Jump to topic:

Females posing as males

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 4:08:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Interesting study shows that 70% of females pose as males in online communities, most likely due to sexual harassment and sexism:

http://www.guardian.co.uk...

Got me thinking if anybody on DDO is a female posing as a male. It's actually quite understandable, although kind of weird If you think that a women needs to fake her gender in order to get respect.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 9:21:14 AM
I'm posing as a female with a very large clitoris :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:42:00 PM
At 8/16/2011 9:21:14 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm posing as a female with a very large clitoris :)

3 inches is quite big for a clit. =]
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:46:57 PM
What about dudes playing dudes disguised as other dudes?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:49:49 PM
At 8/16/2011 12:46:57 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

There's actually an Indian (Hindi) movie where a dude (actor) is playing a dude (character-1) playing a dude (character-2) playing himself (character-1).

See if you can understand that.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 12:54:16 PM
At 8/16/2011 12:49:49 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 8/16/2011 12:46:57 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

There's actually an Indian (Hindi) movie where a dude (actor) is playing a dude (character-1) playing a dude (character-2) playing himself (character-1).

See if you can understand that.

I understand....I think.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 8:20:21 PM
At 8/16/2011 4:08:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Interesting study shows that 70% of females pose as males in online communities, most likely due to sexual harassment and sexism:

Got me thinking if anybody on DDO is a female posing as a male. It's actually quite understandable, although kind of weird If you think that a women needs to fake her gender in order to get respect.

I bet you 70% of online females are really males.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2011 11:55:30 PM
At 8/16/2011 8:20:21 PM, Wnope wrote:

I bet you 70% of online females are really males.

That's a myth. Of course it happens, like thGhostWriter, but that's just for pedophiles.
Open borders debate:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 3:23:10 AM

Yeah, 'cause the guys here are soooo intimidating. From everything i've seen the women that do come here can whip any of these guys. Belle, Danielle, Andromeda, Non_Entity etc. generally are among our most formidable posters and debaters.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:12:24 AM
At 8/17/2011 3:23:10 AM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, 'cause the guys here are soooo intimidating. From everything i've seen the women that do come here can whip any of these guys. Belle, Danielle, Andromeda, Non_Entity etc. generally are among our most formidable posters and debaters.

Well first off If your starting off a new account, then you don't have enough information to judge whether the site is sexist or contains sexual harassment or not. Lovelife stated in a debate I had with her:
"I also believe that DDO already has that attitude which drives away most of the females.'"
Open borders debate:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:14:51 AM
At 8/17/2011 4:12:24 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Well first off If your starting off a new account, then you don't have enough information to judge whether the site is sexist or contains sexual harassment or not. Lovelife stated in a debate I had with her:
"I also believe that DDO already has that attitude which drives away most of the females.'"

You're quoting Lovelife to support your argument?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:23:50 AM
At 8/17/2011 4:14:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Well, I simply would not know whether DDO is sexist or contains sexual harassment that would offend other women, since I myself and not a female, so wouldn't understand. So I relied on lovelife, who would have personal knowledge, different from my own.
Open borders debate:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:32:57 AM
At 8/17/2011 4:23:50 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/17/2011 4:14:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Well, I simply would not know whether DDO is sexist or contains sexual harassment that would offend other women, since I myself and not a female, so wouldn't understand. So I relied on lovelife, who would have personal knowledge, different from my own.

It doesn't take a female to understand if there's sexual harassment on the site. If a girl is being harassed right in front of you, won't you realize that?

Personally, I don't think there is. I've never seen it, except maybe between lovelife and panda, though that was more of a childish bickering.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2011 4:41:42 AM
At 8/17/2011 4:32:57 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

It doesn't take a female to understand if there's sexual harassment on the site. If a girl is being harassed right in front of you, won't you realize that?

Well, not necessarily. For example, How am I to know whether women are treated differently from men on DDO. It could be a subconscious or more subtle thing that I don't realize.

Furthermore, of course there are sexist jokes on DDO, but there are also a bunch of non-PC jokes on DDO. How am I to know what is crossing the line?

Personally, I don't think there is. I've never seen it, except maybe between lovelife and panda, though that was more of a childish bickering.

Well, there we go right there. A perfect example. Also there s a fine line between childish bickering and just plain mean.
Open borders debate:
Solomon_Kane
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:51:39 AM
I find it really egotistical for any woman to assume that she'll become an object of desire, purely on the basis of her gender.

It reminds me of women who claim to be more comfortable around gay men, as they aren't trying to 'get some place'. She's assuming that every straight man on earth would want to.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 9:42:26 AM
At 8/24/2011 7:51:39 AM, Solomon_Kane wrote:
I find it really egotistical for any woman to assume that she'll become an object of desire, purely on the basis of her gender.

It reminds me of women who claim to be more comfortable around gay men, as they aren't trying to 'get some place'. She's assuming that every straight man on earth would want to.

For some girls, that is a reality though. I get blamed by my boyfriend when guys hit on and he accuses me of being "too friendly". In order to avoid conflict with him I have to make the assumption that every guy is going to hit on me. If I don't and he does hit on me, it's a mountain of headache for me.

I'm not sure how true the stats are, but I was a member here for quite a few months before I ever posted a picture of myself. If you have any questions why, Google the DDO Honesty Box 2 thread. Why is it that, in that thread, none of the guys had their looks mentioned? Sometimes girls just don't want to have their identities tied to whether they're pretty or not.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 2:48:09 PM
At 8/24/2011 9:42:26 AM, nonentity wrote
Why is it that, in that thread, none of the guys had their looks mentioned?
Cause the wimminz and gays don't care, and hence nobody does.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:06:53 PM
At 8/24/2011 2:48:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I think there actually were a few.
Open borders debate:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:13:52 PM
At 8/24/2011 3:06:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Well, then the issue is moot. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:15:38 PM
At 8/24/2011 3:13:52 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 8/24/2011 3:06:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Well, then the issue is moot. ^_^

Not necessarily. If women were statistically way more likely to be mentioned the guys, it is worthy. Although, at the same time, I wonder how many people would actually write themselves into the DDO box.
Open borders debate: