Jump to topic:

Sinking

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:46:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Am I the only one who feels as though society is a ship that's sinking, I'm trapped on it, and there's no stopping it from sinking? Y'know, that really hopeless feeling? I just had a pang of that dread.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:47:31 PM
Yup.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:48:03 PM
Yup as in society is sinking, not that you are the only one thinking so.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:53:03 PM
At 1/1/2012 10:46:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Am I the only one who feels as though society is a ship that's sinking, I'm trapped on it, and there's no stopping it from sinking? Y'know, that really hopeless feeling? I just had a pang of that dread.

Yup.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:55:45 PM
Some perspective always gives me a little comfort:

"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; and the end of the world is evidently approaching. " --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:55:55 PM

Naw, things are just about to change.

So, it doesn't matter whether things as they are currently can be sustained. It's more important to align it in the proper position to allow the necessary changes to happen.

The age of enlightenment is upon us.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 1:14:33 PM

No. I have the same opinion. A war of some sort will likely be the result. I personally think a civil war will break out in America. Not necessarily in the next few years, but I'm fairly convinced it'll happen.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 2:10:00 PM
At 1/1/2012 10:55:45 PM, Wnope wrote:

"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; and the end of the world is evidently approaching. " --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C

The people who complain that children do not obey their parents are the same individuals who did not obey their own parents.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 2:39:56 PM
I think we're in for some sort of societal correction, however this will be within the next 15 years (I don't mean until, but within). Our values are not able to sustain the material hunger that seems to be inherent in our society, so that drastic changes will happen.

I have said it before, when the left and the right find common ground the establishment will crumble.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 3:39:13 PM

You'd have to assume that society was in a better state in the past for it to be "sinking", or--in the most extreme case--idealize former social norms...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:10:11 PM

I've always believed that society is just a shallow mess of mainstream and conformity that attempts to simplify life, morality, philosophy for the masses. All it does is create a massive illusion of fulfillment and happiness by creating a standard by which the majority can feel accepted but minorities will be alienated.

In order for society to be a sinking ship, it must have somehow made it afloat. No, society is a rickety tower of lies on the verge of collapse.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 4:22:20 PM
If i named why I thought it was sinking I would get attacked by ya'll
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 6:42:03 PM
At 1/2/2012 4:22:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Is it something like "It's the Liberal's fault"?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 6:48:20 PM
I say we separate into a bunch of independent city states, each city state will have its own philosophy and whichever state you agree with most is where you live ... :D
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 7:00:34 PM
At 1/2/2012 6:48:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I say we separate into a bunch of independent city states, each city state will have its own philosophy and whichever state you agree with most is where you live ... :D

Ancient Greece for the win. But yeah, I agree with you. However, that would pose a problem to national security as all of the states are independent without a central authority to guide them. They would be considerably weaker against foreign attacks than a unified country.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 7:22:35 PM
At 1/2/2012 7:00:34 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/2/2012 6:48:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Ancient Greece for the win. But yeah, I agree with you. However, that would pose a problem to national security as all of the states are independent without a central authority to guide them. They would be considerably weaker against foreign attacks than a unified country.

Nah we'll split the whole world up...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 9:14:41 PM
At 1/2/2012 6:42:03 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/2/2012 4:22:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Is it something like "It's the Liberal's fault"?

I think it'd be more along the lines of "it's all these gay people and atheists."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 10:44:37 PM
Sink or swim, the choice is yours.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 12:15:27 AM
At 1/2/2012 2:10:00 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:55:45 PM, Wnope wrote:

The people who complain that children do not obey their parents are the same individuals who did not obey their own parents.

I love how everyone totally ignores this post. Makes me feel good. :)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 12:16:26 AM

Eh, I get feelings of dread sometimes, but then I normally just take a shower, get some shut-eye, play some LIVE, and eat some food.....and I feel better. :D
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2012 7:12:32 AM
At 1/2/2012 2:39:56 PM, innomen wrote:
I think we're in for some sort of societal correction, however this will be within the next 15 years (I don't mean until, but within). Our values are not able to sustain the material hunger that seems to be inherent in our society, so that drastic changes will happen.

I have said it before, when the left and the right find common ground the establishment will crumble.

Left - Want bigger government and higher taxes
Right - Want smaller government and lower taxes

Compromise - Larger government and lower taxes. What could go wrong?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...