Jump to topic:

The Maya Civilization

Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 4:19:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is another one of my favorite topics. I would like to hear any thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Information Link: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 4:21:58 PM
I remember writing a history paper for the Mayan civilization once. I do remember reading that it had a host of rich customs, with a mythology recorded in the Popol Vuh ("a corpus of mytho-historical narratives of the Post Classic Quiché kingdom in Guatemala's western highlands"), an interesting social structure, and corpus of beliefs in medicine (which I remembered to be holistic), and so on.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 4:25:43 PM
I love history, but only between 1 A.D - now.

This old, dusty art bores me to tears.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lionheart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2011 5:00:53 PM
At 8/27/2011 4:21:58 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I remember writing a history paper for the Mayan civilization once. I do remember reading that it had a host of rich customs, with a mythology recorded in the Popol Vuh ("a corpus of mytho-historical narratives of the Post Classic Quiché kingdom in Guatemala's western highlands"), an interesting social structure, and corpus of beliefs in medicine (which I remembered to be holistic), and so on.

It's very interesting because the Olmec are said to be the first meso-american civilization, yet the name "Olmec" was given in mistake, but stuck, and their is evidence that shows an overlapping transition of Olmec and Maya. It is my belief that the Olmec have really always been the Maya and that the Maya may have history that goes back even farther than we think. For evidence to survive so many thousands of years is extraordinary in itself when you compare it to modern civilization, most of which would barely last any longer than 500 years if left to the earth elements unmaintained.
"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."

- Lionheart -