Jump to topic:

Pre/post Agriculture

Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 3:47:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Was the development of agriculture good, or has it done more damage than good. Where we better of in a hunting and gathering lifestyle?
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:17:48 PM
At 10/12/2011 8:01:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Does anybody seriously believe pre-agricultural society was better?

I do, not saying farmers are evil and we should kill half the population to reduce population issues, but we should slowly start to move to becoming hunter and gathers again, but still not dismiss advancing technology and intellectual considerations.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:28:50 PM
At 10/12/2011 8:17:48 PM, Mikeee wrote:

I do, not saying farmers are evil and we should kill half the population to reduce population issues, but we should slowly start to move to becoming hunter and gathers again, but still not dismiss advancing technology and intellectual considerations.

High murder rates, low mortality, and always at risk of starvation is not something I would go for. If you want to live in a 'hunter-gather' like society, there's nothing stopping you from venturing off to the woods.

Yes, a hunter gathering society would cause billions to die. The world's population cannot come close to entering a hunter gathering society. Developing nations, poorer nations, actually have population explosions, while developed nations have a stagnant population. Many european nations, have a death rate higher than birth rate.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:48:43 PM
At 10/12/2011 8:28:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/12/2011 8:17:48 PM, Mikeee wrote:

High murder rates, low mortality, and always at risk of starvation is not something I would go for. If you want to live in a 'hunter-gather' like society, there's nothing stopping you from venturing off to the woods.

Yes, a hunter gathering society would cause billions to die. The world's population cannot come close to entering a hunter gathering society. Developing nations, poorer nations, actually have population explosions, while developed nations have a stagnant population. Many european nations, have a death rate higher than birth rate.

With modern technology, many of the problems of hunting and gathering would be solved, such as food preservation and protection from the elements (waterproof material would have really helped), water filtration and purification, better hunting weaponry (improved and new ones), transportation, medicine, etc.

Turning back to hunter and gathers also dose not mean we have to become nomadic again, it is very possible that we could still have a complex community that happens to kill wildlife and forage for food, rather than getting domestic plants and animals from a farm. If replaced all the farms we have with habitats for wild game, and we kept killing to a moderate level, it would not be that unlikely.