Jump to topic:

Abolishing Birthright Citizenship

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 5:12:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is your opinion on the now common rhetoric of abolishing birthright citizenship in the United States?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 10:39:55 AM
At 1/21/2012 5:12:30 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
What is your opinion on the now common rhetoric of abolishing birthright citizenship in the United States?

This sets a dangerous precedent for defining noncitizens. It could be used to eliminate anybody that the ruling party wishes to disenfranchise (basically members of the opposing parties/members of groups that tend to support the opposing party.)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 10:43:50 AM
At 1/21/2012 5:12:30 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

If your parent is illegal then the kid is also illegal.

This policy is an enabler. I can go to the US have a kid and vioala I have a citizen tie to the US.

If your parents are legal, thats a different story...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 2:51:17 PM
What is this exactly? Does it mean that if an immigrant has a child in the US the child is automatically a US citizen? Sorry for my ignorance about this issue, I'm not an American. :/
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 6:34:26 PM
At 1/21/2012 2:51:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
What is this exactly? Does it mean that if an immigrant has a child in the US the child is automatically a US citizen? Sorry for my ignorance about this issue, I'm not an American. :/

Basically, anybody who is born on U.S. territory/soil is an American citizen, as per the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. Some conservatives (strange, since they normally only care about what the Constitution stipulates) despise this notion because it permits the children of illegal immigrants to become citizens.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 7:10:24 PM
At 1/21/2012 6:34:26 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/21/2012 2:51:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Basically, anybody who is born on U.S. territory/soil is an American citizen, as per the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. Some conservatives (strange, since they normally only care about what the Constitution stipulates) despise this notion because it permits the children of illegal immigrants to become citizens.

That last bit seems pretty hypocritical to me.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 7:31:33 PM
It has its flaws, but I cant really think of any inherently better system. Of course, I havent done any research on it.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right