Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 12:02:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I found this a while ago.

http://www.ted.com...

Does this "blueprint" enable us to found utopia?

I think it does. Being able to farm and build efficiently, and sustainably (Open source!) is the most important component of a society.

Your thoughts?
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 8:22:36 AM
I could see this being successful if paired with my ideological foundations but with our current capitalist scheme I'm not sure what use it has. We have big farms; what do we need home-made tractors for?
Rob
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 1:06:12 PM
At 8/2/2011 8:22:36 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I could see this being successful if paired with my ideological foundations but with our current capitalist scheme I'm not sure what use it has. We have big farms; what do we need home-made tractors for?

Exactly my point.
Coupled with anarchist-communism this blue-print would be perfect. So what if one man can make 100 bricks an hour, our big capitalist factories can make thousands.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 2:25:56 PM
At 8/2/2011 12:02:44 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

http://www.ted.com...

I think it does. Being able to farm and build efficiently, and sustainably (Open source!) is the most important component of a society.

Your thoughts?

Reply: Movements like these are great for mankind, they have a piece of equipment called "The Liberator". The Liberator creates up 10 16 earth bricks per minute. With this machine and about $20,000 in material... I could build a comfortable pyramid home that has about 3000 sqft of total living space, covering two floors.

The blocks could also be used as pavers for a multitude of different projects consisting of walkways, driveways, etc.

These ideas give people their freedom back. It gives people a sense of being able to take care of themselves. Self sustainability should always be the foundation of every settlement.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 12:54:55 AM
At 8/3/2011 2:25:56 PM, Tiel wrote:

Your thoughts?

Reply: Movements like these are great for mankind, they have a piece of equipment called "The Liberator". The Liberator creates up 10 16 earth bricks per minute. With this machine and about $20,000 in material... I could build a comfortable pyramid home that has about 3000 sqft of total living space, covering two floors.

The blocks could also be used as pavers for a multitude of different projects consisting of walkways, driveways, etc.

These ideas give people their freedom back. It gives people a sense of being able to take care of themselves. Self sustainability should always be the foundation of every settlement.

Reply: I'd buy a 20,000 dollar custom home.

What about food? We need to learn how to farm again.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 3:26:18 AM
At 8/4/2011 12:54:55 AM, Rockylightning wrote:

Your thoughts?

Reply: Yes, and with the DYI tractor it wouldn't be very hard. I wonder how many sq ft of land it takes to feed one person per year on just vegetables and grain.

Also, it would be wise to raise chickens for eggs and have a few cows for milk. You could farm cows too if you wanted, but I wouldn't personal as it would take more space and it would be much harder. About 20 chickens and maybe 2 cows for milk, one bull for breeding. I would also barter for a horse as I can ride a horse for transportation. I don't recommend this for everyone, but it is a good choice for me and would make me even more independent from corporate control.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 1:27:22 PM
At 8/4/2011 3:26:18 AM, Tiel wrote:

Your thoughts?

Reply: Yes, and with the DYI tractor it wouldn't be very hard. I wonder how many sq ft of land it takes to feed one person per year on just vegetables and grain.

Also, it would be wise to raise chickens for eggs and have a few cows for milk. You could farm cows too if you wanted, but I wouldn't personal as it would take more space and it would be much harder. About 20 chickens and maybe 2 cows for milk, one bull for breeding. I would also barter for a horse as I can ride a horse for transportation. I don't recommend this for everyone, but it is a good choice for me and would make me even more independent from corporate control.

I did some research, varying between grain, corn, beans, squash, and other vegetables, (crop rotation) a single acre can feed 4-8 people a year. A few open range chickens for eggs, a cow or two for milk, I'd say 20 acres alone and you'd have enough for housing, food, recreation, and space for at least 50 people, at most 100. A horse is fine because it can fertilize the ground with manure, unlike a tractor. Housing would be built on scratch materials at first, but would improve anually as I would sell excess crops at a farmers market to buy material that cant be manufactured on the plot.

I'd need a wide range of skills. Blacksmiths, carpenters, engineers, farmers, and botanists etc.

