Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sociological question - Can you answer it?

Buckethead31594
Posts: 363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 3:49:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Pre-societal history was uninfluenced by human society.
The universe outside of earth again uninfluenced by human society.

Unless you are looking towards societal involved entities that are immune to the effects of society.
However, all such entities are defined as societal involved entities due to the fact they are influenced by society.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 3:53:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Tbh, I don't think there is anything. Everybody is pressured by society to some extent so unless we include basic functions such as eating or sleeping there probably isn't anything.
Buckethead31594
Posts: 363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:11:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Your probably both correct. My professor proposed this question, and I wanted hear some input :)
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:25:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hunt. Fish. I don't do any of those things because society pressures me to. I would say being politically incorrect, but I do that for a few reasons. 1) better jokes 2) people need to be able to laugh at themselves. It's not my job to make sure they aren't offended. 3) society wants me to be politically correct and that pisses me off because I think people should be able laugh at themselves and stereotypes about them.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Breathe
Eat
Drink
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
MasterKage
Posts: 1,257
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:45:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

Man, LK got it before me. I was going to say eating.

DARN YOU LK!!!
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Hardcore.Pwnography
Posts: 4,720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:57:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 5:45:46 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

Man, LK got it before me. I was going to say eating.

DARN YOU LK!!!

Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
So is breathing, as people smoke, you get second hand smoke, and your breathing is messed up.
Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.

I would say that the unexplored parts of the universe is uninfluenced by human scoiety.
MasterKage
Posts: 1,257
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 6:03:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 5:57:12 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:45:46 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

Man, LK got it before me. I was going to say eating.

DARN YOU LK!!!

Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
Lol I need to be beefed up.
So is breathing, as people smoke, you get second hand smoke, and your breathing is messed up.
How does society control this?
Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.
Only partially.

I would say that the unexplored parts of the universe is uninfluenced by human scoiety.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Hardcore.Pwnography
Posts: 4,720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 6:07:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
-Lol I need to be beefed up.
-- Why do you need to be beefed? For the wrestling team? That is influenced by society.

So is breathing, as people smoke, you get second hand smoke, and your breathing is messed up.
-How does society control this?
-- If you live in a society that consists of all smokers, then your breathing would be influenced.

Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.
-Only partially.
-- No, all. I'm sure you've drunk coke before. How did you hear about coke? From ads. from your friends, from society. If there was no society, you wouldn't be drinking coke. Therefore, it influences drinking.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:14:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

I believe it was specified that this type of thing didn't count.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:15:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 6:07:08 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
-Lol I need to be beefed up.
-- Why do you need to be beefed? For the wrestling team? That is influenced by society.

So is breathing, as people smoke, you get second hand smoke, and your breathing is messed up.
-How does society control this?
-- If you live in a society that consists of all smokers, then your breathing would be influenced.

Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.
-Only partially.
-- No, all. I'm sure you've drunk coke before. How did you hear about coke? From ads. from your friends, from society. If there was no society, you wouldn't be drinking coke. Therefore, it influences drinking.

I don't drink coke. I don't like it.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:47:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't drink coke. I don't like it.

This. Honestly, I like root beer. The availability of it is affected (or is it effected? probably A-ffectecd) by my society and geography (South Mississippi, BTW) but my liking of it is not. I root beer's strong flavor vs. something like coke.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:51:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 6:03:29 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:57:12 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:45:46 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

Man, LK got it before me. I was going to say eating.

DARN YOU LK!!!

Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
Lol I need to be beefed up.
The basic action of eating is not influenced by society, though.
So is breathing, as people smoke, you get second hand smoke, and your breathing is messed up.
How does society control this?
Like above, the basic aspect of breathing is not influenced by society. And society controls smoking by smoking in the first place.
Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.
Only partially.
How ONLY partially? And the basic action of drinking fluids is essential and not influenced by society, also.

I would say that the unexplored parts of the universe is uninfluenced by human scoiety.

