Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Too Smart for Our Own Good?

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 7:34:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://reason.com...

What do you think about this? Agree? Disagree?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 8:16:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The idea that man thinks he is smart to begin with is comical. Man can't even balance a budget. LOL. Man gets dumber every year.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Veridas
Posts: 733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 8:31:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 8:16:39 AM, sadolite wrote:
The idea that man thinks he is smart to begin with is comical. Man can't even balance a budget. LOL. Man gets dumber every year.

I find it delightlyfully ironic that you of all people are the one to say something like that.

I am, however, inclined to agree. People in general are idiots. There is a very small part of me that thinks that maybe, just maybe, every once in a while, a murder is commited because the victim was just being too much of a dumbass.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 9:16:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/21/2011 8:31:28 PM, Veridas wrote:
At 11/20/2011 8:16:39 AM, sadolite wrote:
The idea that man thinks he is smart to begin with is comical. Man can't even balance a budget. LOL. Man gets dumber every year.

I find it delightlyfully ironic that you of all people are the one to say something like that.

I am, however, inclined to agree. People in general are idiots. There is a very small part of me that thinks that maybe, just maybe, every once in a while, a murder is committed because the victim was just being too much of a dumbass.

What do you mean me of all people. I never said I was a know it all or that I was smarter than anyone. I unlike many on this site acknowledge mans limitations and my own. I especially acknowledge mans arrogance repugnance and stupidity when it comes to science being used to make social policy. And lets not forget the 800 pound gorilla, the origin of the universe and life. The arrogance and repugnance here is just to much to bear. Everyone knows, that no one knows the origin of either, but everyone knows the other guys theory is a load of crap. I don't know and I dismiss no theory scientific or biblical. I'm not that arrogant and repugnant.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:10:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/20/2011 8:16:39 AM, sadolite wrote:
The idea that man thinks he is smart to begin with is comical. Man can't even balance a budget. LOL. Man gets dumber every year.

You have a right to speak for yourself, but certainly not for our species.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:21:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/21/2011 9:16:37 PM, sadolite wrote:
And lets not forget the 800 pound gorilla, the origin of the universe and life. The arrogance and repugnance here is just to much to bear. Everyone knows, that no one knows the origin of either, but everyone knows the other guys theory is a load of crap. I don't know and I dismiss no theory scientific or biblical. I'm not that arrogant and repugnant.

See, I disagree. We have developed systems; science and mathematics for example, which can be used to make predictions about the nature of things. We develop levels of certainty; 2 plus 2, in basic mathematics will always equal 4. That is a certainty, with universal agreement (except for the contrarians and the mad.)

Then you go from mathematical certainty backwards and predict, based on an infinite number of things you know, how sure you are about something. For example, I am fairly certain tomorrow I am going to wake up and go to work. Now, there are an infinite number of things that can happen which would stop my prediction from being true, but, it's probably going to happen.

Another example; I know that if I reach out and touch the wall, it's going to be there (unless it is moved in some way.) That is natural; our senses all agree that there is a wall there and we can't pass through it..

If you study evolution you can see that unless there is a global conspiracy between scientists, it is a well-proven theory. The same can be said about a myriad of other broad and specific subjects. Anatomy, astrology, antibiotics, whatever. We make predictions, they come true.
Science works.

Then you look at the evidence for a personal God; not a first cause, but a loving Sky Wizard, who knows and cares about your meaningless existence and will take you to Heaven for all eternity if you just let him into your heart... yeah, and buy this "Word of our Lord DVD for $5.99" while you're full of our Holy Lord; you'll feel great. Amen.

Religion makes bogus predictions, science doesn't. Science makes mistakes as part of it's process towards perfection. Religion stays staunch about the nature of things, perhaps changing to match science and philosophy where it can.

Don't try and tell me they're equally believable things. I don't believe that a personal God exists because, since we started using these systems, our predictions about the nature of things are getting better and better and yet, we cannot make any scientific predictions about what a personal God will do. Not one of any value anyway. Sure, if you prey to God you'll get an answer. The answer is "Yes, no or maybe. See what happens."

Perhaps I am arrogant, but I'm not arrogant enough to preach about militant agnosticism. You know stuff, don't deny it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:30:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/19/2011 7:34:41 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
http://reason.com...

What do you think about this? Agree? Disagree?

By the way, great article.
Completely agree. Science could make people less violent and offers a bright future for humanity.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...