Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Child labor/rights/etc in a Free Market

quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 10:21:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm just very curious about exploring this sector of the topic of economic rights. How would things such as child labor or child rights be handled in a Free Market Capitalist system?

I do believe that the decision as to whether or not a child should drop out of school whenever and work in a factory or field for whatever reason, should be a decision made by the parents and their child, not the state, however, who ultimately makes the decision? Are children to be considered almost property of the parents? I mean it's okay for a parent to force a child to go to church, go to the hospital, spend hours doing chores with no pay, and even spank or smack them every now and then.

I tried arguing with others in my speech and debate class that parents will have their child's best interest at heart moreso than any government and as a result, pound for pound, make better decisions regarding the child's future, but then they bring up instances of parents selling their kids into slavery or to work in poor conditions. I find it hard to defend this if the Free Market permits it. Thoughts? Rebuttals and informations will be greatly appreciated.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 10:22:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Really depends on the parent, doesn't it?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...
President of DDO
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:39:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 10:32:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Parents can already sell their children into slavery through arranged adoptions. Nuttin you can do about it.

Hold on, you can get paid for setting your kid up for adoption? Sweet.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 2:13:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 1:39:26 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 11/14/2011 10:32:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Parents can already sell their children into slavery through arranged adoptions. Nuttin you can do about it.

Hold on, you can get paid for setting your kid up for adoption? Sweet.

LoL.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 2:34:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 10:21:10 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
I'm just very curious about exploring this sector of the topic of economic rights. How would things such as child labor or child rights be handled in a Free Market Capitalist system?

I do believe that the decision as to whether or not a child should drop out of school whenever and work in a factory or field for whatever reason, should be a decision made by the parents and their child, not the state, however, who ultimately makes the decision? Are children to be considered almost property of the parents? I mean it's okay for a parent to force a child to go to church, go to the hospital, spend hours doing chores with no pay, and even spank or smack them every now and then.

I tried arguing with others in my speech and debate class that parents will have their child's best interest at heart moreso than any government and as a result, pound for pound, make better decisions regarding the child's future, but then they bring up instances of parents selling their kids into slavery or to work in poor conditions. I find it hard to defend this if the Free Market permits it. Thoughts? Rebuttals and informations will be greatly appreciated.

Socialist/Communist countries have greater problems with this than market based countries.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 6:28:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 2:34:58 AM, innomen wrote:
Socialist/Communist countries have greater problems with this than market based countries.

What about the U.S. during the industrial age? Was child labor more of a result of the climb to power of the monopolies or was it unregulated capitalism?
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 7:21:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 6:28:48 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 11/15/2011 2:34:58 AM, innomen wrote:
Socialist/Communist countries have greater problems with this than market based countries.

What about the U.S. during the industrial age? Was child labor more of a result of the climb to power of the monopolies or was it unregulated capitalism?

Do you know what they called child labor prior to the industrian revolution?

They called it life... every child worked on the farm and, by modern standards, that sucked far more than working in a factory..

Child labor was actually on the decline before child labor laws... why?

Because, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education and gain skills than to simply work... And, markets work towards efficiency...

So, ya
President of DDO
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 7:49:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 7:21:26 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Do you know what they called child labor prior to the industrian revolution?

They called it life... every child worked on the farm and, by modern standards, that sucked far more than working in a factory..

Child labor was actually on the decline before child labor laws... why?

Because, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education and gain skills than to simply work... And, markets work towards efficiency...

So, ya

I didn't know that child labor was on the decline. Do you have some links I can see to back my self up? Anyhow, I know it's logical that the reason parents would employ their children to work in factories was because they paid very well compared to out in the fields and that the pay was able to overcome the risk. Anyhow, my friends believe that if you let people do what they want that all of a sudden that they will do anything for a profit and that if we repeal child labor laws parents, in droves will sell their children for a few measley dollars.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 8:53:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 7:49:00 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 11/15/2011 7:21:26 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Do you know what they called child labor prior to the industrian revolution?

They called it life... every child worked on the farm and, by modern standards, that sucked far more than working in a factory..

Child labor was actually on the decline before child labor laws... why?

Because, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education and gain skills than to simply work... And, markets work towards efficiency...

So, ya

I didn't know that child labor was on the decline. Do you have some links I can see to back my self up? Anyhow, I know it's logical that the reason parents would employ their children to work in factories was because they paid very well compared to out in the fields and that the pay was able to overcome the risk. Anyhow, my friends believe that if you let people do what they want that all of a sudden that they will do anything for a profit and that if we repeal child labor laws parents, in droves will sell their children for a few measley dollars.

Here is a link to hours worked fallling during that time period:

http://eh.net...

I'm trying to find the exact link for child labor, but there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't fall with the general fall in hours worked.

Um, Child Labor laws were only passed because they had support from who... parents...

So, even without the laws, people would still see many forms of child labor as inhumane...

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with some kids working... Does someone with an IQ of 80 have any use trying to learn physics?
President of DDO
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 9:28:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://eh.net...

I found a source from the same website you used. It shows that by and large, the amount of children participating in the labor force, was largely in decline in the early 1900's and almost nonexistent well before Child Labor was almost entirely banned.

Thanks for the information that lead me to look up this nugget of info, I can't wait to thrash my friends with this.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 9:32:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 9:28:45 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
http://eh.net...

I found a source from the same website you used. It shows that by and large, the amount of children participating in the labor force, was largely in decline in the early 1900's and almost nonexistent well before Child Labor was almost entirely banned.

Thanks for the information that lead me to look up this nugget of info, I can't wait to thrash my friends with this.

Haha, have fun thrashing
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 1:20:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As long as they're not placed in exceedingly dangerous conditions I generally don't have a problem with children working. Their education should be top priority though.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:15:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In primitive societies, children work to benefit their family as soon as they are able to. It's a consequence of economic necessity. In prosperous societies, children can be educated and prepared for integration into the society. So what makes for a prosperous society? Free markets, of course.
Willoweed
Posts: 150
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 1:42:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

ROTFL this is all true only if you reject the past 2000 years of history.
NotreDame
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 2:13:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 10:21:10 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
I'm just very curious about exploring this sector of the topic of economic rights. How would things such as child labor or child rights be handled in a Free Market Capitalist system?

I do believe that the decision as to whether or not a child should drop out of school whenever and work in a factory or field for whatever reason, should be a decision made by the parents and their child, not the state, however, who ultimately makes the decision? Are children to be considered almost property of the parents? I mean it's okay for a parent to force a child to go to church, go to the hospital, spend hours doing chores with no pay, and even spank or smack them every now and then.

I tried arguing with others in my speech and debate class that parents will have their child's best interest at heart moreso than any government and as a result, pound for pound, make better decisions regarding the child's future, but then they bring up instances of parents selling their kids into slavery or to work in poor conditions. I find it hard to defend this if the Free Market permits it. Thoughts? Rebuttals and informations will be greatly appreciated.

Well, without being entirely sure of what "Free Market" means, indeed the phrase invokes a variance of meanings amongst people. Assuming, however, it means the government has no regulatory power over the economy, then this would permit parents to have their children work very long hours in a factory, on a farm, etcetera and perhaps under some brutal conditions. We know from history parents would permit their children to work in some very harsh labor conditions. http://www.eiu.edu...

For parents and families very poor, or for parents disabled, then they'd might, for their own survival and of the entire family, subject their children to extreme work conditions, even exploit them. Parents not only have their child's interest in mind but their own, and the interests of the family, and they do not always result in the best situation for the child when discretion is left to the parents.

Parents already engage in action and conduct not in the best interest of their children, i.e. drug use, drug abuse, children present at homes in which methamphetamine is made and sold, along with other drugs. Children kept in conditions detrimental to their health and well being. I think the evidence suggests there will be some parents who would exploit their child in the absence of child labor laws.
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison.
NotreDame
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 2:17:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

I think this ignores the scope of the opening post, which was focusing upon parents not exploiting their children in the labor market in the absence of child labor laws. For the parent, wanting more money immediately and at the moment, they are not looking to the future of the child, which would be for the child to go to school instead of laboring. For the greedy and exploitive parent, they are going to send their child to work everyday, whereas the parent who wants a better life for their child can more reasonably be expected to send the kid to school.
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison.
NotreDame
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 2:29:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 8:53:06 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 11/15/2011 7:49:00 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
At 11/15/2011 7:21:26 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Do you know what they called child labor prior to the industrian revolution?

They called it life... every child worked on the farm and, by modern standards, that sucked far more than working in a factory..

Child labor was actually on the decline before child labor laws... why?

Because, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education and gain skills than to simply work... And, markets work towards efficiency...

So, ya

I didn't know that child labor was on the decline. Do you have some links I can see to back my self up? Anyhow, I know it's logical that the reason parents would employ their children to work in factories was because they paid very well compared to out in the fields and that the pay was able to overcome the risk. Anyhow, my friends believe that if you let people do what they want that all of a sudden that they will do anything for a profit and that if we repeal child labor laws parents, in droves will sell their children for a few measley dollars.

Here is a link to hours worked fallling during that time period:

http://eh.net...

I'm trying to find the exact link for child labor, but there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't fall with the general fall in hours worked.

Um, Child Labor laws were only passed because they had support from who... parents...

So, even without the laws, people would still see many forms of child labor as inhumane...

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with some kids working... Does someone with an IQ of 80 have any use trying to learn physics?

It may be true, as a general matter, parents would not subject their children to inhumane child labor because of the present societal perception of its immorality and inhumaneness. However, I do think some parents would, especially those in severe financial conditions or those who have already subjected their children to some rather deplorable conditions, i.e. drug house, abuse, etcetera, would subject their children to inhumane child labor. Since the free market would allow even this minimal amount of inhumane child labor, which even the smallest amount is too much in my opinion, we would need child labor laws to further minimize it, if not completely do away with it.
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison.
NotreDame
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 2:36:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/15/2011 9:28:45 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
http://eh.net...

I found a source from the same website you used. It shows that by and large, the amount of children participating in the labor force, was largely in decline in the early 1900's and almost nonexistent well before Child Labor was almost entirely banned.

Thanks for the information that lead me to look up this nugget of info, I can't wait to thrash my friends with this.

How did the "thrashing" go? I only ask because after reading the information at the link, the strength of this evidence is limited. In other words, the information at the link strongly hints and suggests child labor could occur in the absence of legislation and the motivating factor behind its disappearance was the increasing income of families, thereby eviscerating the need for parents to have their children work.

What does this suggest? When incomes are stagnant with inflation over some protracted period of time, a recession, etcetera, child labor may appear in the absence of laws precluding it. In other words, under the right circumstances, child labor can appear in a Free Market and there is nothing at this link or website which suggests, hints, or infers child labor cannot or would not occur in a Free Market but rather suggests just the opposite.
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 9:11:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't think child labor is making a comeback in Western society anytime soon- even in a free market. The circumstances would have to be dire. i.e. the average human life span drops dramatically, resources are incredibly scarce for families, etc.

I believe that because, before, when children did work just like everyone else- they were considered tiny adults, not children. The average human life span was much shorter and adolescence was not really considered a thing like it is now until the last 100-200 years or so.

Now that we have changed the definition of people aged 4-13 or so, and we understand fully the psychological needs of those individuals, I don't think we can go back to how things were before. They're not just little adults to us anymore- they're children. It's a much different thing to force a child to work than it is to force a tiny adult to work.

tldr- People would probably only force children to work in a free market if there were dire circumstances (extreme poverty, lack of resources, and alternatives; dramatic drop in the average human life span) because we acknowledge that a state called "childhood" exists- unlike when children used to work and were considered tiny adults in a world with a much lower average human life span.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 10:22:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 1:42:42 PM, Willoweed wrote:
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

ROTFL this is all true only if you reject the past 2000 years of history.

What evidence do you have? Evidence has already been given showing that child labor had little correlation with child labor laws.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:46:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/14/2011 10:21:10 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
I'm just very curious about exploring this sector of the topic of economic rights. How would things such as child labor or child rights be handled in a Free Market Capitalist system?

I do believe that the decision as to whether or not a child should drop out of school whenever and work in a factory or field for whatever reason, should be a decision made by the parents and their child, not the state, however, who ultimately makes the decision? Are children to be considered almost property of the parents? I mean it's okay for a parent to force a child to go to church, go to the hospital, spend hours doing chores with no pay, and even spank or smack them every now and then.

I tried arguing with others in my speech and debate class that parents will have their child's best interest at heart moreso than any government and as a result, pound for pound, make better decisions regarding the child's future, but then they bring up instances of parents selling their kids into slavery or to work in poor conditions. I find it hard to defend this if the Free Market permits it. Thoughts? Rebuttals and informations will be greatly appreciated.

