Jump to topic:

Cut:Slicing Through the Myths of Circumcision

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 2:34:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here is a very good documentary by Eli Ungar-Sargon on circumcision for anyone interested. I've gotten through 20 min so far. One thing the documentary mentions that I didn't know is that the Christian west viewed circumcision as a bizarre Jewish tradition until the 19th century (I think I'm remembering this correctly). At that time, it was recommended as a preventative against masturbation. After the masturbation excuse lost its appeal, other excuses for the procedure were put on offer, viz.: to protect against different forms of cancer, and now, as has been argued in a few debates here, as a preventative against HIV.

Check out PZ Myers' blog entry about the documentary, as well, for a good write-up.
http://scienceblogs.com...
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 5:14:32 PM
You could talk about sex on DDO but once you start talking about cutting the foreskin of a penis, everyone gets shy. Tsk Tsk tsk
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 8:22:42 PM
you don't seem to have much to say either, Marquis. It's not that you can't discuss it here, it's that not many people care. Most people who aren't cut aren't planning on being cut and don't care about cutting unless homosexual or they've been teased in the locker room and are sensitive.

Most people who are cut can't do anything about it, don't really care anyway unless butthurt for some reason (maybe the procedure was screwed up, maybe a girl teased them since they wouldn't get teased in the locker over such a thing, maybe they spend a lot of time looking at uncut cocks and feel inadequate...)

I'm cut. I wouldn't cut a child in the unlikely event I were to have one, but I don't get all pissy about it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 10:37:28 PM
You're right. I forgot to say that I don't think it matters. But then again I'm not gay or female. Maybe its just a cosmetic thing. And since we're all talking penises I'm uncut as is my son.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive