Jump to topic:

Super powers...

Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:43:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If one was to have super powers, would they be obligated to use the powers to help society?
For example would it be considered wrong for someone to just use the power for personal gain? Or possibly just casually help people without dedicating significant amount of time or thought to "fighting crime"?
Would the selfish use of powers eventually lead to character decay and becoming a super villain?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 1:21:05 PM
At 11/22/2011 12:43:09 PM, Im_always_right wrote:
If one was to have super powers, would they be obligated to use the powers to help society?
For example would it be considered wrong for someone to just use the power for personal gain? Or possibly just casually help people without dedicating significant amount of time or thought to "fighting crime"?
Would the selfish use of powers eventually lead to character decay and becoming a super villain?

Someone with powers wouldn't be any more obligated to help society than the rest of us are obligated to donate blood, assist charities, be organ donors, etc.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:29:28 PM
At 11/22/2011 1:21:05 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Someone with powers wouldn't be any more obligated to help society than the rest of us are obligated to donate blood, assist charities, be organ donors, etc.

This
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 3:52:53 PM

See Ring of Gyges.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 4:28:32 PM
If I were to acquire a super-power, I'd probably be an anti-hero.
I have a warped sense of right and wrong, so I couldn't be a hero, but I have a conscience, so I couldn't be an outright villain.

Somewhere in the grey area.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 4:33:43 PM

Depends on one's moral code. Just as I consider having a reasonable obligation to assist those around me, and increase in power would increase one's ability to reasonably assist.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 7:37:25 PM
At 11/22/2011 4:28:32 PM, tvellalott wrote:
If I were to acquire a super-power, I'd probably be an anti-hero.
I have a warped sense of right and wrong, so I couldn't be a hero, but I have a conscience, so I couldn't be an outright villain.

Somewhere in the grey area.

This
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit