Pseudo-environmentalist corporations

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:30:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

This story shows that coca cola suspended an investment in France because France started a "soda tax". Now France claims that the "soda tax" will help fight obesity. What crap! If anyone is truly interested in fighting obesity or saving the environment they need to put in money, not take money. The soda tax is the same rubbish that goes on in fast food restaurants who don't provide napkins and grocery stores which don't provide paper bags because they claim they are "saving the environment".

I believe this absolute rubbish must be stopped. If big corporations want to save the environment, they should invest money into it, recycle, etc, not try to get more money under the guise of "saving the environment".

I propose that these measures be taken:

1) France removes its outrageous "soda tax"
2) All fast food restaurants in the US go back to using napkins as opposed to those ridiculous contraptions called "hand dryers"
3) Grocery stores provide as many plastic bags to customers as they want at no extra price
4) Airports stop using laser sensing faucets in restrooms which turn themselves off automatically every 5 seconds and just use the regular faucets
5) Any corporation which makes things inconvenient for customers under the guise of "going green" should be fined
6) And ban the phrase "going green" for good measure. It is so deceptive.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:34:03 PM
I dislike fake environmentalism as much as the next guy, but don't you think you're overreacting? The napkins thing, I'm still scratching my head as to why that is bad.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:36:09 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:32:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Someone is grumpy.

Yes, I just had lunch in a fast food restaurant and later I saw the news article. This has been going on for a long time and I am really pissed off.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:36:27 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:30:18 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

This story shows that coca cola suspended an investment in France because France started a "soda tax". Now France claims that the "soda tax" will help fight obesity. What crap! If anyone is truly interested in fighting obesity or saving the environment they need to put in money, not take money. The soda tax is the same rubbish that goes on in fast food restaurants who don't provide napkins and grocery stores which don't provide paper bags because they claim they are "saving the environment".

I believe this absolute rubbish must be stopped. If big corporations want to save the environment, they should invest money into it, recycle, etc, not try to get more money under the guise of "saving the environment".

Adding a tax lowers demand. So the tax is designed to lower the consumption of soda and make a little money to fight the effects of fat people cracking the sidewalk.

2) All fast food restaurants in the US go back to using napkins as opposed to those ridiculous contraptions called "hand dryers"

Are we gonna force them to? I'm not aware of any laws or regulations forcing them to use the "hand dryers," I believe that they choose that themselves.

3) Grocery stores provide as many plastic bags to customers as they want at no extra price

Even in Oregon we still have plastic bags (though they are trying to remove them), and we're pretty liberal, so I imagine that most of the nation still uses them.

4) Airports stop using laser sensing faucets in restrooms which turn themselves off automatically every 5 seconds and just use the regular faucets

Same question with number 2.

5) Any corporation which makes things inconvenient for customers under the guise of "going green" should be fined

...a little totalitarian, don't you think?

most slogans are, that is part of their point. Do you think skittle's "taste the rainbow" is accurate?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:38:38 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
I dislike fake environmentalism as much as the next guy, but don't you think you're overreacting? The napkins thing, I'm still scratching my head as to why that is bad.

Napkins are easier and quicker to clean your hands with, but they also cost the restaurant more. Hand dryers are cheaper and more inconvenient to customers. But the restaurants decide that since they don't use paper, they can market hand dryers as "green" and make more profits at the same time making the customers believe that they actually care about the environment.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:47:14 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:36:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Adding a tax lowers demand. So the tax is designed to lower the consumption of soda and make a little money to fight the effects of fat people cracking the sidewalk.

The point I am trying to make is that they only care about the taxes, not whether people are obese or not. If they truly cared, they would invest in diet and exercise programs, annual walks etc.

Are we gonna force them to? I'm not aware of any laws or regulations forcing them to use the "hand dryers," I believe that they choose that themselves.

Yeah, but they are lying to the customers saying that they care about the environment. If they straight up say "we are cheap, greedy douchebags, that is why we won't give you any napkins, that's fine.

Even in Oregon we still have plastic bags (though they are trying to remove them), and we're pretty liberal, so I imagine that most of the nation still uses them.

I guess it depends on the location.

It is okay if they are honest. The point is that they are misleading people into thinking that they are saving the environment and making the customer feel morally good about using hand dryers etc, when the whole thing is one big lie.

most slogans are, that is part of their point. Do you think skittle's "taste the rainbow" is accurate?

No one expects to taste the rainbow, so people will never believe it. Environment is something that people will believe in, just like if a product says there is no saturated fat in the product, people will believe it. If it says "taste the rainbow", no one believes it.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:55:22 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:38:38 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Napkins are easier and quicker to clean your hands with, but they also cost the restaurant more. Hand dryers are cheaper and more inconvenient to customers. But the restaurants decide that since they don't use paper, they can market hand dryers as "green" and make more profits at the same time making the customers believe that they actually care about the environment.

I hear you on this one. Dryers aren't green because they require plenty of energy to run. I hate the dryer things. I used the Mcdonalds bathroom yesterday and they didn't have any napkins available.. i'll wipe my hands on my pants any day over using those dryers.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 5:59:51 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:47:14 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/14/2011 5:36:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The point I am trying to make is that they only care about the taxes, not whether people are obese or not. If they truly cared, they would invest in diet and exercise programs, annual walks etc.

Those things have to be paid for you need money to "invest in diets and exercise programs," that is what the tax funds, or at least, helps to fund.

Yeah, but they are lying to the customers saying that they care about the environment. If they straight up say "we are cheap, greedy douchebags, that is why we won't give you any napkins, that's fine.

You're right, they are lying. Most companies do, like when you get that automated voice that says "please hold, your call is important to us." Or when they say they care about their employees (okay, only some lie about that, many do actually care about their employees as more than just money making meat sacks).

I guess it depends on the location.

It is okay if they are honest. The point is that they are misleading people into thinking that they are saving the environment and making the customer feel morally good about using hand dryers etc, when the whole thing is one big lie.

No one expects to taste the rainbow, so people will never believe it. Environment is something that people will believe in, just like if a product says there is no saturated fat in the product, people will believe it. If it says "taste the rainbow", no one believes it.

But they'll believe it tastes better. If the slogans did not have an impact on customers, companies wouldn't use them. They have entire departments researching silly things like this. There are people that believe that if they spray themselves down with Axe body spray, that they will drive women crazy (rather than just make them throwup in their mouth a little)
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 6:01:31 PM
At 9/14/2011 5:55:22 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/14/2011 5:38:38 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

I hear you on this one. Dryers aren't green because they require plenty of energy to run. I hate the dryer things. I used the Mcdonalds bathroom yesterday and they didn't have any napkins available.. i'll wipe my hands on my pants any day over using those dryers.

You guys keep saying napkin, don't you mean papertowel? Napkins are for wiping your hands and mouth after you eat. lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:28:31 PM
O'reilly arguing against corporate regulations! Never thought I'd see the day!!
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.