Jump to topic:

Teotihuacan

Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:08:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would like to here some thoughts about this ancient city and it's "Great Pyramid of the Sun".

http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:13:00 PM
'Teotihuacan' appears to be a beautiful city, in terms of culture and design. According to the articles you provided, Lionheart, the city is the site of worship to deities such as the 'Feathered Serpent', and deities associated with fertility (the rain god), as well.

It was specifically designed, I believe, according to the Aztec cosmological beliefs. In addition, murals and avenues, one of which is dedicated to the dead, are abound in it, as well as a certain air of mystery (historians still contend on the origin of the city) and fascination.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:42:23 PM
At 8/26/2011 5:13:00 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
'Teotihuacan' appears to be a beautiful city, in terms of culture and design. According to the articles you provided, Lionheart, the city is the site of worship to deities such as the 'Feathered Serpent', and deities associated with fertility (the rain god), as well.

It was specifically designed, I believe, according to the Aztec cosmological beliefs. In addition, murals and avenues, one of which is dedicated to the dead, are abound in it, as well as a certain air of mystery (historians still contend on the origin of the city) and fascination.

It is a mysterious place and I do find it fascinating. It is said that the Olmec are the mother civilization of Meso-America. Do you think it probable that the Olmec built the city? I think it probable that such this city and other sites, could give a broader vision of the who the Olmec were as a civilization. It said that t Olmec population of the area dropped roughly around 400-350 BCE, oddly enough within the next few hundred years many large scale sites are built. It could have been a time of advancement in the civilization, instead of decline. An advancement that brought cities and temples, not unlike the quick advancement and change of cities seen in the modern era.

I find the whole subject very interesting.

- Lionheart -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:18:42 PM
Okay I'm not gonna lie, that city looks like crap (aesthetically) compared to most major modern cities.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:20:20 PM
At 8/26/2011 7:18:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
Okay I'm not gonna lie, that city looks like crap (aesthetically) compared to most major modern cities.

I hope that was a joke....
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:22:32 PM
At 8/26/2011 7:20:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

No it wasn't. Why would it be? Ancient civilizations don't appeal to me. Is that a crime?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:25:44 PM
At 8/26/2011 7:22:32 PM, 000ike wrote:

No it wasn't. Why would it be? Ancient civilizations don't appeal to me. Is that a crime?

No, of course not--they don't appeal to me either. What I meant was that I think it's stating the OBVIOUS by saying that modern cities are better aesthetically.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:30:22 PM
At 8/26/2011 7:25:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 8/26/2011 7:22:32 PM, 000ike wrote:

No, of course not--they don't appeal to me either. What I meant was that I think it's stating the OBVIOUS by saying that modern cities are better aesthetically.

Well its not obvious since beauty is subjective. Someone before us, I think, called it a beautiful city or something. It was my impression that everyone was commenting on the nonexistent beauty of the city, that's why I said it looked like crap. lol
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:45:44 PM
I don't think anyone has said the city is beautiful, yet I will say it now.

The city is indeed beautiful and in my opinion much more majestic. I would like to see a modern city taken over by mother earth for over 2000 years and see what it looks like. A modern city wouldn't even last 2000 years, it would oxidize and structurally fall apart. Ancient cities are a splendor unto themselves. One must wonder what they looked like freshly built and populated by thousands of people. The city at one time must have been filled with art and culture which can now only be seen with the imagination.

I personally would have much rather lived in that city than a modern city, and I do find it much more beautiful.

- Lionheart -
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 7:47:42 PM
At 8/26/2011 5:13:00 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I take back what I said in my previous post. I was wrong, someone did call it beautiful before I did.

It is beautiful by culture and design... I agree.

- Lionheart -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 8:00:10 PM
At 8/26/2011 7:47:42 PM, Lionheart wrote:
It is beautiful by culture and design... I agree

Even by culture and design I still find that city ugly beyond compare. The only ancient civilizations that had beautiful buildings are the Japanese and Chinese. http://itravelmags.com... Much better than the OP's Spanish dust bowl (im kidding :p)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 8:09:33 PM
At 8/26/2011 8:00:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

Even by culture and design I still find that city ugly beyond compare.
Lionheart meant by its adherence to its own culture (i.e. being based on beliefs and precepts of Aztec culture)...but I can empthasize with that statement of yours.

The only ancient civilizations that had beautiful buildings are the Japanese and Chinese. http://itravelmags.com... Much better than the OP's Spanish dust bowl (im kidding :p)

Yes, though you do have to admit that other civilizations were marked by interesting architectural notions. Traditional Chinese architecture has emphasized a bilateral symmetry in its courtyards and plains, along with an adherence to cosmological and religious beliefs, whilst, say, Greek architecture is noted for its columns and pillars, and so on.

Yes, beauty is subjective, but I tend to regard any architecture (which did not have the benefit of modernist art theories, sophisticated considerations of 'beauty', or even modern technology) as beautiful if it is deeply rooted in culture and in custom.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 8:13:10 PM
At 8/26/2011 8:00:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

Even by culture and design I still find that city ugly beyond compare. The only ancient civilizations that had beautiful buildings are the Japanese and Chinese. http://itravelmags.com... Much better than the OP's Spanish dust bowl (im kidding :p)

I find a lot of ancient cities beautiful, including the Asian ones. A modern city couldn't even last very long. Modern cities need constant repair just to keep the structurally solid. I doubt a modern city would last even 500 years without maintenance.

Goes to show you that we can still learn some things from ancient civilizations.

- Lionheart -
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 3:48:13 PM
At 8/26/2011 9:15:17 PM, Lasagna wrote:
ike's pissed off there isn't a starbucks

Hahaha... and I think that's one of the problems of people's mentality in general. There is no reason that something similar to a coffee house or beverage drinking area couldn't exist in a culture that is in harmony with the earth. That goes for other concepts as well. Human civilization needs to redesign itself and rethink what it's vision is for the future. At the pace we are at.. We will destroy most of the intelligent life on earth within a couple hundred more years. If not much sooner.

- Lionheart -
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 3:49:34 PM
Currently nobody really knows who built the city. Does anybody think it could have been the Olmec? I do.

- Lionheart -
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 8:12:33 PM
Imagine how beautiful modern cities would look if builders equally combined sustainability, beauty, majesty, purpose, and function. We would have beautifully designed cities which meet all of our modern needs of function and purpose, yet become something of beauty and majesty to be immersed in and enjoy. Have we lost our artistic flare of design in the modern era? When I drive down the highway and see nothing but rust on everything, garbage, factories, etc. It makes me wonder how we lost the importance of environmental beauty in modern civilization. It's an after thought at best, nonexistent at worst.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."