Water would be taken from either a river/ stream, or extracted from a well. It is important to have more than one water source. It would be purified by boiling and other techniques. Meat (if eaten at all) would be a luxury served on rare occasions (When a milk cow dies, a chicken dies). Though theres plenty of protein from eggs. A chicken typically lays an egg a day, but there are ways to increase that amount. The chickens would also fertilize the fields (more crop rotation).

Thats all I have for now. Anything to add?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 1:32:31 PM
Open source projects are compatible with a capitalist society. In fact, the Austrian school of economics actually believe that copyrights and patents are incompatible with capitalism.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 1:35:58 PM
At 8/4/2011 1:32:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Open source projects are compatible with a capitalist society. In fact, the Austrian school of economics actually believe that copyrights and patents are incompatible with capitalism.

Ownership of ideas? Sounds like capitalism to me.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 2:41:14 PM

Reply: Capitalism is about profit. Community and DYI blueprints are for cooperation. They are not compatible at all. A capitalist would just try to own the rights to the blueprints and then sell them for profit. It's capitalism that is the problem. I would never support it in any community that I was a part of. Competition and greed of profit lead to conflict and unbalanced wealth distribution. Capitalism is a corrupt system which finds it's foundation in negative qualities.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 2:47:53 PM
At 8/4/2011 1:27:22 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Your thoughts?

I did some research, varying between grain, corn, beans, squash, and other vegetables, (crop rotation) a single acre can feed 4-8 people a year. A few open range chickens for eggs, a cow or two for milk, I'd say 20 acres alone and you'd have enough for housing, food, recreation, and space for at least 50 people, at most 100. A horse is fine because it can fertilize the ground with manure, unlike a tractor. Housing would be built on scratch materials at first, but would improve anually as I would sell excess crops at a farmers market to buy material that cant be manufactured on the plot.

I'd need a wide range of skills. Blacksmiths, carpenters, engineers, farmers, and botanists etc.

Water would be taken from either a river/ stream, or extracted from a well. It is important to have more than one water source. It would be purified by boiling and other techniques. Meat (if eaten at all) would be a luxury served on rare occasions (When a milk cow dies, a chicken dies). Though theres plenty of protein from eggs. A chicken typically lays an egg a day, but there are ways to increase that amount. The chickens would also fertilize the fields (more crop rotation).

Reply: I agree with all of it. A small school would also need to be built, but this could be just one average sized building. Also shaped as a pyramid. The pyramid structure would be used for 4 reasons.

1.) It is far easier and quicker to build than the current box/roof capped house structure.

2.) It takes far less resources to build than our current box shaped/roof capped houses structures.

3.) They are extremely energy efficient.

4.) As a structure they are very strong towards wind, rain, etc. Much stronger than the box/roof capped house structure.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:10:51 PM
At 8/4/2011 2:47:53 PM, Tiel wrote:

Your thoughts?

Reply: I agree with all of it. A small school would also need to be built, but this could be just one average sized building. Also shaped as a pyramid. The pyramid structure would be used for 4 reasons.

1.) It is far easier and quicker to build than the current box/roof capped house structure.

2.) It takes far less resources to build than our current box shaped/roof capped houses structures.

4.) As a structure they are very strong towards wind, rain, etc. Much stronger than the box/roof capped house structure.

How are they energy efficient?

What materials?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:21:37 PM
At 8/4/2011 1:35:58 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Capitalism is a system of negative rights. Namely the right to self-ownership and property obtained via homesteading.

Ownership of property makes sense since property is scarce. The most logical way to obtain property is via trade. When trade occurs, both parties benefit.

Ownership of ideas is effy territory since ideas are not scarce. Once an idea is discovered, it can be mass produced very efficiently. However, the question is what is the best way to implement the discovery of ideas, inventions, and innovations?
Open borders debate:
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:29:02 PM
At 8/4/2011 9:21:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Capitalism is a system of negative rights. Namely the right to self-ownership and property obtained via homesteading.

Ownership of property makes sense since property is scarce. The most logical way to obtain property is via trade. When trade occurs, both parties benefit.

Ownership of ideas is effy territory since ideas are not scarce. Once an idea is discovered, it can be mass produced very efficiently. However, the question is what is the best way to implement the discovery of ideas, inventions, and innovations?

