Jump to topic:

Things that restore your faith in humanity

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:12:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As some of you know, I'm the biggest fan of my fellow human beings.

However, sometimes I see something and think "Well, maybe everything isn't so bad..."

So, DDO, what things restore your faith in humanity? They could be massive things or the tiniest things...

I'll go first: Seeing little kids eating sushi.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:26:37 PM
•Looking at a marvelous painting (naturalistic, realistic, Symbolic, and so on)
•Watching ballet, or operas [Verdi's are particularly my favorite…]
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:47:10 PM
At 10/26/2011 8:26:37 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
•Looking at a marvelous painting (naturalistic, realistic, Symbolic, and so on)
•Watching ballet, or operas [Verdi's are particularly my favorite…]

Whenever I see Verdi's name I instantly picture Pavarotti singing "La donna e mobile."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:53:08 PM
Sorry to be a downey but...
faith and humanity is the same sentence is oxymoronic.

Throughout our existence, mankind has always fought each other. There has not been a single time when there was not a war, genocide, or oppression. Mankind is doomed to fail, eventually.

Leaders have tried to restore peace, but it always fails in the long run.

So in essence, my outlook for humanity is bleak at best.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:55:55 PM
At 10/26/2011 8:53:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Throughout our existence, mankind has always fought each other. There has not been a single time when there was not a war, genocide, or oppression. Mankind is doomed to fail, eventually.

Cool story, bro.

Muh threads
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:03:02 PM
At 10/26/2011 8:55:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/26/2011 8:53:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Cool story, bro.

You said to post what restores my faith in humanity.
In my case, it is nothing.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:04:58 PM
At 10/26/2011 8:12:47 PM, tvellalott wrote:

However, sometimes I see something and think "Well, maybe everything isn't so bad..."

So, DDO, what things restore your faith in humanity? They could be massive things or the tiniest things...

2,000 volunteers showing up to help look for a missing autistic kid.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:16:23 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:03:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You didn't post 'nothing'. You posted a bunch of emo crap which just hurt my eyes to read. You're completely killing the spirit of this thread with your negativity. Did you read the first thing I said? I fvcking hate people.

If you can seriously go through life and not see a single good thing, you should just off yourself.

Anyway, I'll continue:
Old people holding hands and walking down the street together.

Muh threads
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:22:59 PM
Honestly can't think of anything right now. All I see is increasing dependence and angst.

I mean really, what has humanity done in the last ten years that has made life better. By better I mean freer to move about and engage in commerce. And pursue life's dreams without interference and over regulation. My outlook on humanity as a whole is pretty glum. Humanity has grown to feel entitled just for being born. Pathetic if you ask me.

But,there's always tomorrow to look forward to and things might be better.

Didn't want to end on a negative.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:25:28 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:22:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
Honestly can't think of anything right now. All I see is increasing dependence and angst.

I mean really, what has humanity done in the last ten years that has made life better. By better I mean freer to move about and engage in commerce. And pursue life's dreams without interference and over regulation. My outlook on humanity as a whole is pretty glum. Humanity has grown to feel entitled just for being born. Pathetic if you ask me.

FFS. Surely you see a little kid with a big chocolate smile on his face and think "That's nice."

Seriously people. I thought I was negative.

Muh threads
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:39:47 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:16:23 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/26/2011 9:03:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You didn't post 'nothing'. You posted a bunch of emo crap which just hurt my eyes to read. You're completely killing the spirit of this thread with your negativity. Did you read the first thing I said? I fvcking hate people.

If you can seriously go through life and not see a single good thing, you should just off yourself.

Anyway, I'll continue:
Old people holding hands and walking down the street together.

I am not emo. I just see the truth.

Anyways, I quote
"As some of you know, I'm the biggest fan of my fellow human beings."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:42:21 PM
Similar to MiG--art/artistic expression.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:42:31 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:25:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

FFS. Surely you see a little kid with a big chocolate smile on his face and think "That's nice."

Many kids grow up and become evil tyrants and dictators, bums, drug addicts, terrorists and all around dependent useless people. Kids are ignorant and innocent. They don't have the ability to comprehend despotism evil and so on. Using kids as a measure of faith in humanity is a red herring.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:43:10 PM
(sigh) A thread that at least emphasizes some positivity is now being turned to harsh truth....

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:44:28 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:42:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Similar to MiG--art/artistic expression.

But, as far as little things go--seeing a happy family together uplifts me a bit.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:46:33 PM
music.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:47:19 PM
Imagining beautiful sights--such as colorful umbrellas in the air--also uplift me, especially when it reminds me of the some of the better products of human imagination...

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:51:01 PM
At 10/26/2011 9:42:31 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/26/2011 9:25:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Many kids grow up and become evil tyrants and dictators, bums, drug addicts, terrorists and all around dependent useless people. Kids are ignorant and innocent. They don't have the ability to comprehend despotism evil and so on. Using kids as a measure of faith in humanity is a red herring.

The reasons why people use kids to depict their faith in humanity is for exactly the reasons that you said to attack the opposite side.
They are the epitome and innocence and naivety. There are no kid tyrants, bums, or drug addicts. Its true that some will turn out like that, but their innocence brings the weak and feeble minded to accept them a alleviation of humanity.
Thing about it.. Who is most likely going to make you be happy about society? A regular child or a regular adult?
As a persons life progresses, they develop flaws and incoherencies which later translate into "non-innoncence and non-naivety"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 10:31:12 PM

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 10:54:56 PM
At 10/26/2011 10:50:39 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I have no fairth in humanity.

It is difficult. Perhaps that there is some insurgency in libertarianism in our generation, but overall I'd say that the millennium generation has got to be the worst generation in the US ever.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:00:10 PM
people are generally ok... but, yes, little kids are better.

seeing cute kids with good parents I suppose is what makes me feel best bout people.

however.. regarding your enjoying seeing an old couple holding hands, I must say...

I don't generally much like old people :/
They're usually the worst kind of whatever they've turned out to be.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 11:59:17 PM
1. I saw a kid take a tray from the counter at McDonalds, waddle over to the table and calmly thank his mother for taking him there, then he gave her a chicken nugget.

2. Two teenagers were walking by the hospital I work and in passing, one said "I just realized I'm a lot dumber than I thought I was".

3. I saw a stack of coupons in the wallet of someone my age while lining up for the subway.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 12:05:51 AM
I feel more comfortable around old people than around young people. Young people are always doing things to try to prove themselves, to validate a self-image they're too young to have. Worse, they're confrontational about it.

Old people have been through hell and back. They have every right to be angry. As privileged as their children and grandchildren are, most of them are spoiled wretches who respect or revere their elders. No one cares about the value of experience because of the ease with which one can access information.

There's this sense of unjustified entitlement that seems to get worse with each generation. It generates so much stress and hate. It breaks families, it breaks couples.

That's why I've lost faith in humanity.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 12:18:08 AM
The only thing thing that restores my faith in humanity is knowing that we will possibly create an entity that replaces us as the dominant lifeforms on this planet.

Wait... Faith in humanity to do what?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 5:19:32 AM
Last month I watched a news clip of about 8 people lifting a burning SUV to save a trapped motorcyclist. Why would they do that? They risked there own lives for one man. The world is not all evil. I will never believe that. It's just bad actions are 1000x more noticeable than the good ones. For every murderer out there, there is the person volunteering at the homeless shelter. The children's hospital. The animal clinic. I, myself? Well I'm an evil bastard. I'd slit your throat If I could gain from it. My best friend Leena however, heart of gold. She gives me hope.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:05:36 AM

I never lost my faith in humanity.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 12:10:34 PM
Seeing a nice old couple laughing and telling dirty jokes.

Seeing someone stop in the road to grab an animal BEFORE it gets hit

Music festivals

Seeing people who attempt to spread the truth without fear of the repercussions (ie wikileaks people)

Seeing people who have deadly diseases continue to give to others with every ounce of their soul (my mom)

Hearing people crack up in a public place

Having a random conversation with a stranger
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...