Jump to topic:

Best Charity

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 6:23:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, what do you suppose is the best charity to give to? There are various lists out there showing the most reliable, and though that definitely plays a part, I'm also talking about what makes the best difference. Charities that give dairy animals to poor families seem like they may be really successful. The animals reproduce and so forth. Maybe medical research would be better. One breakthrough could save millions of lives. What do you think?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 6:57:40 PM
At 10/21/2011 6:23:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
So, what do you suppose is the best charity to give to? There are various lists out there showing the most reliable, and though that definitely plays a part, I'm also talking about what makes the best difference. Charities that give dairy animals to poor families seem like they may be really successful. The animals reproduce and so forth. Maybe medical research would be better. One breakthrough could save millions of lives. What do you think?

Many poor people don't have the land to support dairy animals, nor the money to feed them and take care of them.

The best charities are those that have a focus on training people and getting them decent jobs. Ideally focusing on the unemployed and homeless. Part this may require temporary housing (doesn't matter how qualified someone is, if they look and smell like a hobo, they won't get any job), drug and alcohol rehab if needed, and training (for things like auto mechanic or what not).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 6:59:59 PM
The best charities are the ones that reduce poverty through policy, and not a temporary splash of money that may or may not be pocketed by a corrupt state for the sake of greed.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 7:24:21 PM
Can I get some names? I'd like to do a fundraiser but I need to know that's it counting as much as possible.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 11:17:07 AM
At 10/21/2011 7:24:21 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Can I get some names? I'd like to do a fundraiser but I need to know that's it counting as much as possible.:

There's a lot of reputable one's and others that masquerade as such. For instance, I never donate clothes to Goodwill because they use those proceeds for themselves more than dumping that money in to poverty. The Salvation Army, however, gets most of my donated clothes because they have a proven record of dispensing their proceeds appropriately.

And, no, I'm not endorsing the Salavation Army as the best charity. Different charities focus on different needs.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 2:44:07 PM
There's no need for charities. The state always takes a big chunk of whatever income I, or anyone, earns and does its state magic and makes everything better
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 3:29:17 PM
The political ones will be most important but I'm not sure which ones are most effective. Among charities that aren't just about lobbying for political positions, Planned Parenthood is probably your best bet. More ****ing and less poor people born certainly makes the world a better place to live.

Not that I advise being charitable unless you're very rich.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 5:23:36 PM
At 10/22/2011 2:43:17 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 10/22/2011 2:14:23 PM, Wnope wrote:
Anyone other than PETA and jihadists.

What's the difference?

Jihadists have a relatively more realistic ultimate goal.
PeterP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 6:55:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Non-profit organizations, surprisingly, really pay a lot of cash to raise money, so much so that little, in some cases, really goes toward the cause the charity asserts to be working towards. For instance, Bloomberg recently found in a study that InfoCision, a telemarketing company, was pocketing up to 100 percent of the contributed funds soliciting donations for several charities. Source of article: take a review of https://personalmoneynetwork.com...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:18:51 PM
The Human Fund.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:45:09 PM
At 10/21/2011 6:57:40 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/21/2011 6:23:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Many poor people don't have the land to support dairy animals, nor the money to feed them and take care of them.

The best charities are those that have a focus on training people and getting them decent jobs. Ideally focusing on the unemployed and homeless. Part this may require temporary housing (doesn't matter how qualified someone is, if they look and smell like a hobo, they won't get any job), drug and alcohol rehab if needed, and training (for things like auto mechanic or what not).

Not to plug my charity or anything, but that's exactly what we do. We give out ten scholarships for impoverished teens each year, and literally all of the alumni are now employed, and their incomes range from two to ten times as much as their parents combined incomes. It's the whole train people to become independent through education thing.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:49:41 PM
I'm a fan of UNICEF myself.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 8:59:30 PM
At 10/22/2011 11:17:07 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 10/21/2011 7:24:21 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Can I get some names? I'd like to do a fundraiser but I need to know that's it counting as much as possible.:

There's a lot of reputable one's and others that masquerade as such. For instance, I never donate clothes to Goodwill because they use those proceeds for themselves more than dumping that money in to poverty. The Salvation Army, however, gets most of my donated clothes because they have a proven record of dispensing their proceeds appropriately.

And, no, I'm not endorsing the Salavation Army as the best charity. Different charities focus on different needs.

Goodwill gets a bad rep from a fake chain email with wrong info on it.

http://www.snopes.com...

It's a non-profit which provides job training and services to disadvantaged and disabled folks--the money from sales goes to that.

Salvation Army is a direct charity with an 82% efficiency rating.

Though my grandfather always preferred them to the Red Cross because in WWII the Red Cross sold candy bars...while the Salvation Army gave them out.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 9:01:07 PM
At 7/26/2013 8:49:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I'm a fan of UNICEF myself.

I always get United Way and UNICEF confused. Not their fault, but I always think United Way (a less-efficient charity) when I read UNICEF and have to double-take.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 10:28:42 PM
Save The Children

www.savethechildren.org

Top notch charity. Can specify what area in the world you want your funds to go to. They do education, nutrition, protection, and much more for kids around the world including the US.

Most money goes right to the people they serve, and they are the real deal. They even get into the countries that many other charitable causes can't because they stay out of politics.

It is such a well regarded charity.