Jump to topic:

Criticize America Thread

WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:18:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Since one's own country is more fun than criticizing others, especially to cynics like myself, I figured I'd make a thread for it. Noncitizens of the United States are welcome to join in.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 10:17:08 PM
We claim to be a pinnacle of democratic government, yet end up electing politicians from the same two political parties with little choice in the matter.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 10:55:30 PM
We elected Obummer.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 11:08:53 PM
We pay too much attention to celebrities, and too little to who really matters (me).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:01:33 AM
At 12/14/2011 11:54:40 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Obese, lazy, scandalous, and always puts the blame on someone else. But enough about me.

Takes talent to be obese AND scandalous.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 8:31:38 AM
You call the United States "America", which is one of my biggest beefs with you people.

There are other countries in "America" goddamit >.<
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 10:37:28 AM
At 12/15/2011 8:31:38 AM, nonentity wrote:
You call the United States "America", which is one of my biggest beefs with you people.

In fact Amerigo Vespucci, after whom the continent is named, never set foot in North America.

Furthermore, he only made two trips to the New World, and never in a more senior position than as a navigator.

What he lacked as an explorer and a leader of men, however, he made up in self-aggrandisement: he wildly exaggerated his roles in the voyages in letters which circulated in influential circles and, eventually, led to the recently-discovered territories being named after this obscure historical figure.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 11:55:34 AM

Yea but only one matters :).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 11:57:42 AM
At 12/15/2011 12:01:33 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/14/2011 11:54:40 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Obese, lazy, scandalous, and always puts the blame on someone else. But enough about me.

Takes talent to be obese AND scandalous.

So, you've been kind of hilarious lately.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:00:10 PM

We're the only one that put "America" in the name.

The world would love to call us stupid, while they mimic our culture, break down our doors, and resent our forethought.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:15:06 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:00:10 PM, Ren wrote:

The world would love to call us stupid, while they mimic our culture, break down our doors, and resent our forethought.

lol have you ever looked at the number of products you use not made in the US?

The thing about Americans is they "borrow" from other cultures without citing the source.

Examples off the top of my head:
The Office and numerous other TV shows
Fashion (You think Gwen Stefani came up with those fabrics on her own?)
Music (You think Beyonce came up with her style on her own or you think it was part of African culture first?)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:15:53 PM

They mimic our culture? Is that why there are so many dang taco times, taco bells, mazatlans, olive gardens and various chinese resturants here?

We have fricken China Towns, does France have an "American Town" section? Does China? Or Russia?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:18:53 PM
At 12/15/2011 11:55:34 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Yea but only one matters :).

I hate you >.<
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:36:01 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:15:06 PM, nonentity wrote:

??? Yeah, part of our economic culture has evolved to embrace outsourcing... which a lot of us disagree with. Not sure what your point is, though.

The thing about Americans is they "borrow" from other cultures without citing the source.

Outright lie!

False. We didn't "borrow" it, we literally bought it -- we asked nicely and offered to pay royalties, and the dude conceded. Then he came here and we gave him even more shows to do on our side of the shore. And, he loves it.

On the other hand -- American Idol, anyone? Ain't so American anymore... hehe.

Fabrics? Dahling, fabrics are not fashion. Presentation is fashion. Attitude is fashion. Gwen Stefani is irrelevant. Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard is relevant. 5th Avenue and Union is relevant. We love and embrace other cultures, though. We allow them to affect, inspire, and influence us. That's what makes us so awesome.

We like a French designer? We'll invite her over for butter and wine and initiate a collaboration that will dazzle the world, baby.

Music (You think Beyonce came up with her style on her own or you think it was part of African culture first?)

Uhhhh... Lol, if you want to go there, then all culture on the planet is African, under that same line of reasoning.

But, no. Our arts especially are 100% original and influential. We produce international artists almost exclusively. In fact, when people want to become successful in any sort of career, they consider the United States one of their best bets.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:38:42 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:15:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
They mimic our culture? Is that why there are so many dang taco times, taco bells, mazatlans, olive gardens and various chinese resturants here?

Well, the fact that they're almost always American versions of those types of cuisine notwithstanding, I didn't say that we're isolationist. Whereas we embrace other cultures, our culture remains the most influential.

We have fricken China Towns, does France have an "American Town" section? Does China? Or Russia?

Lol, no, they fly their asses over and move here, instead. xD

We have those places because it's awesome and the people that comprise those cultures don't want to leave. So, they created little microcultures for themselves, because we're awesome enough to accommodate.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:41:35 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:36:01 PM, Ren wrote:
We love and embrace other cultures, though. We allow them to affect, inspire, and influence us. That's what makes us so awesome.

Posts like this are why other people think Americans are so arrogant. You say the above, while you state that other people mimic your culture?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:42:05 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:15:06 PM, nonentity wrote:

Oh, and speaking of products and Tv's, who do you think came up with the Tv?

Who do you think came up with the computer you're using? Who do you think came up with the QWERTY keyboard you're typing on? Who do you think came up with the gaddamn language you're speaking, fool?!

Lol, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I'm sorry.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:45:31 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:41:35 PM, nonentity wrote:
We love and embrace other cultures, though. We allow them to affect, inspire, and influence us. That's what makes us so awesome.

Posts like this are why other people think Americans are so arrogant. You say the above, while you state that other people mimic your culture?

Yes. From Hip Hop to Pop, Cartoons to latter day inventions; from the Internet to the computer, the newspaper and the motherfcking atomic fission.

Give me a break. The world is practically American right now. History will state it.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:47:30 PM
That isn't necessarily arrogance, though -- in no way did I say anyone was "better." I just think the U.S., culturally speaking, is pretty awesome. Our government and upper class seems to cloud that to the rest of the world, those @ssholes.

I mean, it seems like a lot of people would disagree with me, but culturally speaking, I think the French are really badass, too.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:48:51 PM

The problem is not whether or not it was bought. It is the fact that some Americans think "The Office" is originally American. The fact that a while back, you had to actually Google "The Office UK" in order to get the UK version, which came first.

There was actually a Youtube war a while ago because people were commenting how "Britain's Got Talent" copied "America's Got Talent". Yet which one came first?

There are many other examples. Other countries attach their name to something they've borrowed (eg. "So You Think You Can Dance Canada") while Americans don't do that and so it looks like it was originally theirs.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:51:09 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:47:30 PM, Ren wrote:
That isn't necessarily arrogance, though -- in no way did I say anyone was "better." I just think the U.S., culturally speaking, is pretty awesome. Our government and upper class seems to cloud that to the rest of the world, those @ssholes.

I mean, it seems like a lot of people would disagree with me, but culturally speaking, I think the French are really badass, too.

The arrogance is that when the US "borrows" from other cultures it's because they are accepting. When other countries do it it's because they wanna be like you.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:53:21 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:48:51 PM, nonentity wrote:

The problem is not whether or not it was bought. It is the fact that some Americans think "The Office" is originally American. The fact that a while back, you had to actually Google "The Office UK" in order to get the UK version, which came first.

That's not necessarily true. I mean, when the Office started, it didn't stated in the opening credits, "Based on a similarly hilarious British television show." I'm pretty sure people caught on fairly quickly, though. In any case, your Google experience is likely because Google is an American company.

There was actually a Youtube war a while ago because people were commenting how "Britain's Got Talent" copied "America's Got Talent". Yet which one came first?

American Idol.

There are many other examples. Other countries attach their name to something they've borrowed (eg. "So You Think You Can Dance Canada") while Americans don't do that and so it looks like it was originally theirs.

Well, I dunno. I guess others shouldn't either; then we can be one big, amorphous culture, and whether we're American, British, Colombian, Canadian, or Indonesian, it won't matter! ^_^

And, we can just be hecka awesome together.

I mean, hell; just think of the possibilities. The Rio Carnival + Russians and Asians. Mmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Mm. MMM-mm.