Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Did you ever believe in Santa Clause?

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 7:45:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I just want to see if this is an intellectual thing with people who like to debate, but I have never believed in Santa Clause.

When I was little, I thought that everyone's parents would pay someone who is dressed in a santa clause costume to sneak in through the window and put gifts under the tree. I thought that there were thousands of Santa's and each had to be hired to leave presents at midnight under the tree. This was my "rational" explanation because I didn't believe in the impossible stories that my parents and school were purporting about a fat man that breaks into billions of homes on a flying sleigh within 8 hours.

Perhaps I just had a stunted imagination, but I'd like to get some opinions in here. Did any of you ever actually believe in Santa Clause?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2011 7:53:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I believed for a very short while--for like 2 Christmases, I think.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:10:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah I believed in Santa. But being poor I never got what I wanted and I outgrow him early.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:14:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/25/2011 7:45:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
I just want to see if this is an intellectual thing with people who like to debate, but I have never believed in Santa Clause.

When I was little, I thought that everyone's parents would pay someone who is dressed in a santa clause costume to sneak in through the window and put gifts under the tree. I thought that there were thousands of Santa's and each had to be hired to leave presents at midnight under the tree. This was my "rational" explanation because I didn't believe in the impossible stories that my parents and school were purporting about a fat man that breaks into billions of homes on a flying sleigh within 8 hours.

Perhaps I just had a stunted imagination, but I'd like to get some opinions in here. Did any of you ever actually believe in Santa Clause?

I can't remember ever believing in Santa. But I can't remember past the 5th grade either.

Remember kids. JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS. They stole my youth.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:29:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I took far too much on faith, until I did a controlled experiment on the tooth fairy (the same way I got out of grownup style faith :P)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:55:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I did. But that was pretty much because my father always answered every question I had so philosophically, that I had no reason to not to. In fact, I was one of the kids always intelligently trying to convert the non believers. Our conversation one christmas went something like this-

(I got a sketch pen set with my name written on it in my father's writing)
5 year old me: You bought this. There is no Santa.
Dad: Why do you think so?
Me: This is your writing. You make your A's like this.
Dad: Okay sit here. Do you seriously believe that Santa claus would have the time to go to every one of the house? It's logically impossible. So the Santa Claus, through us, i.e. the parents, gives each of the good children gifts. Why do we feel like giving gifts?
Me: So you bring us the presents? *cringing*
Dad: No! It's like, I feel like giving because he motivates us. I'm just the messenger.
Me: That's not the same thing.
Dad: Magic is not what you believe it is. It is still magical, just not fairy tale magic.

I have never ever forgot this. It's like, highlight of my Christmas.

And I was the one reciting this sermon in school recess, trying to make the non believers believe :D
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 3:36:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't ever recall believing in Santa, I have two older brothers and I think they saw it as their duty to destroy any innocence I might have had as quickly as possible :) I knew almost every swear word I know now when I was five.

Tried to keep the pretence up for a little bit with my own daughter, but she's pretty shrewd and I'm really not very good at lying convincingly, so when she looked me in the eye and asked if he was real, aged 5 or so, she figured it out for herself.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:16:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 4:11:45 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I still believe in Santa Clause.

You can't prove he doesn't exist.

Yes I can.
A: Santa Clause MUST visit every home on Christmas Day, otherwise, he is not santa clause. He even must visit homes of naughty people to give them coal, otherwise, he is not santa clause.

B: I stayed up all night one Christmas years ago and caught my parents layering presents under the tree. Okay,...I said, perhaps Santa will come and give even more. No one came.

C. Santa Clause does not exist. :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:21:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 4:16:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/26/2011 4:11:45 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I still believe in Santa Clause.

You can't prove he doesn't exist.

Yes I can.
A: Santa Clause MUST visit every home on Christmas Day, otherwise, he is not santa clause. He even must visit homes of naughty people to give them coal, otherwise, he is not santa clause.

B: I stayed up all night one Christmas years ago and caught my parents layering presents under the tree. Okay,...I said, perhaps Santa will come and give even more. No one came.

C. Santa Clause does not exist. :)

First premise is false. Santa Clause AFAIK doesn't visit Jews or Muslims. My parents taught me that Santa Clause skips over the houses of bad children.

I'm sorry that your parents would do that. My presents just appeared.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:22:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/25/2011 7:45:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
I just want to see if this is an intellectual thing with people who like to debate, but I have never believed in Santa Clause.

When I was little, I thought that everyone's parents would pay someone who is dressed in a santa clause costume to sneak in through the window and put gifts under the tree. I thought that there were thousands of Santa's and each had to be hired to leave presents at midnight under the tree. This was my "rational" explanation because I didn't believe in the impossible stories that my parents and school were purporting about a fat man that breaks into billions of homes on a flying sleigh within 8 hours.

Perhaps I just had a stunted imagination, but I'd like to get some opinions in here. Did any of you ever actually believe in Santa Clause?

I didn't, but that is probably because my parents never really went with the Santa Clause thing.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:38:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 4:21:12 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 9/26/2011 4:16:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/26/2011 4:11:45 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I still believe in Santa Clause.

You can't prove he doesn't exist.

Yes I can.
A: Santa Clause MUST visit every home on Christmas Day, otherwise, he is not santa clause. He even must visit homes of naughty people to give them coal, otherwise, he is not santa clause.

B: I stayed up all night one Christmas years ago and caught my parents layering presents under the tree. Okay,...I said, perhaps Santa will come and give even more. No one came.

C. Santa Clause does not exist. :)

First premise is false. Santa Clause AFAIK doesn't visit Jews or Muslims. My parents taught me that Santa Clause skips over the houses of bad children.

I'm sorry that your parents would do that. My presents just appeared.

Indeed;
http://www.debate.org...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 4:47:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 4:45:04 PM, feverish wrote:
At the risk of being labelled a nazi, can I politely inquire whether you guys are intentionally miss-spelling Santa Claus?

holy crap he's right! lol...stupid british people and their knit-picky english =.=
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:50:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Apparently I used to call my siblings stupid for believing in Santa Claus and actively tried to dissuade them from their belief.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 4:57:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think I figured out the truth a few years before I was suppose to. I remember trying to enlighten by brother (who was a year and 1/2 younger than me) that our parents were the actual 'Santa'. I was told not to do this because it would spoil the fun for him. I never understood what was so fun about it though. The presents were the point.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 6:44:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I never believed in Santa. My parents made a note to never lie to me about anything.. OR at least, if they did, they did a great job of fooling me.

They told me right away that Santa wasn't real. There was pretty much Jesus, and that was it. At a very young age, without any type of pressing from my parents(Who didn't think the same, but encouraged me to think for myself), I had decided that Halloween was evil, and didn't want to celebrate it.

I was a very funny kid.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Posts: 1,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 7:43:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't believe I ever fully did. I think I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but that I wasn't ever truly convinced. I've always been one to question.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 8:18:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't think I ever believed in Santa. My parents never tried really hard to convince me of his existence. Probably had something to do with them being new immigrants.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 8:35:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Santa is like God, he lives in your heart and never dies. When my son asked me if Santa was real after the kid at school told him Santa wasn't real, that's what I told my son. He knows Santa is the spirit of the season and what it represents not about cold emotionless fact. Santa is alive and well in my heart and my children's to. He knows we buy his presents, but he also knows it is the spirit of giving (Santa) as the reason why.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:23:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Maybe until I was ten... but after a while I came to realize that my parents ate thr cookies and milk and brought the presents out of their closet.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:28:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 8:35:27 AM, sadolite wrote:
Santa is like God, he lives in your heart and never dies. When my son asked me if Santa was real after the kid at school told him Santa wasn't real, that's what I told my son. He knows Santa is the spirit of the season and what it represents not about cold emotionless fact. Santa is alive and well in my heart and my children's to. He knows we buy his presents, but he also knows it is the spirit of giving (Santa) as the reason why.

actually, Christmas is the spirit of BUYING, not giving. To give is a concept that moves beyond inclination of tradition to buy children commercial products. To give has to originate from sheer love, and not that parents don't love their children, but the only reason they buy them gifts is for the tradition, not really out of that inclination of generosity. Generosity does not spontaneously arise in omnipresence come Christmas time, it is something that each person gets at different times and for different reasons, but all out of love.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:50:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 11:28:32 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 8:35:27 AM, sadolite wrote:
Santa is like God, he lives in your heart and never dies. When my son asked me if Santa was real after the kid at school told him Santa wasn't real, that's what I told my son. He knows Santa is the spirit of the season and what it represents not about cold emotionless fact. Santa is alive and well in my heart and my children's to. He knows we buy his presents, but he also knows it is the spirit of giving (Santa) as the reason why.

actually, Christmas is the spirit of BUYING, not giving. To give is a concept that moves beyond inclination of tradition to buy children commercial products. To give has to originate from sheer love, and not that parents don't love their children, but the only reason they buy them gifts is for the tradition, not really out of that inclination of generosity. Generosity does not spontaneously arise in omnipresence come Christmas time, it is something that each person gets at different times and for different reasons, but all out of love.

Now as you can see Santa is clearly dead in his heart. I pitty any children you may have.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:54:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/29/2011 11:50:19 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 9/29/2011 11:28:32 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/29/2011 8:35:27 AM, sadolite wrote:
Santa is like God, he lives in your heart and never dies. When my son asked me if Santa was real after the kid at school told him Santa wasn't real, that's what I told my son. He knows Santa is the spirit of the season and what it represents not about cold emotionless fact. Santa is alive and well in my heart and my children's to. He knows we buy his presents, but he also knows it is the spirit of giving (Santa) as the reason why.

actually, Christmas is the spirit of BUYING, not giving. To give is a concept that moves beyond inclination of tradition to buy children commercial products. To give has to originate from sheer love, and not that parents don't love their children, but the only reason they buy them gifts is for the tradition, not really out of that inclination of generosity. Generosity does not spontaneously arise in omnipresence come Christmas time, it is something that each person gets at different times and for different reasons, but all out of love.

Now as you can see Santa is clearly dead in his heart. I pitty any children you may have.

I submit that you could suck the joy out of a parent and a new born baby.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:09:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I did believe in Santa Claus 'till I was like, 10 or so, maybe because since when I was 5, my Mom gave me and my brother this piece of paper and write down the stuffs we want for Christmas, and instead of mailing it to the North Pole, we burn it instead, and I imagined the smoke reaching the North Pole. Man, I was so gullible back then...

But I did get he presents I wanted, except for the expensive ones, where my mom mentioned that Santa has no money to buy for.
koolcat
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 12:35:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
yes but when i was 6 my uncle dressed up like santa and we had a ladder that leaned aginst the house...so he was up there and fell off and he died that day and i thought he was the real santa so when he died i thought santa was gone forever