Jump to topic:

Intent

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 10:15:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Turning the other cheek is a phrase in Christian doctrine that refers to responding to an aggressor without violence. The phrase originates from the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament.

In the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says:

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
—Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

How easy this would be if we were not "emotionally" driven human beings.
Thoughts come before action, so when someone rubs you the wrong way how do you respond? As we get older we are able to "tolerate" more in some instances, our tempers aren't that quick (SOMETIMES), but there are some acts, maybe unspeakable that are done to us, and we realize how the only way it could have been carried out is that it had to be thought out.

How do you handle these situations?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 4:05:49 PM
At 9/22/2011 10:15:01 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Turning the other cheek is a phrase in Christian doctrine that refers to responding to an aggressor without violence. The phrase originates from the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament.

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Thoughts come before action, so when someone rubs you the wrong way how do you respond? As we get older we are able to "tolerate" more in some instances, our tempers aren't that quick (SOMETIMES), but there are some acts, maybe unspeakable that are done to us, and we realize how the only way it could have been carried out is that it had to be thought out.

In things like driving i have a really thick skin, or loose garment, or whatever, but i don't get upset very much if someone cuts me off, or does something wrong to me. I don't really care, and i have made enough mistakes driving so that i can let others get away with stuff and not care. However, i know people that go insane over a driving transgression against them.

In more serious matters, i am still pretty tolerant of people who have done something to me. It does not make me happy to get angry, and holding resentments is a very bad thing for me. It's really a selfish desire for happiness that i am able to let stuff go. I am also really easy to forgive others, because i have asked for forgiveness myself. I know how terribly imperfect i am, so i am incredibly tolerant of the imperfections of others.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 4:38:33 PM

so fitting when God got pissed that the jews thought He forsook them b/c they were lost in a desert for years without word from him, and so worshipped a calf in desperation, and he First was hell-bent on murdering All of them.. and then Moses got him to "think twice" so that God only ended up ordering moses to murder Most of them.

You can see how Jesus' teaching really brings Completion to the Jewish scripture right?..

Clearly "turn the other cheek" is one of the lessons to be drawn from these tales.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 4:43:50 PM
At 9/22/2011 4:38:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Clearly "turn the other cheek" is one of the lessons to be drawn from these tales.

now.. just b/c I don't think God is a good source for getting "turn the other cheek".. and seem critical of God here..

doesn't mean I think "turn the other cheek" is a good doctrine.

If you want to hurt me w/o reason I'll do my best to restrain you.. For my sake and for that of others who I might not care to see treated similarly to how you would treat me.

And if you're a serious enough problem.. I might even seek a more permanent solution!

(that said... I wouldn't be so vain as to consider your forgetting me when I had evidently abandoned you to be any kind of offense against me.. especially not one to be repaid by your killing)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 4:18:22 AM
At 9/22/2011 4:43:50 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

now.. just b/c I don't think God is a good source for getting "turn the other cheek".. and seem critical of God here..

If you want to hurt me w/o reason I'll do my best to restrain you.. For my sake and for that of others who I might not care to see treated similarly to how you would treat me.

And if you're a serious enough problem.. I might even seek a more permanent solution!

(that said... I wouldn't be so vain as to consider your forgetting me when I had evidently abandoned you to be any kind of offense against me.. especially not one to be repaid by your killing)

That's not what He was getting at.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 6:23:42 AM
"Turn the other cheek" is an unjustifiable law to live by. I would never accept such mentality as wise. People can't be allowed to just do whatever they want. Also, the biblical God does not follow this rule in the bible.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 7:04:15 AM

Usually, I'm pretty laid back. I do have a bit of a temper, but reading Mahatma Gandhi's biography has had a profound effect on me. I guess there are two types of situations:

1. When people deliberately try to hurt you.
2. When they unintentionally do so.

In the second case, humor comes in handy. Since the person did not wish to hurt you, humorously turning the situation and pointing out helps. It politely points out the incident and does not makes you invisible. Usually, I go for the simple, " I have no respect" or better still, " No one loves me.". Trust me, it works.

In the first case, I usually just ignore it. Or yawn/ pointedly show my disinterest. Makes everyone laugh and is a big boo to the face of the person.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:27:41 AM

I am more apt to follow these lines.

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:29:20 AM
At 9/23/2011 4:18:22 AM, innomen wrote:

That's not what He was getting at.

Sometimes ZI just let people go for what they know. Although I used a biblical scripture this was more about what an individual does to move on.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 10:35:31 AM
At 9/23/2011 6:23:42 AM, Tiel wrote:
"Turn the other cheek" is an unjustifiable law to live by. I would never accept such mentality as wise. People can't be allowed to just do whatever they want. Also, the biblical God does not follow this rule in the bible.

The bible is said to be "God inspired". If God has never been seen by a man why is everyone to blame him for what "men" who were said to be under divine inspiration put into a book?

The question I was asking had nothing really to do with the bible, even though I used a scripture. I wish you would have thought past the scripture to give an intelligent response.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 11:01:04 AM
Whether you choose to practice these things or not, it is often in your best interests to encourage others to practice these things.

Jesus was teaching a type of detachment from things that got in the way of practicing what he perceived to be pure unconditional and self sacrificing love.

That is probably the biggest appeal of Jesus. His words have a profound effect on those who feel unloved.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2011 2:23:58 PM
At 9/23/2011 10:35:31 AM, kelly224 wrote:
At 9/23/2011 6:23:42 AM, Tiel wrote:

The bible is said to be "God inspired". If God has never been seen by a man why is everyone to blame him for what "men" who were said to be under divine inspiration put into a book?

The question I was asking had nothing really to do with the bible, even though I used a scripture. I wish you would have thought past the scripture to give an intelligent response.

I used your example from the bible. I gave you an answer which used it's context. If you give another example, without the bible, I will be happy to give you a more intelligent answer which doesn't concern it directly. Don't quote the bible and then expect people to not use it in there answer.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 10:32:50 AM
At 9/23/2011 11:01:04 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Whether you choose to practice these things or not, it is often in your best interests to encourage others to practice these things.

Jesus was teaching a type of detachment from things that got in the way of practicing what he perceived to be pure unconditional and self sacrificing love.

That is probably the biggest appeal of Jesus. His words have a profound effect on those who feel unloved.

Don't we all feel unloved at some point in our lives?