Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Should fatties pay for 2-3 seats on flights?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 2:23:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm surprised this topic has never been discussed or debated (unless I'm much mistaken, after all, I've only been here a month and it might have been discussed before) but this a widely debated topic.

Should fatties pay for extra seats at all? If so, should it be decided on weight or on width? How would the width of fatties be measured? When will it be decided that they are going to have to pay more, at home, at checkin or on the flight when it is obvious that they are not fitting?

Is it morally wrong to make them pay more? Would they find it embarrassing? If so, is it morally wrong to embarrass them?
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 2:53:07 PM
"I'm surprised this topic has never been discussed or debated (unless I'm much mistaken, after all, I've only been here a month and it might have been discussed before)"

Lol.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 3:02:14 PM
It depends. There ARE conditions that can bring about obesity--although that's a tired excuse, it is true in semi-rare cases. For instance, IgA Nephropathy is a kidney disease, the treatment for which is a regimen of prednisone, which causes severe body swelling.

So, I'd say that if there is some kind of doctor's note saying that the person's size is due to medical factors, then I think said person should not have to pay for a second seat.

However, in cases where obesity is caused soley by the person, then they should cough up he dough for the second seat.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 3:03:33 PM
If they exceed the size of the seat they need to purchase the one next to it, otherwise the airline will either unfairly sell a seat to a normal person who will be inconvenienced or have to leave the seat empty.

If they can afford to get that fat they can afford two tickets.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 3:09:31 PM
Absolutely, I'm not even so sure morbidly obese people should be flying to begin with. I've been on a couple flights where we've actually had to make emergency stops because some fat guy or girl was having heart problems, causing everyone else to arrive hours later than anticipated and missing their connecting flights.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 5:08:02 PM
At 9/5/2011 3:43:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes they should and people have made perfectly valid points in this thread as to why they should.

But what if you were a fatty? Would you be okay paying twice the price of a normal ticket everytime you fly?

What if you were a borderline fatty? You think you would fit but the seat belt just almost fits but not entirely. You draw in you stomach and tell the cabin crew that it fits. However, the flight attendant tells you that that is not the way it is supposed to be measured, asks you to stand up, pulls out a measuring tape, measures you and tells you that you are too fat to fly on their plane. You need two seats. What then.....?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 5:14:04 PM
http://www.debate.org...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:03:32 PM
At 9/5/2011 5:08:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/5/2011 3:43:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes they should and people have made perfectly valid points in this thread as to why they should.

But what if you were a fatty? Would you be okay paying twice the price of a normal ticket everytime you fly?

What if you were a borderline fatty? You think you would fit but the seat belt just almost fits but not entirely. You draw in you stomach and tell the cabin crew that it fits. However, the flight attendant tells you that that is not the way it is supposed to be measured, asks you to stand up, pulls out a measuring tape, measures you and tells you that you are too fat to fly on their plane. You need two seats. What then.....?

Sod them, they did it to themselves.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:23:12 PM
People should pay for the services received. Airlines in fact charge for two seas if people occupy two seats. Southwest refunds the extra if the flight turned out not to be full.

I calculated how much extra weight costs the airlines. It is about $15 per 100 pounds on a long flight. Space is much more expensive than weight. The reason why weight is not so important is that the aircraft is so heavy to start with.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:34:37 PM
At 9/5/2011 5:08:02 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Should everybody else be able to take up two seats when they don't need to? No. That is an issue for airlines who are trying to sell as many seats as they can and by just giving away seats for free they would lose half their profit thus wouldn't be able to provide the services that are available on planes.

Also, it's probably a weight issue as well; planes can only carry so much weight before they're no longer able to fly so it's only fair that somebody who weights more should have to pay for two seats.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 10:32:05 PM
At 9/5/2011 2:23:23 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'm surprised this topic has never been discussed or debated (unless I'm much mistaken, after all, I've only been here a month and it might have been discussed before)

BrianEggleston had a rather Enlightening debate on the matter 8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 7:11:36 AM
If they can afford to get that fat they can afford two tickets.:

Absolutely.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mafiagame1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 7:26:54 AM
At 9/5/2011 2:23:23 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'm surprised this topic has never been discussed or debated (unless I'm much mistaken

I know for certain brian has