Jump to topic:

Baby production - outsourced

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 10:24:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems that people who are unable to have kids are using surrogates from India as this costs 10 - 15k less.

The usual pros and cons of outsourcing.

Thoughts?

http://technorati.com...
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 10:34:56 AM
Seems like a valid transaction to me. With today's interconnected world, what's the difference if a surrogate mother is next door or across the world?

One of the main CON contentions seems to be that the deals are usually unfair to the surrogate mothers. Well, if this is the case, the surrogate mothers can refuse to take on another person's child.

The other CON contention is against surrogacy in general, and thus has no basis in the argument about outsourcing baby births.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 10:50:32 AM
At 8/11/2011 10:24:36 AM, Indophile wrote:
It seems that people who are unable to have kids are using surrogates from India as this costs 10 - 15k less.

Thoughts?

wouldn't want my baby born in an indian hospital :/

wonder if they could get work visas easy to come here.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 11:15:25 AM
I would never be a surrogate mother but recently I've been (not terribly seriously) contemplating donating my eggs. I'd make between 5 and 10,000 dollars! In addition it seems like a good cause: helping an infertile woman have a baby - and clearly it's going to be a woman with the financial means to support it. Plus I think I've got really good genes so the baby is probably better off with mine than hers anyway ;)
President of DDO
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 11:20:01 AM
At 8/11/2011 11:15:25 AM, Danielle wrote:
I would never be a surrogate mother but recently I've been (not terribly seriously) contemplating donating my eggs. I'd make between 5 and 10,000 dollars! In addition it seems like a good cause: helping an infertile woman have a baby - and clearly it's going to be a woman with the financial means to support it. Plus I think I've got really good genes so the baby is probably better off with mine than hers anyway ;)

I heard it is a painful process, and maybe some side effects. I thunk you have to go on some drug treatment prior that messes your woman parts. Have you checked on it?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 11:38:42 AM
At 8/11/2011 11:20:01 AM, jharry wrote:

I heard it is a painful process, and maybe some side effects. I thunk you have to go on some drug treatment prior that messes your woman parts. Have you checked on it?

They are also extremely selective (and borderline discriminative) in the process (anywhere from weight/height standards to test score requirements to eye and hair color to whatever else). You also may want to keep the fact that you're a lesbian and drug user hush hush (hope you don't have a criminal record).

Another joy of being a man. Sperm donating, while almost as selective (not quite, but still damn picky) only makes a few hundred, but is much much easier.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 11:46:42 AM
At 8/11/2011 11:38:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

They are also extremely selective (and borderline discriminative) in the process (anywhere from weight/height standards to test score requirements to eye and hair color to whatever else). You also may want to keep the fact that you're a lesbian and drug user hush hush (hope you don't have a criminal record).

Another joy of being a man. Sperm donating, while almost as selective (not quite, but still damn picky) only makes a few hundred, but is much much easier.

apart from being far from painful!
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 11:48:00 AM
At 8/11/2011 10:50:32 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Thoughts?

of course, if the only reason you are even going there is to save money, you can't expect five star treatment.

interesting. do you count growing a baby in the womb as "work"?
And it will be true.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 1:20:45 PM

Another one, we can donate infinite amounts and even in old age until we die. Oh we are so generous XD
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 1:22:25 PM
At 8/11/2011 1:20:45 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Another one, we can donate infinite amounts and even in old age until we die. Oh we are so generous XD

That would mean a ton of Rockylightnings running around. The world would be a better place :P
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 1:35:49 PM
At 8/11/2011 1:22:25 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
That would mean a ton of Rockylightnings running around. The world would be a better place :P

Apocalypse
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 3:23:41 PM

It's very selective. If one can make money by masturbating, then basically any guy that can would.
Open borders debate:
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 3:25:59 PM
At 8/11/2011 10:50:32 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Thoughts?

More interesting question: if the Indian woman comes here to give birth, are we just adding to the supply of potential anchor babies?

Think about it.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 4:08:59 PM
At 8/11/2011 1:35:49 PM, seraine wrote:
At 8/11/2011 1:22:25 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Apocalypse
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 5:19:35 PM
"How is babby formed?"

"Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, mommy lets daddy take some money to a country full of poor people..."

Sorry, couldn't resist
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 5:30:54 PM
People can only be as selective as they can afford. I know that a lot of rich Jewish people spend bank to get a candidate who looks EXACTLY a certain way (within 1 inch and 5 lbs of a specific requirement) as well as have all of these other expectations, such as the woman (of course) having to be Jewish, as well as scoring really high on their SATs, having certain artistic qualities or interests, getting good grades, passing a background check, having to prove a lot about their family/health history, etc.

Now I know I'm not perfect, but I'd like to think my genes would be pretty worthwhile :) I'm sure if they met me I could hustle at least $8K outta people. My best bet would be to avoid agencies and just work with couples directly, I presume. Preferably rich and desperate couples with good values. Also, maybe they wouldn't care that I was gay! Especially if they didn't think gayness was biological. Or maybe they'd be super hippy dippy liberals. Hmm, nah, then they probably wouldn't have any money. Who knows! This is all in theory anyway; I wouldn't actually go through with it unless I was really desperate for cash.
President of DDO
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 5:32:26 PM
At 8/11/2011 5:19:35 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
"How is babby formed?"

"Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, mommy lets daddy take some money to a country full of poor people..."

Sorry, couldn't resist

It's capitalism, of course you cannot resist!!!
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 5:54:30 PM
At 8/11/2011 5:30:54 PM, Danielle wrote:
People can only be as selective as they can afford. I know that a lot of rich Jewish people spend bank to get a candidate who looks EXACTLY a certain way (within 1 inch and 5 lbs of a specific requirement) as well as have all of these other expectations, such as the woman (of course) having to be Jewish, as well as scoring really high on their SATs, having certain artistic qualities or interests, getting good grades, passing a background check, having to prove a lot about their family/health history, etc.

Now I know I'm not perfect, but I'd like to think my genes would be pretty worthwhile :) I'm sure if they met me I could hustle at least $8K outta people. My best bet would be to avoid agencies and just work with couples directly, I presume. Preferably rich and desperate couples with good values. Also, maybe they wouldn't care that I was gay! Especially if they didn't think gayness was biological. Or maybe they'd be super hippy dippy liberals. Hmm, nah, then they probably wouldn't have any money. Who knows! This is all in theory anyway; I wouldn't actually go through with it unless I was really desperate for cash.

Gestational surrogacy takes out the need to test for the surrogate mother's genes. It's basically rent-a-womb. Anyone's will do.

I don't get the point of traditional surrogacy at all. How's it much different from adoption? The baby is not completely the couple's. It's just like the father had sex with another woman and had a baby by her (only there's no sex involved).
And it will be true.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 5:54:47 PM
http://www.popsci.com...
Minister Of Trolling
:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 6:17:53 PM
At 8/11/2011 5:54:30 PM, Indophile wrote:
Gestational surrogacy takes out the need to test for the surrogate mother's genes. It's basically rent-a-womb. Anyone's will do.

I wasn't talking about surrogacy; I was talking about egg donation so the genes are definitely relevant.
President of DDO
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 6:23:56 PM

Thoughts?

Reply: Another 10-15k outsourced on each transaction to another country's economy instead of ours? Outsourcing will be one of the downfalls of our economy in America. Along with our corrupt politics, a failed monetary system, technology replacing human jobs, etc. That's my opinion.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 6:47:39 PM
At 8/11/2011 6:23:56 PM, Tiel wrote:

Thoughts?

Reply: Another 10-15k outsourced on each transaction to another country's economy instead of ours? Outsourcing will be one of the downfalls of our economy in America. Along with our corrupt politics, a failed monetary system, technology replacing human jobs, etc. That's my opinion.

I take it you are all for people paying other people to wash their clothes, clean their houses, ferry them from one place to another, etc. instead of using washing machines, vacuum cleaners, cars et al.
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 6:49:40 PM
At 8/11/2011 6:17:53 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/11/2011 5:54:30 PM, Indophile wrote:

I wasn't talking about surrogacy; I was talking about egg donation so the genes are definitely relevant.

Well, in that case, it's going to be your baby, instead of the couple's, isn't it? I really don't see the point of getting a baby this way. You might as well adopt, yes?
And it will be true.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 7:41:40 PM

Thoughts?

Wait a second! I thought you were big on tech replacing workers...?
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 7:42:05 PM
At 8/11/2011 7:41:40 PM, seraine wrote:

Thoughts?

Wait a second! I thought you were big on tech replacing workers...?

Also, since when is trade a zero sum game?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2011 8:44:44 PM
At 8/11/2011 6:47:39 PM, Indophile wrote:

Thoughts?

I take it you are all for people paying other people to wash their clothes, clean their houses, ferry them from one place to another, etc. instead of using washing machines, vacuum cleaners, cars et al.

I'm all about keeping business local whenever possible. Stimulating local economy. Always.

The whole system needs to be revised and updated now that we have technology to do the things that humans once needed to do. Greed and manipulation is no longer something that should be rewarded or accepted by the socio-economic system. Humans are evolved enough now to redevelop the system and move past this current stage of human development which causes so much imbalance/problems.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2011 10:21:54 AM
At 8/11/2011 8:44:44 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 8/11/2011 6:47:39 PM, Indophile wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm all about keeping business local whenever possible. Stimulating local economy. Always.

Noble sentiments, I agree. But what if local people can buy things cheaper from some other place? They shouldn't be allowed to do so?

The whole system needs to be revised and updated now that we have technology to do the things that humans once needed to do. Greed and manipulation is no longer something that should be rewarded or accepted by the socio-economic system. Humans are evolved enough now to redevelop the system and move past this current stage of human development which causes so much imbalance/problems.

As opposed to a past stage of human development that did not cause much of imbalance/problems?

Please point out such a stage and time, I'll be glad to know there was once a time like this.

Progess is always about creating imbalance. Then a new balance occurs. Then progress/imbalance. Then balance. You cannot just stay at one place.
And it will be true.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2011 9:45:40 PM
At 8/11/2011 6:49:40 PM, Indophile wrote:
Well, in that case, it's going to be your baby, instead of the couple's, isn't it? I really don't see the point of getting a baby this way. You might as well adopt, yes?

Well with egg donation, the guy can still be the father so that the child has biological ties to the couple. Also, as I said some people are VERY picky in their requirements - demanding the mother be a specific religion, look a particular way, have certain specific qualities (such as proof of intelligence), do an extensive check on the potential mother's family medical history, etc.
President of DDO