Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Are We Dependent On Technology ?

inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 12:08:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Too dependent, that is. Just think of what this world would be like if there was no cell phone, internet, video games, television, or automobiles. Actually before the late part of the 19th century, this was truly the case. But just imagine if we were to have all of these wonderful inventions taken away from our society at the blink of an eye. Never to be used ever again. What do you think would happen ?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 12:37:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 12:08:08 PM, inferno wrote:
Too dependent, that is. Just think of what this world would be like if there was no cell phone, internet, video games, television, or automobiles. Actually before the late part of the 19th century, this was truly the case. But just imagine if we were to have all of these wonderful inventions taken away from our society at the blink of an eye. Never to be used ever again. What do you think would happen ?

These technologies provide us with the ability to exchange ideas, information, and survive. Without the automobile, for example, it would be almost impossible to drive individuals in critical conditions to the hospital, doctor's visits would be rare, distribution of medicines and vaccines would be almost impossible, prevalence of disease would increase, product costs would increase due to inability to ship, travel to other parts of the world would be minimal and horrendous, crime frequency would increase due to the lack of an effective police force, etc.

In short, the world would be an even more horrendous place to live.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 12:40:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 12:37:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/24/2012 12:08:08 PM, inferno wrote:
Too dependent, that is. Just think of what this world would be like if there was no cell phone, internet, video games, television, or automobiles. Actually before the late part of the 19th century, this was truly the case. But just imagine if we were to have all of these wonderful inventions taken away from our society at the blink of an eye. Never to be used ever again. What do you think would happen ?

These technologies provide us with the ability to exchange ideas, information, and survive. Without the automobile, for example, it would be almost impossible to drive individuals in critical conditions to the hospital, doctor's visits would be rare, distribution of medicines and vaccines would be almost impossible, prevalence of disease would increase, product costs would increase due to inability to ship, travel to other parts of the world would be minimal and horrendous, crime frequency would increase due to the lack of an effective police force, etc.

In short, the world would be an even more horrendous place to live.

Question: Why do you think technology is good, even though they "kill" jobs (through automation) but think outsourcing is bad, when it decreases the cost of goods and service as well?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 12:45:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 12:40:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/24/2012 12:37:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/24/2012 12:08:08 PM, inferno wrote:
Too dependent, that is. Just think of what this world would be like if there was no cell phone, internet, video games, television, or automobiles. Actually before the late part of the 19th century, this was truly the case. But just imagine if we were to have all of these wonderful inventions taken away from our society at the blink of an eye. Never to be used ever again. What do you think would happen ?

These technologies provide us with the ability to exchange ideas, information, and survive. Without the automobile, for example, it would be almost impossible to drive individuals in critical conditions to the hospital, doctor's visits would be rare, distribution of medicines and vaccines would be almost impossible, prevalence of disease would increase, product costs would increase due to inability to ship, travel to other parts of the world would be minimal and horrendous, crime frequency would increase due to the lack of an effective police force, etc.

In short, the world would be an even more horrendous place to live.

Question: Why do you think technology is good, even though they "kill" jobs (through automation) but think outsourcing is bad, when it decreases the cost of goods and service as well?

I agree. Manual labor is underrated.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:02:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 12:40:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/24/2012 12:37:33 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/24/2012 12:08:08 PM, inferno wrote:
Too dependent, that is. Just think of what this world would be like if there was no cell phone, internet, video games, television, or automobiles. Actually before the late part of the 19th century, this was truly the case. But just imagine if we were to have all of these wonderful inventions taken away from our society at the blink of an eye. Never to be used ever again. What do you think would happen ?

These technologies provide us with the ability to exchange ideas, information, and survive. Without the automobile, for example, it would be almost impossible to drive individuals in critical conditions to the hospital, doctor's visits would be rare, distribution of medicines and vaccines would be almost impossible, prevalence of disease would increase, product costs would increase due to inability to ship, travel to other parts of the world would be minimal and horrendous, crime frequency would increase due to the lack of an effective police force, etc.

In short, the world would be an even more horrendous place to live.

Question: Why do you think technology is good, even though they "kill" jobs (through automation) but think outsourcing is bad, when it decreases the cost of goods and service as well?

Because technology also safeguards the right to life.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:19:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hehe, if technology disappeared, just like that, people would go apesh*t and start eating each other. there would be no other food sources.

Depending on how bad the upcoming solar storms are in the next couple of years, we could all be out of electricity for a few months to a year or more. dun dun dun... :)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:45:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 1:19:51 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Hehe, if technology disappeared, just like that, people would go apesh*t and start eating each other. there would be no other food sources.

Depending on how bad the upcoming solar storms are in the next couple of years, we could all be out of electricity for a few months to a year or more. dun dun dun... :)

Solar flare storm today. It actually knocked out some GPS Systems and caused some satellite delays. (Twilight Zone theme music in background)
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 1:48:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Technology's dependent on us, that's for sure.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 2:57:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 2:11:22 PM, inferno wrote:
At 1/24/2012 1:48:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Technology's dependent on us, that's for sure.

But technology is not human. We are.

The very reason technology is dependent on us. What's your point?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
MarquisX
Posts: 925
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 1:44:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We are. But I don't think its a bad thing. It would be like asking if early humans were too dependent on primitive tools.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive