Jump to topic:

Everybody becoming a vegetarian? Possible

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 10:38:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People often regarding everybody becoming a vegetarian as impossible.

I have decided to take a scientific approach onto this, focusing on the crop of corn.

Crop-
115 bushels per acre.
56 pounds/ bushel
6440 pounds/acre

Farmland-
1.2 x 10 (to the power of)10 acres of available farmland in the world.
1.2 x 10( to the power of) 10 x 6440= 7.728 x 10 (to the power of) 13.
That is 77.28 trillion pounds of corn produces in one year.

People-
There are 7 billion people in the world
7.728 x 10( to the power of) 13/ 7.7 x 10 (to the power of) 9= 11 040

Therefore, there are 11 040 pounds of corn for every single person produced per year.

Now I understand that not all farmland is suitable for corn. But obviously, if we would all become vegetarians, we would eat more than corn. Appropriate farmland would be converted depending on appropriate crop.

The point is that the world has enough farmland to easily support 7 billion people turning vegetarian. I'm not saying that everybody will like it, but it is definitely possible.

http://www.ontariocorn.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 11:13:30 PM
there is no incentive for the average person to be a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian myself. I don't there is any doubt that theoretically everyone can be a vegetarian, but why would people want to?

Furthermore, lets say us vegetarians started taking over and made it illegal to eat meat. If there is a high demand for a good, its going to occur, whether or not a law exisits to stop it or not. It will just turn into the episode of south park in which there was the kfc chicken black market.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 8:22:35 AM
I understand that there are major political and social issues, but the point of this thread was to demonstrate that it is possible. Not likely, but possible.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 8:24:16 AM
At 12/11/2011 11:13:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
there is no incentive for the average person to be a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian myself. I don't there is any doubt that theoretically everyone can be a vegetarian, but why would people want to?

Furthermore, lets say us vegetarians started taking over and made it illegal to eat meat. If there is a high demand for a good, its going to occur, whether or not a law exisits to stop it or not. It will just turn into the episode of south park in which there was the kfc chicken black market.

It depends. The black market might occur in a society such as now.

But if we lived in a society that prohibited eating meat, chances are it would be totalitarian. I have no doubts that a society like the one in "1984" could easily keep a black market from originating, especially over many generations.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 9:02:08 AM
And of course there would be overpopulation of animals, and we would have a problem with getting rid of dead animals. All I can say is I don't want this to happen almost as much as I want izbo banned.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 9:03:10 AM
What dark said. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you ought to.

I tried vegetarianism for 3 days last week, hoping to lose weight. I came to the conclusion that if I lost any weight, it would only be because I kept walking back and forth to the fridge, looking for something else to eat.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 5:32:50 PM
At 12/12/2011 9:03:10 AM, nonentity wrote:
What dark said. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you ought to.

I tried vegetarianism for 3 days last week, hoping to lose weight. I came to the conclusion that if I lost any weight, it would only be because I kept walking back and forth to the fridge, looking for something else to eat.

vegetarian fail.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:41:40 PM
When deciding on what to do with society, one must take away the vision of the person, but instead focus on the vision of the people.

It will be environmentally, economically, and ethically beneficial if everybody was a vegetarian.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:48:26 PM
At 12/12/2011 6:41:40 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
When deciding on what to do with society, one must take away the vision of the person, but instead focus on the vision of the people.

It will be environmentally, economically, and ethically beneficial if everybody was a vegetarian.

Try telling that to Koopin.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:49:51 PM

Except If you do that, its guarantee to fail. People will only follow laws If they have incentives to. People will not give away their meet that easily. There won't be a huge conversion to vegetarianism.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 6:53:06 PM
At 12/12/2011 6:49:51 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Except If you do that, its guarantee to fail. People will only follow laws If they have incentives to. People will not give away their meet that easily. There won't be a huge conversion to vegetarianism.

Of course they will have incentives.

If a society forces them to do this, then we can safely assume that it is authoritarian. Authoritarian societies often place one of the greatest incentives on abiding rules, life.

There will be a conversion if people are forced.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:27:20 PM
At 12/12/2011 6:53:06 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

If a society forces them to do this, then we can safely assume that it is authoritarian. Authoritarian societies often place one of the greatest incentives on abiding rules, life.

I guess I'm going to have to start selng illegal meats then. And Koopin will destroy anyone who attempts to establish the measures you have stated, plus it's discriminatory against meatatarian's and omnivores.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:31:02 PM
At 12/12/2011 7:27:20 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I guess I'm going to have to start selng illegal meats then. And Koopin will destroy anyone who attempts to establish the measures you have stated, plus it's discriminatory against meatatarian's and omnivores.

Well since this idea could only be fully implemented under a totalitarian regime, have fun dying!
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:37:10 PM
Now I'm just a simple American, wanting relatively simple things. One of those simple thing is for the government NOT to ban something that (I would guess) over 70% of the population eats, simply because we can. We can also ban candy, simply because its bad for you(Though Michelle Obama is on here way...). Is that a good idea? I think not.

WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:43:46 PM
At 12/11/2011 10:54:22 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I'll be a vegetarian when Izbo gets elected president.

Wow. You guys have no idea how much power you give him. He hasn't even graced us with his presence in this topic yet his name is mentioned.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 7:44:30 PM
At 12/12/2011 7:31:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Well since this idea could only be fully implemented under a totalitarian regime, have fun dying!

Well, looks as if I'll be leading a meat rebellion. You shall not stand before Americans and our meat!!!

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 9:53:55 PM
At 12/12/2011 7:44:30 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Well, looks as if I'll be leading a meat rebellion. You shall not stand before Americans and our meat!!!

Preach change but never reform too much at once.

You will be dead by the time nobody will be eating meat.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 9:55:01 PM
And if I die, then I will appoint the control of the world to my fellow right-wing vegetarians.

We shall rule you all!!! MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 10:12:39 PM
At 12/12/2011 9:53:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I can build nuclear weapons in my garage, you shall know the fury that is omnivore.
Minister Of Trolling
:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 10:18:22 PM
At 12/12/2011 10:12:39 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I can build nuclear weapons in my garage, you shall know the fury that is omnivore.

We shall not be silenced! WE WILL TRIUMPH!

OMNIVORES, TO ME!

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 10:21:21 PM
At 12/12/2011 10:18:22 PM, OberHerr wrote:

We shall not be silenced! WE WILL TRIUMPH!

OMNIVORES, TO ME!

I hereby call this the Omnivores Forever Movement [or at least until humans become so advanced they no longer have to eat] AKA OFM[oaluhbsatnlhte].
Minister Of Trolling
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 11:08:27 PM

I shall install cameras in your garage and watch you as Big Brother does. Muahah!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 1:11:10 AM
At 12/12/2011 8:22:35 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
I understand that there are major political and social issues, but the point of this thread was to demonstrate that it is possible. Not likely, but possible.

I am told contantly that "anything" is possible. I don't belive it though.

I do find it funny though, that alot of vegans are against agriculture but at the same time want everyone to eat vegatables when the only way to produce enough vegetables for everyone to eat is agriculture.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 6:58:47 AM
At 12/12/2011 11:08:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

I shall install cameras in your garage and watch you as Big Brother does. Muahah!

*Hand hovers over Big Red Button* No, no....it's not time yet.

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:40:08 AM
At 12/13/2011 1:11:10 AM, sadolite wrote:

I do find it funny though, that alot of vegans are against agriculture but at the same time want everyone to eat vegatables when the only way to produce enough vegetables for everyone to eat is agriculture.

Are you sure they aren't just against industrialized agriculture? Or do they really think a hunter-gatherer way of life is possible anymore?

People who think a hunter-gatherer way of life is possible, think that humans weren't meant to eat meat, and/or dislike eating meat because they find animals cute.... all these kinds of vegetarians are embarrassing and seriously need a reality check.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:48:43 AM
At 12/13/2011 9:40:08 AM, Oryus wrote:

Are you sure they aren't just against industrialized agriculture? Or do they really think a hunter-gatherer way of life is possible anymore?

People who think a hunter-gatherer way of life is possible, think that humans weren't meant to eat meat, and/or dislike eating meat because they find animals cute.... all these kinds of vegetarians are embarrassing and seriously need a reality check.

Humans were meant to eat meat and other forms of life that is capable of being processed and digested in a natural manner. The only thing that you veggies seem to not grasp is that meat is not your enemy. It is processed or GM food only. Everything else is fine in moderation as it always been.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 10:13:04 AM
At 12/13/2011 9:48:43 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:40:08 AM, Oryus wrote:

Humans were meant to eat meat and other forms of life that is capable of being processed and digested in a natural manner. The only thing that you veggies seem to not grasp is that meat is not your enemy. It is processed or GM food only. Everything else is fine in moderation as it always been.

I'm sorry, did you read what I actually said?
Please don't refer to me as "you veggies" ever again lest I start calling you disrespectful names for having poor reading comprehension skills.
: