Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Politically incorrect is euphemism for bigot

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?"
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:57:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?"

I'm far from politically correct. Does that make me a bigot?

Political correctness is a modern form of politeness that some in society value and others don't. Because mainstream society thinks PC is polite, when you aren't PC you get punished in a similar manner to picking your nose in public.

Bigots will not be PC, but PC by no stretch of the imagination implies bigotry. Bigots, unsurprisingly, complain about PC and use "anti-PC" talk to mask bigotry.
Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 11:53:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Defenders of racial profiling are racists, whether they're politically correct about it or not and whether they say outright, "That colored fellow looks suspicious" or "Statistics indicate that that African-American gentleman is likely to be involved in illegal activity.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:29:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Most people are bigots. All you have to do is grow your hair long, get real smelly, and look as ugly as possible.

The people who don't treat you like sh!t will then inform you of every bigotry that they have.

I don't like politcal correctness. I prefer honesty. I have more respect for someone who openly discriminates than someone who discriminates silently. I hate it when people seriously try to feed me bullsh!t.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:37:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Shouldn't we take care not to offend people?
No.

By the way, calling people bigots is bound to offend someone. Political correctness therefore is hypocrisy.

To be "Politically correct" is to determine what one will say not on the basis of whether it is true, but whether it will offend certain privileged groups.

Not being politically correct does not require you to be racist, but it does require that you not silence yourself when you find yourself about to speak a truth that someone will interpret as racist. Racism would be criticizing Barack Obama because black, the doctrine of political correctness declares that all criticism of Barack Obama is suspected to be for the reason that he is black, and thus must be silenced. This is, incidentally, racist-- political correctness requires racism, you see.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:41:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Political correctness will always be there, because lets face it.. You can't talk to your grandmother the same way you talk to your best friend and expect the same result.

Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, we all practice political correctness.

That said, I find taking offense to be horribly uncivilized, and it offends the hell out of me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:55:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 12:41:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Political correctness will always be there, because lets face it.. You can't talk to your grandmother the same way you talk to your best friend and expect the same result.

Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, we all practice political correctness.

That said, I find taking offense to be horribly uncivilized, and it offends the hell out of me.

Political correctness was general invention of our society starting in the late 70s. That's why All in the Family could exist.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 12:57:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 12:41:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Political correctness will always be there, because lets face it.. You can't talk to your grandmother the same way you talk to your best friend and expect the same result.
That's not political, that's personal.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 1:05:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 12:57:29 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 8/22/2011 12:41:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Political correctness will always be there, because lets face it.. You can't talk to your grandmother the same way you talk to your best friend and expect the same result.
That's not political, that's personal.

It's all part of the same thing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:11:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 12:37:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Shouldn't we take care not to offend people?
No.

By the way, calling people bigots is bound to offend someone. Political correctness therefore is hypocrisy.

Yes if you believe political correctness is about protecting everyone, which it isn't. It just realigns the bigotry; by saying it's now okay to hate a white republican male, is only hypocrisy if you are looking to wipe out hate - but it isn't true that they are looking to wipe out hate, it is hypocrisy when they say they are.

To be "Politically correct" is to determine what one will say not on the basis of whether it is true, but whether it will offend certain privileged groups.

Not being politically correct does not require you to be racist, but it does require that you not silence yourself when you find yourself about to speak a truth that someone will interpret as racist. Racism would be criticizing Barack Obama because black, the doctrine of political correctness declares that all criticism of Barack Obama is suspected to be for the reason that he is black, and thus must be silenced. This is, incidentally, racist-- political correctness requires racism, you see.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?
curious18
Posts: 98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 8:16:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

That totally depends why you think he's not very smart. If you only say that you think he's stupid, and give no why, then you leave that why up in the air for others to guess at. Than can you blame them for guessing wrong?
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 11:45:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?"

How dare you! They're not 'bigots', they're 'outspoken social conservatives'.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:05:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 11:45:55 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?"

How dare you! They're not 'bigots', they're 'outspoken social conservatives'.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that many bigots say racist things, and when someone calls them out on it, they accuse that person of being "politically correct."
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:10:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

I am talking more about people who use political correctness to justify racism. For example, airport security in the United States isn't allowed to discriminate against race. But a lot of conservative journalists, reporters and bloggers pretty much say "why is America being so PC, muslims are terrorists, it is just common sense. Lets just check the muslims and stop being so politically correct."

In that situation, wouldn't it be fairer to check randomly regardless of religion/ethnicity and be, in those reporter's terms "Politically correct." I don't remember who said it since it was a while ago but it seems fairly common for conservative news articles to say stuff like that.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:21:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:10:53 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

I am talking more about people who use political correctness to justify racism. For example, airport security in the United States isn't allowed to discriminate against race. But a lot of conservative journalists, reporters and bloggers pretty much say "why is America being so PC, muslims are terrorists, it is just common sense. Lets just check the muslims and stop being so politically correct."

In that situation, wouldn't it be fairer to check randomly regardless of religion/ethnicity and be, in those reporter's terms "Politically correct." I don't remember who said it since it was a while ago but it seems fairly common for conservative news articles to say stuff like that.

They do it randomly to satisfy political correctness. They search a white 96 Y.O. lady with a catherter, while letting a 22 year old guy in muslim garb walk through no problem. Sometimes common sense should prevail.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:24:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:05:51 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 11:45:55 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?"

How dare you! They're not 'bigots', they're 'outspoken social conservatives'.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that many bigots say racist things, and when someone calls them out on it, they accuse that person of being "politically correct."

I know, I was only kidding...I agree with you, although I do use politically incorrect language in satirical contexts myself.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:26:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 8:16:01 AM, curious18 wrote:
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

That totally depends why you think he's not very smart. If you only say that you think he's stupid, and give no why, then you leave that why up in the air for others to guess at. Than can you blame them for guessing wrong?

No no, you see you're falling into it. Wouldn't it be great if i could say that and there was no suspicion that i am a racist? If you called president Bush 'not very smart', you aren't thought of as a racist right? So wouldn't it be best if we lived in a world where we were all on an equal footing and not have the automatic assumption of racism when you say something like that? Or if you call some one black very smart as if it's a special occasion, wouldn't it be best if it were as normal as calling a white person very smart? Of course if you call an Asian very smart it's already implied.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:33:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:21:53 PM, innomen wrote:
They do it randomly to satisfy political correctness. They search a white 96 Y.O. lady with a catherter, while letting a 22 year old guy in muslim garb walk through no problem. Sometimes common sense should prevail.

But how is fair to not check white ladies but only check someone in muslim clothing? I am not advocating letting the muslim guy walk free due to fear of being accused of racism. I'm only saying they should have an equal probability of being checked with no importance given to race or sex at all.
curious18
Posts: 98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 2:57:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:26:38 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/22/2011 8:16:01 AM, curious18 wrote:
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

That totally depends why you think he's not very smart. If you only say that you think he's stupid, and give no why, then you leave that why up in the air for others to guess at. Than can you blame them for guessing wrong?

No no, you see you're falling into it. Wouldn't it be great if i could say that and there was no suspicion that i am a racist? If you called president Bush 'not very smart', you aren't thought of as a racist right? So wouldn't it be best if we lived in a world where we were all on an equal footing and not have the automatic assumption of racism when you say something like that? Or if you call some one black very smart as if it's a special occasion, wouldn't it be best if it were as normal as calling a white person very smart? Of course if you call an Asian very smart it's already implied.

It would be better if you'd just justify your reason. Like if someone said Bush wasn't smart, that they should have to justify it, or anyone else. If you want to be able to say "Obama is a total idiot and I don't have to justify it" then I should be able to say "you are a racist and I don't have to justify it." I'd say it is better if everyone would just explain their stuff.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:30:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:57:57 PM, curious18 wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:26:38 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/22/2011 8:16:01 AM, curious18 wrote:
At 8/22/2011 3:15:49 AM, innomen wrote:
Wouldn't we be a less racist society if i were allowed to say that i believe Obama to be not very smart without being immediately labeled a racist? That i would be permitted to speak the truth, or what i believe to be the truth, without fear of having my opinion dismissed, and my person being unfairly labled because of my conclusion?

That totally depends why you think he's not very smart. If you only say that you think he's stupid, and give no why, then you leave that why up in the air for others to guess at. Than can you blame them for guessing wrong?

No no, you see you're falling into it. Wouldn't it be great if i could say that and there was no suspicion that i am a racist? If you called president Bush 'not very smart', you aren't thought of as a racist right? So wouldn't it be best if we lived in a world where we were all on an equal footing and not have the automatic assumption of racism when you say something like that? Or if you call some one black very smart as if it's a special occasion, wouldn't it be best if it were as normal as calling a white person very smart? Of course if you call an Asian very smart it's already implied.

It would be better if you'd just justify your reason. Like if someone said Bush wasn't smart, that they should have to justify it, or anyone else. If you want to be able to say "Obama is a total idiot and I don't have to justify it" then I should be able to say "you are a racist and I don't have to justify it." I'd say it is better if everyone would just explain their stuff.

You're missing my point though. It would be nice if someone were to justify it, but my point is that if they don't justify it in the case of Obama, they are assumed to be a racist, and there is a greater need for that person to justify their reason than if it were Bush.

There is much of the PC movement that is just like the McCarthy era of assumed guilt, and people being paranoid for the ultimate charge of being accused a racist.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:33:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:33:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
But how is fair to not check white ladies but only check someone in muslim clothing? I am not advocating letting the muslim guy walk free due to fear of being accused of racism. I'm only saying they should have an equal probability of being checked with no importance given to race or sex at all.

It isn't fair, but it's only logical to check young muslim males over elderly ladies since most terrorists happen to be young muslim males. One demographic is more likely to be trouble based on their gender, age, and beliefs and don't have a fair chance of posing a threat.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 3:47:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 2:33:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:21:53 PM, innomen wrote:
They do it randomly to satisfy political correctness. They search a white 96 Y.O. lady with a catherter, while letting a 22 year old guy in muslim garb walk through no problem. Sometimes common sense should prevail.

But how is fair to not check white ladies but only check someone in muslim clothing? I am not advocating letting the muslim guy walk free due to fear of being accused of racism. I'm only saying they should have an equal probability of being checked with no importance given to race or sex at all.

Because common sense should play some part in this. There is just a greater probability of the young male muslim being a terrorist than an old white lady.

If you're out at night walking down a dark street in a dangerous with no one around but a bunch of seemingly young hispanic men with hoodies walking toward you, or 4-5, 80 year old ladies walking toward you who would you feel the greatest threat from. Honestly you know the answer, and whether or not that's a component of racism, but because of probability that we know to be true.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:00:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 3:47:21 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:33:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:21:53 PM, innomen wrote:
They do it randomly to satisfy political correctness. They search a white 96 Y.O. lady with a catherter, while letting a 22 year old guy in muslim garb walk through no problem. Sometimes common sense should prevail.

But how is fair to not check white ladies but only check someone in muslim clothing? I am not advocating letting the muslim guy walk free due to fear of being accused of racism. I'm only saying they should have an equal probability of being checked with no importance given to race or sex at all.

Because common sense should play some part in this. There is just a greater probability of the young male muslim being a terrorist than an old white lady.

If you're out at night walking down a dark street in a dangerous with no one around but a bunch of seemingly young hispanic men with hoodies walking toward you, or 4-5, 80 year old ladies walking toward you who would you feel the greatest threat from. Honestly you know the answer, and whether or not that's a component of racism, but because of probability that we know to be true.

But, shouldn't innocent young muslim males be able to walk about freely in an airport just as an old white lady would without fear of discrimination? Just because, people that look like them committed terrorist acts doesn't mean that they should be searched or be kept an eye on, any more than the old white ladies. Airport security would actually be infringing on their rights if they suspect those muslim males just because they are young muslim males. This especially holds true if they are US citizens since all US citizens are entitled to equal rights.

Regarding your question, I would feel more threatened by the young men not because they are Hispanic but because they are stronger.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:10:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 4:00:56 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 3:47:21 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:33:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 8/22/2011 2:21:53 PM, innomen wrote:
They do it randomly to satisfy political correctness. They search a white 96 Y.O. lady with a catherter, while letting a 22 year old guy in muslim garb walk through no problem. Sometimes common sense should prevail.

But how is fair to not check white ladies but only check someone in muslim clothing? I am not advocating letting the muslim guy walk free due to fear of being accused of racism. I'm only saying they should have an equal probability of being checked with no importance given to race or sex at all.

Because common sense should play some part in this. There is just a greater probability of the young male muslim being a terrorist than an old white lady.

