Jump to topic:

The N-Word

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:38:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
An interesting thing happened, and I am surprised no one noticed. We all recall what happened when Kramer from Seinfeld when he used the word. A lot of reactions from non-blacks that I heard was "oh, it's just a word."

Here is a routine by Louie. It uses the N-word more times than Kramer does. Yet there hasn't been a complaint.

If the word is so offensive when spoken by any non-black, why is no one outraged by the routine?
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2011 11:48:16 PM
At 8/19/2011 11:38:54 PM, Wnope wrote:
An interesting thing happened, and I am surprised no one noticed. We all recall what happened when Kramer from Seinfeld when he used the word. A lot of reactions from non-blacks that I heard was "oh, it's just a word."

Here is a routine by Louie. It uses the N-word more times than Kramer does. Yet there hasn't been a complaint.

If the word is so offensive when spoken by any non-black, why is no one outraged by the routine?

I wish I could say the "N-word" in the fashion that he did. But unfortunetly in this political corrected society, no one except a minority (Asians would most likely be excluded for this purpose) can get away with saying it.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 12:04:57 AM
shouting "its a nigger" in a rage at black people is way different than making fun of the word when its not directed at anyone. that guy from the original video didn't actually call anyone a nigger directly. if he did there would probably be more outcry.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
askboblolol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:09:28 AM
At 8/20/2011 12:04:57 AM, belle wrote:
shouting "its a nigger" in a rage at black people is way different than making fun of the word when its not directed at anyone. that guy from the original video didn't actually call anyone a nigger directly. if he did there would probably be more outcry.

I agree with belle. There's a difference between saying "shitt" when you lose a game or stub your toe and calling someone a piece of shitt.

Same word, different reactions. That's what I love about curse words.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 7:34:26 AM

If the word is so offensive when spoken by any non-black, why is no one outraged by the routine?:

Because Kramer said it with obvious spite versus a comedy routine. Daniel Tosh's comedy is so racist, and yet no one is offended because they know he's only joking. Kramer's rant was clearly tainted with a lot of actual animosity versus just a comedy skit geared towards lighthearted humor.

Some people are offended just to hear the word, but perhaps they need to grow a sack and deal with it. Oh, and please don't say "N-word," that's more offensive to me than just saying nigger.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 10:48:44 AM

I'm personally against any inappropriate words. They teach you when you're little not to curse. Most people abandon those teachings by middle school, I kept them. The N word is just the same to me as the f word, unpleasant to hear and drags down the dignity and integrity of the environment in which it is said.

Black, white, indian, asian, I don't care, I don't respect anyone who uses that it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 11:04:55 AM
At 8/20/2011 10:57:08 AM, Danielle wrote:
I don't respect anyone who respects someone less based on their vernacular alone...

That's nice.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:17:20 PM
At 8/20/2011 10:57:08 AM, Danielle wrote:
I don't respect anyone who respects someone less based on their vernacular alone...:

Seriously.

Ike, please stop being such a p*ssy.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:23:30 PM
At 8/20/2011 10:48:44 AM, 000ike wrote:

I'm personally against any inappropriate words. They teach you when you're little not to curse. Most people abandon those teachings by middle school, I kept them. The N word is just the same to me as the f word, unpleasant to hear and drags down the dignity and integrity of the environment in which it is said.

Black, white, indian, asian, I don't care, I don't respect anyone who uses that it.

Eh. I disagree. I have no animosity toward "inappropriate words". What I HAVE animosity toward is inappropriate words at inappropriate times. I'd be lying if I said I don't swear in social settings. But there's a difference between outright avoiding words, and using them at appropriate times. Obviously one shouldn't swear when speaking with authority figures, or in a job interview. But, truly, in an informal situation, why not?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 1:54:21 PM
I can't see the video at all (I'm at work), but just to respond to the comments... my question is why would anyone want to say the N-word? For singing along to rap music?

Anyway, it's more offensive when white people say it amongst their friends, but hide it from unfamiliar black people.

I was on a date with a white guy once and his mom was there (we were 16 and he wasn't fully licenced so she had to be in the car LOL). He was trying to describe a classmate to me and I didn't know who he was talking about. He said "I know you know him. He's a big nigger--" then he stopped and stared at his mom and she was scandalized. He also had a tendency to call his ex-girlfriend a "dirty spic". And he had two friends named Mike (one white and one black). To differentiate between them, they called one of them "Nigger Mike".

That, to me, is not cool.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:00:13 PM
At 8/20/2011 1:54:21 PM, nonentity wrote:
I can't see the video at all (I'm at work), but just to respond to the comments... my question is why would anyone want to say the N-word? For singing along to rap music?

Anyway, it's more offensive when white people say it amongst their friends, but hide it from unfamiliar black people.

I was on a date with a white guy once and his mom was there (we were 16 and he wasn't fully licenced so she had to be in the car LOL). He was trying to describe a classmate to me and I didn't know who he was talking about. He said "I know you know him. He's a big nigger--" then he stopped and stared at his mom and she was scandalized. He also had a tendency to call his ex-girlfriend a "dirty spic". And he had two friends named Mike (one white and one black). To differentiate between them, they called one of them "Nigger Mike".

Yeah, its a touchy word. People get offended when black people can supposedly say a word, but others can't. When you think about it, its silly. What does the word "Nigger" mean anyway? Its a derogatory epithet that white people once used to demean and insult black people during times of racism. This word in the modern day, carries the same nuance and the same history and weight. It is for this reason that I son't respect anyone who uses the word because it shows an ignorance of its meaning and weight. Human beings are touchy creatures, get used to it.
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:02:50 PM
And he had two friends named Mike (one white and one black). To differentiate between them, they called one of them "Nigger Mike".

Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:05:29 PM

That, to me, is not cool.:

All things aside, that's a little funny to me. But it also completely depends on the context. If Mike doesn't mind being "Nigger Mike" as a joke, I don't mind being called Cracker Andy just for shits and giggles. In fact, I'm usually the butt of many a Mexican jokes because I look white, but have a hispanic last name. All in context and in spirit.

It's the same thing for pretty much all of us who would laugh at if Dave Chappelle or Eddie Murphy said it. That's all depending on whether or not it's said jokingly or with a lot of animosity.

Because as for me, I hate racism. I really do. It's so useless. That said, some racial jokes are pretty goddamn funny and others are tasteless racial jokes that piss me off.

I don't know how to articulate it, but there is a subtle degree of acceptable racial jokes, and some that disgust me. I really don't know how to describe it.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:27:05 PM
At 8/20/2011 2:05:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

All things aside, that's a little funny to me. But it also completely depends on the context. If Mike doesn't mind being "Nigger Mike" as a joke, I don't mind being called Cracker Andy just for shits and giggles. In fact, I'm usually the butt of many a Mexican jokes because I look white, but have a hispanic last name. All in context and in spirit.

Yeah, Mike knew he was being called that and he was cool with it (who knows, maybe he started it). Their whole circle of friends (white, black, and South Asian) call each other the N-word on a regular basis. They are cool guys, and the guy I dated was super cool and I like him a lot. But I don't like to hang around people who talk like that around me (they don't, usually). Maybe it's irrational, but the word just makes my heart race :(

It's the same thing for pretty much all of us who would laugh at if Dave Chappelle or Eddie Murphy said it. That's all depending on whether or not it's said jokingly or with a lot of animosity.

Because as for me, I hate racism. I really do. It's so useless. That said, some racial jokes are pretty goddamn funny and others are tasteless racial jokes that piss me off.

I don't know how to articulate it, but there is a subtle degree of acceptable racial jokes, and some that disgust me. I really don't know how to describe it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:36:58 PM
Yeah, Mike knew he was being called that and he was cool with it (who knows, maybe he started it). Their whole circle of friends (white, black, and South Asian) call each other the N-word on a regular basis. They are cool guys, and the guy I dated was super cool and I like him a lot. But I don't like to hang around people who talk like that around me (they don't, usually). Maybe it's irrational, but the word just makes my heart race:

Aww, that makes me sad to hear. :(

It's not irrational, sweetie. It was a very sordid and derrogatory word for a long time, and in some instances still is, so it's bound to cause a rightfully visceral emotion.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2011 2:44:13 PM
At 8/20/2011 2:36:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Yeah, Mike knew he was being called that and he was cool with it (who knows, maybe he started it). Their whole circle of friends (white, black, and South Asian) call each other the N-word on a regular basis. They are cool guys, and the guy I dated was super cool and I like him a lot. But I don't like to hang around people who talk like that around me (they don't, usually). Maybe it's irrational, but the word just makes my heart race:

Aww, that makes me sad to hear. :(

It's not irrational, sweetie. It was a very sordid and derrogatory word for a long time, and in some instances still is, so it's bound to cause a rightfully visceral emotion.

Thats what I said lol.
curious18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 7:32:04 PM
It's already been said, but it totally depends on the situation and context. When used to insult or sugegst that someone is less than a human, that has major problems, irregardless of what the word is.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:43:44 PM
Some of my favorite music has the word nigga all through it, and I am a musician and love to sing my favorite rap songs.

Yo; by a nigga
who couldn't FIGURE
yo; by a nigga
who couldn't FIGURE
how to pull the fvckin gun trigger I said get the fvck outta here
... Introducin YO FVCK THAT NIGGAS NAME

I'll be singing this sh*t all the time and I have black people living in like half of the houses around me. I have to sing it and run behind walls and make sure the fvckin windows are closed so I don't get a baseball bat thrown through.

Black people have obviously assimilated the term, so technically it should be fair game in a joking sense. There are white people, however, that use it in a purely derogatory sense. There are also black people who consider any white usage of the term automatic reason to punk them out, which doesn't help.

I really liked Pulp Fiction for some of the usages in there; I thought they did a good job of trancending both the white and black problems with the term. Black guys like being called nigga, so calling them it shouldn't be a problem.

Eminem said that he would never use the term out of respect for blacks. What would happen if he didn't make that commitment?

This was a tough post to get past the profanity filter. Can't we get that fvcking thing changed? What if we get a strong black community going and they aren't allowed to call each other nigga?
Rob
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 11:48:29 PM
I like using slurs, whether racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, or religiously intolerant when either in an informal setting or to subtly make fun of racists, including my grandmothers outright racism or the involuntary racism of everyone else.

My grandmother will be talking about how there are too many "niggers" moving into her neighborhood and in turn I'll yell "let's go lynch us one a those big lipped bastards!" Sometimes she gets it and understands how stupid she really is and sometimes she thinks I just want attention. Either way it's fun.

Also don't call me a racist, some of my best friends are black, I donate a the time to African-American charities, I voted for Obama, other unintendendly racist excuses for not being racist.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 9:35:07 PM
Eh. I don't mind it anymore than any other swear word. I'm one if the many blacks who says "nigga" on a regular basis. Its just if you attack me with the word, ill retaliate.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 9:43:49 PM
At 8/22/2011 9:35:07 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Eh. I don't mind it anymore than any other swear word. I'm one if the many blacks who says "nigga" on a regular basis. Its just if you attack me with the word, ill retaliate.

*makes note note to attack Marquis with "nigga"
Rob
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 10:18:43 PM
At 8/22/2011 9:43:49 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Shush Cracka
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 11:43:01 PM
At 8/22/2011 10:18:43 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/22/2011 9:43:49 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Shush Cracka

Does that mean you're going to eat me, parrot?
Rob
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 10:23:38 PM

I was on a date with a white guy once and his mom was there (we were 16 and

he wasn't fully licenced so she had to be in the car LOL). He was trying to describe a classmate to me and I didn't know who he was talking about. He said "I know you
him. He's a big nigger--" then he stopped and stared at his mom and she was
scandalized. He also had a tendency to call his ex-girlfriend a "dirty spic". And he
had two friends named Mike (one white and one black). To differentiate between
them, they called one of them "Nigger Mike".

Not to be racist but that is why you shouldent date white men

Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit