Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How do you Define Homosexuality?

Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 10:55:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've had a lot of conversations on here recently about homosexuality and something occurred to me. I can't actually identify when homosexuality begins.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex? As in, if you are a man and find a man attractive despite appearance, would that evidence you as a homosexual?

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

Can a hermaphrodite be a homosexual?

What would you call someone who maintains every semblance of a homosexual relationship, but with someone who doesn't appeal to gender distinctions of the opposite sex?

Medically speaking, homosexuality is when you have sex with someone of the same sex. Socially speaking, it's supposed to be sexual attraction to someone of the same sex, irregardless of gender. Those do not seem to be adequate definitions in real life...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 10:59:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 10:55:35 AM, Ren wrote:
I've had a lot of conversations on here recently about homosexuality and something occurred to me. I can't actually identify when homosexuality begins.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex? As in, if you are a man and find a man attractive despite appearance, would that evidence you as a homosexual?

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

Can a hermaphrodite be a homosexual?

What would you call someone who maintains every semblance of a homosexual relationship, but with someone who doesn't appeal to gender distinctions of the opposite sex?

Medically speaking, homosexuality is when you have sex with someone of the same sex. Socially speaking, it's supposed to be sexual attraction to someone of the same sex, irregardless of gender. Those do not seem to be adequate definitions in real life...

It is not just an attraction, it is a sexual preference for the same gender as opposed to the opposite gender. It does not mean that you get a boner everytime you see someone of the same gender (just like I don't get a boner every time I see a woman).

The reason that it is different medically, is because from a medical standpoint, they don't care too much who you are attracted to, as much as they are in who you have sex with.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Posts: 10,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:27:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 10:55:35 AM, Ren wrote:
I've had a lot of conversations on here recently about homosexuality and something occurred to me. I can't actually identify when homosexuality begins.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex? As in, if you are a man and find a man attractive despite appearance, would that evidence you as a homosexual?

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

Can a hermaphrodite be a homosexual?

What would you call someone who maintains every semblance of a homosexual relationship, but with someone who doesn't appeal to gender distinctions of the opposite sex?

Medically speaking, homosexuality is when you have sex with someone of the same sex. Socially speaking, it's supposed to be sexual attraction to someone of the same sex, irregardless of gender. Those do not seem to be adequate definitions in real life...

Its a demonic influence that is part of our dying and immoral culture. Period.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:31:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd say exclusively attraction to someone that at least appears to be the same sex.

That picture you showed of a transsexual would count as a girl, even if the genitalia is not correct for that.
However there are people that exclusively prefer transsexuals, so that would be a different issue altogether.

Basically if your female and find feminine traits attractive and masculine traits not attractive you would be considered a lesbian.
If you are male and find masculine traits more attractive and feminine traits not attractive you would be considered gay.
If you are male and find feminine traits attractive but not male and end up liking/loving/sleeping with someone that happens to actually be male, you would still be considered straight by most perspectives.

It does have several gray areas that make me just wanna scream.

Actually I think I will make a new topic about another gray area related to this.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

By sex I mean sexual contact of some form... because that too can be complicated.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:48:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 10:59:27 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It is not just an attraction, it is a sexual preference for the same gender as opposed to the opposite gender. It does not mean that you get a boner everytime you see someone of the same gender (just like I don't get a boner every time I see a woman).

You're misusing the term gender. It's not synonymous with sex.

The reason that it is different medically, is because from a medical standpoint, they don't care too much who you are attracted to, as much as they are in who you have sex with.

I think this would be a mistake. A gay person who never acts on their homosexual desires is still gay.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:52:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 11:31:41 AM, lovelife wrote:
Basically if your female and find feminine traits attractive and masculine traits not attractive you would be considered a lesbian.

This is completely not true.

First, define "feminine" and "masculine" traits. There are no such thing. We just ascribe the terms "masculine" and "feminine" to certain things that really have nothing to do with gender. For instance, body hair is considered masculine. So is aggression. In reality, neither of these things have anything to do with sex or gender. At best you can say that males tend to have more body hair and aggression (testosterone) than females, but that is not always true.

Second, plenty of lesbians find so-called masculine traits appealing. That's why so many lesbians are attracted to butch lesbians who exhibit those traits.

If you are male and find masculine traits more attractive and feminine traits not attractive you would be considered gay.

See above...

If you are male and find feminine traits attractive but not male and end up liking/loving/sleeping with someone that happens to actually be male, you would still be considered straight by most perspectives.

Say what? I'm pretty sure if a guy had sex with another guy and liked it... and fell in love with the other guy... that most people would NOT consider him straight.

It does have several gray areas that make me just wanna scream.

Indeed, but it shouldn't make you want to scream. You should just realize the stereotyping doesn't matter :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:53:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

I know a lesbian who enjoys sex with men but still considers herself a lesbian (and if you knew/saw her, you would assume she was a strict lesbian lol).

Sexuality is complicated. People are weird.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:54:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:48:58 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 10:59:27 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It is not just an attraction, it is a sexual preference for the same gender as opposed to the opposite gender. It does not mean that you get a boner everytime you see someone of the same gender (just like I don't get a boner every time I see a woman).

You're misusing the term gender. It's not synonymous with sex.

Depends on who you ask. Either way, you know what I mean, so the point is moot.


The reason that it is different medically, is because from a medical standpoint, they don't care too much who you are attracted to, as much as they are in who you have sex with.

I think this would be a mistake. A gay person who never acts on their homosexual desires is still gay.

Yes, but I don't think they found a single gay/straight disease that is not sexual in nature. Though correct me if I'm wrong.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:58:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I disagree with everyone who said that homosexuality requires exclusive attraction to the same sex. The more I learn about sex, gender and sexuality, the more I realize how hard it is to define and stereotype thereby making most classifications useless aside from being generalizations - and they should be recognized as such. As the OP brings up, there are a ton of other factors to consider, and those factors are largely subjective (or merely social constructs) in themselves.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex?

I'd say no; it likely requires enjoyment of a sexual experience with one of the same sex.

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

The desire and the enjoyment. I know some lesbians who wanted to have sex with a guy just to try it, but the reality of the experience wasn't as great as the idea of it.

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Attraction is different then noticing that someone IS attractive. It seems attraction would be mandatory, sure...

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

I don't know what this means, because the two are not the same thing. One's sex is determined by their biological genitalia (this can get complicated when you bring up transexuals and the like, but let's not get into that for now...). Gender refers to the social constructs people have devised based on gender. See my post to lovelife for more info. In short, a biological female could identify as male and vice versa.

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs. Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:00:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:54:25 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Depends on who you ask. Either way, you know what I mean, so the point is moot.

Sure, you can ask anyone anything, and some people will be wrong :)

Yes, but I don't think they found a single gay/straight disease that is not sexual in nature. Though correct me if I'm wrong.

I dunno what this means.
President of DDO
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:12:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:53:27 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

I know a lesbian who enjoys sex with men but still considers herself a lesbian (and if you knew/saw her, you would assume she was a strict lesbian lol).

Sexuality is complicated. People are weird.

I think CN is closer than you think... your example is perhaps an outlier. Self-identification of sexual orientation probably isn't very reliable when it's inconsistent with action....

If someone has sex only with men, but considers themselves straight, is he straight or gay?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:13:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:53:27 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

I know a lesbian who enjoys sex with men but still considers herself a lesbian (and if you knew/saw her, you would assume she was a strict lesbian lol).

I'd call her bisexual I guess, just with a preference for women? But I like the fact we can admit to stereotypes!

Sexuality is complicated. People are weird.

Yea, despite what I just said maybe it's best to avoid labels or use them as loosely as possible. I took stock of what I know about my 'straight' male friends recently and though it's hardly scientific I think that bisexuality or bi-curious attitudes are more common than people think.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:18:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Strictly speaking, homosexuality is the condition of being a homosexual... so I assume we're talking about what a homosexual is.

I think it's not fair to say it hinges solely on identity or solely on action - someone is not a homosexual just because they say they are, and someone is not a homosexual just because they enjoy sex with people of the same sex.

I would say that you have to have a desire for romantic and erotic love with someone of the same sex or gender. I say gender because a M who loves a F->M T is probably still gay, and same for a F loving a M->F T.
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:21:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 1:13:08 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yea, despite what I just said maybe it's best to avoid labels or use them as loosely as possible.

Though now it's getting a little ridiculous. We went from LGBT to LGBTTQQA and I think I'm missing like 2-3 there.

I took stock of what I know about my 'straight' male friends recently and though it's hardly scientific I think that bisexuality or bi-curious attitudes are more common than people think.

Psychology Today had a great article on this a while ago... I think it was probably like a year and a half, but they said that sexuality is more fluid for women. But I'm not sure if the same thing went for men... though I'm sure you are correct that bi-curious/bisexuals are more common than we think. MUCH more common.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:21:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:58:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
I disagree with everyone who said that homosexuality requires exclusive attraction to the same sex.

That is what I always assumed it to be, but as sexuality seems to be a spectrum maybe absolute homosexuals are a minority? I have no way of knowing.

The desire and the enjoyment. I know some lesbians who wanted to have sex with a guy just to try it, but the reality of the experience wasn't as great as the idea of it.

I think this is the complicated factor, I don't normally think of people that are capable or willing of just mechanically attempting sex with someone they are not attracted to. Which may be an odd thing for a man to say.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 2:32:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 1:12:23 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 11/22/2011 12:53:27 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

I know a lesbian who enjoys sex with men but still considers herself a lesbian (and if you knew/saw her, you would assume she was a strict lesbian lol).

Sexuality is complicated. People are weird.

I think CN is closer than you think... your example is perhaps an outlier. Self-identification of sexual orientation probably isn't very reliable when it's inconsistent with action....

If someone has sex only with men, but considers themselves straight, is he straight or gay?

I think the point that Danielle and I are making is that although that position seems logical, in real life, it actually seems as though what you and CN are describing is actually an outlier.

As in, gay men that have never had sex with a women are probably rare; that those that have never had any interest in women are probably a smaller proportion than we think.

Moreover, there are those that are a certain sex, but are not the same gender. Wouldn't attraction apply specifically to gender, but not to sex?

For example, this is a man: http://www.onlineweblibrary.com...

Does it make you gay to be attracted to that person?

Because, if you find that person sexually attractive, by your and CN's description, you're gay.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 2:35:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 1:13:08 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Yea, despite what I just said maybe it's best to avoid labels or use them as loosely as possible. I took stock of what I know about my 'straight' male friends recently and though it's hardly scientific I think that bisexuality or bi-curious attitudes are more common than people think.

^^^

Indeed, sir, indeed.

The point I'm driving at is it appears that sexual distinctions are rather fallacious. Granted, I do consider myself straight, but what does that really mean? Would I think twice if Mila Kunis says that she'll sleep with me on condition that it's a threesome with another dude?

Yes. Yes, I would, personal sexuality notwithstanding.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 6:18:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2011 2:32:11 AM, Ren wrote:
At 11/22/2011 1:12:23 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
At 11/22/2011 12:53:27 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/22/2011 11:53:49 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Exclusivity of desire for the same sex. You want to have sex with people of the same gender only.

I know a lesbian who enjoys sex with men but still considers herself a lesbian (and if you knew/saw her, you would assume she was a strict lesbian lol).

Sexuality is complicated. People are weird.

I think CN is closer than you think... your example is perhaps an outlier. Self-identification of sexual orientation probably isn't very reliable when it's inconsistent with action....

If someone has sex only with men, but considers themselves straight, is he straight or gay?

I think the point that Danielle and I are making is that although that position seems logical, in real life, it actually seems as though what you and CN are describing is actually an outlier.

As in, gay men that have never had sex with a women are probably rare; that those that have never had any interest in women are probably a smaller proportion than we think.

Moreover, there are those that are a certain sex, but are not the same gender. Wouldn't attraction apply specifically to gender, but not to sex?

For example, this is a man: http://www.onlineweblibrary.com...

Does it make you gay to be attracted to that person?

Because, if you find that person sexually attractive, by your and CN's description, you're gay.

Oh noes I am a gay!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:40:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It begins for most gays when straights become interested in girls. Thats what they tell me.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:41:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 11:27:58 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/22/2011 10:55:35 AM, Ren wrote:
I've had a lot of conversations on here recently about homosexuality and something occurred to me. I can't actually identify when homosexuality begins.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex? As in, if you are a man and find a man attractive despite appearance, would that evidence you as a homosexual?

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

Can a hermaphrodite be a homosexual?

What would you call someone who maintains every semblance of a homosexual relationship, but with someone who doesn't appeal to gender distinctions of the opposite sex?

Medically speaking, homosexuality is when you have sex with someone of the same sex. Socially speaking, it's supposed to be sexual attraction to someone of the same sex, irregardless of gender. Those do not seem to be adequate definitions in real life...

Its a demonic influence that is part of our dying and immoral culture. Period.

This
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 11:45:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:58:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
I disagree with everyone who said that homosexuality requires exclusive attraction to the same sex. The more I learn about sex, gender and sexuality, the more I realize how hard it is to define and stereotype thereby making most classifications useless aside from being generalizations - and they should be recognized as such. As the OP brings up, there are a ton of other factors to consider, and those factors are largely subjective (or merely social constructs) in themselves.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex?

I'd say no; it likely requires enjoyment of a sexual experience with one of the same sex.

So virgins are nonsexual.

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

The desire and the enjoyment. I know some lesbians who wanted to have sex with a guy just to try it, but the reality of the experience wasn't as great as the idea of it.

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Attraction is different then noticing that someone IS attractive. It seems attraction would be mandatory, sure...

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

I don't know what this means, because the two are not the same thing. One's sex is determined by their biological genitalia (this can get complicated when you bring up transexuals and the like, but let's not get into that for now...). Gender refers to the social constructs people have devised based on gender. See my post to lovelife for more info. In short, a biological female could identify as male and vice versa.

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs. Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 10:29:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Icky
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 11:43:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:58:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

I don't know what this means, because the two are not the same thing. One's sex is determined by their biological genitalia (this can get complicated when you bring up transexuals and the like, but let's not get into that for now...). Gender refers to the social constructs people have devised based on gender. See my post to lovelife for more info. In short, a biological female could identify as male and vice versa.

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs. Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

That distinction is literally why I asked whether it requires both?

Don't you see my point?

If a person's sex is male, but his gender is female, and he sleeps with another person who's sex is male and who's gender is male, are both of those people gay? One? Neither? The second person, especially -- a man who is attracted to women sleeping with a man who considers himself a woman -- what is that, exactly?

LOL, this is beginning to look like some sort of quest for identity, but it's not. :P I don't actually expect an answer. My point was to highlight something Danielle said earlier -- most of the sexual distinctions we make are merely generalized stereotypes, and have no real meaning.

Homosexuality isn't even relevant, but that we obsess over it for no reason whatsoever.
Wain84
Posts: 41
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 7:32:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is something that should not be discriminated against, our country is permeated with anti-homosexuality. I find the assertion that homosexuality is immoral absurd.
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 11:42:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am attracted to females, but not in a sexual/intimate sense, but I prefer to build non romantic relationships with females, instead of males. I am sexually AND romantically attracted to men, and therefor am a homosexual. You need to feel both to be a homosexual, in my opinion.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 7:03:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/28/2011 8:36:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
It is only gay if the balls touch.:

And an old Navy and Coast Guard adage: "It's not gay if you're underway, it's only queer at the pier." :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:07:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Kinsey defined a seven point scale covering the spectrum from exclusive heterosexuality (0) to bisexuality (3) and exclusive homosexuality (7). He collected volumes of data on the preferences as exhibited in the general population.

The spectrum is consisted with the theory that a cluster of genes, not just one gene, determine sexual preference.

Asexuals don't get much press, but it seems that perhaps 2% of the population has no desire for sex at all. Kinsey made a special category for that status. At asexual bars, discussion of tax policy is popular.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 4:57:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/22/2011 12:58:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
I disagree with everyone who said that homosexuality requires exclusive attraction to the same sex. The more I learn about sex, gender and sexuality, the more I realize how hard it is to define and stereotype thereby making most classifications useless aside from being generalizations - and they should be recognized as such. As the OP brings up, there are a ton of other factors to consider, and those factors are largely subjective (or merely social constructs) in themselves.

Is it simply an attraction to to the same sex?

I'd say no; it likely requires enjoyment of a sexual experience with one of the same sex.

Or, is it the desire to have sex with someone of the same sex despite appearance?

The desire and the enjoyment. I know some lesbians who wanted to have sex with a guy just to try it, but the reality of the experience wasn't as great as the idea of it.

Conversely, is it an attraction to or a desire to have sex with someone of the same gender despite sex?

Attraction is different then noticing that someone IS attractive. It seems attraction would be mandatory, sure...

Or, does it require both the same sex and gender?

I don't know what this means, because the two are not the same thing. One's sex is determined by their biological genitalia (this can get complicated when you bring up transexuals and the like, but let's not get into that for now...). Gender refers to the social constructs people have devised based on gender. See my post to lovelife for more info. In short, a biological female could identify as male and vice versa.

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs. Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

Gender is a very problematic term, especially when we also have feminity.. and self identified woman or female.... I blame the feminists ;) ....the term gender is superflous and limiting to a coherent understanding of the issues. Alot of these types of conception came about from the free for all manipulations and contradictory expressionisms from relativist post-modern ideology..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL