Affirmative Action

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 10:45:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Beautifully written article:

Let me tell you about two people and you tell me which one should have gotten an advantage from the college admissions office. These are not fictional people.

Our first student grew up the daughter of multi-millionaires, both of her parents are lawyers and she enjoyed every privilege. She competed in show jumping horses and lived in a huge home with a stable on the property. She was very smart and worked hard and she went to the local high school for gifted students.

Our second student was born in the projects on 125th street in Harlem. After age eight he lived in Tucson in very poor neighborhoods. Their first house there was next door to a family where both parents and all of the kids were in a gang. They regularly broke into this kid's house, and the father was fond of threatening him with his shotgun for fun. His mom had health problems and her live-in boyfriend refused to get a job. They were extremely poor, he begged for leftover fruit in the school cafeteria and they got food from the produce company dumpster regularly. The teachers would take him and his brothers to the clothing pantry so that they would have clothes that fit. At the age of ten he set out to earn money for himself and got jobs cleaning for over twenty companies. He used the money to buy himself a bed so he did not need to sleep on the floor anymore, and a bicycle. At thirteen they moved to a new neighborhood where their neighbor held off the SWAT team with a shotgun for thirteen hours before giving himself up on cocaine trafficking charges. Out on bail the neighbor murdered his girlfriend with a kitchen knife.

He went to an elementary and junior high school where he never got any instruction in grammar, entering high school using no punctuation, paragraphs, or capitals. He was forced to teach himself math from the book because his teacher would just pull out a calculator and tell him to "push this button."

Despite all of that our second student also attended the local high school for gifted students, where he did just as well as our first student. Not having school books sometimes for up to the first month because he did not have the money to buy them also was a difficult issue for him in high school.

Which person should get an advantage from the college admissions offices? Which one did get an advantage? Since my friend Kim is an African American she got an advantage despite already having had every possible advantage since birth. I was the poor child and despite facing all of those challenges I got no advantage for admissions to college, because I am white.

This is a real example of how race based admissions and advantages can be unsupportable in their results. We must get race out of the equation. Use family income, educational background of the parents, real circumstances and not the lazy shorthand of race to determine who needs and deserves extra help at the college level.

http://www.helium.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 10:51:13 AM
People should not be admitted on socio-economic or racial background.

Compare marks and qualifications. I don't care if the people who have the highest marks are children of millionaires, let them in.

People who are poor has a less chance of succeeding in life.

Survival of the fittest.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:00:45 AM
I agree with the article, Affirmative Action should deal with social class not race. As it stands, simply being wealthy can get you into an Ivy league in spite of grades.

However, I feel as though America has a very correctional attitude. We need some way to atone for every mistake of the past, like how we paid the Japanese-Americans $20,000 for being interned during world war 2. I think of AA not as a piece of legislation to legitimately improve education and opportunity in this country, but an apology that needs an expiration date.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:03:55 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:00:45 AM, 000ike wrote:
I agree with the article, Affirmative Action should deal with social class not race. As it stands, simply being wealthy can get you into an Ivy league in spite of grades.

However, I feel as though America has a very correctional attitude. We need some way to atone for every mistake of the past, like how we paid the Japanese-Americans $20,000 for being interned during world war 2. I think of AA not as a piece of legislation to legitimately improve education and opportunity in this country, but an apology that needs an expiration date.

I didn't realize that there are still blacks living today that used to be slaves.
Open borders debate:
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:04:36 AM
I don't see AA really working well because of things like this. I would definately support places that support people at a disadvantage, but putting race, gender, or religion over other factors like history, income level, and showing from real life that your dedicated and more capable. (Someone whose never been taught that can independtly learn how to read, write, and do math I would say is much more capable than someone whose been taught all their life that can remember what's been taught and use it to do more complex math than the first person. Just like how 1st graders learn concepts, theories, and equations that took extreme past geniuses to come up with. If they had been given a modern 1st grade education, imagine what else they could have done.)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:07:49 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:03:55 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I didn't realize that there are still blacks living today that used to experience caustic racism, violence, social injustice in every sense, and unequal opportunity in America.

Yes darkkermit, those people are still alive. :p
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:24:58 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:07:49 AM, 000ike wrote:

I didn't realize that there are still blacks living today that used to experience caustic racism, violence, social injustice in every sense, and unequal opportunity in America.

I believe that a white person living in a predominately black community would likely be a greater victim of racism then a black person living in a predominately white community.
Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:29:21 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:24:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/19/2011 11:07:49 AM, 000ike wrote:

I believe that a white person living in a predominately black community would likely be a greater victim of racism then a black person living in a predominately white community.

Perhaps, but there has never been federally enforced racism toward White people. What we as a country always atone for is when the government acts in discrimination to a group, not when citizens do so.

I don't see your point.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:32:11 AM
People should not be admitted on socio-economic or racial background.

Compare marks and qualifications. I don't care if the people who have the highest marks are children of millionaires, let them in.

The problem is that someone who has done worse in exams, but has been significantly disadvantaged might well do better in higher education because they have had to work harder and be more intelligent to overcome their disadvantaged background. It's complicated.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:37:26 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:29:21 AM, 000ike wrote:
Perhaps, but there has never been federally enforced racism toward White people. What we as a country always atone for is when the government acts in discrimination to a group, not when citizens do so.

I don't see your point.

So the sensible thing to do is to take money away from people who had nothing to do with racism and then give it to people who may or may not have experianced racism at the hands of the government.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:37:48 AM

I'm not sure what that has to do with institutional racism.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:42:58 AM
Perhaps, but there has never been federally enforced racism toward White people.:

But there is, is the point of the article. Even though no one is intending to be racist towards the disenfranchized white guy, the net result is that he's at a disadvantage simply because of his race. The AA proponents are inherently giving blacks preferential treatment on nothing more than the basis of their race, which is in and of itself a form of racism.

That's the idiocy of AA... it's institutionalized racism... it attempts to use racism to combat racism, which is an absurdity.

What we as a country always atone for is when the government acts in discrimination to a group, not when citizens do so.:

No one should feel compelled to atone for what their ancestors might have done or been involved with. That's the central problem. Should contemporary Japanese be racked with guilt for what their ancestors did at Pearl Harbor? I don't think so, because it doesn't involve them.

We should never have to pay for the sins of the father... We make our own beds as individuals.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:45:35 AM
So the sensible thing to do is to take money away from people who had nothing to do with racism and then give it to people who may or may not have experianced racism at the hands of the government.

I do find the notion of collective responsibility absurd. And the notion of collective pride - i.e. Nationalism - too, although people are less willing to let go of that.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:51:07 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:37:26 AM, quarterexchange wrote:

I don't see your point.

Just, just curious. Do you know by any chance who said that?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:53:32 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:37:48 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

I was not referring to institutionalized racism, but more de facto racism. Most people have some degree of racism. Of course everyone denies that he/she is a racist, but many psychological experiments confirms this theory. And this is not to say that its just whites that are racists. Asians, blacks, whites, and basically any race has some degrees of racism.
Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 11:56:24 AM
At 11/19/2011 11:53:32 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I was not referring to institutionalized racism, but more de facto racism. Most people have some degree of racism. Of course everyone denies that he/she is a racist, but many psychological experiments confirms this theory. And this is not to say that its just whites that are racists. Asians, blacks, whites, and basically any race has some degrees of racism.

Not to pull semantics into this, but what you mean is discrimination, not racism. Racism, by its connotation, takes on a far more vicious meaning than a little bias.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:03:42 PM

Who ever said that whites are the only racists? AA has more to institutionalized racism.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:04:12 PM
At 11/19/2011 11:37:26 AM, quarterexchange wrote:

I don't see your point.

"Nothing to do with racism"? What? Most wealth in this country is inherited - added that on to the fact people immensely benefit from the cumulative advantage provided by public funding of things like roads, technology, businesses and the like. These are things that minorities didn't even have fair access to until fairly recently which was due to heavy racial discrimination. These are things like the GI Bill and VHA and FA home loans, bank loans, or homesteading, or....the list could continue forever.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:09:46 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:03:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Who ever said that whites are the only racists? AA has more to institutionalized racism.

How do you defend AA for college students and those that were alive before institutionalized racism?
Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:11:37 PM

AA can be directed elsewhere such as towards class, but its not racist. That racist charge just irritates me. Its sort of like bending the stick the other way to make it straight again. Its an apology.

I suppose paying the Japanese-Americans $20,000 for being discriminated against in the 1940s was also an act of racism. Give me a break.

I do want to make it clear though that I don't support AA, but calling it racist is arrant rubbish.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:12:22 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:09:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

How do you defend AA for college students and those that were alive before institutionalized racism?

There's never been a time in American history without institutionalized racism (and sexism I might add).
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:20:36 PM
"Nothing to do with racism"? What? Most wealth in this country is inherited - added that on to the fact people immensely benefit from the cumulative advantage provided by public funding of things like roads, technology, businesses and the like. These are things that minorities didn't even have fair access to until fairly recently which was due to heavy racial discrimination. These are things like the GI Bill and VHA and FA home loans, bank loans, or homesteading, or....the list could continue forever.:

Except that veteran privileges such as the GI Bill are based on a contractural agreement. Those niceties are paid in to by choice, not through compulsion, coersion, or force.

Secondly, it's an exchange process. You receive those things because you obligated a portion of your life to doing dangerous things. It's a benefit, not an automatic right. It's an incentive, it's not mandatory.

Quite unlike most every other social programs, you don't get those things for simply existing and gracing us with your presence... and unlike the social programs, you actually have a choice.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:31:04 PM
AA can be directed elsewhere such as towards class, but its not racist. That racist charge just irritates me. Its sort of like bending the stick the other way to make it straight again. Its an apology.:

An apology? So let me get this straight: The government takes the money of people who had nothing to do with slavery, and then gives stolen money to right a wrong the government initially perpetuated.... Righting wrongs with more wrongs. Makes perfect sense.

I suppose paying the Japanese-Americans $20,000 for being discriminated against in the 1940s was also an act of racism. Give me a break.:

No, they received reparations because they actually were the one's who suffered through a social injustice, not merely the ancestors of the people who suffered. But the logic of the AA pedlers, Japanese Americans should continually receive benefits on account of nothing more than their race.

Therein lies the critical difference.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:33:34 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:20:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
"Nothing to do with racism"? What? Most wealth in this country is inherited - added that on to the fact people immensely benefit from the cumulative advantage provided by public funding of things like roads, technology, businesses and the like. These are things that minorities didn't even have fair access to until fairly recently which was due to heavy racial discrimination. These are things like the GI Bill and VHA and FA home loans, bank loans, or homesteading, or....the list could continue forever.:

Except that veteran privileges such as the GI Bill are based on a contractural agreement. Those niceties are paid in to by choice, not through compulsion, coersion, or force.

Secondly, it's an exchange process. You receive those things because you obligated a portion of your life to doing dangerous things. It's a benefit, not an automatic right. It's an incentive, it's not mandatory.

Quite unlike most every other social programs, you don't get those things for simply existing and gracing us with your presence... and unlike the social programs, you actually have a choice.

You've simply missed the point. Veterans who are/were racial minorities did not and do not get the same access to using the GI Bill that people who aren't racial minorities due to racial discrimination even though they've wanted to use them.

Also, this illustrates earlier post more succintly: http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:37:05 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:33:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/19/2011 12:20:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

You've simply missed the point. Veterans who are/were racial minorities did not and do not get the same access to using the GI Bill that people who aren't racial minorities due to racial discrimination even though they've wanted to use them.

Also, this illustrates *my* earlier post more succintly: http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:49:28 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:12:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

There's never been a time in American history without institutionalized racism (and sexism I might add).

Please point to the legislation for institutionalized racism in America. Oh, and this doesn't include Affirmative Action or any other legislation that is racist towards whites :p.
Open borders debate:
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:53:02 PM
Touching story darkkermit. AA was a PF topic awhile ago. There was a study that for top tier private schools, checking that you are "African American" on your application is the equivalent of scoring 400 points higher on your SAT's.

If only every state were like California. The University of California system is not allowed to use AA regarding race (Prop 22, I think), but does consider socio-economic disadvantage when reviewing your file. If you are the first of your family to go to college, you get a pretty big boost. Which is kind of the exact opposite of the "legacy" system that just reinforces already existent inequalities.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 12:55:38 PM
You've simply missed the point.:

Then, yes, I did miss your point.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 1:37:19 PM
At 11/19/2011 12:49:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/19/2011 12:12:22 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Please point to the legislation for institutionalized racism in America.

To point to just one example - the war on drugs is a pretty fine example of institutionalized racism in action.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!