Total Posts:140|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are People Born Gay ?

inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:13:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.

I object to the entire concept of someone being born a certain way vis-a-vis sexuality. Sexuality (and, as a consequence, sexual identity) is something that is part of a human's psychological development. I don't believe people are born with a developed sense of sexuality. That's part and parcel with puberty.

However, that is not to say there aren't factors which ultimately influence sexuality that are either A) genetic in nature or B) already set at the time of birth (conditions in the womb/embryonic development). Maybe this is a quibble, but I think it's an important point to make.

But this isn't an issue of sexuality. It's an issue of gender identity, a separate issue. The idea that homosexuals necessarily, or even commonly, identify with the opposite gender is just a stereotype. Regardless, gender identity has to do with social norms. The fact that a boy may like the color pink is, itself, indicative of nothing. The fact that society associates pink with feminity is a component of society that the boy has no control over. Yet, when a boy likes pink, people get their panties in a twist. It's stupid.

Like sexuality, gender role/identity is something that develops over time. Unlike sexuality, it is something that is primarily learned. Boys like boy things because, one way or another, overtly, covertly, explicitly, implicitly, consciously, subconsciously, deliberately, accidentally, they are guided into the role for boys that is normal in that society. Since it is learned, there should be no expectation that a young child should somehow "know" what his role, as a boy, is as expected of him by society. In fact, we should expect these kinds of deviations. The boy likes what he likes and probably doesn't understand why anyone else should give a rat's behind, let alone actually have a problem with it.

It's much ado about nothing. But just remember to wash your hands after playing with him, so you don't catch teh ghey.
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:21:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 11:13:18 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.

I object to the entire concept of someone being born a certain way vis-a-vis sexuality. Sexuality (and, as a consequence, sexual identity) is something that is part of a human's psychological development. I don't believe people are born with a developed sense of sexuality. That's part and parcel with puberty.

However, that is not to say there aren't factors which ultimately influence sexuality that are either A) genetic in nature or B) already set at the time of birth (conditions in the womb/embryonic development). Maybe this is a quibble, but I think it's an important point to make.

But this isn't an issue of sexuality. It's an issue of gender identity, a separate issue. The idea that homosexuals necessarily, or even commonly, identify with the opposite gender is just a stereotype. Regardless, gender identity has to do with social norms. The fact that a boy may like the color pink is, itself, indicative of nothing. The fact that society associates pink with feminity is a component of society that the boy has no control over. Yet, when a boy likes pink, people get their panties in a twist. It's stupid.

Like sexuality, gender role/identity is something that develops over time. Unlike sexuality, it is something that is primarily learned. Boys like boy things because, one way or another, overtly, covertly, explicitly, implicitly, consciously, subconsciously, deliberately, accidentally, they are guided into the role for boys that is normal in that society. Since it is learned, there should be no expectation that a young child should somehow "know" what his role, as a boy, is as expected of him by society. In fact, we should expect these kinds of deviations. The boy likes what he likes and probably doesn't understand why anyone else should give a rat's behind, let alone actually have a problem with it.

It's much ado about nothing. But just remember to wash your hands after playing with him, so you don't catch teh ghey.

I read what you just wrote. It is nothing but secular crap.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:34:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 11:21:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 10/27/2011 11:13:18 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.

I object to the entire concept of someone being born a certain way vis-a-vis sexuality. Sexuality (and, as a consequence, sexual identity) is something that is part of a human's psychological development. I don't believe people are born with a developed sense of sexuality. That's part and parcel with puberty.

However, that is not to say there aren't factors which ultimately influence sexuality that are either A) genetic in nature or B) already set at the time of birth (conditions in the womb/embryonic development). Maybe this is a quibble, but I think it's an important point to make.

But this isn't an issue of sexuality. It's an issue of gender identity, a separate issue. The idea that homosexuals necessarily, or even commonly, identify with the opposite gender is just a stereotype. Regardless, gender identity has to do with social norms. The fact that a boy may like the color pink is, itself, indicative of nothing. The fact that society associates pink with feminity is a component of society that the boy has no control over. Yet, when a boy likes pink, people get their panties in a twist. It's stupid.

Like sexuality, gender role/identity is something that develops over time. Unlike sexuality, it is something that is primarily learned. Boys like boy things because, one way or another, overtly, covertly, explicitly, implicitly, consciously, subconsciously, deliberately, accidentally, they are guided into the role for boys that is normal in that society. Since it is learned, there should be no expectation that a young child should somehow "know" what his role, as a boy, is as expected of him by society. In fact, we should expect these kinds of deviations. The boy likes what he likes and probably doesn't understand why anyone else should give a rat's behind, let alone actually have a problem with it.

It's much ado about nothing. But just remember to wash your hands after playing with him, so you don't catch teh ghey.

I read what you just wrote.

Thank you for telling me this. Otherwise, I might think that you just skimmed through it, saw that it involved individual, indepedent thought that didn't precisely mirror your own prejudiced beliefs and dismiss it as "secular crap" without actually processing what was being said.

It is nothing but secular crap.

Oh...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 5:28:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The vast majority of traits have both a biological and environmental component. Homosexuality is no different in my opinion. It's no secret that our perception of beauty changes based on our environment.

To be crude, some people are born with "gay" switches and their environment decides whether or not it is turned on.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:24:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 5:28:35 PM, Kleptin wrote:
The vast majority of traits have both a biological and environmental component. Homosexuality is no different in my opinion. It's no secret that our perception of beauty changes based on our environment.

To be crude, some people are born with "gay" switches and their environment decides whether or not it is turned on.

That's under the assumption of a dichotemical (I make up my own vocabulary sometimes, sorry) sense of sexuality.

Unless, of course, this applies to all other sexual identities...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:31:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.

First of all gays are not always feminine. Gays also come in all shapes and sizes from very different backgrounds so it is impossible to pinpoint some trauma that commonly causes gays. As for the devil and spiritual disconnection, neither of those can cause someone to be gay. Why is it so unbelievable that people should naturally desire the same sex? It happens all the time in animal kingdom.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:29:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:55:53 AM, inferno wrote:
I think that this is an inherited feeling that people sometimes get when they are young. For whatever odd reason, they feel drawn to things that those of the opposite sex are attracted to. Look at the little boy from Colorado for example.
He wants to join the Girl Scouts Of America now. But the thing is that he is a male, and they do not allow boys to mingle around with the girls in this organizations.
That is why we have Boy Scouts. His mom says that her son likes to play with girl things, and wear girls clothing. They showed him on the cable news channels, and he was wearing a wig. Now correct me if I am wrong here. This kid seems to be a little bit confused about his sexuality. I dont think he was born this way, personally. I think this may have come from some sort of trauma, or spiritual disconnection. That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.

Its because of people like you inferno, its because of people like you...............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 10:49:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
That means he may be under the influence of Satan. Yes, that is what i said. Its called Lost Of Personal Identity.
Anyway. What do you think about this.:

You can't deny that some people are born with parts of both genders. So if humans can be born with penises and breasts, how much more difficult would it be if they were born with a different hormone (im)balance in the brain that accounts for their sexual preference?

So if Satan makes people gay, whose fault is it when they're born transgendered?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:07:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 11:13:18 AM, drafterman wrote:
I object to the entire concept of someone being born a certain way vis-a-vis sexuality. Sexuality (and, as a consequence, sexual identity) is something that is part of a human's psychological development. I don't believe people are born with a developed sense of sexuality. That's part and parcel with puberty.

However, that is not to say there aren't factors which ultimately influence sexuality that are either A) genetic in nature or B) already set at the time of birth (conditions in the womb/embryonic development). Maybe this is a quibble, but I think it's an important point to make.

But this isn't an issue of sexuality. It's an issue of gender identity, a separate issue. The idea that homosexuals necessarily, or even commonly, identify with the opposite gender is just a stereotype. Regardless, gender identity has to do with social norms. The fact that a boy may like the color pink is, itself, indicative of nothing. The fact that society associates pink with feminity is a component of society that the boy has no control over. Yet, when a boy likes pink, people get their panties in a twist. It's stupid.

Like sexuality, gender role/identity is something that develops over time. Unlike sexuality, it is something that is primarily learned. Boys like boy things because, one way or another, overtly, covertly, explicitly, implicitly, consciously, subconsciously, deliberately, accidentally, they are guided into the role for boys that is normal in that society. Since it is learned, there should be no expectation that a young child should somehow "know" what his role, as a boy, is as expected of him by society. In fact, we should expect these kinds of deviations. The boy likes what he likes and probably doesn't understand why anyone else should give a rat's behind, let alone actually have a problem with it.

It's much ado about nothing. But just remember to wash your hands after playing with him, so you don't catch teh ghey.

This, exactly.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:08:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 10:49:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You can't deny that some people are born with parts of both genders. So if humans can be born with penises and breasts, how much more difficult would it be if they were born with a different hormone (im)balance in the brain that accounts for their sexual preference?

Sex =/= Gender. Sex is biological; Gender is a social construct.

So if Satan makes people gay, whose fault is it when they're born transgendered?

I'm also curious...
President of DDO
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:13:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You know what would be an interesting social experiment? Finding some way to study homosexual society with no contact to heterosexuals. Is the stereotype of gay men being more effeminate the result of them taking on social values attached with attracting men? What about the stereotype of lesbians being excessively butch or macho? What would be different?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:14:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 3:08:43 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 10/28/2011 10:49:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You can't deny that some people are born with parts of both genders. So if humans can be born with penises and breasts, how much more difficult would it be if they were born with a different hormone (im)balance in the brain that accounts for their sexual preference?

Sex =/= Gender. Sex is biological; Gender is a social construct.


How feminine would I have to act to act to be considered of the female gender. Would liking celiene dion, disliking sports, and enjoying romantic comedies qualify me for the female gender :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:17:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 3:14:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/28/2011 3:08:43 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 10/28/2011 10:49:53 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You can't deny that some people are born with parts of both genders. So if humans can be born with penises and breasts, how much more difficult would it be if they were born with a different hormone (im)balance in the brain that accounts for their sexual preference?

Sex =/= Gender. Sex is biological; Gender is a social construct.


How feminine would I have to act to act to be considered of the female gender. Would liking celiene dion, disliking sports, and enjoying romantic comedies qualify me for the female gender :p.

You're a full blown lesbian, dk.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:20:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What it obviously is not is a conscious choice. I can't even imagine waking up one morning and thinking "Very well, today I will decide to be attracted to members of the same sex as myself".
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:36:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't believe that homosexuality is a state. I believe that it is a preference.

Therefore, I do not believe that it is hereditary. Thus, people are not born gay.

In any case, how could you possibly attain a sexual orientation before you have the capacity for sex?

Are people born with fetishes? Are people born promiscuous?

The real question is, why is whoever random people are having sex with and why any of your damned business?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 3:54:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nature and nurture. A person is influenced by his environment in many ways. His behavior and mentality is severely influenced by the environment, for example. This suggests in clear ways that one's sexuality is also something that is influenced by the environment.

Some studies show that gays might have different brain structures. This is correlation and not necessarily causation. It might be that a gay person has a brain structure similar to that of the opposite gender, but that might just mean that it opened the way for him to be gay, not that it actually cause his homosexuality. For example, a person might be born very intelligent, but not be smart at all. This shows that his intellect enabled him to be smart, but not that it directly lead to him being smart (as the example suggests).

The retarded question, can a person choose to be gay, is outdated. I being an opposer of homosexual acts wouldn't say it is a choice. No group of people are stupid enough to ever choose a hated sexuality. So to this, the answer is clear. And whether or not homosexuality can be changed, this is interesting, but I don't think there are any conclusive studies done on this whatsoever. It might be that a person feels gay for some strange, but is actually not gay, then in theory one could remove his feeling so he feels heterosexual. But in that case, this guy is not a homosexual in the first place, so it's a moot point.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 8:19:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
All scientific arguments aside, here's my problem with the "choice" explanation:

I personally know someone from Georgia who now lives in California. His family was butch beyond belief (big game hunters), his bigger brothers are avid racists and homophobes, and he was expected to be landing girls left and right. The entire time, he was attracted to men. It's the base of most of his personal issues with trust and confidence in others.

He only felt comfortable being in a relationship (2 years now) with a gay guy when he moved to california (everything before was flings).

How in the hell does someone make a choice like that? BEFORE hitting puberty. As in liking guys before not sure what 'liking guys' entailed.

How can you say with a straight face anyone would ever choose that?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 2:59:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 8:19:42 PM, Wnope wrote:
How in the hell does someone make a choice like that? BEFORE hitting puberty. As in liking guys before not sure what 'liking guys' entailed.

I sincerely would like an answer to that. Not because it appears to be a good argument in your favor, but rather, because it seems impossible.

On the other hand, that anecdote does evidence that it's not hereditary, though, does it not?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 9:33:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 3:13:47 PM, Kleptin wrote:
You know what would be an interesting social experiment? Finding some way to study homosexual society with no contact to heterosexuals. Is the stereotype of gay men being more effeminate the result of them taking on social values attached with attracting men? What about the stereotype of lesbians being excessively butch or macho? What would be different?

The way homosexuals are portrayed and stereotyped in society does affect the way they behave. I have some friends who think they're totally fierce and fabulous to act like huge "queens." They're trying to emulate female characteristics in most cases, but keep in mind that how females act or are supposed to act is completely socialized behavior. I think it's a little different with lesbians being butch. A woman who does not wear make-up, doesn't shave her legs or wear girly clothes (which tend to be revealing and/or uncomfortable) would seem "butch" instead of being seen as the norm (default). I think in both cases people would do things to make them stand out and attract people, based on what was deemed attractive or popular in those particular societies.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 9:36:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 3:14:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
How feminine would I have to act to act to be considered of the female gender. Would liking celiene dion, disliking sports, and enjoying romantic comedies qualify me for the female gender :p.

Gender is a social construct; it's an illusion. You asked how "feminine" you would have to act. Well society deems what is feminine and what isn't. Nail polish might be feminine in some societies, masculine in another. I know this post is a joke, but I genuinely don't think most people get it. We ascribe traits we think are masculine and feminine but most aren't even rooted in reality, and when they are, it's because they're learned. There are some biological exceptions but even that gets blurry. For instance, while it's true males tend to have more testosterone than women (thus tending to be more aggressive), that is not always the case. There are plenty of guys with less testosterone and plenty of women with more testosterone. Some of our generalizations are rooted in biology but many are not. I don't see the merit of gendering in most cases. "Girls like pink and boys like blue." It's so stupid.
President of DDO
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 10:37:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 5:22:47 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Homosexuality is about 52% Heritable.

Source?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 2:05:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/29/2011 2:59:57 AM, Ren wrote:
At 10/28/2011 8:19:42 PM, Wnope wrote:
How in the hell does someone make a choice like that? BEFORE hitting puberty. As in liking guys before not sure what 'liking guys' entailed.

I sincerely would like an answer to that. Not because it appears to be a good argument in your favor, but rather, because it seems impossible.

On the other hand, that anecdote does evidence that it's not hereditary, though, does it not?

Not hereditary in a purely genetic sense.

Take a quick look at this article. It gives a good briefing for the prenatal/hormonal aspect.
http://www.nytimes.com...

Hormonal effects in the womb actually explain a surprising amount. For instance, the fact that the probability of someone being gay is influenced by the mother having previous pregnancies. The current idea is that mothers have an immune response every time they are pregnant, and this response strengthens over time.

http://www.canada.com...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2011 2:07:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/29/2011 9:36:09 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 10/28/2011 3:14:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
How feminine would I have to act to act to be considered of the female gender. Would liking celiene dion, disliking sports, and enjoying romantic comedies qualify me for the female gender :p.

Gender is a social construct; it's an illusion. You asked how "feminine" you would have to act. Well society deems what is feminine and what isn't. Nail polish might be feminine in some societies, masculine in another. I know this post is a joke, but I genuinely don't think most people get it. We ascribe traits we think are masculine and feminine but most aren't even rooted in reality, and when they are, it's because they're learned. There are some biological exceptions but even that gets blurry. For instance, while it's true males tend to have more testosterone than women (thus tending to be more aggressive), that is not always the case. There are plenty of guys with less testosterone and plenty of women with more testosterone. Some of our generalizations are rooted in biology but many are not. I don't see the merit of gendering in most cases. "Girls like pink and boys like blue." It's so stupid.

I like asking people if they think someone with a vagina and breasts but an X Y chromosomes is a man or woman. Or what about a "women" who has an inactivated (XXY)?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 8:22:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sex, Race and Gender distinctions are completely arbitrary for exactly this reason. Someone could have a penis but their hormonal make-up can mirror that of a woman's. Are they male or female? It really doesn't matter - that's what is confusing and scary to a lot of people.
President of DDO
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 9:15:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don;t think he is possesed by Satan like Judas but rather influenced and tricked by the devil and the idiot fell for it.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 5:19:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/30/2011 8:22:38 AM, Danielle wrote:
Sex, Race and Gender distinctions are completely arbitrary for exactly this reason. Someone could have a penis but their hormonal make-up can mirror that of a woman's. Are they male or female? It really doesn't matter - that's what is confusing and scary to a lot of people.
Race and gender are two different concepts. Race can be defined as the color of a people, but the term "race" becomes arbitrary because there is absolutely no general difference whatsoever between the black male next door and the white male next door. Their functions are always the same (and only different in a normal sense, i.e., that they aren't the same person).

A male and female, however, will almost always have certain completely different functions. That is why the term gender exists. A male cannot give birth, a female can. This general function of the female is what separates her from the male. And because the male cannot have this function, he is objectively different to a female.

And it is interesting to think about which gender a say, hermaphrodite belongs to, but that does not make the term "gender" arbitrary.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 6:18:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Among heterosexuals, there are females and there are males, There are also vast differences between them. Their gender is not in question to themselves. Nor is their self awareness of what gender they are affected by what science or society thinks what gender is. They will always know what gender they are.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2011 8:06:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd say nature has a much bigger impact on sexuality than nurture... Nurture might lead to some sexual confusion or curiosity; MAYBE a boy raised by two male parents might be more inclined to experiment or something, but ultimately I don't think we can change what sex we're naturally attracted too.
So yes, people are born gay.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...