Jump to topic:

Austin, Texas

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 7:58:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So I'm headed to Austin (I'll be downtown Fri and Sat), and the plan was that my father was going to split off while I'm out on the scene and take my daughter to the gulf. Apparently, however, there is so much industry and sewage problems that you can't go anywhere near it.

You know, I don't ask a lot from my society. I don't demand a whole lot of goods and services (to save money) and I try to be as sustainable as possible in my practices. I guess I'm to blame though, because I cooperate in this society and I don't take molotov cocktails to every environmentally-damaging activity I see. I've bought a laptop and car (and probably a home soon) and I don't live off of beetles and buffalo hides. But there has to be a happy medium in between consume-all-you-want and live-like-a-caveman. Perhaps not complete minimalism but at least a healthy dose of reducing, reusing, and recycling.

The fact that an entire section of the coast is destroyed is something that really pisses me off. Not surprisingly, of course, being in Texas which is a highly conservative state with a traditionalistic political culture. They probably dump and pollute where-ever and when-ever they want because they don't want big guvment telling them what they can do with their land. Well it ain't your [expletive deleted] land you Republican [expletive deleted], it's everybody's and now my daughter is going to have to settle for some hotel swimming pool or at best some pond somewhere in Austin (apparently there are spots to go).

To everyone on DDO that tells me we're "cleaner than we've ever been," really... [expletive deleted]. To you, "clean" must be the chlorinated waters of a hotel swimming pool while you watch the ocean out a window. To you, "progress" must be producing more widgets while our natural resources are sacrificed. To you, "justice" must be a company taking a piece of land and destroying it in order to utilize their God-given "freedom" to own it and do whatever they want with it. To you, "freedom" must mean "the ability to forfeit the natural rights of others to forward your personal interests." And don't give me this "subjective natural rights" routine; I don't think any air-breathing human can tell me that my ability to swim at a beach in the gulf isn't a natural right of mine, or that it somehow ranks lower than someone's ability to produce and use a shamwow to dust their videotape rewinder.

When we create legal rights, we are simply deleting natural rights to the things put here for everybody. Nobody creates a beach, and there is not a set of reasoning that we could have that would yield the decision to destroy one. Not if it meant stopping an invading army of terrorists; not if it meant creating artificial hearts for those with heart disease; not if it meant the greatest scientific discovery of all time. Our values are naturally subjective and flawed and when we put them above the natural environment we fail. There's some leeway but it usually involves a sustainable design that doesn't alter the Earth's natural systems. If we wouldn't sacrifice somebody's lungs to create a widget, why would we sacrifice the air we breathe? If we wouldn't drain somebody's blood to provide a service, why would we sacrifice a beach?
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 9:15:39 PM
Other than the opening sentence, what the hell does this have to do with Austin? o.0

Fret not, Rob. Austin is generally known as a Green city. Enjoy your stay.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 9:31:58 PM
When we create legal rights, we are simply deleting natural rights to the things put here for everybody.
Lolteleology
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 9:17:41 AM
At 1/23/2012 9:15:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Other than the opening sentence, what the hell does this have to do with Austin? o.0

Fret not, Rob. Austin is generally known as a Green city. Enjoy your stay.

Um. I guess the tangent kind of dominated didn't it. Tail wagging the dog.
Rob
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:01:17 PM
Well, if you are going to Austin, we should meet up so that you can really smell what it feels like to be next to The Cosmic Alfonzo.

I'm downtown or near downtown so much that I practically live there.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 4:31:45 PM
At 1/24/2012 1:01:17 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Well, if you are going to Austin, we should meet up so that you can really smell what it feels like to be next to The Cosmic Alfonzo.

I'm downtown or near downtown so much that I practically live there.:

I'll be in downtown this Saturday. If I see you bastards there, first round of beer is on me!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 5:08:42 PM
Yeah, Austin isn't that dirty. Get off a bus into downtown Chicago, and the first thing you'll notice is that every breathe feels like taking a drag off of a cigarette.

There is a powerplant near downtown in Austin, and it doesn't even seem to give off bad air. I never see zmoke exhaust coming from it. I'm actually kind of curious about whether or not the thing is operational. That's how quiet it is.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:04:26 AM
Austin is often called the "bubble of sanity in a pile of sh|t."
I hear it's quite nice there.

-Austen Samyn
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 2:52:44 PM
Most people wouldn't call Austin sane, this place is a gathering ground for hippies, freaks, weirdos, oddballs, and the strange. Austin is pretty awesome.

The cops aren't raging arseholes here either, which shocks me. In Chicago, everything a cop says is barbed and condescending. They are also very quick to use force.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 2:59:33 PM
At 1/24/2012 5:08:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yeah, Austin isn't that dirty. Get off a bus into downtown Chicago, and the first thing you'll notice is that every breathe feels like taking a drag off of a cigarette.

New York City makes Chicago seem like a flowery meadow.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 3:03:11 PM
Given the population density, that doesn't really surprise me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 4:29:21 PM
Chicago looks just like NYC except it's way smaller, infinitely cleaner, more spacious and doesn't smell like urine. Everything also seems more efficient and the people are far more pleasant. Even the homeless people are nicer. I much prefer the culture (especially diversity) and overall vibe of NYC, but Chicago definitely has a lot of superior qualities. I wish I got to spend more time there to really explore. What made you choose Austin, btw?
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 4:33:36 PM
A hypothesis for the apparent cleanliness of Chicago--

they roll all the filthy into a few big piles, then perfume those piles and call them politicians.

So like most people do, but more so.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:28:59 PM
That's exactly what they do with all the filth in Chicago.

Well, all the filth downtown... Chicago is a scumpit, at least where I am from.

I moved to Austin because I was given advice on multiple occasions that it would be a good move for me, given my profession.

Still establishing myself here, got a lot of networking to do.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:37:30 PM
Sorry I have been traveling and not on the internet. I'll be hitting the clubs downtown tonight mostly to dance and do it up... Tomorrow my les friend is taking me to the "lipstick 24" which is a gay bar where there's supposed to be a birthday party.
Rob
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:40:20 PM
At 1/27/2012 5:28:59 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That's exactly what they do with all the filth in Chicago.

Well, all the filth downtown... Chicago is a scumpit, at least where I am from.
I lived for a short time in a suburb of Chicago, that's full of human scum from the politiciains to the petty officials. Never was in the city itself though.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:42:48 PM
As a southerner, I advise those not from the south to consider the heat and humidity during the summer if you want to move to the area. It may be all and good that you have a warm winter--its currently 60-something outside my door--but it gets really hot during the summer.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:43:18 PM
Austin was rated #1 city in the US for Young Adults in a Forbes study I read sometime back. On top of that, 4 Texan cities placed in the top ten (YEAH TEXAS!!!). I hear Austin is great for the amount of youth (well, if you're one), the nightlife, the music, the food, employment opportunities, and that it's just plain awesome. I think on that same list, the only real reason it beat NYC (pretty sure NYC was #3) was due to cost of living. And Chicago was #4 or #5. Maybe I can find the article somewhere...
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 9:58:33 PM
At 1/27/2012 5:42:48 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
As a southerner, I advise those not from the south to consider the heat and humidity during the summer if you want to move to the area. It may be all and good that you have a warm winter--its currently 60-something outside my door--but it gets really hot during the summer.

60-something is the average summer temperature here in England. When the temperature goes much above that we have headlines such as "Britain Sizzles in the Seventies" and "Heatwave sees Temperatures Soar into the Seventies".

I often wonder where people who live in warm climates go on vacation in the summertime. Somewhere like Alaska or Siberia, presumably?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 10:16:33 PM
At 1/27/2012 9:58:33 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

60-something is the average summer temperature here in England. When the temperature goes much above that we have headlines such as "Britain Sizzles in the Seventies" and "Heatwave sees Temperatures Soar into the Seventies".

I often wonder where people who live in warm climates go on vacation in the summertime. Somewhere like Alaska or Siberia, presumably?

Further South. Florida.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 11:45:20 PM
At 1/27/2012 9:58:33 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Inside, where the AC brings the temperature to a cool 98 degrees. It is rather freeing though, having a reason to walk around the house in nothing except boxers and a sleeveless shirt. I went bear hunting in Montana in the middle of summer a few years ago and loved the fact that it never got higher than 75 degrees the entire time we were in camp.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N