What is an economic right?
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:47:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/5/2011 10:22:11 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 12/1/2011 1:42:42 PM, Willoweed wrote:
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

ROTFL this is all true only if you reject the past 2000 years of history.

What evidence do you have? Evidence has already been given showing that child labor had little correlation with child labor laws.

Child Labor has nothing to do with Child Labor.....only on DDo does that makes sense.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:16:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 7:47:31 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 12/5/2011 10:22:11 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 12/1/2011 1:42:42 PM, Willoweed wrote:
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

ROTFL this is all true only if you reject the past 2000 years of history.

What evidence do you have? Evidence has already been given showing that child labor had little correlation with child labor laws.

Child Labor has nothing to do with Child Labor.....only on DDo does that makes sense.

Well, in his defense, he was saying that laws imposed on child labor doesn't do much to affect whether child labor exists.

On the other hand, I'd say that it's wholly inaccurate, of course. Child labor existed whenever it was legal and continues to exist where it remains legal.

Where there is room for exploitation, someone will place themselves in that space.

Jimtimmy, the very thing wrong with your perspectives is that it leads people to make silly decisions, such as that an entire categorization of people fit can only serve a limited purpose in society.

I think it would be interesting to note here that for every single ethnic categorization in this country, including "white" and "Asian," those that are foreign born have significantly higher numbers--significantly--of those with a degree.

Does that mean that immigrants are better for this country than those native born?

A real libertarian tickler.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:18:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 8:16:42 AM, Ren wrote:
I think it would be interesting to note here that for every single ethnic categorization in this country, including "white" and "Asian," those that are foreign born have a significantly higher proportion--significantly--of those with a degree.

Does that mean that immigrants are better for this country than those native born?

A real libertarian tickler.

Fix'd.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:53:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 8:16:42 AM, Ren wrote:
At 12/6/2011 7:47:31 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 12/5/2011 10:22:11 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 12/1/2011 1:42:42 PM, Willoweed wrote:
At 11/14/2011 11:29:21 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Child Labor basically goes away in a free market...

As economicc progress continues, it becomes more efficient for kids to get an education, so they do that instead of child labor...

ROTFL this is all true only if you reject the past 2000 years of history.

What evidence do you have? Evidence has already been given showing that child labor had little correlation with child labor laws.

Child Labor has nothing to do with Child Labor.....only on DDo does that makes sense.

Well, in his defense, he was saying that laws imposed on child labor doesn't do much to affect whether child labor exists.

On the other hand, I'd say that it's wholly inaccurate, of course. Child labor existed whenever it was legal and continues to exist where it remains legal.

Where there is room for exploitation, someone will place themselves in that space.

Jimtimmy, the very thing wrong with your perspectives is that it leads people to make silly decisions, such as that an entire categorization of people fit can only serve a limited purpose in society.

I think it would be interesting to note here that for every single ethnic categorization in this country, including "white" and "Asian," those that are foreign born have significantly higher numbers--significantly--of those with a degree.

Does that mean that immigrants are better for this country than those native born?

A real libertarian tickler.

I don't know what you mean by "silly decisions"... Does the state not make "silly decisions"?

After all, the state is just full of people.

If kids want to work, or even if their parents want them to work, then nobody should stop them.

In a free market, education would be MUCH CHEAPER and MUCH MORE EFFICIENT... as in it wouldn't take tens of thousands of dollars and 20 something years to learn enough skills for a nice upper end job...

It would really depend on the student

As for immigrants, you say "for each ethnic categorization"... are you admitting that we happen to be letting in a lot of uneducated poor immigrants from certain ethnicities that are not asian or white....

A real statist tickler.
President of DDO
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:57:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 3:53:18 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "silly decisions"... Does the state not make "silly decisions"?

What?

After all, the state is just full of people.

What does this have to do with anything?

If kids want to work, or even if their parents want them to work, then nobody should stop them.

Work in what capacity?

In a free market, education would be MUCH CHEAPER and MUCH MORE EFFICIENT... as in it wouldn't take tens of thousands of dollars and 20 something years to learn enough skills for a nice upper end job...

Can you explain this in real terms using real numbers, please? Slowly, now, as I would really like to understand.

It would really depend on the student

What does this mean? Are you suggesting that there are some unalienable terms that one must serve for educational institutions for eligibility for diplomas or certifications? Because, that's false.

As for immigrants, you say "for each ethnic categorization"... are you admitting that we happen to be letting in a lot of uneducated poor immigrants from certain ethnicities that are not asian or white....

No. I'm not, and I have no idea where you got that from. I'm saying that the immigrants in this country are better educated than those native born. Period.

A real libertarian tickler.

Fix'd.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:06:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 3:57:28 PM, Ren wrote:
At 12/6/2011 3:53:18 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "silly decisions"... Does the state not make "silly decisions"?

What?

You said that my perspectives lead people to make silly decisions, whatever that means.


After all, the state is just full of people.

What does this have to do with anything?

Um, you statists always talk about how people are too irrational to make their own decisions... so, I was just pointing out how, if that is true, people are WAY too irrational to run a state


If kids want to work, or even if their parents want them to work, then nobody should stop them.

Work in what capacity?

However they want to


In a free market, education would be MUCH CHEAPER and MUCH MORE EFFICIENT... as in it wouldn't take tens of thousands of dollars and 20 something years to learn enough skills for a nice upper end job...

Can you explain this in real terms using real numbers, please? Slowly, now, as I would really like to understand.

In a free market, school would be complelety optional and private. People would pick schools based on price and quality... With an incentive to keep costs low, cheap private schools will emerge and people will attend these

School will be much cheaper in a free market... just like everything else is cheaper and more efficient in a free market... yes, I said and mean everything


It would really depend on the student

What does this mean? Are you suggesting that there are some unalienable terms that one must serve for educational institutions for eligibility for diplomas or certifications? Because, that's false.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all


As for immigrants, you say "for each ethnic categorization"... are you admitting that we happen to be letting in a lot of uneducated poor immigrants from certain ethnicities that are not asian or white....

No. I'm not, and I have no idea where you got that from. I'm saying that the immigrants in this country are better educated than those native born. Period.

But they aren't... most immigrants are poor Mexicans... However, the few white and asian immigrants are well educated... but they typically come for the sole purpose of education or getting a high paying job.

Most immigrants are poorly educated


A real statist tickler.

Fix'd.

I fixed it back
President of DDO
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:16:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 4:06:27 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
You said that my perspectives lead people to make silly decisions, whatever that means.

Well, if you don't know what it mean't, why don't you ask or reread what I wrote rather than simply misinterpret it and respond with something incomprehensible?

Anyway, I was saying that it leads to silly distinctions that group people into given activities, which is foolish. People can figure that out for themselves.

After all, the state is just full of people.

What does this have to do with anything?


Um, you statists always talk about how people are too irrational to make their own decisions... so, I was just pointing out how, if that is true, people are WAY too irrational to run a state

What is this "you statists" jazz about? I'm not necessarily a "statist." Whereas I do believe that state power is as important as federal power, I don't really focus on that much. It's like you're talking to yourself, like some imaginary deliberation you're continuing from the one you had with Ruxpin last night.

However they want to

Yeah, see, that's a no. How do you determine what wages a child can earn? How will you tax that child's income? Will it differ for single or double parent households? What about those that house extended family members, as well? I mean, hello, it's retarded.

In a free market, school would be complelety optional and private. People would pick schools based on price and quality... With an incentive to keep costs low, cheap private schools will emerge and people will attend these

However, there will still be those with money that will be able to keep the money among them by receiving better education simply through the merit of having more money.

The purpose of money in a society is supposed to be benefits derived from a society for providing a service. It is your contribution to society that gives you the merit of tender. Simply benefiting from society, but refusing to benefit society in return does not make you a libertarian. It makes you a parasite.

School will be much cheaper in a free market... just like everything else is cheaper and more efficient in a free market... yes, I said and mean everything

You have absolutely no reason to believe that whatsoever.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all

Uh huh.

But they aren't... most immigrants are poor Mexicans... However, the few white and asian immigrants are well educated... but they typically come for the sole purpose of education or getting a high paying job.

LOL, you're an idiot. Yes, they are:

http://www.cato.org...

Most immigrants are poorly educated

LOL, no they're not.

http://www.cato.org...

A real statist tickler.

Fix'd.

I fixed it back

Yeah, because you're a moron.

Getcha facts straight, kiddo.