Jump to topic:

RIP Kavorkian?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 7:57:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Although this happened a while ago, I felt like posting it now.

As you may or may not know, Dr. Jack Kavorkian, the man famous for bringing physician assisted suicide to the forefront of debate a while back, having assisted at least 130 people in suicide himself, and having gone to jail for 10 years for 2nd degree murder, died on June 3rd, 2011.

So, what did you think of he man?

I personally find him to be a hero of the medical community, and of the community at large. Even though some believe he was a monster, he has my utmost respect.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:13:58 PM
Did patients ask him too kill them or did he take it upon himself to off them? I don't really know anything about him and I'm too lazy to Wikipedia it.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2011 8:20:50 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:13:58 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
Did patients ask him too kill them or did he take it upon himself to off them? I don't really know anything about him and I'm too lazy to Wikipedia it.

They would apply for him to assist them. He would then conduct interviews to determine if their case was justified/they were mentally sound (he rejected those who were depressed without any serious physical conditon). Then, he would (at least in his later years) use a gas (I believe it was CO or CO2), hook it up to their face w/ a mask, and then the patient would turn the valve which turned on the gas themselves.

The only time he ever directly caused a patient's death was his last one (the patient did still apply), where he injected the syringe directly. He did it then so he could make PAS completely public, and allow him to speak in court for it. Unfortunately, he as convicted of 2nd degree murder and went to jail for 10 years (released in 2008/9). He continued advocating right-to-death until he died this year.

Did that help? Cuz that was the abridged version.

Tim_Spin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:57:18 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:20:50 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

They would apply for him to assist them. He would then conduct interviews to determine if their case was justified/they were mentally sound (he rejected those who were depressed without any serious physical conditon). Then, he would (at least in his later years) use a gas (I believe it was CO or CO2), hook it up to their face w/ a mask, and then the patient would turn the valve which turned on the gas themselves.

The only time he ever directly caused a patient's death was his last one (the patient did still apply), where he injected the syringe directly. He did it then so he could make PAS completely public, and allow him to speak in court for it. Unfortunately, he as convicted of 2nd degree murder and went to jail for 10 years (released in 2008/9). He continued advocating right-to-death until he died this year.

If that is all true then I don't understand how he can be considered a monster at all. People seem to be such pvssies when it comes to something controversial don't they?
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 3:58:39 PM
At 8/23/2011 8:07:07 PM, Lasagna wrote:
We should honor him with a DDO mass-suicide. I vote that inferno starts us off.:

Agreed. Leads us by example!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:10:21 PM

I don't think that if he took it upon himself to just go around offing people against their will, there would be much controversy.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:27:55 PM
If that is all true then I don't understand how he can be considered a monster at all. People seem to be such pvssies when it comes to something controversial don't they?:

The objectors to his actions cite that it "desensitizes" people to death which, in case they forgot, has 100% success rate. FACT: Everybody is either dead, and will die, 100% of the time. They believe it leads to the slippery slope of accepting forced euthanasia with no credible evidence to support it.

Of course, these are the same people who love to control what other people do with their bodies, so go figure that they'd cry about this.

I also find it amusing that they'd have no compunction in putting down a lame animal to ease its suffering, but when it comes to human beings, they apparently want to prolong the inevitable in agony to make a pointless philosophical argument.

I think Oregon's "Death with Dignity" law is a very fair and balanced way to do it, and I think it will serve as the model for future generations.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:49:00 PM

Sounds like a hero to me.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 4:53:14 PM
At 8/24/2011 4:49:00 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Sounds like a hero to me.

If you're at all interested, you may want to go and look at his life himself, because I'll be honest when I say that my summary isn't the most objective.

BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:48:13 PM
He's a hypocrite, he died of natural causes.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:53:14 PM
At 8/24/2011 5:48:13 PM, BennyW wrote:

lol
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 5:58:48 PM
At 8/24/2011 5:48:13 PM, BennyW wrote:

Now Robert Ettinger, founder or cryonics, on the other hand: http://boingboing.net...
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2011 7:09:49 PM

The bold part makes him a hero.