Jump to topic:

British government the founding culture 4 usa

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 10:39:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
We're having a guest speaker come in for my government class on friday. He's going to be talking about the British History of Government, and how that was the founding culture for America. He's also going to talk a little on the constitution.

We each have to ask five him five questions about the subject. I'm not desperate but any interesting ideas I should ask him?

Also why do we still not have a history forum!?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:11:19 AM
At 9/28/2011 10:39:01 AM, phantom wrote:
We're having a guest speaker come in for my government class on friday. He's going to be talking about the British History of Government, and how that was the founding culture for America. He's also going to talk a little on the constitution.

We each have to ask five him five questions about the subject. I'm not desperate but any interesting ideas I should ask him?

what does he mean by founding culture?
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:15:13 AM
At 9/28/2011 11:11:19 AM, headphonegut wrote:

Exactly. Is he refering to modern culture or past culture.

Ask him why their speaker of the house is not allowed to speak.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:34:02 AM

If you read and digest chapter 2 of Bill Bryson's Made in America you will get top marks, I promise.

Get it out of the library before someone else nabs it (it's not online).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:55:03 AM
At 9/28/2011 11:15:13 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

He is allowed to speak... thats like his job...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 11:58:21 AM
At 9/28/2011 11:55:03 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I should have been more clear, the speaker of the house of commons (I guess you have multiple speaker of the houses).
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:12:38 PM
At 9/28/2011 11:58:21 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/28/2011 11:55:03 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I should have been more clear, the speaker of the house of commons (I guess you have multiple speaker of the houses).

Still allowed to speak, still his primary function.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:12:51 PM
didn't people leave britain because of britain's culture? you know the whole catholic thing do what I say or else and the unitary system of govt. seems odd that our culture was based on theirs oh well!
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:26:41 PM
At 9/28/2011 12:12:51 PM, headphonegut wrote:
didn't people leave britain because of britain's culture? you know the whole catholic thing do what I say or else and the unitary system of govt. seems odd that our culture was based on theirs oh well!

The first waves of emigration from the British Isles to America was made up mainly of puritans, Quakers and other religious extremists who were unhappy in living in a tolerant society where freedoms of speech and expression were protected from religious zealots.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 12:35:32 PM
At 9/28/2011 12:26:41 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

The first waves of emigration from the British Isles to America was made up mainly of puritans, Quakers and other religious extremists who were unhappy in living in a tolerant society where freedoms of speech and expression were protected from religious zealots.

Tolerant society? sure if you count discrimination and religious persecution tolerant absolutely. Political refugees also came to america. I'm not sure of the english english translation for tolerance is but obviously it's not the same
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 1:49:12 PM

Puritans by definition felt that the English Reformation had not gone far enough, and that the Church of England was tolerant of practices which they associated with the Catholic Church. They formed into and identified with various religious groups advocating greater "purity" of worship and doctrine, as well as personal and group piety. Puritans adopted a Reformed theology and in that sense were Calvinists (as many of their earlier opponents were, too), but also took note of radical views critical of Zwingli in Zurich and Calvin in Geneva. In church polity, some advocated for separation from all other Christians, in favor of autonomous gathered churches. These separatist and independent strands of Puritanism became prominent in the 1640s, when the supporters of a presbyterian polity in the Westminster Assembly were unable to forge a new English national church.

Very interesting!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:08:50 PM

I admit I'm a bit confused too.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 3:18:08 PM

What, do you guys have Howard Zinn writing your history or something? Come on, your island's history is littered with horrific religious intolerance. I wouldn't exactly call Cromwell an inspiration for Martin Luther King Jr.

@OP, ask why they invaded in 1812 and burned our capital, rat bastards.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 3:36:50 PM
At 9/28/2011 3:18:08 PM, innomen wrote:
What, do you guys have Howard Zinn writing your history or something? Come on, your island's history is littered with horrific religious intolerance. I wouldn't exactly call Cromwell an inspiration for Martin Luther King Jr.
I love Americans and Englishman picking at each other!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 3:42:17 PM
At 9/28/2011 3:36:50 PM, Mirza wrote:

Me too.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:08:56 PM

um, we intially invaded in 1812.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:17:31 PM

i doubt that seriously. Usually when there is a state church, there is always some type of descrimination against thoes of a different belief system.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:19:11 PM
At 9/28/2011 3:42:17 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/28/2011 3:36:50 PM, Mirza wrote:

Me too.

Same here.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:20:02 PM
At 9/28/2011 4:08:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That is correct. lol

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:30:43 PM

Um, after our private ships were being pressed into their navy, and the cargo was being confiscated - stolen, you know like pirates do.

Besides, it was Canada for God's sakes, who really cares about Canada?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:41:30 PM
At 9/28/2011 4:30:43 PM, innomen wrote:

Um, after our private ships were being pressed into their navy, and the cargo was being confiscated - stolen, you know like pirates do.

Hey, we all did it. Impressment was nothing more than a Navy Draft. And I still don't quite understand. They were kidnapping our merchant salors (whom they still viewed at Bristish because they didn't recognize us as a nation yet), so we invade Canada?

We did enough to invade it, lol.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 4:51:03 PM
At 9/28/2011 4:41:30 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/28/2011 4:30:43 PM, innomen wrote:

Hey, we all did it. Impressment was nothing more than a Navy Draft. And I still don't quite understand. They were kidnapping our merchant salors (whom they still viewed at Bristish because they didn't recognize us as a nation yet), so we invade Canada?

We did enough to invade it, lol.

Of course they recognized us as a nation as per the Treaty of Paris, Kripes John Adams was recognized as the representative of the new nation. Pffft, that's an act of war. We invaded Canada because that's all we could do because we had nothing for a navy at the time, but we did have an army, so that's why they went that route.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 5:33:21 PM
didn't people leave britain because of britain's culture? you know the whole catholic thing do what I say or else and the unitary system of govt. seems odd that our culture was based on theirs oh well!:

It's no mystery that the majority of the US' cultural influences can be directly traced back to England. For instance, but not limited to, English Common Law is the foundational basis of American law. More importantly, US citizens were British citizens for quite a long time before it gained its independence. They weren't fleeing the English culture, they were expanding it.

The motivations to leave for many people, however, was to own land and flee repressive religious institutions... not the English culture. They WERE English.

I'm not really sure why you are incredulous about this historical fact.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:19:31 AM
I will say this: The British generally left their colonies a better place than what they found, whereas the Spanish tended to just suck every resource out of their colonies and leave the places and the people in crappy condition. The British seemed to create true extensions of their own country; whereas the Spaniards would just look at their colonies as a place to pick clean, same with the Portuguese.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 2:37:00 AM
At 9/28/2011 4:17:31 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

i doubt that seriously. Usually when there is a state church, there is always some type of descrimination against thoes of a different belief system.

The state church variously discriminated and was discriminated against, thats the Reformation for you!