Jump to topic:

Road Pricing in Cities

Benzin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 6:26:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In Denmark it's up for discussion to insert a road pricing ring around Copenhagen to bring down the pollution. There's a lot of different opinions on it and we would like to get an international perspective. Good/bad idea? Is it or is it not working?

It's for a school project so we hope to get a lot of answers from all of you.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:35:13 PM
At 9/26/2011 6:26:17 AM, Benzin wrote:
In Denmark it's up for discussion to insert a road pricing ring around Copenhagen to bring down the pollution. There's a lot of different opinions on it and we would like to get an international perspective. Good/bad idea? Is it or is it not working?

It's for a school project so we hope to get a lot of answers from all of you.

Road pricing (tolls) is common in many European countries. Here in London we have tolls on new motorways, bridges, tunnels and any car entering central London also has to pay GBP12.00 per day (EUR16.00).

I like it because it means there are less yummy mummies on the school run, housewives on their way to the shops, old folks on their way to visit relatives, etc. to clog up the city's over-congested roads and I can get where I want to go quicker.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 10:28:53 PM
At 9/28/2011 10:09:09 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Toll gates -> increase traffic -> increased time on road ->more smog.

Electronic passes and scanners -> No toll gates.

Tolls -> ability to create incentives for drivers to drive at uncrowded times -> decrease traffic -> decreased time on road -> less smog
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:06:40 AM
At 9/28/2011 10:28:53 PM, mongeese wrote:

Most people don't use electronic passes and scanners especially if they use the toll gate infrequently.

Tolls -> ability to create incentives for drivers to drive at uncrowded times -> decrease traffic -> decreased time on road -> less smog

When everyone tends to work 9-5, there's a tendency to be traffic at 5. Just saying.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:56:23 AM
At 9/29/2011 12:06:40 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/28/2011 10:28:53 PM, mongeese wrote:

Most people don't use electronic passes and scanners especially if they use the toll gate infrequently.

Electronic systems can be implemented. If a single or a few lanes are left open for manual collection, the people who use the electronic systems will be rewarded with less traffic, thus incentivizing switching over to the faster system.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I also question your claim of "most."
"Currently over 80% of Illinois' 1.4 million daily drivers use an I-PASS."

When everyone tends to work 9-5, there's a tendency to be traffic at 5. Just saying.

Which is exactly why tolls can fix this. If you lower the tolls for before/after rush hour, you redirect traffic towards those times.