Company A creates invention.

Company B steals invention.

Company A loses profit.

Capitalism doesnt work out for company A.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:29:45 PM

Your thoughts?

That only works for people who are interested in farming. Feeding yourself through agriculture would take a lot of work.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:46:42 PM
At 8/4/2011 9:29:02 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 8/4/2011 9:21:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Company A creates invention.

Company B steals invention.

Company A loses profit.

Capitalism doesnt work out for company A.

Not necessarily. Your forgetting many factors. For one, we don't know what the investment of company A is. This is important to take into consideration.

Second off, we don't know the cost of production. This is also critical.

Third off, we don't know what the number of firms in the market. Also important.

So let's say there are two firms, A and B. Once Firm A gets a hold of the idea, Firm A can mass produce the product and saturate the market. While Firm B can also produce the product, but Firm B cannot produce as much as Firm A. The mathematics is confusing, but interesting nonetheless. An understanding of calculus is required. It's called the first mover advantage:

It also doesn't take into consideration that the first firm to come up with the product is likely to keep the market since the brand name keeps it popularity.

There's actually a theory, called the U theory that states that those firms that are oligopolies tend to be very R&D intensive,while monopolies and pure competition are not.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 9:58:53 PM
Let's see If I can explain the first mover advantage in layman terms:

Prices are partially based by the quantity of the product. The greater the quantity, the lower the prices. This sounds reasonable right?

If there is only 1 Firm, it can choose how much of a product it wants to sell. If there are 2 firms, the tendency to effect the amount of products in the market tend to diminish.

Also, in order to produce anything a firm needs capital: machines, computers, etc. Capital costs vary from industry.

If Firm 1 has the first idea, it can produce as much of the product as it wants. Ideally its going to produce what is most profitable. If prices fall too much from production, then it stops producing.

However, Firm 2 can also produce the same goods. However, It can only produce a smaller amount, since the price will lower so radically. It also has to cover its capital costs as well, and produce less. It therefore makes a much smaller profit then Firm 1, and Firm 1 wins from the scenario, even though there are no patents.
Open borders debate:
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 10:28:10 PM
Statement: It's kind of disturbing how desperately some people cling to capitalism, when it's main driving factors are greed, profit. and domination towards others. The whole point of capitalism is to try driving you competition out of business so you can dominate the product or service market in which your company profits from. It's these same people that are destroying any balance in the system that we have left. It is a syste4m that is destined to fail at some point. There is going to be a point in time when people look back at history and see why these systems kept failing. That is going to be the time when capitalism get's replaced by a better system design.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 10:35:35 PM
At 8/4/2011 10:28:10 PM, Tiel wrote:
Statement: It's kind of disturbing how desperately some people cling to capitalism, when it's main driving factors are greed, profit. and domination towards others. The whole point of capitalism is to try driving you competition out of business so you can dominate the product or service market in which your company profits from. It's these same people that are destroying any balance in the system that we have left. It is a syste4m that is destined to fail at some point. There is going to be a point in time when people look back at history and see why these systems kept failing. That is going to be the time when capitalism get's replaced by a better system design.

1. Greed etc are effects of capitalism, not a basis.

2. IF people realize it. More likely that they will stay under materialist enchantment.

Other than that, agreed.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 10:42:31 PM
Statement: It's kind of disturbing how desperately some people cling to capitalism, when it's main driving factors are greed, profit. and domination towards others.

Profit is a signal to determine whether a product is of value or not. If people are willing to pay for it, it has subjective value. If there are no profits, then there is no way to determine how much people value goods and services. It is the best indicator to determine whether you are serving your fellow man properly. Those that do not, go bankrupt.

Take for example Facebook. Here's an invention that has allowed people to interact with one another in ways that nobody could have possibly imagined. Or debate.org.

Also greed is inherent in human nature, not capitalism. Same with domination. Capitalism just uses these to the best of their ability.

The whole point of capitalism is to try driving you competition out of business

No it isn't. Such an act is too expensive and unstable. Competition lowers prices.

so you can dominate the product or service market in which your company profits from.

Since your initial premise is false, the second one also fails.

