Jump to topic:

Do you believe this?

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 4:32:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are a few assertions about men here that seem so off base. Obviously i can't speak for all men, and i certainly cannot speak for the average heterosexual man, but his first statement that all men see you as being naked sounds ridiculous, and he seems to have some issues with incest or something. Also, men never need romance? Maybe not need but want? Again, i cannot speak for heterosexual males, but I am guessing there is a percentage who like romance, particularly when they are in love.

This guy seems to be full of crap.
http://fabulously40.com...
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 5:30:19 AM
At 9/25/2011 4:32:56 AM, innomen wrote:
There are a few assertions about men here that seem so off base. Obviously i can't speak for all men, and i certainly cannot speak for the average heterosexual man, but his first statement that all men see you as being naked sounds ridiculous, and he seems to have some issues with incest or something. Also, men never need romance? Maybe not need but want? Again, i cannot speak for heterosexual males, but I am guessing there is a percentage who like romance, particularly when they are in love.

Funny article. He probably hits a high percentage of males, but definitely not all.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 7:49:58 AM
That's what happens when you ask people for dating advice. They speak for the entire gender, and end up spewing a lot of crap that probably only applies to them.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 8:10:23 AM

It doesn't apply to me. But I'm 13, so what do I know?
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:33:52 AM
lol. Funny article.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:52:22 AM
"First and foremost, you should know, that every man sees you naked (which is, not so coincidentally, the title of my most recent book). And when I say every man, I mean just that. Your brother, your dentist, your uncle, your clergyman, your father, your son, and your eighty-five-year old grandfather have all pictured you in the buff at one time or another. And whether you find it gross, disgusting, inappropriate, or downright despicable, it is still the way we're hardwired, and like it or not, it's not going to change."

Although I don't know a lot about relationships, I can imagine that in order for me to live a whole life with my wife, I must be able to like her not just on a purely physical level, because when she becomes unattractive with age, will we simply divorce? How can that be the meaning of marriage?

Also, the author sounds like a pedophile...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 9:53:18 AM
I don't think it applies to anyone. Except the too-cool-ones-who-are-so-comfortable-with-themselves-they-believe-they-are-above-everyone-else. I won't argue I haven't met such people, but their percentage is really low. Specially with the 'see you naked' thing. That's just bullsh!t.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 10:24:47 AM
My assumption is that the article was actually written by a women, not the guy in the picture, purely for a female audience who wishes to read it and say to themselves "you know that's exactly what I thought, I am so clever, shall I attempt to treat my next boyfriend as a co-equal in the relationship... no I'll treat him as a pervy retarded teenager... I wonder why all my relationships fail".
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 11:21:21 AM
I really don't picture every girl I meet naked, even discounting the old people, under age girls, fat girls, ugly girl etc. The author is just a pervert.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 11:45:09 AM
At 9/25/2011 10:24:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
My assumption is that the article was actually written by a women, not the guy in the picture, purely for a female audience who wishes to read it and say to themselves "you know that's exactly what I thought, I am so clever, shall I attempt to treat my next boyfriend as a co-equal in the relationship... no I'll treat him as a pervy retarded teenager... I wonder why all my relationships fail".

You're very right. Scrolling through the comments, there a band of women who say the article liberates them and all that crap, and the one guy that responds calls it nonsense. I'm sure though, that the most insecure guys would compel themselves to agree with this horse manure.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:08:56 PM
I'll be honest. If I see a chick that is absolutely stunning, ill say to myself " holy sh!t I'd liked to get to know her", but I don't. Mainly because I'm a coward but also because I'm still in love with my ex. Just don't feel like being in a relationship or even having sex with some random girl now. Girls are nuts. I wish being gay was a choice sometimes.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:22:35 PM
At 9/25/2011 2:08:56 PM, MarquisX wrote:
I'll be honest. If I see a chick that is absolutely stunning, ill say to myself " holy sh!t I'd liked to get to know her", but I don't. Mainly because I'm a coward but also because I'm still in love with my ex. Just don't feel like being in a relationship or even having sex with some random girl now. Girls are nuts. I wish being gay was a choice sometimes.

"I wish being gay was a choice sometimes."

Um, last I checked there was nothing stopping anyone from engaging in homosexual behavior. As a matter of fact it is deemed vituous and as normal as heterosexual. Your resitance is unfounded and delusional. The fact that you even say that means you are gay in many homosexual forums.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:27:46 PM
At 9/25/2011 2:22:35 PM, sadolite wrote:
Um, last I checked there was nothing stopping anyone from engaging in homosexual behavior. As a matter of fact it is deemed vituous and as normal as heterosexual. Your resitance is unfounded and delusional. The fact that you even say that means you are gay in many homosexual forums.

Being gay isn't a virtue, and it is perfectly normal.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:29:50 PM
At 9/25/2011 2:08:56 PM, MarquisX wrote:

You sir, are a very confused individual...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:32:52 PM

Hmm, so some stereotypes are cool but others aren't eh innomen? Now you know how the Jewish mother who doesn't fit the stereotype feels lol

The guys full of crap on some stuff though, the incest thing is just wrong and he claims condoms are only "marginally" effective protection from disease and pregnancy. I do enjoy admiring attractive women though and he's actually kind of right about the romance thing in my case.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 2:39:45 PM

So because I'm not attracted to men, it makes me delusional? Are you retarded? And stop treating gay like its this special thing, its not. I'm all for gay pride and gay marriage but being gay doesn't mean you get a Nobel peace prize. And besides it was a joke
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 3:51:23 PM
At 9/25/2011 2:32:52 PM, feverish wrote:

Hmm, so some stereotypes are cool but others aren't eh innomen? Now you know how the Jewish mother who doesn't fit the stereotype feels lol

Not at all, she did fit the stereotype that was the problem. This guy is saying all men are this way, i never said all Jewish mothers are a certain way, but there is justification to the stereotype. Completely different from what this guy asserts than what i assert.

The guys full of crap on some stuff though, the incest thing is just wrong and he claims condoms are only "marginally" effective protection from disease and pregnancy. I do enjoy admiring attractive women though and he's actually kind of right about the romance thing in my case.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 4:29:52 PM
At 9/25/2011 3:51:23 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/25/2011 2:32:52 PM, feverish wrote:

Not at all, she did fit the stereotype that was the problem.

This guy is saying all men are this way, i never said all Jewish mothers are a certain way, but there is justification to the stereotype. Completely different from what this guy asserts than what i assert.

Yeah well I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with just observing that someone happens to fit into a certain stereotype, as long as you are aware that such generalisations are by no means absolute. I was talking about any hypothetical Jewish mother who doesn't fit the stereotype and just attempting a bit of humour there. I'm not trying to criticise you personally at all, just get you to think a bit about your views on stereotypes,

I'm sure that this guy would acknowledge that there are some exceptions to what he's describing, but what he is doing by talking about men in an almost absolute way (Don't know if Korashk still has that sig) is really just one step further from you saying a stereotype is "justified" because you've had that stereotype reinforced by people conforming to it.

This is the problem with stereotypes, while they can seem harmless and fun, as soon as too much validity starts being attached to them, prejudice becomes ingrained and certain people start believing that certain negative stereotypes are true in an almost absolute sense.

You think some stereotypes are justified, yet you still clearly felt annoyed, even offended when you read the article. Even though you know he's describing a stereotype not a reality, because he's talking in almost absolute terms, you resented it.

I suppose I'd be kind of interested in your opinion on the stereotype that gay men are promiscuous, flamboyant and overly emotional, since you certainly don't come across that way yourself, I'd be interested to know if you think those and other steroetypes about gay men are justified.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 4:45:03 PM
Christina H. on CRACKED.com is just like this. She writes a SH1T ton of articles about women (i.e, 6 Obnoxious Stereotypes about Women Hollywood (that are total BS)). Even though CRACKED hosts all humorous articles, and even though I'm a guy, I can tell what Ms. H writes is bull.

Here's one of her WORST articles: http://www.cracked.com...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 4:57:43 PM
At 9/25/2011 4:45:03 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Christina H. on CRACKED.com is just like this. She writes a SH1T ton of articles about women (i.e, 6 Obnoxious Stereotypes about Women Hollywood (that are total BS)). Even though CRACKED hosts all humorous articles, and even though I'm a guy, I can tell what Ms. H writes is bull.

She's a great writer. And she writes about what she knows , which is being a Chinese Woman. That's like getting mad at seanbaby for being angry for writing about being manly or John Cheese for being an old man gamers.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 5:19:58 PM
At 9/25/2011 4:57:43 PM, MarquisX wrote:

She's a great writer. And she writes about what she knows , which is being a Chinese Woman. That's like getting mad at seanbaby for writing about being manly or John Cheese for being an old man gamer.

