Plagiarism Extremism

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 3:08:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Read this debate: http://www.pbs.org...

All you really need to read is the 1st 4 paragraphs by margaret warner. I don't think its plagiarism if there is a footnote of the source AND the material was paraphrased.

This kind of overly sensitive rule on plagiarism makes no sense. You cannot own the english language.

I find myself writing timidly on school essays so I don't get accused of accidental plagiarism or don't accidentally repeat word for word a sentence that someone has written before. This is taking intellectual property to extremes. Only something ripped off word for word over a LONG passage, or slightly altered without citation is plagiarism. Its very likely that certain sentences and phrases get repeated, that is no ground upon which to incriminate people.

Thoughts?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:20:09 PM
At 9/19/2011 4:18:56 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Just seems like the guy is on an ego trip

which guy? The one that allegedly "plagiarized" or the one he allegedly "plagiarized" from?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 4:29:50 PM
I agree. This whole plagiarism thing has gone overboard. My school has been progressively harsher and harsher on plagiarism, counting even taking a single answer to a simple question form a schoolmate as plagiarism, with both the cheater and the person who allowed the cheating getting punished. Not only that, but some teachers have said that if they even suspect plagiarism, then the accused gets an automatic 0, no questions asked.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 9:48:11 AM
Um, I was taught in my English studies at high school, that if you are going to repeat some else's words word for word you use quotation marks " " this automatically signifies they are not your words but someone else's. When you "paraphrase" You rewrite what someone else said in your own words, only using key words or phrases. Then you put a foot note at the bottom indicating the source for that paraphrase and giving credit to who originated the thought.

This all seems like English 101 to me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:05:09 AM
At 9/27/2011 9:48:11 AM, sadolite wrote:
Um, I was taught in my English studies at high school, that if you are going to repeat some else's words word for word you use quotation marks " " this automatically signifies they are not your words but someone else's. When you "paraphrase" You rewrite what someone else said in your own words, only using key words or phrases. Then you put a foot note at the bottom indicating the source for that paraphrase and giving credit to who originated the thought.

This all seems like English 101 to me.

You should also cite when you quote (since you are admitting that they aren't your words, you should say where they came from).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 10:29:05 AM
The distinction between plagarism and simply quoting is very, very, very clear.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.