It's these same people that are destroying any balance in the system that we have left.

non sequiter. What balance?

It is a syste4m that is destined to fail at some point. There is going to be a point in time when people look back at history and see why these systems kept failing. That is going to be the time when capitalism get's replaced by a better system design.

And yet, you provide no evidence to show the predictions of the future. What evidence do you provide? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Open borders debate:
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2011 10:47:53 PM
At 8/4/2011 9:10:51 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Your thoughts?

What materials?

Reply: They are energy efficient because of there geometric shape. The shape of a pyramid (prism) is far more energy efficient than that of a box. A dome shape is even more energy efficient for a home and if we had the right materials, I could build geometric domes. The hard part is that you need star connectors for the frame and tough they could be fabricated it would be more difficult than a pyramid.

I can design homes from any materials available. But I could use tree logs and earth blocks if that's all we had to build with. I would definitely need hand tools though. They are the most important. Axe, framing hammer, sledgehammer, hand saw, pick axe, stamper, post hole digger, grind stone, knife, hard rake, manual lawn mower, a 1ft level, a 2ft level, a 4ft level, framing square, mini square, flat bar, some clamps, and a couple pairs of channel locks.

I already ave all of those... So it's not a problem.

Some lithium battery powered tools would be a great help too. For about $500 dollars I could build a solar power deep cycle battery station that would be powerful enough to keep charging our batteries.
crackrocks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:07:47 AM
At 8/4/2011 10:35:35 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

2. IF people realize it. More likely that they will stay under materialist enchantment.

Other than that, agreed.

Capitalism is the purest form of anarchy
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:15:05 AM
At 8/5/2011 1:07:47 AM, crackrocks wrote:

Other than that, agreed.

Dont
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:17:05 AM
At 8/4/2011 10:47:53 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/4/2011 9:10:51 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Your thoughts?

What materials?

Reply: They are energy efficient because of there geometric shape. The shape of a pyramid (prism) is far more energy efficient than that of a box. A dome shape is even more energy efficient for a home and if we had the right materials, I could build geometric domes. The hard part is that you need star connectors for the frame and tough they could be fabricated it would be more difficult than a pyramid.

I can design homes from any materials available. But I could use tree logs and earth blocks if that's all we had to build with. I would definitely need hand tools though. They are the most important. Axe, framing hammer, sledgehammer, hand saw, pick axe, stamper, post hole digger, grind stone, knife, hard rake, manual lawn mower, a 1ft level, a 2ft level, a 4ft level, framing square, mini square, flat bar, some clamps, and a couple pairs of channel locks.

I already ave all of those... So it's not a problem.

Some lithium battery powered tools would be a great help too. For about $500 dollars I could build a solar power deep cycle battery station that would be powerful enough to keep charging our batteries.

Here's the actual project. http://opensourceecology.org...
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 4:53:03 PM
At 8/5/2011 1:07:47 AM, crackrocks wrote:

Other than that, agreed.

Reply: It's the exact opposite of anarchy. A state is just a large corporation. Capitalism in no way is anything like anarchy. Capitalism always forms rules because it always involves profit and profit always involves interaction between humans. When you have interactions between humans, you automatically have rules that are either enforced formally or informally. Seeing this, a capitalist would see that there could be a huge profit in the enforcement and protection of people and rules. This corporation would be no different from a "state".

Please, go ahead and tell me how anarchy and capitalism are compatible in a practical way.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 4:57:29 PM
The whole point of capitalism is to try driving you competition out of business so you can dominate the product or service market in which your company profits from.
That simply doesn't work. If your competititon goes out of business, the physical capital of their factories still exists and will be sold and put in competing order the moment your prices go high enough to make it worthwhile.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 5:40:07 PM
At 8/5/2011 4:57:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The whole point of capitalism is to try driving you competition out of business so you can dominate the product or service market in which your company profits from.
That simply doesn't work. If your competititon goes out of business, the physical capital of their factories still exists and will be sold and put in competing order the moment your prices go high enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this. The capital can be so devalued due to the monopolists use of predatory price, therefore making it only affordable for the monopolist to buy the capital, and unprofitable for others.
Open borders debate: