Jump to topic:

Teenagers In Today's World

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:12:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have always wondered about this question. What is it like being a teenager in todays world. You see what is going on with our culture, and in the news about how politics is affecting our lives. And yes, we are still dealing with the worst economic crisis sense the Great Depression. So I am curious. I want to know what is it like being a teen or growing up in the new millenium. Is peer pressure still an issue ? Do you deal with bullying ? Do you feel discouraged about the environment you live in ? Please explain.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:28:33 AM
No its fine.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:54:11 AM
inferno, As far as I'm concerned, age 31 is within rounding error of being a teenager.

As far as i can see, teenagers have the same challenges as always. They desperately want to declare independence from parents, but mostly do not know enough to chart their own course. Except, of course, for teenage boys who know exactly what they want, and always have.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:58:47 AM
At 12/1/2011 11:54:11 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
inferno, As far as I'm concerned, age 31 is within rounding error of being a teenager.

As far as i can see, teenagers have the same challenges as always. They desperately want to declare independence from parents, but mostly do not know enough to chart their own course. Except, of course, for teenage boys who know exactly what they want, and always have.

Uh OK. But when you are 31, you are much more mature in many ways than you were before. And you are more thorough in mind as it shows. They may have the same challeneges in general. But the elements are much more serious nowadays than ever before, and more influential, too.
days3331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 6:02:56 PM
I'm sure it's the same as every age.

Although, I think our pressure to succeed is much more intense while our chances of succeeding are much lower. I don't know if this is true, it's just how I feel.
days3331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 6:16:09 PM
For example, I'm in university, and everyone I know stresses about finding jobs once we graduate.

A lot of us came to university so we could improve our job prospects. But if we're lucky enough to get a job when we graduate, we're making 45 000 a year at some entry level job that we think we're too good for after four years of university, if we're lucky. So now a lot of us think we have to go to grad school. Meanwhile, student debt is piling and our prospects grow dimmer.

I know it could be our perspective that makes things difficult but we're brought up to believe that the best go to university. We're told we're smart, we're educated, we're great in university and that we're all going to go out there and find amazing jobs. We expect to own a car, a home and have a family but especially where I live, 45 000 a year means I can live comfortably in my mom's basement using public transit.

So I guess if one word can sum out our experience, it would be 'hopeless'.

Also, bullying and peer pressure exists at any age. Kids are vicious!
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 8:54:54 PM
At 12/1/2011 11:12:12 AM, inferno wrote:
I have always wondered about this question. What is it like being a teenager in todays world. You see what is going on with our culture, and in the news about how politics is affecting our lives. And yes, we are still dealing with the worst economic crisis sense the Great Depression. So I am curious. I want to know what is it like being a teen or growing up in the new millenium. Is peer pressure still an issue ? Do you deal with bullying ? Do you feel discouraged about the environment you live in ? Please explain.

Here's a perspective from a teenager himself:
Peer pressure is definitely still an issue. At my school, drug use is very common. I would estimate that in eighth grade we had about 10% of the kids try/use marijuana and it has gone up to about 25% in one year. Other freshman have reverted to cocaine and heroine. Don't think I grow up in a poorer neighborhood, most of these kids are spoiled in big houses. Yes, I do deal with bullying to an extent. Some of it comes from doing Speech and Debate and sports at the same time, for most people don't and the sports kids will give you a derogatory name for it. I am not the worst victim but bullying is still the same as it was before. As far as the new millennium goes, most kids are apathetic. For me, I am just unsure. I do not know what the world is going to be like in a few years. Nobody does, but it seems to be dismal. I try not to worry about it too much but it's basically just confusion and uncertainty, not a real "fear". I don't know if other people had this problem as a kid but for me I just can't picture myself in twenty years. Sometimes I contemplate on whether or not my life will be positive in ten years but that just provides a motivation for me to work harder. Most of my ideas on the future are probably inaccurate though, I imagine everyone 30 years ago thought we'd be on Mars by now. That was kind of long..but just my perspective. It's cool to know that someone cares. Conclusion: Teenagers aren't that much "different" other than the fact that they now have iphones and more drugs are used. As far as the economy/world goes most kids are apathetic. Most kids are most concerned with getting girls/guys and getting good grades.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 8:55:21 PM
It's pretty much the same, I'd assume, though I'm not old enough to really validate this though I'm young enough to share an opinion on the teens of this era. I think we're all a lot more exposed to sexuality in television and a lot more open about it. We think authority figures are to be laughed at or stupid, though who wouldn't? I mean, sodomy is still illegal in some places as if it is something you can monitor, control, and punish people for. Religion is becoming less and less important, and the internet is pretty much making children mature or be corrupted much faster than ever before. Also, a lot of teens are just plain morons that don't think ahead.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 9:15:20 PM
At 12/1/2011 8:54:54 PM, cameronl35 wrote:

Peer pressure is definitely still an issue. At my school, drug use is very common. I would estimate that in eighth grade we had about 10% of the kids try/use marijuana and it has gone up to about 25% in one year.

On DDO the number is somewhere around 99%.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 9:20:44 PM
At 12/1/2011 9:15:20 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/1/2011 8:54:54 PM, cameronl35 wrote:

Peer pressure is definitely still an issue. At my school, drug use is very common. I would estimate that in eighth grade we had about 10% of the kids try/use marijuana and it has gone up to about 25% in one year.

On DDO the number is somewhere around 99%.

In that case I'm in the 1%, lol. No but keep in mind we are referring to freshmen here.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Willoweed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:16:42 PM
most teenagesr are fien unless they are raied by conservatives becaue theyn they have sex without condomsare idiots racsits and dipshits
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 1:04:42 AM
Being a Teen in today's world depends on your perspective. Im 18 (not for much longer) but I have always faced the future with optimism even though I have been given reasons to face the future with worry or fear, but I am generally Happy. Peer pressure is always constant but as you grow older you learn to fight it better and make better choices. I personally dont deal with bullying but I do know several people who are faced with it, but it is mostly cyber-bullying on facebook when one person posts something about a friend even though they dont actually name them, etc. As for the environment, I am currently in college (the college of my dreams, UM) so in the environment I live in I am very happy and all that. Outside of UM though I still view the world through the problems it has, i live in spitting distance of Miami and I see the problems of energy consumption, waste, pollution, crime, etc.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 4:06:31 PM
At 12/1/2011 11:12:12 AM, inferno wrote:

It sucks ! The music is crap and I disagree with all the values of my peers. But generally the same just like everything.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 4:10:21 PM
At 12/1/2011 8:55:21 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
It's pretty much the same, I'd assume, though I'm not old enough to really validate this though I'm young enough to share an opinion on the teens of this era. I think we're all a lot more exposed to sexuality in television and a lot more open about it.

Bullshyt I follow the bible cover to cover word through word.

We think authority figures are to be laughed at or stupid, though who wouldn't?

Bullshyt

I mean, sodomy is still illegal in some places as if it is something you can monitor, control, and punish people for. Religion is becoming less and less important, and the internet is pretty much making children mature or be corrupted much faster than ever before.

bullshyt religion is very important in my life.

Also, a lot of teens are just plain morons that don't think ahead.

Bullshyt
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 8:29:27 PM
At 12/2/2011 4:10:21 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
It's pretty much the same, I'd assume, though I'm not old enough to really validate this though I'm young enough to share an opinion on the teens of this era. I think we're all a lot more exposed to sexuality in television and a lot more open about it.

Bullshyt

I mean, sodomy is still illegal in some places as if it is something you can monitor, control, and punish people for. Religion is becoming less and less important, and the internet is pretty much making children mature or be corrupted much faster than ever before.

Bullshyt

We're talking about teenagers and the majority. Not you.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 9:29:14 PM
At 12/2/2011 8:29:27 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

I am a teenager OK
Dude. Shades
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 11:27:32 PM
At 12/2/2011 9:29:14 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
At 12/2/2011 8:29:27 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

I am a teenager OK

http://www.crosswalk.com...

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

http://pewresearch.org...

http://www.freerepublic.com...

All of these prove that religion is growing less important in society and that we teenagers are all morons.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 6:47:28 PM
At 12/1/2011 6:16:09 PM, days3331 wrote:
For example, I'm in university, and everyone I know stresses about finding jobs once we graduate.

A lot of us came to university so we could improve our job prospects. But if we're lucky enough to get a job when we graduate, we're making 45 000 a year at some entry level job that we think we're too good for after four years of university, if we're lucky. So now a lot of us think we have to go to grad school. Meanwhile, student debt is piling and our prospects grow dimmer.

I know it could be our perspective that makes things difficult but we're brought up to believe that the best go to university. We're told we're smart, we're educated, we're great in university and that we're all going to go out there and find amazing jobs. We expect to own a car, a home and have a family but especially where I live, 45 000 a year means I can live comfortably in my mom's basement using public transit.

So I guess if one word can sum out our experience, it would be 'hopeless'.

Also, bullying and peer pressure exists at any age. Kids are vicious!

You think $45,000 is an "entry level" job. LOL You do realize that only 15% of the population makes over $75,000. More than 15% go to college.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 6:53:36 PM
Sadolite:
No, economics is as simple as adding one plus one.
Sadolite:
Forgive my ingnorence, but I do have a question that is relevant to the queation at hand. How does one apply this in a real world situation with ragard to economics or business

Now put the last post to put it into context.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 7:00:37 PM
At 12/4/2011 6:53:36 PM, sadolite wrote:
Sadolite:
Sadolite:
Forgive my ingnorence, but I do have a question that is relevant to the queation at hand. How does one apply this in a real world situation with ragard to economics or business

You think $45,000 is an "entry level" job. LOL You do realize that only 15% of the population makes over $75,000. More than 15% go to college.

You do realize $45,000 =/= $75,000 right?
Open borders debate:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 10:05:09 PM

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

Teenagers brains are not yet fully developed and, as such, they don't have fully-formed abilities to think ahead.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 10:30:11 PM
Teenagers have to deal with some of the dumbest people in the world and respect them just because said people are older.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 7:58:21 AM
At 12/4/2011 10:30:11 PM, rogue wrote:
Teenagers have to deal with some of the dumbest people in the world and respect them just because said people are older.

I was hoping I would get a more intelligent answer from someone like you my beloeved Rogue. An adult could easily say that you are dumb simply because you are young and unexperienced. It goes both ways, you see. =)
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 10:19:28 PM
At 12/4/2011 10:05:09 PM, Oryus wrote:

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

Teenagers brains are not yet fully developed and, as such, they don't have fully-formed abilities to think ahead.

Exactly. Morons.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:52:22 AM
At 12/5/2011 10:19:28 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

Exactly. Morons.

Oh really. Well everyone has to go through that phase you know.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 7:57:55 AM
At 12/4/2011 7:00:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite:
Sadolite:

You do realize that you don't realize.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:03:57 AM
At 12/6/2011 7:57:55 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/4/2011 7:00:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Sadolite:
Sadolite:

You do realize that you don't realize.

You can get a great education on a budget or at a good techinical school.
Some people are living in places where they cannot afford to. They should move out into the country and work their way up first and secure their finances.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 3:57:18 PM
At 12/6/2011 7:52:22 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/5/2011 10:19:28 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:

Bullshyt

Bullshyt

Exactly. Morons.

Oh really. Well everyone has to go through that phase you know.

I know. I'm in it. I've called myself a moron like fifty times in this thread.