Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Social Awkwardness Is A Myth

WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:40:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

Not for aspies, there's one at my school who I speak to frequently and he's obsessed with conservative politics. He meets tons of conservative politicians and attends all these meetings and is really quite social - just incredibly awkward. You would think he would learn from experience, he just doesn't.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:46:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

But inability to conform to basic social norms, even If living in a place for long periods of times, is the bases for socially awkwardness. Yea social norms are different in different areas, but inability to conform and learn them is part of social awkardness. Just like your not necessarily dumb If you don't know how to read (some cultures most people aren't literate). But If you are taught it and can't grasp it, you are dumb.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:48:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

Actually, awkward is synonymous with clumsy, clunky, inconvenient, difficult, strained, labored, etc. http://www.synonym.com...

So, in fact autism can and does entail social awkwardness.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:49:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:46:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

But inability to conform to basic social norms, even If living in a place for long periods of times, is the bases for socially awkwardness. Yea social norms are different in different areas, but inability to conform and learn them is part of social awkardness. Just like your not necessarily dumb If you don't know how to read (some cultures most people aren't literate). But If you are taught it and can't grasp it, you are dumb.

But the people considered 'social' are the ones who decide who is 'socially awkward' in spite of the fact they don't ever associate with the 'awkward' who attend the same events and have the same amount or quality of friends as they do.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 3:53:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

You don't know awkwardness until you've seen Aspergers.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 4:15:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:53:52 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

You don't know awkwardness until you've seen Aspergers.

I just said my sister has it. Aspergers is a sect of Autism.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 4:34:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 3:46:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:41:44 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:35:48 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:31:30 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 12/11/2011 3:27:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I know a few people with Aspergers who are unbelievably awkward. I sometimes mix up autism and aspergers. To Selbe, when we refer to "socially awkward" we are presupposing certain social norms. I suppose if 99% of the population had aspergers there would be no such thing as social awkwardness - but it would be one hell of a world.

Well social awkwardness is a spectrum though. And the less you interact with people in the real world, the more socially awkward you are. It's not a myth but a simple reality. Just like there are unintelligent people out there.

I know people with autism. My sister has it...and OCD, and ADHD, and Tourettes.. But again, I wouldn't consider them socially awkward but rather on a different spectrum as awkwardness is synonymous with weirdness. Weirdness is subjective to the society that you're in, so nothing can really be awkward.

But inability to conform to basic social norms, even If living in a place for long periods of times, is the bases for socially awkwardness. Yea social norms are different in different areas, but inability to conform and learn them is part of social awkardness. Just like your not necessarily dumb If you don't know how to read (some cultures most people aren't literate). But If you are taught it and can't grasp it, you are dumb.

Actually, awkwardness tends to come from the misreading or misinterpretation of social (especially for Aspies).

Consider an extreme case: autism. If you smile at a child with autism, they may not smile back.

Is this because the kid is in a bad mood? Because he's an ashole? Because he doesn't know social norms?

No, it's because his brain does not recognize and reflect a social cue like "smiling" the way ordinary brains do. With training through flashcards and simulations, someone with autism can learn to recognize social cues, but this takes actual neo-cortex forethought. The rest of us mirror emotions and take in cues automatically.

Aspies big problem is along those lines. It is much, much harder for someone with Aspergers to find the appropriate line between "normal" and "excessive" behavior.

For instance, while a normal person might talk about conservative politics until everything else wants to change the subject, someone with Aspergers may not notice that his behavior is becoming excessive and he will continue ranting about politics.

If you ever watched the television show Bones, that's a good example of borderline-autism (she is worse than typical asperger's). She is intellectually "familiar" with social customs yet continually fails to appropriately draw the line when she communicates.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 7:06:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

But the people considered 'social' are the ones who decide who is 'socially awkward' in spite of the fact they don't ever associate with the 'awkward' who attend the same events and have the same amount or quality of friends as they do.

i dont think you know what social awkwardness is. your confusing it with "cool" if you have many quality friends you are not socially awkward. i have one friend who i hangout/talk with 4 months out of the year when were on summer or winter break from college. and i can get along with some of his other friends for a while but overall i am very uncomfortable in social situations.

i was playing blackjack at a casino with some loud non awkward people last night, and they were put off by me because i dont talk very much and dont scream out loud everytime i get a blackjack. after they left i played at the table alone for like 30 mins and the dealer asked if i would like to go to a diff table with other people. i did but didnt really want to.

so my point is that you are not socially awkward you are weird. im both, but they are two very different things. you also seem to want to be able to act any way you want and be considered cool, but this is not likely to happen. if you dont like being considered different than you can conform to the norms. but you can t be socially accepted while acting in a socially unaccepted manner.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 10:13:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 7:06:09 PM, kogline wrote:

But the people considered 'social' are the ones who decide who is 'socially awkward' in spite of the fact they don't ever associate with the 'awkward' who attend the same events and have the same amount or quality of friends as they do.

i dont think you know what social awkwardness is. your confusing it with "cool" if you have many quality friends you are not socially awkward. i have one friend who i hangout/talk with 4 months out of the year when were on summer or winter break from college. and i can get along with some of his other friends for a while but overall i am very uncomfortable in social situations.

i was playing blackjack at a casino with some loud non awkward people last night, and they were put off by me because i dont talk very much and dont scream out loud everytime i get a blackjack. after they left i played at the table alone for like 30 mins and the dealer asked if i would like to go to a diff table with other people. i did but didnt really want to.

so my point is that you are not socially awkward you are weird. im both, but they are two very different things. you also seem to want to be able to act any way you want and be considered cool, but this is not likely to happen. if you dont like being considered different than you can conform to the norms. but you can t be socially accepted while acting in a socially unaccepted manner.

Ok, yes, I'm weird, but we're talking about a concept, not a scenario or person. If a person doesn't view their behavior as awkward, then it isn't at all awkward. It's the same as the theory of moral subjectivity or believing morality itself doesn't exist. It's more of a behavioral subjectivity. Go back and read the other posts and the actual discussion we're having.

My friend and I came across the topic of social awkwardness when we were discussing two people that would be going to a dance. She said that the male of the pair was a bit awkward because he would often stare off into space. I said that wasn't exactly awkward and he has a lot of friends so he can't at all be deemed 'socially awkward.' Then I proceeded to discuss theories with her on how social awkwardness doesn't exist just as most things social do not.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 4:50:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/12/2011 10:13:47 AM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 7:06:09 PM, kogline wrote:

But the people considered 'social' are the ones who decide who is 'socially awkward' in spite of the fact they don't ever associate with the 'awkward' who attend the same events and have the same amount or quality of friends as they do.

i dont think you know what social awkwardness is. your confusing it with "cool" if you have many quality friends you are not socially awkward. i have one friend who i hangout/talk with 4 months out of the year when were on summer or winter break from college. and i can get along with some of his other friends for a while but overall i am very uncomfortable in social situations.

i was playing blackjack at a casino with some loud non awkward people last night, and they were put off by me because i dont talk very much and dont scream out loud everytime i get a blackjack. after they left i played at the table alone for like 30 mins and the dealer asked if i would like to go to a diff table with other people. i did but didnt really want to.

so my point is that you are not socially awkward you are weird. im both, but they are two very different things. you also seem to want to be able to act any way you want and be considered cool, but this is not likely to happen. if you dont like being considered different than you can conform to the norms. but you can t be socially accepted while acting in a socially unaccepted manner.

Ok, yes, I'm weird, but we're talking about a concept, not a scenario or person. If a person doesn't view their behavior as awkward, then it isn't at all awkward. It's the same as the theory of moral subjectivity or believing morality itself doesn't exist. It's more of a behavioral subjectivity. Go back and read the other posts and the actual discussion we're having.

My friend and I came across the topic of social awkwardness when we were discussing two people that would be going to a dance. She said that the male of the pair was a bit awkward because he would often stare off into space. I said that wasn't exactly awkward and he has a lot of friends so he can't at all be deemed 'socially awkward.' Then I proceeded to discuss theories with her on how social awkwardness doesn't exist just as most things social do not.

you point out that he has friends and even a date and so therefore he is not socially awkward, i agree. then you go on to say social awkwardness doesnt exist, i disagree.

you keep pointing out examples of people who are not socially awkward and saying look no such thing no such thing, but the fact is there are many people who dont have friends and/or do not function well in social situations. your talking about the uncool kids and saying they are not socially awkward because they all hangout together. but social awkward and uncool are too diff things.

the socially awkward people are not the weird people who hang out wiht other weird people they are the people who dont have friends because they dont know how to behave in social situations.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:28:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/12/2011 4:50:24 PM, kogline wrote:
At 12/12/2011 10:13:47 AM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/11/2011 7:06:09 PM, kogline wrote:

But the people considered 'social' are the ones who decide who is 'socially awkward' in spite of the fact they don't ever associate with the 'awkward' who attend the same events and have the same amount or quality of friends as they do.

i dont think you know what social awkwardness is. your confusing it with "cool" if you have many quality friends you are not socially awkward. i have one friend who i hangout/talk with 4 months out of the year when were on summer or winter break from college. and i can get along with some of his other friends for a while but overall i am very uncomfortable in social situations.

i was playing blackjack at a casino with some loud non awkward people last night, and they were put off by me because i dont talk very much and dont scream out loud everytime i get a blackjack. after they left i played at the table alone for like 30 mins and the dealer asked if i would like to go to a diff table with other people. i did but didnt really want to.

so my point is that you are not socially awkward you are weird. im both, but they are two very different things. you also seem to want to be able to act any way you want and be considered cool, but this is not likely to happen. if you dont like being considered different than you can conform to the norms. but you can t be socially accepted while acting in a socially unaccepted manner.

Ok, yes, I'm weird, but we're talking about a concept, not a scenario or person. If a person doesn't view their behavior as awkward, then it isn't at all awkward. It's the same as the theory of moral subjectivity or believing morality itself doesn't exist. It's more of a behavioral subjectivity. Go back and read the other posts and the actual discussion we're having.

My friend and I came across the topic of social awkwardness when we were discussing two people that would be going to a dance. She said that the male of the pair was a bit awkward because he would often stare off into space. I said that wasn't exactly awkward and he has a lot of friends so he can't at all be deemed 'socially awkward.' Then I proceeded to discuss theories with her on how social awkwardness doesn't exist just as most things social do not.


you point out that he has friends and even a date and so therefore he is not socially awkward, i agree. then you go on to say social awkwardness doesnt exist, i disagree.

you keep pointing out examples of people who are not socially awkward and saying look no such thing no such thing, but the fact is there are many people who dont have friends and/or do not function well in social situations. your talking about the uncool kids and saying they are not socially awkward because they all hangout together. but social awkward and uncool are too diff things.

the socially awkward people are not the weird people who hang out wiht other weird people they are the people who dont have friends because they dont know how to behave in social situations.

But society itself is subjective, and even if a person had no friends at all, if they weren't at all social creatures then they couldn't be deemed 'socially awkward,' socially being the adjective. Since the social in the phrase doesn't exist, the awkwardness itself doesn't.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:57:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

But society itself is subjective, and even if a person had no friends at all, if they weren't at all social creatures then they couldn't be deemed 'socially awkward,' socially being the adjective. Since the social in the phrase doesn't exist, the awkwardness itself doesn't.

society - a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession

society is not subjective, the common ends, interests, or beliefs in the society are different in diff societies but the societies still exist.

if the person in your example tried to enter a society and had trouble with getting along then yes we could call him socially awkward. yes in your example with absolutely no social interactiong whatsoever we can't determine if the person is socially awkward or not, but i think that those circumstances are irrelevant to the point.

no one is completely exempt from social interaction, and like in anything else there are people that are better at social interaction and some that are worse. the people that are particularly bad are called socially awkward.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 8:51:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
you're conceptualizing awkwardness in entirely the wrong way. its not as though someone is either "awkward" or "not awkward" in a vacuum. awkwardness is situational. a person could be awkward in one situation and non-awkward in another. awkwardness doesn't exist as a trait in the same sense as, say, having brown hair, because its not a constant state of being. its a descriptor of the relations between an individual and his/her social environment. people who are awkward in many situations are deemed socially awkward people, just as people who are friendly in many situations are deemed friendly people. but even friendly people can be asshats if they're having a bad day, or don't like the people they are interacting with.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 8:54:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/16/2011 8:51:52 PM, belle wrote:
you're conceptualizing awkwardness in entirely the wrong way. its not as though someone is either "awkward" or "not awkward" in a vacuum. awkwardness is situational. a person could be awkward in one situation and non-awkward in another. awkwardness doesn't exist as a trait in the same sense as, say, having brown hair, because its not a constant state of being. its a descriptor of the relations between an individual and his/her social environment. people who are awkward in many situations are deemed socially awkward people, just as people who are friendly in many situations are deemed friendly people. but even friendly people can be asshats if they're having a bad day, or don't like the people they are interacting with.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense.
failedALIAS
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 1:58:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/11/2011 2:38:39 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
All the time I hear someone is socially awkward or blah, blah, blah. However, we all seem to notice that the group of people deemed 'socially awkward' socialize amongst each other, making it so that the group itself technically isn't awkward while the group deemed 'social' socializes amongst itself.

Taking this into account, one must note that the 'socially awkward' do socialize but the two different groups repel and/or differentiate from each other while they can still interact. This is comparable to religion in a way: essentially all people are the same at the core, but the things they believe in and follow are different. It's like a chimpanzee and a gorilla. Both are of the same type of animal but their species is entirely different---they operate on a different frequency. With this in mind, one can not deem one group 'socially awkward' but rather a whole other social sect entirely. That'd be like saying snakes were 'socially awkward' for not wishing to interact with lizards and vice versa.
"Socially Awkward" doesn't mean that one is incapable of interacting with other people, it simply means they have different motivations, techniques, and feelings toward the interactions. I have Social Anxiety, I am also a Class Clown. This usually happens when I'm in a small well-known group. If I have to deal with large groups I can't even look at them, much less become the star! I am also impulsive, which can lead to saying things I later, or instantly regret. So, meh!
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No Hell below us
Above us only Sky
Imagine All the people living for Today - John Lennon