Jump to topic:

Amer. English vs. Brit. English

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 5:47:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know its called "England" for a reason, but who in your opinion, speaks it better?

British People do not enunciate their ER's......say "better" with a british accent. If said anything other than "bettuh," you're doing it wrong.

Americans do not enunciate their T's.....say the word "british" with an American accent. If you said anything other than "bridish," you're doing it wrong.

So, really, who speaks it better, or rather, which do you prefer?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 5:57:38 PM
At 9/5/2011 5:47:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
I know its called "England" for a reason, but who in your opinion, speaks it better?

British People do not enunciate their ER's......say "better" with a british accent. If said anything other than "bettuh," you're doing it wrong.

Americans do not enunciate their T's.....say the word "british" with an American accent. If you said anything other than "bridish," you're doing it wrong.

I prefer British English.

And actually, that's a HUGE generalization you're making about British English. There are SOOOO many dialects of British English (which, by the way, is a language, not a manner of speech). For instance, Northern Irelanders DO pronounce ending -er's.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 5:58:12 PM

Definitely American. In my opinion, the Brit Accent sounds stuck up and snobby but that is just the way I see it.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:00:44 PM
At 9/5/2011 5:58:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Definitely American. In my opinion, the Brit Accent sounds stuck up and snobby but that is just the way I see it.

Oh, no--there are hundreds of dialects of the British English language.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:02:55 PM
At 9/5/2011 5:57:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

And actually, that's a HUGE generalization you're making about British English. There are SOOOO many dialects of British English (which, by the way, is a language, not a manner of speech). For instance, Northern Irelanders DO pronounce ending -er's.

Majority rules DN. There are many different kinds of American accents too, Southern, Jersey accent, New York accent etc. but the popular and majority accent is what we recognize. Same thing in Britain, most of them do not pronounce ERs.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:03:21 PM
I had a British girlfriend and her accent was awesome. Make of that what you will.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:05:59 PM

I'd prefer British English...I like the enunciation and pronunciation so common in the British dialects...The American dialects are rather blend, while the British dialects are colored by a certain tone or accent...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:06:30 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:02:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2011 5:57:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Majority rules DN. There are many different kinds of American accents too, Southern, Jersey accent, New York accent etc. but the popular and majority accent is what we recognize. Same thing in Britain, most of them do not pronounce ERs.

The only point that I'm trying to make is that what you're describing are accents, while Am Eng and Brit Eng are two different sub-languages, not just accents.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:07:34 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:05:59 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I'd prefer British English...I like the enunciation and pronunciation so common in the British dialects...The American dialects are rather blend, while the British dialects are colored by a certain tone or accent...

ahh, but thats what you think. For the rest of the world we are the ones with the certain tone or accent.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:11:06 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:07:34 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2011 6:05:59 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I'd prefer British English...I like the enunciation and pronunciation so common in the British dialects...The American dialects are rather bland, while the British dialects are colored by a certain tone or accent...

Fixed.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:14:00 PM

As someone with a British accent I can tell you that are talking nonsense.

All the best villains are posh English dudes.... that's all you need to know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:15:24 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:14:00 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I didn't realize that you were the representative of all Great Britain.

All the best villains are posh English dudes.... that's all you need to know.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:22:33 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:15:24 PM, 000ike wrote:

I didn't realize you, an American who does not live around British accents every day, were either.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:30:58 PM

No you are right, having a normal English accent and have spoken to merely thousands and thousands of English people I have no right to speak on this matter. Oh wait... yes I do.

Because that is what you mean when you say a British accent without qualifier, the default Queens English, English accent.

Muppet!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:33:30 PM
Linguists have well-established that there is no better or worse among languages in terms of their ability to convey information. It's only what you are used to.

British dialects can be incomprehensible. The people around Southampton, for example, are impossible for me to parse.

US Southern accents are less pronounced than they were years ago. Now it's rare to find someone in the deep South who cannot be understood by Northerners. But they still do exist.

The Japanese accent for the region around Kyoto is thought to be sort of rustic. So when anime is translated into English, Kyoto speakers are sometimes given an American Southern accent. Ramen y'all?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:41:16 PM
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:43:06 PM
Considering ENGlish is from ENGland I'd think that the British would know how to speak their own language better than Americans, lol.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:50:10 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:43:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Considering ENGlish is from ENGland I'd think that the British would know how to speak their own language better than Americans, lol.

Well, their technically listed as two different languages so....

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:51:08 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:50:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/5/2011 6:43:06 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well, their technically listed as two different languages so....

Yes, but American English is based off of British English, which is where the language originated from.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 6:56:37 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:30:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

No you are right, having a normal English accent and have spoken to merely thousands and thousands of English people I have no right to speak on this matter. Oh wait... yes I do.

Because that is what you mean when you say a British accent without qualifier, the default Queens English, English accent.

Muppet!

I knew this would happen. Just because you're british does not mean you must race to objection on anything concerning the accent. From what I've heard, and most other people have heard, many british people do not enunciate "ERs." 4:07 he says "bettUH".. Liar!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:02:50 PM
At 9/5/2011 6:56:37 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2011 6:30:58 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Muppet!

I knew this would happen. Just because you're british does not mean you must race to objection on anything concerning the accent. From what I've heard, and most other people have heard, many british people do not enunciate "ERs." 4:07 he says "bettUH".. Liar!

1: I am English, I have spoken to hundreds indeed thousands of English people. Welsh people, Scottish people etc.
2: You are American.
3: I have never heard anyone say "bettuh" unless doing an impression of a retard.
4: At 4:07 Prince William says better. The way it is meant to be said, the way English people say it. He at no point says bettuh. He may possibly say that when drunk I would not really know.
5: AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:06:12 PM
In all seriousness what you believe to be represented by bettuh is not what I would have read. In English better is prounounced in the way regard... for some odd reason to be bettuh.

To any English person the er is prounounced as it should be.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:06:25 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:02:50 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/5/2011 6:56:37 PM, 000ike wrote:
4:07 he says "bettUH".. Liar!

1: I am English, I have spoken to hundreds indeed thousands of English people. Welsh people, Scottish people etc.
2: You are American.
Yes I am aware of that, but I am not deaf, so moot point.

3: I have never heard anyone say "bettuh" unless doing an impression of a retard.
4: At 4:07 Prince William says better. The way it is meant to be said, the way English people say it.

He totally said "bettuh".....can we have a 3rd party listen to this?

He at no point says bettuh. He may possibly say that when drunk I would not really know.
5: AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:07:08 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:06:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
In all seriousness what you believe to be represented by bettuh is not what I would have read. In English better is prounounced in the way regard... for some odd reason to be bettuh.

oh, I see.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:07:49 PM
Can we please focus on Amer.English vs. Brit. English instead of having a competition between two members who are arguing about their knowledge of British?

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:08:10 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:07:08 PM, 000ike wrote:

oh, I see.

That is me being all compromisey... have you got a video of the american better, then I might understand!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:18:35 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:08:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

oh, I see.

That is me being all compromisey... have you got a video of the american better, then I might understand!

0:34 he says "laughtERRR"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:21:41 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:18:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2011 7:08:10 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

oh, I see.

0:34 he says "laughtERRR"

He says laughter also in 0:06.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 8:52:29 PM
British English is real English
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2011 2:18:36 AM
Quite the entertaining topic. Let me provide a third party perspective (I'm Australian, and no, not every Australian speaks like they spend their entire day out in the bush or with crocodiles...) .

Personally, I prefer the British accent, although I dislike too strong an accent on either side of the divide. On the case of 'better' , I have friends who have an English accent and they pronounce it perfectly normally. Yes, they can sound like an idiot and put on that 'bettuh' sound, but it's not a normal British accent. You've got to compare based on the typical language.

Having said that, my preference of British English stems more from a dislike of strong American accents as opposed to the comparison of mild forms of both languages.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it