Jump to topic:

Elitism - Are you an elitist?

Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:06:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is my belief that most people are elitists in one form or another when you strip them to their core beliefs. I know that I am an elitist and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Are you an elitist?

If so, why and on what subject/s?

If not, why not?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:07:00 PM
Elitism: http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:42:10 PM
Can't say I ever considered myself "elite." I know a lot about certain subjects, but I couldn't tell you what a car transmission does (without googling).

Elites usually use their "specialty" as a crutch they fall back upon when they feel threatened. Academics go into post-modern speak, wonks use big words, etc.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:44:15 PM
At 9/8/2011 4:06:05 PM, Tiel wrote:
It is my belief that most people are elitists in one form or another when you strip them to their core beliefs. I know that I am an elitist and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Are you an elitist?

Yes

logic and deductive reasoning. Those that do it (unbiasedly) should hold more weight than others that do not.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:51:43 PM

Are you an elitist?

If not, why not?

This is one of those matters where I would sacrifice an unnecessary truth for peace. As truth is objective the answer to your question is either a yes or no. I personally do not consider myself an elitist and do not try to act elite, mainly because its not very good behavior and it shows conceit, and arrogance to openly declare oneself elite be it fact or lie.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:55:00 PM
I am an elitist in the way that I feel certain people should not be allowed to participate in a group who does not want them there or feel they are worthy to be there.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:06:40 PM
At 9/8/2011 4:51:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

Are you an elitist?

If not, why not?

This is one of those matters where I would sacrifice an unnecessary truth for peace. As truth is objective the answer to your question is either a yes or no. I personally do not consider myself an elitist and do not try to act elite, mainly because its not very good behavior and it shows conceit, and arrogance to openly declare oneself elite be it fact or lie.

You don't have to view yourself as one of the elite to be an elitist.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:10:50 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:06:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Are you an elitist?

If not, why not?

Elitist: "someone who believes in rule by an elite group" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com...)

Elitism: "Elitism is the belief or attitude....." (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:13:33 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:10:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

Are you an elitist?

If not, why not?

Elitist: "someone who believes in rule by an elite group" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com...)

In addition, what the OP was asking for was whether we view ourselves as elitists or not.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:19:00 PM
Yes.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:20:44 PM
Yes. If we are playing Xbox or playing basketball, I simply wont lose. Except for fighting games. Weirdest thing I suck at those.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:24:52 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:13:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/8/2011 5:10:50 PM, 000ike wrote:

Are you an elitist?

If not, why not?

In addition, what the OP was asking for was whether we view ourselves as elitists or not.

right, but you don't have to believe that you are part of that elite group, only that the elite group exists.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:33:57 PM
1.) If you are having a logical and rational conversation about a subject... Then a person joins in the conversation who is illogical and irrational in your opinion...

Do you want them there or feel they are worthy of participating in the group?

2.) How about if you are a group of hardcore Republicans and an independent with some "lefty" views comes to you wanting to join the group...

Would you want him there or feel him worthy to be a part of your group?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:35:23 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:33:57 PM, Tiel wrote:
1.) If you are having a logical and rational conversation about a subject... Then a person joins in the conversation who is illogical and irrational in your opinion...

Do you want them there or feel they are worthy of participating in the group?

No

2.) How about if you are a group of hardcore Republicans and an independent with some "lefty" views comes to you wanting to join the group...

Would you want him there or feel him worthy to be a part of your group?

Yes
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 5:42:26 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:20:44 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Yes. If we are playing Xbox or playing basketball, I simply wont lose. Except for fighting games. Weirdest thing I suck at those.

Who cares about your Xbox skills if you can't even win fighting games?
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 6:29:46 PM
At 9/8/2011 5:42:26 PM, Wnope wrote:

Because I'm the best at shooting games. Seriously any game with a gun in it I dominate. Also racing games. I just can't pull of combos and stuff with a funky d-pad
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 6:45:04 PM
At 9/8/2011 6:29:46 PM, MarquisX wrote:
At 9/8/2011 5:42:26 PM, Wnope wrote:

Because I'm the best at shooting games. Seriously any game with a gun in it I dominate. Also racing games. I just can't pull of combos and stuff with a funky d-pad

That's why I don't like shooting games. I'm a firm believer that you should be able to do combos with an AK-47.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:30:27 AM
This thread is beneath me and my superiority. :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 3:36:16 PM
I don't think people understand all the ranges of context as it pertains to elitism. It can mean to exclude others due to a certain standard.

Is there a situation where you would feel it justified, "right", or preferable in excluding others due to a certain standard?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 3:37:59 PM
At 9/9/2011 3:36:16 PM, Tiel wrote:
I don't think people understand all the ranges of context as it pertains to elitism. It can mean to exclude others due to a certain standard.

Is there a situation where you would feel it justified, "right", or preferable in excluding others due to a certain standard?

Well that changes everything since that's not at all the definition and sentiment of elitism.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 3:43:27 PM
At 9/9/2011 3:37:59 PM, 000ike wrote:

Well that changes everything since that's not at all the definition and sentiment of elitism.

Yes it is, because in order to put yourself into that standard you must think of yourself as an elitist to a degree. Holding yourself to a certain standard above others is a form of elitism.

I will debate you on it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 3:58:28 PM
At 9/9/2011 3:43:27 PM, Tiel wrote:

Yes it is, because in order to put yourself into that standard you must think of yourself as an elitist to a degree. Holding yourself to a certain standard above others is a form of elitism.

I will debate you on it.

Oh, now you're open to debates, when I've started school and have no time.......
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 4:05:52 PM
At 9/9/2011 3:58:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/9/2011 3:43:27 PM, Tiel wrote:

I will debate you on it.

Oh, now you're open to debates, when I've started school and have no time.......

There is always time. Weekends. After school. The challenge stands. Let me know.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 4:52:38 PM
At 9/9/2011 2:15:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
No. In fact, I view myself as inferior.

That means you are an elitist.

I'll remind people.

http://www.google.com...

Elitism - "1.The advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society."

You don't have to view yourself as part of the elite to be an elitist.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:45:39 PM
At 9/9/2011 4:52:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'll remind people.

Elitism - "1.The advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society."

Just because she says she's inferior, doesn't mean she's an elitist. I can believe that some people are elite, but should not be dominating element. Based on her statement, you have no proof that she wants an elite person to dominate her.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 6:55:30 PM
At 9/9/2011 4:52:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'll remind people.

...Or she just likes to be dominated.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:04:50 PM
At 9/9/2011 6:57:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
If you think you are poor, does that make you a "classist?"

Sure. I would say so, since you are thinking of yourself in terms of class.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:06:52 PM
At 9/9/2011 7:04:50 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 9/9/2011 6:57:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
If you think you are poor, does that make you a "classist?"

Sure. I would say so, since you are thinking of yourself in terms of class.

semantic distortion ftw