Yeah. And I bet aliens are wondering the exact same thing.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:22:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.

But society, in some way or another influenced your tastes.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:26:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:22:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.

But society, in some way or another influenced your tastes.

How can society influence my tatses. If it did that would mean I cared what people thaught, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:30:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:26:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:22:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.

But society, in some way or another influenced your tastes.

How can society influence my tatses. If it did that would mean I cared what people thaught, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

When I make something it is for my own selfish and self centered reasons.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:49:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:30:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:26:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:22:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.

But society, in some way or another influenced your tastes.

How can society influence my tatses. If it did that would mean I cared what people thaught, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

When I make something it is for my own selfish and self centered reasons.

That evades the point. Doing something for your own self-centered reasons and not giving a care about what people think is still not answering my point. What you may think looks cool may be different if you grew up in a Hindu society.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 11:18:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 9:51:17 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 6:03:29 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:57:12 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:45:46 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Breathe
Eat
Drink

Man, LK got it before me. I was going to say eating.

DARN YOU LK!!!

Eating is influenced by society..... Society tells you to be thin, you eat less.
Lol I need to be beefed up.
The basic action of eating is not influenced by society, though.

the fact that you need to eat has nothing to do with society, but what you eat, when you eat, how you eat, how you prepare your food, etc, are all highly socially influenced.

Drinking, again influenced by society. Think of all those college kids who drink alcohol, underage.
Only partially.
How ONLY partially? And the basic action of drinking fluids is essential and not influenced by society, also.

again, while the basic action of consuming fluid is essential to human life, what you drink, the container you drink from, how/when/where you obtain the liquid are all determined, to a degree, by society. you can't "drink" in the abstract (or eat for that matter) without drinking something in particular, at a particular time, from a particular container, etc, meaning that social influence is pervasive in such situations.

even with breathing, "society" has changed the composition of the air, such that the relative abundance of molecules entering your lungs is different than what it would be were there no industrial revolution.

however this sort of thing seems to be a far cry from what people mean when they talk about society influencing everything in the cultural relativism sense. at least for the breathing example, the influence is purely physical. culture/beliefs/etc don't come into it at all.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 12:10:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Fetisha; idiosyncrasies and other pathological behavior.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 3:59:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:18:08 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
- Personally cooking my food. My decision to cook has nothing to do with the influences of society.

What you cook actually has a lot to do with society. If you lived in an Islamic or Jewish society [or practically any society located in or around desert regions] you probably wouldn't eat pork.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 4:28:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

I be myself.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 6:31:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Rotate on the surface of a near spherical object whizzing through space at great speeds? Seriously though, because you are asking "connected" people (ie people on the interwebs) the answer is likely to be nothing.
sadolite
Posts: 8,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:42:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/13/2012 10:49:08 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:30:49 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:26:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:22:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:20:17 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/13/2012 3:38:29 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
Name one thing that you do that is not in some way influenced by society.

Making something from nothing or customizing something to my own taste. Society has no influence what so ever in those decisions. I could care less what society thinks of what I have created or customized.

But society, in some way or another influenced your tastes.

How can society influence my tatses. If it did that would mean I cared what people thaught, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

When I make something it is for my own selfish and self centered reasons.

That evades the point. Doing something for your own self-centered reasons and not giving a care about what people think is still not answering my point. What you may think looks cool may be different if you grew up in a Hindu society.

"What you may think looks cool "

Why do you keep thinking what I do is for "looks or approval" I don't create things because I want other people to look at them and think they are cool, You are saying that. I create to serve my own selfish needs and no one elses. You assaume that what I create is for asthetics and for people to look at like art.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 10:36:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Eating and sleeping are definitely influenced by society. When/where you sleep and when/where/what you eat are especially influenced by society. For example- In the United States, it is considered normal to eat three meals a day. We get hungry three times a day but it's not because humans naturally eat three meals a day- it's because our society tells us to. Same goes for the time we sleep and the time we sleep in.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.