Jump to topic:

Native American Culture

Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:25:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Let's talk about Native American culture.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:38:07 PM
1. Raped and destroyed by colonial and expansionist America.

2. Not that special, highly overrated

3. Doesn't appeal to me.

Drugs are way too much a past of that culture.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 9:38:45 PM
At 8/26/2011 9:38:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
1. Raped and destroyed by colonial and expansionist America.

2. Not that special, highly overrated

3. Doesn't appeal to me.

Drugs are way too much a part of that culture.

fixed.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:26:04 PM
At 8/26/2011 9:25:06 PM, Lionheart wrote:
Let's talk about Native American culture.

Egh, its not as primitive and stupid as the African culture is/was, but its still preety bad. Cutting off the scalps of certain "enemies" during raids seems very barbariac from my point of view.

The primitive European Culture is without doupt the best there ever was/is.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:28:46 PM
OK, we've successfully demonstrated the extent of ignorance that middle-American whites have about it... That's a good start I suppose.
Rob
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:32:52 PM
I personally feel it was wrong how we destroyed the Native Americans and took there land. In my opinion they should still have a large chunk of this land as their own separate country. Instead they are forced onto American reservations and told how to live. We birthed our country calling it the land of the free, yet we stole it from people who were already here, killed them, then mocked them as being little more than savage animals.

- Lionheart -
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:38:09 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:32:52 PM, Lionheart wrote:
I personally feel it was wrong how we destroyed the Native Americans and took there land. In my opinion they should still have a large chunk of this land as their own separate country. Instead they are forced onto American reservations and told how to live. We birthed our country calling it the land of the free, yet we stole it from people who were already here, killed them, then mocked them as being little more than savage animals.

And what about the Africans and Irishmen who built this country with their labor but were persecuted for it, what do they get?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:38:31 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:32:52 PM, Lionheart wrote:

you see now, when you put it like that, you make it seem like the whole country and the whole government was for such actions when that isn't true.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:39:04 PM
I don't even think its fair to call "Native Americans", truly "Native" Americans. The colonials were the true "Native" Americans because they were here in much greater abundance after the Revolutionary War. "Native Americans" may have been on the slap of land that we all now call America first, but since it wasn't officially labled as America until after the Revolutionary War, they can't really be accuretely labled as "Native" Americans.

Another thing that intrigues me...the colonials and/or White Europeans and/or people of European descent that were living in the slap of land that we now call the U.S. (before the Revolutionary War) were constantly at war with the "Native Americans". I also believe that we were at war with the "Native Americans" after the Revolutionary War occured, so since they were an enemy to America during that time period, they can't be labled as Native Americans.

So even if a "Native American" was born on the land before and/or after the Revolutionary War, he still can't be counted as a citizen since we were at war with them well after the Revolutionary War. Although such thoughts in today's world are considered nonsense, it is only because of political correctness that you don't hear these views.
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:41:46 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:28:46 PM, Lasagna wrote:
OK, we've successfully demonstrated the extent of ignorance that middle-American whites have about it... That's a good start I suppose.

I agree with your feelings. What they have shown is the same attitude of the white man that killed the Native Americans off in the first place, even though they lived here for thousands of years without damaging the land or bring species to the point of extinction. The Native Americans are the ones that helped the white man learn how to live on this land, yet they were rewarded with death and war. They may have had wars among their tribes, but they never committed genocide. Most people think that they understand Native American culture and there is nothing much to it, but they would be ignorant in thinking that way. The Native American culture was filled with life, beauty, and wisdom.

- Lionheart -
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:42:21 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:39:04 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
I don't even think its fair to call "Native Americans", truly "Native" Americans. The colonials were the true "Native" Americans because they were here in much greater abundance after the Revolutionary War. "Native Americans" may have been on the slap of land that we all now call America first, but since it wasn't officially labled as America until after the Revolutionary War, they can't really be accuretely labled as "Native" Americans.

Another thing that intrigues me...the colonials and/or White Europeans and/or people of European descent that were living in the slap of land that we now call the U.S. (before the Revolutionary War) were constantly at war with the "Native Americans". I also believe that we were at war with the "Native Americans" after the Revolutionary War occured, so since they were an enemy to America during that time period, they can't be labled as Native Americans.

So even if a "Native American" was born on the land before and/or after the Revolutionary War, he still can't be counted as a citizen since we were at war with them well after the Revolutionary War. Although such thoughts in today's world are considered nonsense, it is only because of political correctness that you don't hear these views.

So humans aren't earthlings because when we came into existence we didn't refer to this planet as earth?
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:42:47 PM

America like the Continent you Moron-face.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:43:57 PM
Yeah get used to it, dude. That's how countries are formed and maintained - force. There's absolutely nothing "free" about America or its capitalist economic system. We are a country of property rights, which have to be backed by police force.
Rob
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:44:16 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:42:21 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

So humans aren't earthlings because when we came into existence we didn't refer to this planet as earth?

One could look at it from that perspective.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:45:34 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:42:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

And so you resort to personal attacks. I see. Well, I certainly see your intellect whenever you try to respond to certain situations.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:45:46 PM

They're called Native Americans because America is the name used to describe the location they are native to.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:45:53 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:44:16 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:

Well then this would also mean that Asians aren't Asians, Europeans aren't Europeans, Africans aren't Africans, Australians aren't Australians, and so forth.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:47:28 PM

Call it what you want to. They were still the people who were native to this land before the Europeans came. This land is now called America, so they were the Natives of America. Native Americans. Your semantic views have no purpose in this thread, this thread is about the people, not the label.

- Lionheart -
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:48:18 PM
@Joseph Mengele, are you actually a Nazi, or do just pretend to be one just for fun when you are online? (I have nothing against anyone who pretends to be Nazis, I think it is interesting and fun). I am just asking out of curiosity. Being a Nazi is not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing.

Regarding the Native American argument, it doesn't make sense that colonials were "native americans," as when they came here, people were already living here.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:48:24 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:45:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Well then this would also mean that Asians aren't Asians, Europeans aren't Europeans, Africans aren't Africans, Australians aren't Australians, and so forth.

Like I said before, yes. One could look at it from that perspective. I usually apply those terms to identify certain groups of people easier however.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:48:26 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:43:57 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Yeah get used to it, dude. That's how countries are formed and maintained - force. There's absolutely nothing "free" about America or its capitalist economic system. We are a country of property rights, which have to be backed by police force.

obviously you don't understand the difference nor balance between freedom and order. America is free indeed, that's why you can be on the internet and criticize her in the first place. Not every country has that.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:48:40 PM
How many Native Americans occupied the land that makes up the entire U.S. excluding New England before Westward expansion?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:49:42 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:45:34 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:42:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

And so you resort to personal attacks. I see. Well, I certainly see your intellect whenever you try to respond to certain situations.

no, I was answering you AND calling you a Moron-face for being such a ridiculous moron...

see.. the problem with people with a Schtick is that they ALWAYS see the world through colored glasses.. Every issue is filtered from their Schtick's perspective.. Even when it has NOTHING to do with it..

This is the problem with Racists, many fervent Anti-racists, Feminists, socialists, anthropology/sociology types.. and many more people with schticks.

Clearly "Native American" refers to them being on the Continent of America previous to the bulk of European settlers.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:50:18 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:48:40 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
How many Native Americans occupied the land that makes up the entire U.S. excluding New England before Westward expansion?

I don't study "Native American" history, so perhaps you would be be so kind as to show me?

I strictly study European history, also the Confederate States of America in regards to learning and/or studying history.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:50:45 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:48:24 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:45:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Like I said before, yes. One could look at it from that perspective. I usually apply those terms to identify certain groups of people easier however.

OK, seems like an irrational way to look at things but OK.
Minister Of Trolling
:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:50:52 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:49:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Clearly "Native American" refers to them being on the Continent of America previous to the bulk of European settlers.

you're a moron-face b/c you have to have your schtick factor into Everything.. Even things where it is clearly not even in the right category...

Metaphysics:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:53:45 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:50:18 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:

I don't study "Native American" history, so perhaps you would be be so kind as to show me?

I strictly study European history, also the Confederate States of America in regards to learning and/or studying history.

They aren't Europeans because when they came there they did not refer to it as Europe, and which CSA are you talking about, the first Union we had between the 13 Colonies or that stupid confederacy that resulted from unjust succession?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:54:22 PM

That's wrong on so many levels... First off, if you're going to get technical, then we are all "native Americans." We are native to America... where else would we be native to? :P

But in a deeper sense, you are espousing some pretty ethically-problematic views here. You obviously just count them as rodents that needed to be cleaned up so we could install a civilized society. American Indians could have used some technological development, granted, but they had a lot in terms of freedom and sustainability that we could use right now. They weren't driving our country into an environmental hole like we are doing now.

Yeah it was war... we came in and stripped them of everything they had, by force, and converted them to property-owning Christians.

Blacks weren't full citizens until a about a hundred years ago... I guess they don't have the right to be called Americans until that part of history either because they don't deserve it.
Rob
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:54:53 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:50:18 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:

No I honestly don't know. I'm know it was much less than the amount of people that lived in area that was called the U.S. at the time due to the widespread diseas but I don't have very accurate numbers.

The thing I find ridiculous is that a handful of Native Americans claimed over half of the territory that makes up the modern U.S. on no other basis than the fact that their ancestors lived there.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 11:12:49 PM
At 8/26/2011 10:41:46 PM, Lionheart wrote:
At 8/26/2011 10:28:46 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I agree with your feelings. What they have shown is the same attitude of the white man that killed the Native Americans off in the first place, even though they lived here for thousands of years without damaging the land or bring species to the point of extinction. The Native Americans are the ones that helped the white man learn how to live on this land, yet they were rewarded with death and war. They may have had wars among their tribes, but they never committed genocide. Most people think that they understand Native American culture and there is nothing much to it, but they would be ignorant in thinking that way. The Native American culture was filled with life, beauty, and wisdom.

There are many Native Americans who are angry with the way their culture has been treated. I think they and blacks have reason to be angry. Look at black culture nowadays; it is bent around property rights like that's all that matters. It's the single most property-obsessed culture that I know of. Rims, gold chains, cell phones, SUVs... their culture is tainted like the devil himself has single-handedly taken over as King. The same thing is happening to the Mexicans and American Indians. We are all becoming this "f*ck you, give me my money" type of people.

Native Americans around here have reservations they live on, and they receive "per-cap" checks. Everybody hates them because of it, and they hold resentment towards whites that go onto the rez. They have these "Native Pride" bumper stickers... I wish I could converse with some of them on the nature of pride and watch their horrified faces as I explain to them that I consider pride the cardinal sin, and that they might as well be putting "Native Lust" or "Native Greed" on those stickers in my eyes.

Some American Indians around here don't have to work because of the per-cap checks and they sit around and get fat on the rez. Some of them use the per-caps for beer and drugs and avoid working and become losers, which churns this deadly cycle of stereotyping and ignorance. Despite the bumper stickers, the American Indians aren't that proud around here and sometimes I wonder whether having a cellphone, a TV, and an automobile is worth what we have given them if compared to if we never showed up. Would some of them be warriors, hunters, or farmers? I look at my old friend Tony who is Native, and has so many half-brothers and sisters, as well as illegitimate children of his own, that he could never hope to account for all of them. I wonder what his life would be like if he grew up in a tribe instead of a broken home.
Rob