5:56:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/22/2011 2:59:18 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

Can you jump 22 feet?

Not in a timely manner. This isn't a chain link fence that they're putting up.

I think you greatly overestimate the difficulty of digging.

not really. You know that the fense is 22 feet high concrete. Apart from in the city (where you would likely be noticed), you'll have to cross miles of desert, carrying a ladder or shovel.
Shovels aren't too heavy, and you could use a hammer to make footholds in the wall.

Never said most did, but a large number do. MS-13 is a gang comprised of mostly illegal immigrants and it is believed to be around 70,000 members large (the exact number is unknown because we don't track them very well). While that is not the majority of illegal immigrants, it is a significant number from only one gang (though most likely the gang with the largest number of illegals).

Regardless of whether you support free immigration, I think the matter at hand here is that a border fence would be ineffective.

Most of the illegals that are here to get jobs do it via getting a visa, and not going home when it expires. Those are not the immigrants that the wall targets.

http://www.judicialwatch.org...

A large amount of our violent crimes come from gang activities, which often have high levels of illegal immigrants.
-innomen

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2011 9:03:19 PM
Mexicans are already tunneling under the border as we speak. A fence won't change that.

The amount of poor people in this country isn't being fueled primarily by illegal immigrants (most of which come from Europe, not Mexico, BTW), it's being fueled by our lust for garbage. We don't want to make grains and sh*t that would help people, we want to put people to work in fast food joints, call centers, and factories. Half the people in Green Bay (exaggeration) work solely for insurance companies, sorting out paperwork for people. If all our workers are doing things that don't actually help people, then why would we be surprised that most of our citizens don't have the basics taken care of?

Telling people they can't come into our country is like me going into your house, killing your family, and telling you that you need to apply for a visa to walk onto your property. The only reason why we don't already have Mexico as a state in the union is because after we conquered it we didn't want it (we took Texas and left the rest, like eating a steak and throwing back the bone and grizzle). It wasn't valuable enough resource-wise to be worth our trouble to protect it. And if that wasn't bad enough, we deplete the rivers that run south of our borders and destroy their towns, and then pay $1Billion a week to the DEA to fight our drug war which ravishes their communities. The only reason you want to end illegal immigration is because you don't live in Mexico.
Rob
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 1:37:20 AM

This is very true. Read a book Called Made in America by Bill Bryson: he explains all about it.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...