Jump to topic:

Things that remove your faith in humanity

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 5:32:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It's as simple as it says on the tin. For me, it is the stanford prisoner experiment:

http://www.prisonexp.org...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:16:36 PM
At 11/1/2011 5:32:29 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
It's as simple as it says on the tin. For me, it is the stanford prisoner experiment:

Yeah I've heard about that one a few times. Ridiculous the things people do when in a position of power.

For me, its when a person, who is completely capable, merely stands and watches while a frail person is being beaten to death by a mugger 10 feet away from him.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:18:31 PM
The apathy, callousness and greed of my fellow man removes my faith in Humanity.
And /b/.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:18:32 PM
The Holocaust
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:26:48 PM
Emptiness, wars, the current state of education, &ct...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 6:36:53 PM
What I saw 5 days ago just reaffirmed my total and complete lack of faith in the human race. While I was running my bridge saw, I hear one of the Latino immigrants yelling something in Spanish like they always do but in this case all the rest of the Latino immigrants stop and drop what they are doing and run over to the gut yelling.

The guy that was yelling was standing next to the soda and snack machine, seems he discovered that one of the dispensers that dispense snacks would just keep turning until it would empty all the snacks in that specific dispenser. Well they that all proceed to steal all the snacks and try to hide them under their shirts as though nothing was happening. They didn't know I saw what they were doing and I will never say anything. The worst part about it is that the guy who owns the vending machine is a Latino to. He's a nice guy, he tells everyone to just write down their name on a piece of paper if they lost any money in the machine and he would square up every time he comes to fill the machine. Now that I have seen what I have seen, I'll bet those aholes lie about that to. I can't wait to tell him about his Latino brethren and how they are stabbing him in the back.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 7:16:05 PM

when liberal college students were told to act like prison guards they became abusive jerks? i bet if they did another study and told rednecks to act like college students the rednecks would do a bunch of drugs and have gay orgies. would this accurately represent the college experience? for most people probably not. it represents the participating persons biases, nothing else.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 7:26:25 PM
At 11/1/2011 7:16:05 PM, kogline wrote:

when liberal college students were told to act like prison guards they became abusive jerks? i bet if they did another study and told rednecks to act like college students the rednecks would do a bunch of drugs and have gay orgies. would this accurately represent the college experience? for most people probably not. it represents the participating persons biases, nothing else.

The stanford prison experiment was an example of the banality of evil and how changing a person's environment and status artificially can deeply affect their personality.

The students were separated into guards and inmates. The results of the experiment would have been similar no matter who you put into the experiment.

The reason college students are good sample is that, from a more "rationalist" perspective, a better-educated person should be more cognizant of "moral choices."

If the experiment were done on people with high-school education. The general comment would be "oh, they just took a buncha low-class morons and tricked them. Of course it worked."

By converting university students, Zimbardo showed that not even the great bastion of liberal education can stop the banality of evil.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 9:01:28 AM

Junko furuta incidence, however, made me question humanity. If humans can inflict that level of torture and procure enjoyment out of it, i actually dont have words to say how deeply disgusted that makes me feel.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 9:08:19 AM
I can't say I have much faith in humanity now, once you accept the true nature of mankind your expectations are so low.

Though we can be easily manipulated to be fascists and murderers we at least are not normally in that state. Yea I know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:23:45 AM
At 11/1/2011 6:36:53 PM, sadolite wrote:
What I..

Surprising that the rest of you did not think of incidents in your life.
We also do not tend to think of incidents in which we were the culprit. I think its a defense mechanism. It may also be because we choose to do those things that we see are most appropriate, we would only see our act as wrong if our moral system was to change or if we attributed it to a brain fart.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 11:21:08 AM
almost everything
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:15:48 PM
At 11/1/2011 7:26:25 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 11/1/2011 7:16:05 PM, kogline wrote:

The stanford prison experiment was an example of the banality of evil and how changing a person's environment and status artificially can deeply affect their personality.

The students were separated into guards and inmates. The results of the experiment would have been similar no matter who you put into the experiment.:
The reason college students are good sample is that, from a more "rationalist" perspective, a better-educated person should be more cognizant of "moral choices."

If the experiment were done on people with high-school education. The general comment would be "oh, they just took a buncha low-class morons and tricked them. Of course it worked."

By converting university students, Zimbardo showed that not even the great bastion of liberal education can stop the banality of evil.

i disagree. I think that the college students have an inherent bias against correctional faculty and that this was what lead them to be overly cruel. i'm not even necessarily claiming that the results of this study are wrong, just that they should not even be considered because they were produced in a flawed study.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
kogline
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 12:33:47 PM
"Some said that the study was too deterministic: reports described significant differences in the cruelty of the guards, the worst of whom came to be nicknamed John Wayne. (This guard alleges he started the escalation of events between guards and prisoners after he began to emulate a character from the Paul Newman film Cool Hand Luke. He further intensified his actions because he was nicknamed "John Wayne", even though he was trying to mimic actor Strother Martin, who had played the role of the sadistic Captain in the movie.[11]) Most of the other guards were kinder and often did favors for prisoners.[citation needed]"

this paragraph from wikipedia does a good job of showing what i was trying to say in earlier posts. the worst one openly admits to roleplaying a sadist from a movie.

and something else to consider, what if instead of this "experiment" they gave these people actual jobs in a correctional facility? do you believe they still would have done these things?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 4:43:55 PM
"Faith in humanity" is a complete statement.

Faith in humanity what?

You might as well say,

"Eating onions is bad". Bad for what?

Moral philosophy can be so absurd at times.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 1:59:52 PM
At 11/3/2011 4:43:55 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Faith in humanity what?

You might as well say,

Faith in humanity as in faith that humanity will prevail. Faith that humanity is still a trait possessed by the majority a few years down the line.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:07:28 PM
Nothing that humanity ever does will remove my faith from it.

I'm part of humanity, and a lack of faith in humanity will indicate a lack of faith in myself :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 3:13:35 PM
At 11/4/2011 1:59:52 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Faith in humanity what?

You might as well say,

Faith in humanity as in faith that humanity will prevail. Faith that humanity is still a trait possessed by the majority a few years down the line.

Prevail at what?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:35:07 PM
At 11/4/2011 3:13:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 11/4/2011 1:59:52 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Faith in humanity what?

You might as well say,

Prevail at what?

Living, and having the same standard of living as the present.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:36:20 PM
Oh what removes my faith in humanity is that the occupy wall street movement is viewed more favorably the tea party.
Open borders debate:
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2011 4:45:27 PM
Abortion
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:14:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/4/2011 4:36:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Oh what removes my faith in humanity is that the occupy wall street movement is viewed more favorably the tea party.

Seriously, that's it?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 4:55:42 PM

And yet you're such a control freak yourself. I wouldn't succumb to such a thing not having grown up such a fearful little creature.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 5:10:29 PM
At 8/3/2013 4:14:51 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
At 11/4/2011 4:36:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Seriously, that's it?

It's one of them.
Open borders debate: