Jump to topic:

Regional generalizations

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 4:33:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know I sometimes get yelled at here for any generalizations I make about people, but here goes again:

I'm currently at a 4 day sales meeting in Orlando for our eastern half of the US (mind numbingly boring and predictable stuff), but there are about 1300 of us here from all areas of the eastern half of the US. I'm sitting with the group from New England, specifically Boston.

It's quite apparent to me that we're different than the others. They seem way more gullible and happy, whereas we're making fun of the speakers and incredibly cynical about the whole thing. The people from the Great Lakes area and Tennesee Valley are just sort of bubbly and happy, but sort of goofy and well....dim. Whereas the people from the south seem a bit more friendly and a bit savvy (which surprises me). Those of us from NE are more guarded and serious except when we're making fun of others, and when it comes to social interaction I would like to say that we're more articulate and astute, but less friendly and definitely more snobby. The best group are the ones from Puerto Rico, they seem to be the most fun, and don't give a crap about much. I'd like to be sitting with them.

So, would anyone like to make some generalizations from observation about regional differences?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 8:57:03 AM
I'm a Jersey boy, born and raised. South Jersey, specifically, meaning there's a lot less Jersey-shoring and a lot more duck-and-covering on a daily basis. Aside from college in Rhode Island, the majority of my time outside of NJ has been in California, my fiancée's home state. From the moment I stepped onto west coast soil, I realized things were very, very different there from what I was used to.

The sarcastic jabs and cynical remarks I threw out upon speaking with her friends and co-workers, each of which I considered to be a simple hi-how-are-ya in east coast speak, were met with genuine surprise and hurt feelings (a phenomenon I had abandoned as a middle schooler). I found myself having to replace my normal realism for optimism and needing to feign excitement often so as not to appear comatose by their standards.

I spent considerable time in LA, Santa Monica, and Long Beach over the years and the atmosphere of each seemed palpably brighter, louder, and slower than the comparatively busier and washed-out streets of Philly, New York, and Camden. The populations, both native and tourist, are obviously very different for each set and I often found myself playing the fascinated observer, taking in the numerous differences in clothing, speech, pace, and general outlook on life.

Regional differences exist and are embraced by the proud populations in question. They're also a lot of fun to take in.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:54:01 AM
So, would anyone like to make some generalizations from observation about regional differences?:

I've lived in every corner of the United States and have a deep appreciation for the minor cultural differences that exist. In chronological order I will list certain nuances I've noticed.

Miami, FL: It is the epicenter of vanity in the U.S. It far exceeds L.A. in that respect. Because of the high Cuban population, there is a noticeable accent that Miamians are not even aware, and I find it obnoxious. It's very fast paced and extremely self-centered. People are of average intelligence.

Virginia Beach, VA: Unadulterated @ssholes... Stand-offish, sullen, insular, and while more progressive than many other Southern cities, the ignorance level is still atrocious. It's situated right in the Bible Belt and people still cling to annoying idiosyncracies. For instance, it's actually a misdemeanor to curse in public. People are of average intelligence.

San Diego, CA: Probably my favorite city I've ever lived. People are active there and very laid back. Not much pretentiousness there, as they prefer a mellow, but upbeat attitude about life. Fairly friendly. People are of above average intelligence.

Phoenix/Flagstaff, AZ: Boring, inactive people. They tend to have a lot of small town mannerisms, but they also tend to be very independent and stand off'ish in a lot of respects. People are of low intelligence.

Portland, OR: Relaxed attitudes and very active people. For the most part very friendly, but not in an obnoxiosly bubbly way. People there tend to be very self-sufficient and self-reliant. People here are of higher intelligence.

Los Angeles, CA: Surprisingly not as bad as I had anticipated. Life there is very fast-paced and the drivers are ferocious. They don't take a lot of crap from people, but they are surprisingly warm people for the most part, so long as you don't cross them. People here are of average intelligence.

Portsmouth, NH: The whole New England area in general annoys me. Some people there that are really nice tend to be fat, inactive idiots, but the one's that are a little pretentious can actually back up their wit with a sharp mind. They don't have a lot of sympathy for outsiders and are very proud of their northeasterness... why, I don't know. Flagstaff and New Hampshire were the worst places I've ever lived. People here are of above average intelligence.

Austin, TX: What a diamond in the rough. Surrounded in a sea of idiotic, backwards-thinking state of Texas, is this small island of normal people. People here are extremely active and outgoing. They're friendly but not obnoxiously so. The people have light-hearted humor and tend to be very patient with others. A laid back atmosphere. People here of above average intelligence.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)