I fixed it.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 8:20:53 PM
At 9/25/2011 2:39:45 PM, MarquisX wrote:

So because I'm not attracted to men, it makes me delusional? Are you retarded? And stop treating gay like its this special thing, its not. I'm all for gay pride and gay marriage but being gay doesn't mean you get a Nobel peace prize. And besides it was a joke

Why? What's the big deal about being born in one way or another? It's like being proud to be white.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 8:22:18 PM
At 9/25/2011 8:20:53 PM, seraine wrote:

Why? What's the big deal about being born in one way or another? It's like being proud to be white.

Exactamente. I don't get the LGBT pride thing, either.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 1:44:09 AM
I'm not gay but I think gay pride is more about, how all throughout history gays have been discriminated against. The nazis rounded them up and killed them and Christians today are about two seconds from doing so. So instead of them bowing down and pretending to be straight so life is easier for them, they show off their true colors and welcome the hatred with their head held high.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 3:05:44 AM
At 9/25/2011 8:22:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I've become pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Here's the thing, when you are young and you are 'coming out' you go through a period where your entire identity is surrounded by being gay, and anything to do with gay and your sexuality. You rejoice in this new freedom to be who you were born to be, so you often just revel in the whole thing, and there are tons of others going through this with you. There is a period of craziness for lots of gays and lesbians where they just live and breath gayness. Generally people out grow most of it, and are less hyped about being gay, not all, some remain, but most move onto living a normal life with less obsession about their sexuality, and sexual identity.

The pride has so little to do with outside oppression rather than internal liberation of the person who's been repressing much because of the societal constraints.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:17:04 AM
At 9/26/2011 3:05:44 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/25/2011 8:22:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I've become pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Here's the thing, when you are young and you are 'coming out' you go through a period where your entire identity is surrounded by being gay, and anything to do with gay and your sexuality. You rejoice in this new freedom to be who you were born to be, so you often just revel in the whole thing, and there are tons of others going through this with you. There is a period of craziness for lots of gays and lesbians where they just live and breath gayness. Generally people out grow most of it, and are less hyped about being gay, not all, some remain, but most move onto living a normal life with less obsession about their sexuality, and sexual identity.

The pride has so little to do with outside oppression rather than internal liberation of the person who's been repressing much because of the societal constraints.

I stand corrected then.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 9:56:37 AM
Um, last I checked there was nothing stopping anyone from engaging in homosexual behavior.

Engaging in it doesn't mean he will necessarily like it...
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 10:03:59 AM
There are a few assertions about men here that seem so off base. Obviously i can't speak for all men, and i certainly cannot speak for the average heterosexual man, but his first statement that all men see you as being naked sounds ridiculous, and he seems to have some issues with incest or something... This guy seems to be full of crap.

I don't think you should take the word all so literally here. You have been vocal about supporting generalizations that for the most part seem true. If I were to make the statement "All gay men are shallow," clearly you would not assume that I literally meant ALL gay men, right? Yet you would nonetheless probably agree with my overall assessment.

The article claims that men visualize almost all women naked at some point; men don't need romance to get in the mood for sex (not to be confused with don't want romance at all, which is how you phrased it); men under the age of 29 have no goals in regard to their future love life; a lot of men don't know how to properly use condoms.

I'd say that the first 2 are likely very true. I think the 3rd and 4th claims are largely subjective. I know plenty of guys under 30 who at least act like they have goals for their relationships, though I'm not sure if they actually do. I also know nothing about applying condoms or how much guys know about it :P

Still, even if 2/4 are largely true, it doesn't seem like enough to make these kind of sweeping assertions. I agree that the guy is probably full of crap, but articles like this tend to get a lot of laughs or criticism - nevertheless attention - which is important for a writer.
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 11:00:58 AM
I resent this - I know how and when to put on a condom. You put it on BEFORE you go out clubbing, just in case anything happens....

No, but seriously. Can someone tell me how guys are using it wrong? Besides what Dane Cook calls the trampoline (putting it on inside out, then switching sides, leaving pre-cum on the outside), I don't get the mistake he's referencing (not knowing "when" to put it on). Seems self explanatory... If you're not hard, it's too early. If you're inside her, it's too late...

I mean, I knew one guy in college who unrolled the whole thing like a giant tube sock, lol, but cmon
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 11:09:40 AM
oh, and the rest are bs too. I don't have a good enough imagination to picture every girl naked; too much work.

Plenty of guys under 30 have plans for their relationships. Plenty of girls under 30 don't. It has more to do with the person's personality than anything else; it's less gender specific and more to do with someone's views on love and monogamy.

The last one is true - guys don't need romance. Or foreplay.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)