If you're out at night walking down a dark street in a dangerous with no one around but a bunch of seemingly young hispanic men with hoodies walking toward you, or 4-5, 80 year old ladies walking toward you who would you feel the greatest threat from. Honestly you know the answer, and whether or not that's a component of racism, but because of probability that we know to be true.

But, shouldn't innocent young muslim males be able to walk about freely in an airport just as an old white lady would without fear of discrimination? Just because, people that look like them committed terrorist acts doesn't mean that they should be searched or be kept an eye on, any more than the old white ladies. Airport security would actually be infringing on their rights if they suspect those muslim males just because they are young muslim males. This especially holds true if they are US citizens since all US citizens are entitled to equal rights.

Yes they "should", just like people should be able to work in a tower in New York city without having the threat of an airplane hitting it. They "should".

Regarding your question, I would feel more threatened by the young men not because they are Hispanic but because they are stronger.
So if the 80 year old women had greater strength you'd feel equally threatened? I think you're not being honest with yourself.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:32:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/21/2011 9:55:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why do some people call others "politically correct" when those other people stick up for themselves against racist, sexist people? I've never actually heard it in real life but I've seen it a lot in news, media, and the internet. Stuff like "America's gotten so politically correct they can't check Arabs at airports without being called racists" and "we are so PC we can't say that a black person looks like a criminal" etc. Of course, there is also a segment of the conservative population who are proud to be "politically INcorrect" and isn't afraid of offending someone. Why is being PC a bad thing? Shouldn't we take care not to offend people? Can't people say "I'm PC and proud of it because I respect all kinds of people and am not a bigot?":

When they say someone is being PC, they are saying that are being overly sympathetic to the point of losing sight of the big picture. As well, some people sacrifice freedom for the sake of political correctness. I don't like bigotry either, but I'm not going to censor people at the expense of freedom.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 4:42:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
But, shouldn't innocent young muslim males be able to walk about freely in an airport just as an old white lady would without fear of discrimination?:

There is no policy to discriminate against young Muslim men, so it's irrelevant. He's just saying that we all profile to degree (i.e. walking down an alley analogy). Would you be more likely to be on the defensive if a gaggle of 80 year old women were walking in an alley or a gaggle of young men? Does that necessarily make you a racist or a sexist?

If a prerequisite for being PC is pretending trends don't exist, then I guess I'm not PC.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2011 9:31:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/22/2011 4:42:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
But, shouldn't innocent young muslim males be able to walk about freely in an airport just as an old white lady would without fear of discrimination?:

There is no policy to discriminate against young Muslim men, so it's irrelevant. He's just saying that we all profile to degree (i.e. walking down an alley analogy). Would you be more likely to be on the defensive if a gaggle of 80 year old women were walking in an alley or a gaggle of young men? Does that necessarily make you a racist or a sexist?

If a prerequisite for being PC is pretending trends don't exist, then I guess I'm not PC.

I think the alley example is a little different because Political Correctness is usually more based on race/ethnicity than it is on age. Race is the big issue.

As for the discrimination, I would be more vary of young white males than I would of old arab/muslim females. The main issue in that example isn't race at all but age and maybe gender.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 12:01:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/21/2011 11:53:31 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Defenders of racial profiling are racists

really?

lets say a crime occurs and witnesses describe a black male with such and such characteristics as the perpetrator. should police not look specifically for black people when searching for the criminal? to do so would be racial profiling...

its entirely possible to do racial profiling without being a racist. you don't have to assume every person of color is a criminal (which i assume is what you are against) but if you know that statistically speaking a certain group has a higher rate of crime, its just stupid to NOT racially profile (in the sense of scrutinizing such people more closely) in order to prevent more crime. we can argue about what the limits of such scrutiny should be (violating constitutional rights is a good place to stop for example) but to put a blanket ban on it seems to me to indicate a knee jerk reaction against it, devoid of clear thinking on the issue.

as a parallel example, many stores limit the number of teenagers they allow inside at any one time, because teenagers tend to shoplift more, especially when they are in large packs. should it be illegal to watch teenagers more closely in stores, or limit how many of them come in the store at one time? should those owners have to suffer higher rates of shoplifting because it would be wrong to more carefully watch such individuals? i think not.

people for some reason continually equate racial profiling with assuming everyone of x race must be a criminal, when its not much like that at all. just like many things, its bad in the extreme, but helpful in a controlled amount.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...