Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Lets just see how many different answers.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 8:42:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In another forum post someone defined what it is to be an American and what defines American culture. It in no way even resembles what I believe or was taught.

Let see how many different answers we can get to both questions. I'll bet no two will be alike, because America has no defining culture anymore. And with no culture there is no way to define what being an American is. I bet there will be no consensus on either. "Multiculturalism" is not an answer that is a politically correct manufactured word from the 70's. It does not describe "A" (1) countries culture in any way shape or form. So please spare us all that "Multiculturalism" bullc@ap.

In theory, everyones answer should be similar. But we all know they won't be.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 8:46:31 PM
How many people will you bet'll say that being an American is to be free?

Anyway--I'll provide the bland answer and say that being an American means you have US citizenship. There really is no other blanket descriptors.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 8:52:51 PM
American culture seems to be a belief in the freedom of the individual from government while simultaneously having a strong sense of patriotism.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 8:57:55 PM
At 9/19/2011 8:52:51 PM, socialpinko wrote:
American culture seems to be a belief in the freedom of the individual from government while simultaneously having a strong sense of patriotism.

I could agree with that, even though I find patriotism to be very strange...

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:00:50 PM
At 9/19/2011 8:57:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I don't think there's anything inherently pro-government about patriotism. Patriotism is about enjoying living in the country you live in. The US isn't a perfect nation, but it beats most nations.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:09:06 PM
At 9/19/2011 9:00:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I don't think there's anything inherently pro-government about patriotism. Patriotism is about enjoying living in the country you live in. The US isn't a perfect nation, but it beats most nations.

This.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:16:53 PM
To be "American", you must have a United States passport.
Exception: Sometimes you could say that many immigrants living in the US are "Americans" too as long they are permanent residents and generally speak, act, and live like Americans.

American culture:
Food: Apple pie and hamburgers, I think originated in America but I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise "American" food has influences from a wide variety of cultures like Italian (pizza, pasta), Mexican (breakfast burritos) etc.

Sports: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer in that order. (Too bad because I'm a huge soccer fan)

Workplace: Mainly individual expression, much more than in other cultures. Emphasis on the individual as opposed to the collective.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:17:38 PM
At 9/19/2011 9:16:53 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Exception: Sometimes you could say that many immigrants living in the US are "Americans" too as long they are permanent residents and generally speak, act, and live like Americans.

American culture:
Food: Apple pie and hamburgers, I think originated in America but I am not sure, correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise "American" food has influences from a wide variety of cultures like Italian (pizza, pasta), Mexican (breakfast burritos) etc.

Sports: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer in that order. (Too bad because I'm a huge soccer fan)

Workplace: Mainly individual expression, much more than in other cultures. Emphasis on the individual as opposed to the collective.

Switch baseball and football around.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:23:42 PM
At 9/19/2011 9:17:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

American culture:

Baseball just coined the name "America's passtime" ...Most Americans overwhelmingly prefer football over baseball, and I personally think baseball is a boring sport.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:38:17 PM
At 9/19/2011 9:23:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/19/2011 9:17:38 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

American culture:

Baseball just coined the name "America's passtime" ...Most Americans overwhelmingly prefer football over baseball, and I personally think baseball is a boring sport.

I blame the constant glove adjustments out of the batter's box.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:39:23 PM

I don't much get it but I enjoy bonding with my family in our patriotic celebrations(4 July and all the useless holidays I get off from school!).
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:42:18 PM
What about the rest of the countries? Might as well involve anything on either North America or South America, they're Americas, too.

My point is that culture and identity aren't defined by borders. Borders themselves aren't even defined in any concrete way; it's just a case of "this is mine, this is yours". People's opinions on soccer and pizza don't change depending on which pile of rock you're standing on.

I think the only thing that is unique to the United States is the holidays we celebrate. 4th of July, and such.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:11:01 PM
American culture as it was taught to me was Rugged individualism, self reliance and that this nation was one nation under god.

To be an American was to embrace capitalism and the free market system and to fight for freedom wherever tyranny existed.

Both miles from what has been posted so far.

No two alike either. Except for the the droll responses of being a us citizen is what it means to be an American. It is probably closest to what it means today.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:13:52 PM
At 9/19/2011 11:11:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
American culture as it was taught to me was Rugged individualism, self reliance and that this nation was one nation under god.

To be an American was to embrace capitalism and the free market system and to fight for freedom wherever tyranny existed.

Both miles from what has been posted so far.

No two alike either. Except for the the droll responses of being a us citizen is what it means to be an American. It is probably closest to what it means today.

Capitalism and tyranny aren't mutually exclusive.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:47:17 PM
At 9/19/2011 9:42:18 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
My point is that culture and identity aren't defined by borders.

thats naive. even if borders are nothing more than social constructions they are psychologically salient and tend to have a huge effect on how people think about themselves and form their identities. if people were entirely rational about this process it probably wouldn't matter, but most of the processes involved in identity formation go on unconsciously and don't necessarily get scrutinized consciously. they *shouldn't* be defined by borders, because borders are entirely arbitrary, but in many cases they are, because they also tend to have a large effect on people's unconscious beliefs.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:30:54 AM
The number of US passports as of January 2011 is 114,464,041.

Most natural-born citizens of the US do not have a passport.

I am among this number.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:41:12 AM
Being American is just a legal thing to me.

American culture...It's mostly about materialism and competition.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:45:05 AM
At 9/20/2011 1:30:54 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I am among this number.

Then how do you leave the country?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:47:21 AM

I don't think America's free-market mentality has anything to do with belief in freedom. That's not an attack against all free-marketeers, mind you. I just think that American culture does not really have that rationale behind it, whether they believe to or not. It seems to me that it's based more on an attitude of competition, merit, responsibility, proving one's worth, etc. Not freedom.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:47:37 AM
At 9/20/2011 1:45:05 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/20/2011 1:30:54 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I am among this number.

Then how do you leave the country?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOlOlOlOLOLOlOlOlOLOLOLOLOL

I should hope that the absurdity of defining Americanism by possessing a document one obtains in order to be enabled to leave America is apparent.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:52:39 AM
At 9/19/2011 8:42:11 PM, sadolite wrote:
In another forum post someone defined what it is to be an American and what defines American culture. It in no way even resembles what I believe or was taught.

Let see how many different answers we can get to both questions. I'll bet no two will be alike, because America has no defining culture anymore. And with no culture there is no way to define what being an American is. I bet there will be no consensus on either. "Multiculturalism" is not an answer that is a politically correct manufactured word from the 70's. It does not describe "A" (1) countries culture in any way shape or form. So please spare us all that "Multiculturalism" bullc@ap.

In theory, everyones answer should be similar. But we all know they won't be.

You're right and you're wrong. The direction of multiculturalism is now a predominant value that is being promoted, but from the beginning of this country there was a value of pluralism. It came from the diversity within the states unified by a single country. However, the pluralism would be a subset of the larger set of being American. People don't realize the impact the Quakers had on this country's founding, and the early experience within Pennsylvania. However, there was and always has been an expectation that the subsets will relinquish their ultimate ties to other countries from where they came and live as an American.

America has been a meritocracy in varying levels. It's not a perfect place with perfection in the ideals when applied, but the country has been a land of opportunity. These ideals are being demonized and picked apart by the left because a meritocracy is counter to leftist ideals. The ideals lie in freedoms and economic opportunity.

On patriotism - it is a vested interest in the country of which you belong, and as a member you are a participant so that the belonging you have is justified by the small part you play. America is an idea more than just land, which makes it different than other countries.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:33:30 AM
As I suspected, virtualy no answers or responses just arguments.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:34:51 AM
At 9/19/2011 8:46:31 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
How many people will you bet'll say that being an American is to be free?

Anyway--I'll provide the bland answer and say that being an American means you have US citizenship. There really is no other blanket descriptors.

"How many people will you bet'll say that being an American is to be free?"

Only you so far.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 7:38:17 AM
At 9/19/2011 9:42:18 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
What about the rest of the countries? Might as well involve anything on either North America or South America, they're Americas, too.

My point is that culture and identity aren't defined by borders. Borders themselves aren't even defined in any concrete way; it's just a case of "this is mine, this is yours". People's opinions on soccer and pizza don't change depending on which pile of rock you're standing on.

I think the only thing that is unique to the United States is the holidays we celebrate. 4th of July, and such.

"I think the only thing that is unique to the United States is the holidays we celebrate. 4th of July, and such. "

"Tragic"

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:50:08 AM
At 9/20/2011 7:33:30 AM, sadolite wrote:
As I suspected, virtualy no answers or responses just arguments.

Because it ain't what it used to be.